1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

Interesting point.  Given that WS depends pretty much solely on the olymipcs income I wonder if a cancellation of the 2020 games could be the end of WS as we know it?

Please don't feed the trolls 

This is a positive thread to encourage sailing 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Interesting point.  Given that WS depends pretty much solely on the olymipcs income I wonder if a cancellation of the 2020 games could be the end of WS as we know it?

This is kicking around in the Olympic thread

Interesting results... not just because Marit won by only two points, but also because four of the top ten were from the Netherlands - including first and second. In my book, that is domination!

image.thumb.png.ffc53a2b2ed643636edbc63181ebd07c.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bruce Hudson said:

2020 ILCA Laser Masters World Championships

293 Entries from 25 Countries

https://sailing.laserinternational.org/site/event-site/112/entrylist

The six Laser Master Worlds I sailed were among the most exciting and fulfilling events of my 35 year Laser sailing career. And of those six, the most enjoyable was undoubtedly the 2008 Masters Worlds in Terrigal in Australia. Here is one of the blog posts I wrote about it -  Never Failed to Fail - one of the many posts I wrote on the theme that if a thing is worth doing it's worth doing badly.

Alt_20080207-All_dressed_up_and_nowhere_

It's good to see the Masters Worlds back in Australia and to see so many of my friends competing there.

Will you be at the Masters Worlds @Bruce Hudson?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tillerman said:

The six Laser Master Worlds I sailed were among the most exciting and fulfilling events of my 35 year Laser sailing career. And of those six, the most enjoyable was undoubtedly the 2008 Masters Worlds in Terrigal in Australia. Here is one of the blog posts I wrote about it -  Never Failed to Fail - one of the many posts I wrote on the theme that if a thing is worth doing it's worth doing badly.

Alt_20080207-All_dressed_up_and_nowhere_

It's good to see the Masters Worlds back in Australia and to see so many of my friends competing there.

Tiller - You never failed to fail again.  This thread has to be for TLC and LL and LPE supporters because its about the Laser.  Those in ILCA now sail ILCAs and that thread is the third door down on the left.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wess said:

That clever Mr. Stills used several of the titles of my blog posts about the 2008 Masters Worlds in his little song about the Southern Cross.

4 minutes ago, tillerman said:

That clever Mr. Stills used several of the titles of my blog posts about the 2008 Masters Worlds in his little song about the Southern Cross.

Amazing dude and musician.  Got to sail with him once.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, tillerman said:

Unfortunately, no. (Though it is just two short flights totaling 5 hours away).

Wondering if the World Master's Lasers in Geelong are going to be impacted by coronavirus.

I imagine travelling from the remote corners of the world like Europe and North America may have some travel challenges as a consequence of coronavirus.

General news about laser sailing that might be of interest. Neither bitching nor whining. More positively, I was not planning to attend that regatta anyway. 

22 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

WTF is positive about either of the previous posts?? 

What's positive is that the ILCA World Council and the regatta host took action to slow down the spread of a deadly virus.  

2020 ILCA Laser Masters World Championships – POSTPONED INDEFINITELY

Based on safety and public health factors related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ILCA World Council and our local event host have decided NOT to proceed with the 2020 ILCA Laser Masters World Championships as scheduled on 21-28 March 2020 in Geelong Australia.

We understand that some sailors may already be on site, other are en route and some have imminent departures. Given the extreme rapidity of developments and the uncertainty surrounding travel and participation in this event, the decision to take this extraordinary step was decided to be the most prudent course of action under the circumstances.

The Australian government has now issued advise against non-essential, organized public gatherings of more than 500 people as a precaution to reduce community spread of the virus. With the number of competitors, spouses, event personnel, and visitors expected, ILCA has chosen to heed this government health advisory.

Whether the event will be rescheduled to a later date or cancelled will be determined in the near future. Refund arrangements will also be addressed and communicated with entrants as soon as practical.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tillerman said:

What's positive is that the ILCA World Council and the regatta host took action to slow down the spread of a deadly virus.  

A very positive statement. 

