1 hour ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

Fun is as fun does.

TorchedFlamingo-sail-v3.jpg

Whatever rocks your boat.

On 10/6/2019 at 4:33 AM, IPLore said:

I like the ARC rig for Grand Masters.

Generally speaking Masters have a bit more money to spend on their boats and would welcome something that makes the boat a bit easier to sail.  Also it looks very cool.  It is the kind of upgrade that could tempt me back into racing Lasers.

So GMs need to buy one rig for regattas, and also keep updating their old rig for club racing?

• Like 1

From this side of the pond these arguments are interesting but less valid. Probably well over 90% of dinghy sailing in this tiny island  on any day is yardstick racing . So weither I turn up with a laser, radial, 4.7, c5, c6, c8 or arc has very little effect on my enjoyment of sailing/racing. Only a very small number of sailors do open meeting to class race and they will continue to do so however many rigs there are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xeon said:

From this side of the pond these arguments are interesting but less valid. Probably well over 90% of dinghy sailing in this tiny island  on any day is yardstick racing . So weither I turn up with a laser, radial, 4.7, c5, c6, c8 or arc has very little effect on my enjoyment of sailing/racing. Only a very small number of sailors do open meeting to class race and they will continue to do so however many rigs there are.

You mean Aeros can race Lasers?  Sacrilege!!

And @tillerman - @Foredeck Shufflehas a kid sailing with him in that boat and that for sure is a rocking good thing.

So is this thread now absolutely positively NOT Laser?

Making the replica sails like Rooster, Intensity, etc. legal (and for the same price do the same with replica foils), and allowing (not imposing) lighter composite masts. would do it for me...

That would push the class were I live more than anything else.

As we near the close of the 2019 D12 regatta season it looks like we'll end with a bang!  45 Lasers registered as of today for the Midlands Regatta this weekend in Columbia, SC.  

With the current head count we will have had 109 skippers compete in at least 1 of our 7 District events this year.  

A record year for the District!

Figured this belonged in the Absolutely, Positively Laser thread.

• Like 5

And edition 40 of our 6 hour laser relay race (you switch every lap with your team mate) is close to having 40 boats (80 sailors). All that on a tiny lake in the south of Amsterdam.

If you read Dutch see below. Anyway this is positive and laser...

http://wvdekoenen.nl/laser-6-uren/

• Like 6

For me, one of the biggest disconnects is to consider the Laser class as the "equipment" used for an event referred to "One Person Dinghy".

For example, this, from World Sailing:
"Council also approved the quota for The Hague 2022 Sailing World Championships where 1,220 athletes will sail in 830 boats. The Men's and Women's One Person Dinghy fleets will be the largest with 120 boats respectively. The next largest will be the Men's and Women's Windsurfer with 100, followed by the Mixed Two Person Dinghy, Men's Skiff, Women's Skiff, Mixed Multihull and Mixed Kiteboard on 70. The smallest fleet will be the Mixed Offshore Keelboat with 40 boats."

This does not reflect reality, rather is a made up thinking imposed, perhaps to justify the regular changing of "equipment" with the disciplines at World Sailing and Olympic events.

In my view, it is as appropriate for a new one design class to be introduced to sailing at the Olympic level as it would be to make up and introduce a new racquet sport. While it is possible to create new disciplines, isn't the Olympics is meant to find the best athletes in existing sports?

In fact, each one design class is its own discipline within the sport of sailing. Each class has a natural life, and it is its popularity that dictates whether or not the class becomes a national or international class. Olympic classes are in my view best chosen from the pool of international classes.

Recently, we have seen classes being created. While there have been some successes (49er, Narca 17), their success has not been at club level. Further, they have at the cost of classes like the Tornado.

Only the Laser class has successfully become a class used at all levels of sailing. In many ways, the class is the only class which connects grass root sailing with Olympic sailing. It is my hope that other classes achieve similar levels of ubiquity, that the focus of World Sailing becomes as more about growing the sport at club level than focusing on creating new classes and contests at Olympic level. 

World Sailing needs to support sailing in various local, national and international classes at all levels - and what that looks like is helping existing classes grow, by encouraging participation at more local level. Instead, we see our governing body focus on introducing classes and contests. This is in competition with national contests, and is a step away from the elite competing more regularly in their own countries. These new contests like the World Cup series are at times poorly attended, and is a poor use of World Sailing's resources. Instead, a requirement could be for all Olympic athletes to compete in their country of origin at least five regattas per year. (For some classes, this would require the establishment of local fleets). 

There is a concerning practice of countries qualifying for the Olympics, then not sending competitors. This practice is not good for the sport, as Member Nation Authorities attempt to boost their percentage of Olympic medals per competitors. This concerning practice is devastating for competitors who have dedicated years to the sport, and negatively impacts on local fleets.

If there truly is to be a progression from beginner levels (both junior and adult) to elite levels, then reconnecting our governing body with the grass roots of sailing is an imperative.

14 hours ago, Bruce Hudson said:

For me, one of the biggest disconnects is to consider the Laser class as the "equipment" used for an event referred to "One Person Dinghy".

What would you call it?

4 hours ago, bill4 said:

What would you call it?

That depends which "it" you refer to. What part of what I said do you need clarifying?

14 minutes ago, Bruce Hudson said:

That depends which "it" you refer to. What part of what I said do you need clarifying?

It appears you are taking exception to calling the Laser “equipment used for an event referred to (as) one person dinghy.” How would you prefer this phrased?

Edited by bill4
Punctuation

12 minutes ago, bill4 said:

It appears you are taking exception to calling the Laser equipment used for an event referred to (as) one person dinghy. How would you prefer this phrased?

No, that is not what I said at all. 

In my view, it is as appropriate for a new one design class to be introduced to sailing at the Olympic level as it would be to make up and introduce a new racquet sport. While it is possible to create new disciplines, isn't the Olympics is meant to find the best athletes in existing disciplines?

In fact, each one design class is its own discipline within the sport of sailing. Each class has a natural life, and it is its popularity that dictates whether or not the class becomes a national or international class. Olympic classes are in my view best chosen from the pool of international classes.

The disconnect is to consider the Laser class as the "equipment" used for an event referred to "One Person Dinghy" as  this does not reflect reality, rather is a made up thinking imposed, perhaps to justify the regular changing of "equipment" with the disciplines at World Sailing and Olympic events.

43 minutes ago, Bruce Hudson said:

The disconnect is to consider the Laser class as the "equipment" used for an event referred to "One Person Dinghy" as  this does not reflect reality...

Seems pretty real to me. Although I believe some may argue the descriptor “ILCA dinghy” is even more real.

2 minutes ago, bill4 said:

Seems pretty real to me. Although I believe some may argue the descriptor “ILCA dinghy” is even more real.

Thank you Bill for your best efforts to make a positive contribution to this topic.

My pleasure. Although if I had a clue what you were trying to say, I can safely say I would provide even more of a contribution. Are you suggesting that the IOC use the names of the sailboat class as opposed to describing the activity?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bill4 said:

My pleasure. Although if I had a clue what you were trying to say, I can safely say I would provide even more of a contribution. Are you suggesting that the IOC use the names of the sailboat class as opposed to describing the activity?

No, I'm not suggesting that.

I made the same post on the Facebook page 'The Sailor's Voice' which appears to be widely understood and have received positive feedback.

Thank you for your best efforts in your attempts to understand what I said. 

21 minutes ago, Bruce Hudson said:

No, I'm not suggesting that.

I made the same post on the Facebook page 'The Sailor's Voice' which appears to be widely understood and have received positive feedback.

Thank you for your best efforts in your attempts to understand what I said. 

Anytime.

7 hours ago, Bruce Hudson said:

In fact, each one design class is its own discipline within the sport of sailing.

I think this is the most important sentence in what Bruce is trying to say. 

Instead of thinking of the Laser as a means to an end in running a regatta for a "One Person Dinghy", the Laser or any other Olympic class should be chosen based on it's own merits and popularity to represent the pinnacle competition for the vast majority of racing sailors. 

This is the opposite to the Nacra 17 - a class designed solely to fill an Olympic 'event' equipment, with the intention of showcasing the sport of sailing, but only demonstrating what .001% of racing sailors do 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, Bruce Hudson said:

1. ....snip .... isn't the Olympics is meant to find the best athletes in existing sports?......snip,,,?,

2. ....snip.,,,,World Sailing needs to ......snip......