• Like 1

Isn't this the Laser thread?  For positive things about The Laser Class, the Laser itself, and its builder LPE?  The ILCA thread is 6 doors down for positive things about the ILCA boat and class and PSA, no?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Isn't this the Laser thread?  For positive things about The Laser Class, the Laser itself, and its builder LPE?  The ILCA thread is 6 doors down for positive things about the ILCA boat and class and PSA, no?

True. But the official title of the postponed event is the ILCA Laser Masters Worlds so this news is absolutely positive for Laser Masters sailors and ILCA Masters sailors.

Here is something else absolutely positive for Lasers and Laser sailors. The Oceania and Australian Laser Masters Championship has not been postponed. This regatta is being held at the same site as the (now postponed) ILCA Laser Masters Worlds  because it is apparently safe for the Oceania and Australian geezers to sail even if it isn't safe for the World geezers. So that's positive news.

This is also absolutely positive for PSA who will collect a lot of charter fees and for ILCA because the event will be sailed in ILCAs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wess said:

There are three builders of the boat called Laser. 

• Like 2

Here's a great lecture by a hugely experienced UK Laser sailor Steve Cockerill. Recommended.

If you ever get chance buy his Boat Whisper DVD’s 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tillerman said:

Here is something else absolutely positive for Lasers and Laser sailors. The Oceania and Australian Laser Masters Championship has not been postponed. This regatta is being held at the same site as the (now postponed) ILCA Laser Masters Worlds  because it is apparently safe for the Oceania and Australian geezers to sail even if it isn't safe for the World geezers. So that's positive news.

I will be right over!

:lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tillerman said:

This is also absolutely positive for PSA who will collect a lot of charter fees and for ILCA because the event will be sailed in ILCAs.

In a rare moment of seriousness I will say that this is NOT a good thing. While COVID-19 will likely prove to be similar to the flu in terms of mortality rate (i.e. low single digit %), it is far, far more easily, and far, far faster spread than the flu and has the potential to infect many (X 1,000,000s) more people.  For the average sailor this ain't about will COVID -19 kill you, its about will you be a carrier that kills somebody else.  And yes you can be infected and carry it to many others before you show or feel any symptoms. Back to to regular sailing shit-fight.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, tillerman said:

True. But the official title of the postponed event is the ILCA Laser Masters Worlds so this news is absolutely positive for Laser Masters sailors and ILCA Masters sailors.

https://optimist-openbic-sailing.blogspot.com/2020/03/sailors-officials-volunteers-at-risk-at.html?fbclid=IwAR2TjuLzycNZY5I2iBcn7PAY_IUPq1ZG2AIRWLlNqsVP2gZpbn6D-okRNhA#.Xm19ZlLYzRw.facebook

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JMP said:

When competitors at the Oceania and Australian Laser Mastersin Geelong returned to shore after Day 2’s racing they were advised that Monday will be the last day of the championships, owing to the COVID-19 situation.

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/2020/03/16/oceania-and-australian-laser-masters-forced-to-finish-early/?fbclid=IwAR1bQFyLl5D70P0GJ9OrR6qJzoYtggTyuhMfe7n_oyj9jf8AoppJZu8DFOM

2 hours ago, tillerman said:

When competitors at the Oceania and Australian Laser Mastersin Geelong returned to shore after Day 2’s racing they were advised that Monday will be the last day of the championships, owing to the COVID-19 situation.

http://www.sailweb.co.uk/2020/03/16/oceania-and-australian-laser-masters-forced-to-finish-early/?fbclid=IwAR1bQFyLl5D70P0GJ9OrR6qJzoYtggTyuhMfe7n_oyj9jf8AoppJZu8DFOM

My understanding is a lot of the folks attending will be taking home new ILCA boats.  Some will have to wait a little bit for the containers to ship, but full containers will be shipping.

Did they get a "deal"?  When you consider the entry fee for the event and travel/lodging expense I'd say they paid about the same as you'd pay a US based dealer for a boat.

It will be cool to see an ILCA in D12!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

My understanding is a lot of the folks attending will be taking home new ILCA boats.  Some will have to wait a little bit for the containers to ship, but full containers will be shipping.

Did they get a "deal"?  When you consider the entry fee for the event and travel/lodging expense I'd say they paid about the same as you'd pay a US based dealer for a boat.

Stowing away in the container might be the quickest way back into the country.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Absolutely positively good news for ILCAs.