I removed all the totally irrelevant  stuff in your post and will address the two parts that matter: 

1. Certainly not!! The Olympics is about generating revenue for the IOC stakeholders 

2. World Sailing needs to make certain it rai$e$  whatever it   needs to fund its fundrai$ing for its internal $pending 

• Like 4

In other news D12 just finished our 2019 season at the Midlands Regatta in Columbia, SC, (results can be found on Regatta Network).  We pulled 52 Lasers to the event.  30 full rigs and 21 Radials, (nearly 100% Jr sailors in that fleet).  The results were super tight over 4 races and the annual District Championship Series award was decided by 1 point between 1st and 3rd places.  It was a massive family event with parents and kids both sailing boats!  The camping and after race party was awesome as well.

D12 had 116 different skippers show up to sail in at least 1 of our 7 regattas this year.  With 16 full rigs and 10 radials sailing in 3 or more events. 

While everyone is worried about the sky falling we're sailing and just had a record growth year!  Come sail in D12!

• Like 4

Here's a cool shot.  Conner Byrne, (2009 Irish National Champ) in the 190,000 boat.  Lucas Sawin, (recent Cressy Champ) in the 200,000 boat and some old fart in the 170,000 series boat.

DSC_0118.jpg

• Like 2

Victoria (Australia) State Laser championships are on this week in Melbourne.

The astute among you might recognise Melbourne as the location of the Worlds this (southern) summer. And the Australian Nationals, also this summer. Huge season in Melbourne this year.

This photo was posted by Vic Laser Association's Facebook page this afternoon.

Is that a class-legal ILCA sail I see there among the class-legal Laser (TM) sails?

The new world order...

Interesting to have an ILCA here in Australia, where we still have a local trademark-owning Laser (TM) manufacturer. But I guess PSA is allowed to sell class legal boats and hardware under whatever brand names they and the governing body have agreed to.

FB_IMG_1574491709308.jpg

• Like 2

In that photo of a wonderful fleet of fun toys ready to be used by many people to have a whole lot of fun, that sail looks like a cancerous growth. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

that sail looks like a cancerous growth. 

Gouv, I am sorry, but you are not making sense. You keep emphasizing that your primary effort is  to have folks come out and play with toys on the water.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 6:09 PM, Wavedancer II said:

Gouv, I am sorry, but you are not making sense. You keep emphasizing that your primary effort is  to have folks come out and play with toys on the water.

Maybe this will help:

For fifty years we all worked hard to build the Laser game. We insisted people obtain boats and replacement stuff from our one builder. The builder spent lots of its income on building and maintaining the game. 
Our mutually supportive efforts made our game the singular most successful singlehanded sailing game EVER!!!

Recently, we have builders and Class Association officers who cannot find a way to continue the teamwork. The fifty year old family is broken. 

After years of fighting, the marriage is almost certainly over. The parties are not even doing a good job of respecting the needs of the kids.

The photo:

the sail with an ILCA on it stands out as a very special profound  statement the family shall never be the same. 

3 hours ago, JMP said:

I thought LP Checked out of the US 10 years ago?

Pretty much.  My impression is it was more about incompetence related to running the business than deliberate abandonment 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

What would be your recommendation for a tent camp site if attending the midwinters in Clearwater? 

Check out state parks.  Savannah has one for tent camping and has killer cabins for $130/night, but they book up way in advance.

Yes. I thought someone with local knowledge might have the inside scoop. It really is a shame that people can’t stay at the club. I remember camping at the Midwinters years ago. Any idea why that is no longer allowed?

44 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

Yes. I thought someone with local knowledge might have the inside scoop. It really is a shame that people can’t stay at the club. I remember camping at the Midwinters years ago. Any idea why that is no longer allowed?

No.  I've never been there.

I thought party gurl might know. Maybe I can sleep In the helicopter.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Yeller said:

I thought party gurl might know. Maybe I can sleep In the helicopter.....

True. VWAP knows all the hot spots!

Don't you folks need to rename this thread with the ILCA moniker? 

16 minutes ago, Wess said:

No.

The Laser class hasn't changed its name. (There are some people trying to promote the absurd notion that the Laser class is dead, because Lasers use ILCA branding).

• Like 2

What a difference a day makes at the Laser Worlds in Melbourne.

Phil Buhl and Jean Baptiste Bernaz are looking on form and hard to beat. (Jean Baptiste has a 43 discard so could easily slip down the list.)

Image may contain: text

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wess said:

A Laser by any other name would smell as ILCA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Yes.

• Like 1

I’ll keep calling it a Laser. At least until they take the L out of ILCA.

• Like 1

It doesn’t matter a s@@t what you call it . It’s the class and the racing that matters :D

• Like 2

Sadly, in most parts of the world today there is no supplier of new class-legal Lasers. Until  that situation changes, the only option for most people who want to buy a new boat to participate in ILCA sanctioned regattas is to buy an ILCA.

Does that mean that "Laser" as a brand name for new boats is effectively dead? I guess it depends on your point of view...

Really hoping zim becomes a approved manufacturer, it would be nice to have a US built laser again

ILCA boats participating in an ILCA sanctioned Laser Worlds

17 hours ago, tillerman said:

Sadly, in most parts of the world today there is no supplier of new class-legal Lasers. Until  that situation changes, the only option for most people who want to buy a new boat to participate in ILCA sanctioned regattas is to buy an ILCA.

An interesting alternate narrative to push.

Right now, because of recent changes, both builders can supply Lasers anywhere on the globe. There are more builders in the pipeline.

What part of "anywhere" don't you get Tillerman?

I guess what you are saying is that you are frustrated because you think you can't buy a new Laser? However you can buy a new Laser in the US - and get it shipped to your home. (There is a disconnect here - Tillerman is not looking to buy a new Laser.) 

..."buy an ILCA" - is an interesting turn of phrase. ILCA branded Lasers are still Lasers. But keep pushing the alternate narrative. I am confident that a minority will continue to swallow these alternate narratives.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruce Hudson said:

..."buy an ILCA" - is an interesting turn of phrase. ILCA branded Lasers are still Lasers. 

If they are still Lasers are not not in breach of the tradename?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bruce Hudson said:

Right now, because of recent changes, both builders can supply Lasers anywhere on the globe. There are more builders in the pipeline.

What part of "anywhere" don't you get Tillerman?

Hi Bruce,

I guess you can add Sosoomi and me to the list.

I dont get it.

How can PSA supply Lasers in the USA or Europe?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IPLore said:

How can PSA supply Lasers in the USA or Europe?

This ad by PSA in the Fall 2019 issue of The Laser Sailor is instructive. it appears to be offering some charter boats at various events in Florida and the sale of those charter boats after the events. But what boats are they offering?

The brand name of the boat is prominently displayed - ILCA.

A reference to PSA's credibility as a boat builder refers to their history as "Kirby boat builders."

There is absolutely no reference in the ad to the boats offered as being "Lasers." I think we all know why.

Screen_Shot_2020-02-16_at_9_36.33_PM.thumb.png.2b26a88b2ce23c3c88b55307eb75e6cb.png

And here is a screen shot from the psasailing.com website of some boats being sold by PSA in Australia. The boats are specifically referred to as ILCA 4, ILCA 6 and ILCA 7. You can also buy an ILCA hull only. 

1039687377_ScreenShot2020-02-16at9_45_19PM.thumb.png.41a6fa541b5cd5f56c948ed8f4fbc120.png

Surely it is very clear that PSA are selling ILCAs both in the Australian domestic market and internationally.

Indeed all the boats supplied by PSA for the recently completed World Championship in Australia were ILCAs.

yysw280654.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully it is too early to say for sure if Philipp Buhl won the last Laser world championship.

1101401396_LastoftheLasers.thumb.JPG.e822d07a53b9fb5782b2a6346445de0a.JPG

Philipp Buhl is the world champion of whatever anybody wants to call this boat, ILCA or Laser. Do not deny him of this incredible athletic feat or tarnish it with all this petty bullshit. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, tillerman said:

Indeed all the boats supplied by PSA for the recently completed World Championship in Australia were ILCAs.

yysw280654.jpg

The event sails for an ILCA event had the ILCA logo on them.

Has anybody looked at the rest of the boat? Any Laser starbursts on any of the rigging?

5 hours ago, bill4 said:

Philipp Buhl is the world champion of whatever anybody wants to call this boat, ILCA or Laser. Do not deny him of this incredible athletic feat or tarnish it with all this petty bullshit. 

The kid sailing a Laser off a beach just for fun and learning deserves just as much respect; not that ILCA leadership gives a hoot about him or her. So come on nobody took anything away from Buhl. Just pointing out ILCA name games. 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, bill4 said:

Congratulations to Herr Bull on his convincing win. A win is a win whatever the boat is called.