• Like 1

Great event for Lasers.

Apparently The Laser Class plans to do some sailing and racing in fun spots:

The Latest Events

We are pleased to announce that the first TLC international event will take place in September 2020, at Lake Garda, Italy.  Watch this space for further details.

lake_garda_for_TLC.jpg?v=1582826342

• Like 2

This is the boat for COVID-19.  Just look at the social distancing being practiced here!  We're keeping our frostbite sailing going and it could very well morph into a spring series.  However, I will put out the disclaimer that we'll need to watch our numbers.  If things get tight in the boat park areas, (we're sailing out of several clubs) we might have to limit participation.  Given this is the ONLY organized sailing going on in our area it could get a little more popular....

COVID Lasering.jpg

• Like 1

How do you folks handle and staff RC boat and mark/safety boats @RobbieB?  We had to cancel everything.  Members can use their own boats of course but zero organized racing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wess said:

Great event for Lasers.

Apparently The Laser Class plans to do some sailing and racing in fun spots:

The Latest Events

We are pleased to announce that the first TLC international event will take place in September 2020, at Lake Garda, Italy.  Watch this space for further details.

lake_garda_for_TLC.jpg?v=1582826342

What a great venue. Let's hope that it will be safe to hold events like this by September.

1 hour ago, Wess said:

How do you folks handle and staff RC boat and mark/safety boats @RobbieB?  We had to cancel everything.  Members can use their own boats of course but zero organized racing. 

I was in my boat with my son, (he preferred to read) and we had a husband/wife team running RC2.  They did everything.  Set marks and handled starts/finishes.  I was just support.  

Amy and Jeff have been our RC all season which is every other Saturday so just about 9 sailing days over 3 months.

Homeschool.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RobbieB said:

I was in my boat with my son, (he preferred to read) and we had a husband/wife team running RC2.  They did everything.  Set marks and handled starts/finishes.  I was just support.  

Amy and Jeff have been our RC all season which is every other Saturday so just about 9 sailing days over 3 months.

Homeschool.jpg

Dear Lord.  Don't post pics of your kids in this nut house.  Regardless a fine looking young man.  Clearly a credit to his Mom!  :D  He does need a Torch belt and T-shirt and a hat from...

• Like 3

http://www.laser.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1265:new-executive-secretary-announced&catid=21:official&Itemid=250

The North American Laser Class Association executive committee is very pleased to announce the appointment of Vancouver’s Isabella Bertold as our new Executive Secretary.

Some of you will recognize Isabella’s name from past regatta results, and for those that don’t, read-on to learn more about her.

Isabella grew up dinghy racing in Vancouver, BC and spent the past 16 years on the Canadian National Laser Radial Team. She competed at ISAF Youth Worlds, multiple ILCA World Championships, and is a multiple medalist at World Sailing (ISAF) events. She was also awarded the Canadian Female Sailor of the Year Award multiple times throughout her career.

Isabella is an advocate for gender equality in sport and business, co-founding a women’s professional cycling team and actively mentoring Vancouver based female entrepreneurs. A finance and entrepreneurship graduate from the Sauder School of Business, Isabella is looking forward to building upon the excellent foundation established by Sherri Campbell and Jerelyn Biehl to try to grow the class in North America, and enhancing youth, high performance and masters participation across all three of our rig sizes.

Welcome aboard, Isabella!

Andy Roy
NA Class Chairman (on behalf of the entire NA Executive Committee)

Next >
Last Updated on Friday, 20 March 2020 22:27

• Like 5

Laser Nationals canceled. Email received from organizers:

Hello Laser Sailors,

The regatta management team and hosts for 2020 Laser National Championships / US Singlehanded Sailing National Championships have found it necessary to postpone the regatta due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The Championships, originally scheduled for June 12-14, 2020 and hosted by Big Blue Sailing Academy at Old Dominion University and Norfolk Yacht and Country Club in Norfolk, VA, have been postponed until June 18-20, 2021. The 2021 event will continue to serve as both the 2021 ILCA US National Championship for Laser Standard, Radial and 4.7 classes and the 2021 US Singlehanded Sailing National Championship for the O’Day, Hanley, and Barrett Trophies. 