But the trademarks on the boats that Mr. Kirby designed are by no means a petty matter. Who would have thought that two words in tiny writing on the back of the cockpit could be worth $6.8 million?  I am pretty sure PSA are too smart to try sailing boats using any Laser trademarks in the parts of he world where they don't have the rights to those trademarks. That's why they are calling the boats ILCAs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSherxQpSzVjk4gGbrMYgO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneGoat said:

The event sails for an ILCA event had the ILCA logo on them.

Has anybody looked at the rest of the boat? Any Laser starbursts on any of the rigging?

And yet on the ILCA website the event is referred to as the Laser Worlds. In all seriousness, can any of the esteemed counselors in the room explain this?

It’s been explained any number of times. If you don’t understand by now you never will.

Unless of course you just want to go over old ground again and again and again. 

Which is not uncommon on here to be honest  ;) ;) :D

Edited by Xeon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tillerman said:

Congratulations to Herr Bull on his convincing win. A win is a win whatever the boat is called.

But the trademarks on the boats that Mr. Kirby designed are by no means a petty matter. Who would have thought that two words in tiny writing on the back of the cockpit could be worth $6.8 million?  I am pretty sure PSA are too smart to try sailing boats using any Laser trademarks in the parts of he world where they don't have the rights to those trademarks. That's why they are calling the boats ILCAs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSherxQpSzVjk4gGbrMYgO

Do you have Mr. Kirby's permission to claim that he designed the ILCA dinghy? :D

That is a bold claim my friend

20 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

What does that L stand for? 

Impending Legal Claims Ad-infinitum

ILCA Dinghy

;)

• Like 1

There are several other threads dedicated to ILCA/Laser bashing, which is good sport for some. This is the rogue thread for those who want to toss in the odd compliment, thumbs up, prop, or generally other positive comment about the boat. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bill4 said:
16 minutes ago, IPLore said:

Do you have Mr. Kirby's permission to claim that he designed the ILCA dinghy? :D

That is a bold claim my friend

I am sure that all ILCA sailors would gladly recognize the enormous contribution that Bruce Kirby has made to the sport of sailing. And there can be no dispute that the ILCA, the Laser and the Torch are all built to Bruce Kirby's design. I am absolutely positive of that.

• Like 2

An outstanding picture of an outstanding victory for the 2020 Laser world champs.

Outstanding article too.

image.thumb.png.e3440aba904b359263e211605a2b69d5.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bill4 said:

There are several other threads dedicated to ILCA/Laser bashing, which is good sport for some. This is the rogue thread for those who want to toss in the odd compliment, thumbs up, prop, or generally other positive comment about the boat. 

Not that threads EVER get hijacked on SA.....

55 minutes ago, Xeon said:

It’s been explained any number of times. If you don’t understand by now you never will.

I see. Proceed with caution. Understanding is a moving target.

24 minutes ago, bill4 said:

I love the boat and the people.

I have supported the good intentions of the class officers through thick and thin.

However I also have a wicked sense of humor .....and the opportunities to poke a little fun at Tillerman and Gouv (who I trust take my comments in good humor) occasionally overwhelm me.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:14 PM, Wess said:

I found the hijacker! Everything was fine on this thread until Wess came along :)

2 minutes ago, IPLore said:

I love the boat and the people.

I have supported the good intentions of the class officers through thick and thin.

However I also have a wicked sense of humor .....and the opportunities to poke a little fun at Tillerman and Gouv (who I trust take my comments in good humor) occasionally overwhelm me.

Oh I get it! And I respect your views. But it gets to be like every channel being the  same on TV! And seeing reruns of Wess on every channel is just wrong...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IPLore said:

Hopefully it is too early to say for sure if Philipp Buhl won the last Laser world championship.

1101401396_LastoftheLasers.thumb.JPG.e822d07a53b9fb5782b2a6346445de0a.JPG

It will be interesting to see what name is used in future for the world championship of boats approved by ILCA. But is it too early to speculate that Tom Burton might well be the last person ever to win an ILCA world championship which was actually sailed in Lasers?

19 minutes ago, Bruce Hudson said:

An outstanding picture of an outstanding victory for the 2020 Laser world champs.

Outstanding article too.

Except the article was simply a cut and paste , in its entirety, of the press release from the event.

It would be nice , if once in a while, the sailing media actually made a few calls, did a few interviews and wrote some original copy on an event of this importance.