Like everyone, we are disappointed. We have put a great deal of effort and resources into planning the regatta, and we were looking forward to being on the water for you. We looked at other possible dates later this year, but with so much uncertainty, a concern for the health and safety of all involved, and the challenges of an overly constricted schedule for later in the summer and fall, it was clear that the best course would be to postpone until 2021. 

As we look to 2021, there are several options regarding your entry fee payment that has been received. We can transfer your 2020 registration fee to next year’s event. If we apply your registration fee to next year’s regatta you will be protected from the likely increase in entry fees for 2021. Or we can issue a partial refund by check. Unfortunately, we are unable to issue a full refund. Regatta Networks takes their percentage of credit card and processing fees prior to sending the funds to the host club, and those funds are non-refundable. 

Please let me know via email if you prefer to receive a partial refund, and I will get that to you in the next 2 weeks or so. 

Also, we are eager to run a laser regatta as soon as Old Dominion University will allow. We will keep you posted if there is the possibility of a simple weekend regatta this summer.

Thank you,

uh oh, wess, TLC is starting to use the 'S' word

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.55.42 PM.png

• Like 3

"We will make sure those builders will follow strict one design rules are applied by very narrow margins"

Who writes their material? Hope care better taken is building their boats in.

So they want to be a World Sailing Class with Olympic aspirations supported by builders the world over. Gee, what a novel concept. Didn't LP have their chance to do exactly this - but with the boat already in the Olympics?

• Like 1

If LP signed their ILCA contracts, they could sell their boats into all the territories they were previously not able to and achieve world domination with their boats that are so much cheaper than those supplied by the evil PSA!!  Just seems they don't have much interest in supplying outside of Europe

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JMP said:

If LP signed their ILCA contracts, they could sell their boats into all the territories they were previously not able to and achieve world domination with their boats that are so much cheaper than those supplied by the evil PSA!!  Just seems they don't have much interest in supplying outside of Europe

Yeah- but still refused to give up the territories they refused to or couldn't supply....

"Responding to safety and logistics issues caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 North American Championship regatta has been postponed to September 2-6, 2020, hosted by St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco.

Registration for the 2020 ILCA NAs is an expression of interest, and registrants are required to put up a $5 fully refundable deposit. Entries will be billed for the full amount should the event be run. Correspondingly, the Notice of Race also has been amended.

Regatta website: http://ow.ly/GvIa50zrbdw. "

ILCA World Championship Status Updates Related to COVID-19 (8 May 2020)

Update: 8 May 2020

Due to the ongoing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, ILCA has mutually agreed with our host organizations that conducting the remaining Laser World Championships in 2020 will not be viable as originally planned, and rescheduling for later in the year was not a workable option.

So, unfortunately for everyone involved in the planning of the Championships, and especially our sailors, the following events are being CANCELED:

• 2020 Under-21 Worlds in Malcesine, Italy
  • 2020 4.7 Youth Worlds in Arco, Italy
  • 2020 Radial Youth Worlds in Dziwnów, Poland

The originally postponed 2020 Masters World Championships were also previously canceled.

http://www.laserinternational.org/blog/2020/03/13/ilca-world-championships-status-and-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0YymS9UcBjwrd0-29tGZZaGGRUVgk8s2uWms5mgJlvIEsH4igMuDd3L18

Vacuum cleaners suck.

Your venturi or self bailer may suck.

But Lasers, no matter what they are branded, assuredly do not suck.

Seen in the Craigslist thread:

On 4/25/2020 at 3:43 AM, WCB said:

Lasers do not suck, please stop with this rhetoric. They were designed in the 70s to suit a purpose and they succeeded in spectacular fashion.  They have done amazing things for the sport.  And thank you for the purchase tips on Laser but I'm good.  I worked for Vanguard for a while and I built a sailing program around the Laser.  As a result I have personally owned over 40 Lasers as I bought, prepped, and sold them to build the program here. 

Well said!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bruce Hudson said:

Vacuum cleaners suck.

Your venturi or self bailer may suck.

But Lasers, no matter what they are branded, assuredly do not suck.

Seen in the Craigslist thread:

Well said!!

I just love that sucking noise that the Laser self bailer makes. 

Cool interview with Tom and Tom talking about Lasers/Olympics etc.  Quite interesting where they're talking about dealing with different boats and how the sailing style had to be adapted

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Here's a few cool things:   1)- First post COVID regatta of the season in SC, (USA) results.   2)- A new light blue ILCA boat.  3)- 50%, (first month) of International Sailing Academy online courses.

ILCA 2.jpg

2020 James Island Yacht Club Regatta.docx

That was a nice looking PSA hull you had. I like the new hull colors they’re offering. 

9 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Here's a few cool things:   1)- First post COVID regatta of the season in SC, (USA) results.   2)- A new light blue ILCA boat.  3)- 50%, (first month) of International Sailing Academy online courses.

ILCA 2.jpg

2020 James Island Yacht Club Regatta.docx

Get that imposture crap out of here. This is the LASER thread!! We don’t want no ILCA POS imposture boats!! Take it to the ILCA monopoly thread. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wess said:

Get that imposture crap out of here. This is the LASER thread!! We don’t want no ILCA POS imposture boats!! Take it to the ILCA monopoly thread. 

Who is “we”? You must be visiting from another thread. Go back whence you came. You are not welcome here. There must be a “trimaran thread for seniors” somewhere. 

• Like 3

LOL get back to your ILCA thread you nutter. There is one; it’s just dead. Why is that? This thread says LASER - best boat ever - and that imposture ILCA Chinese boaty thing that Robbie posted ain’t no Laser. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wess said:

LOL get back to your ILCA thread you nutter. There is one; it’s just dead. Why is that? This thread says LASER - best boat ever - and that imposture ILCA Chinese boaty thing that Robbie posted ain’t no Laser. 

I own a Laser. Built in the good ol’ USA. 

1 hour ago, Bill5 said:

I own a Laser. Built in the good ol’ USA. 

I own a Laser built in the great State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

Apparently boats change names. https://optimist-openbic-sailing.blogspot.com/2019/07/fake-laser-sailboats-at-2024-paris.html

ilcas_in_kingston.jpg

And so do states. https://nypost.com/2020/06/23/rhode-island-may-change-its-name-over-slavery-connotations/

1 hour ago, Wess said:

That has to be an oldie.  What #?

So what have we learned?

Canadian lawnmower = real

Chinese Laser = not real

Chinese ILCA = real in the future I bet

25 minutes ago, Wess said:

So what have we learned?

Canadian lawnmower = real

Chinese Laser = not real

Chinese ILCA = real in the future I bet

English Laser - poser Laser

Australian ILCA - fake Laser

American Laser - historical curiosity

Ovington ILCA - some day soon

17 minutes ago, Wess said:

So what have we learned?

We have learned that my Laser was built in USA. But nice try to deflect the conversation from your actually not knowing something (perish the thought!). And ya gotta freshen up your act, Wess! The lawnmower gag is sooooooo old. C'mon! Pick it up! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill5 said:

One of the last Lasers built in the USA, I suspect, before LP closed up in RI.

#210546 was built in the UK, unless the plaque on my chariot is false. Yes, I know LP doesn't have a good record in that respect.

And notwithstanding Fred's 2016 posts, I would like to see evidence that LP moved Laser production to China in those days.

BTW, any word out of that 'wonderful' new LP/LPE facility in Portugal?

• Like 1

But Bill I like lawn mowers.  And Canada.  Especially Canada. 

I admit I would be surprised if a 207 series Laser was actually built in the US at Vanguard in RI.  I was not suggesting it was actually built in China.  To the best of my knowledge no Laser ever was sold out of the few trial builds (of Lasers) done there.  I would bet that ILCA will be built in China and no I would not want one of those.  Anyway I would have guessed that a 207 series was actually built at LPE. LPE acquired Vanguard the  RI shop in or about 2007 if I recall.

4 hours ago, tillerman said:

207,000 was built in 2014. https://www.laserinternational.org/about-the-laser/how-old-is-my-laser/

According to the usual suspects, Laser production was moved from the factory in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations to China in 2016.

That rumor pertained you the Sunfish molds and the Rhode Island  Laser Molds.

i have never heard a solid confirmation either set actually went to China. 

Many rumors that Sunfish are built in China these days. 

I have yet to look inside, but there are also rumors that those Chinese boats don't have the internal vertical foam supports anymore.