The Laser is still the single most competitive class in the sport of sailing. The Laser World Championship is one of the pinnacles of the sport. The top 15 sailors in the world championship are at the peak of their performance in the Olympic year.  It would be nice if the sailing media actually gave us some insights into what happened at the event other than regurgitating the press releases which we have all already read 12 hours earlier.

Thank god for Jon Emmet

But still not much analysis. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, IPLore said:

It would be nice , if once in a while, the sailing media actually made a few calls, did a few interviews and wrote some original copy on an event of this importance.

lemme know when you find that sailing media

Reality check... event of this importance??

I care. I would probably read an article about the event 

Maybe there are 10,000 others on the planet who would care enough to read an article about the event but I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

Reality check... event of this importance??

I care. I would probably read an article about the event 

Maybe there are 10,000 others on the planet who would care enough to read an article about the event but I doubt it. 

Even I will admit that the Laser has a bigger following than the Viper 640 . Since we had 30,200 engagements on Facebook + 16,012 unique users following the event on our website during the 2019 Viper 640 World Championship, I am sure the potential Laser audience is bigger than 10,000.

But then, of course we had the incomparable Mary Ewenson + Buttons Padin + Fletch "the web guru" Boland pushing out content every day, including OTW commentary from Dan Tucker and imagery from Sharon Greene.  

Since one of the Mambo Kings was participating in the Laser Worlds and was having the regatta of his life, I followed every minute of it that I could. It was difficult to get much from public media. But there were plenty of stories. I also liked Jon's videos but I was getting emails and texts as well.   The real story is that it was one of the most grueling, most competitive Laser World Championship that anyone can remember.  Philipp Buhl's big air sailing was astonishing.  JB's black flag in the first race of the finals and then scoring a 32 nd three races later was a heart breaker. Imagine having to discard a 7th and count a 32nd.   Many of us who from afar had been confounded by the news that AS picked Matt Wearn to represent Aussie in the Olympics over the reigning 2019 world champion and Olympic Gold Medallist Tom Burton , were given a partial explanation in Melbourne. Plus there were lots of smaller stories of injuries and comebacks.

I am sure that someone who was there can give us some incredible stories. Mine are all second hand.

A regatta of this magnitude, encompassing unbelievable talent and interesting personalities, with some big breeze sailing......yeah Im sure there were media opportunities in Melbourne.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Even I will admit that the Laser has a bigger following than the Viper 640 . Since we had 30,200 engagements on Facebook + 16,012 unique users following the event on our website during the 2019 Viper 640 World Championship, I am sure the potential Laser audience is bigger than 10,000.

But then, of course we had the incomparable Mary Ewenson + Buttons Padin + Fletch "the web guru" Boland pushing out content every day, including OTW commentary from Dan Tucker and imagery from Sharon Greene.  

Since one of the Mambo Kings was participating in the Laser Worlds and was having the regatta of his life, I followed every minute of it that I could. It was difficult to get much from public media. But there were plenty of stories. I also liked Jon's videos but I was getting emails and texts as well.   The real story is that it was one of the most grueling, most competitive Laser World Championship that anyone can remember.  Philipp Buhl's big air sailing was astonishing.  JB's black flag in the first race of the finals and then scoring a 32 nd three races later was a heart breaker. Imagine having to discard a 7th and count a 32nd.   Many of us who from afar had been confounded by the news that AS picked Matt Wearn to represent Aussie in the Olympics over the reigning 2019 world champion and Olympic Gold Medallist Tom Burton , were given a partial explanation in Melbourne. Plus there were lots of smaller stories of injuries and comebacks.

I am sure that someone who was there can give us some incredible stories. Mine are all second hand.

A regatta of this magnitude, encompassing unbelievable talent and interesting personalities, with some big breeze sailing......yeah Im sure there were media opportunities in Melbourne.

Yes ,great event and another one coming up. Not much Negative discussion on where the class is today. Just hardcore racers and their teams having a good time 

• Like 1

There where 400+ Laser in Sandringham the day I was there.    (I was in a sea of Lasers stacked 6 high)

I'm guessing over 3/4's of those are now in containers being shipped all around Austrailia and the world.

Another 250+ fleet is about to desend on Geelong for the masters.

That's where the 49er/FX/Nacra's where, 160 49ers/FX. 93 registered coach boats, another 40-50 un-registered.

Melbourne turned it on in a very big way, great sailing, great venues, they have done it well!

No rest for PSA/Caldecoat under early April!