2airishuman

Hard dinks, nesting dinks, and why we like them

Recommended Posts

On 8/4/2020 at 7:54 PM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Not sure if this has been asked here or on another thread...

Could a non nesting dinghy be turned into a nester with careful planning, adding a couple of bulkheads and connecting hardware then cutting it in two?

What are the risks (other than ruining a perfectly good dinghy)?  What would careful planning look like?

 

Sure. Friends with an El Toro (like a Sabot pram) did exactly that. Just put some 1/8" scrap between the bulkheads as spacers to give the saw blade a spot to fit in. 

Use scrap cardboard to recreate the shape of the smaller part of the hull (tape to existing hull). Carefully remove, turn it 180 and see how it fits. Note that the bulkheads don't have to be right in the middle. You could take a 9' dinghy and shorten it 3-1/2' for example.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tanton Y_M Is that a kit or is/was it available ready to go?  I love how deep the gunwales are with the inflatable aired up.  Only bummer- Not rowable, or at least I don't see any oar locks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tanton Y_M said:

Matthews Dinghy. TYD#263

tm1.jpg

tm7.jpg

IMG_1108.JPG

A non-nesting hard dinghy with inflatable bumpers that do NOTHING(!?) for sailing unless the boat is heeled.  Not intended for rowing or outboard?  What's the point?

Newbie sailor training wheels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 6:24 AM, Paranda said:

Perfect little beaty , still love her !

D26E0F1B-20BC-4BAA-B48A-65668DBBB914.jpeg

186B21AF-D225-4BCE-91BC-BBEF5C9A79A6.jpeg

313BFA48-3296-4648-A0C5-BC5869ED5BA0.jpeg

Did you make this?

Is there plans available.

It is lovely.

Lost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

In defense of inflatables...  https://truekit.nz/  This one is "from $1,999.00 NZD".  Looks great to me, especially for a small "yacht".

 

I looked closely at these but the local dealer advised strongly against dog claws on the inflatable floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lostonsat said:

Unfortunately looks  like they have been shutdown since May.

Do you know of any available plans for similar boats?

Lost

zonker drew a nester for bateau.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, lostonsat said:

Unfortunately looks  like they have been shutdown since May.

Do you know of any available plans for similar boats?

Lost

Not quite as pretty as a PT-11 but B&B Yachts sells plans and kits for their Spindrift 9'-12' nesting and non-nesting.

https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/spindrift

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems minimalist. 

IMG_1573.thumb.jpg.15b2298684ea35250c473e343f1f1e35.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ran into Graham and Megan, really like his dingy.  Thinking about going for it if we can sell our RIB and out board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, lostonsat said:

Unfortunately looks  like they have been shutdown since May.

Not shut down, overwhelmed with work and not taking orders in order to fulfill existing orders. I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Just ran into Graham and Megan, really like his dingy.  Thinking about going for it if we can sell our RIB and out board.

What kind of dinghy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

This seems minimalist. 

IMG_1573.thumb.jpg.15b2298684ea35250c473e343f1f1e35.jpg

Is this a Richard Woods Duo?

I was thinking of building one, but a few inches shorter, to fit in my car. It's narrow enough, but it's still a bit too long.

Why mess with a roof rack?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

What kind of dinghy?

Nesting sailing.  Will get a pic next time I see him I think he might be on FB but I'm not so not sure.  His is the prototype and ply.  He's making out of honeycomb and glass now, added about 10lbs, I think 120 total.  He is building for $2500 another $1000 ish for all the pieces sail kit etc.  It's a hell of a good deal for a professional built boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

This seems minimalist. 

IMG_1573.thumb.jpg.15b2298684ea35250c473e343f1f1e35.jpg

I like this but the bulge over the bow seems to preclude storing it upside down on the foredeck. The bow needs to nest inside, and at the same height as the gunwhales...well optimally, anyway.  I guess with enough wood or foam blocks on deck, you can overcome anything.

During my recent vacation, I had to store my Dyer 9 on the foredeck of my 33 footer for the first time, due to torrential rains. We actually sailed with it stowed that way. It fits just barely. I wouldn't have it an inch longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

This seems minimalist. 

IMG_1573.thumb.jpg.15b2298684ea35250c473e343f1f1e35.jpg

I'll take the blame for that thing... It is indeed a Richard Woods Duo, more or less. Don't look too closely, she was built in a couple of weekends out of the scrap pile and only meant to last for a season of cruising. She's now on year 4!

She was built for cruising aboard our Bristol 27, and served my wife and I well from Maine down to the Chesapeake. With the thwart resting on the coachroof and the bow/stern resting on the foredeck, the V wasn't an issue at all. I'd do it differently if she was going to be stored flat on the deck though, but no chance finding that sort of space on a B27! It does serve a very practical purpose though, as the extra buoyancy made it much easier to keep the inside of the boat dry when throwing the fwd half in the water. Same with the little buoyancy compartments in the stern - they make dropping her over the side easy and dry. I made a removable seat that fits between the compartments for a passenger.

She's perfectly sized - slides right in the back of a ford focus and also sits transversely in the cockpit of our powerboat. She's lightly built and no sweat to get on the boat or carry around on shore single handed. 

She rows remarkably well, and hops up on plane nicely when towing. She isn't the most stable craft though, hence the name. Overall, I'd say she's a perfect little boat if space is a concern but a bit small to be a general utility dinghy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 7:56 AM, Rasputin22 said:

Everybody loves Nesting Twinks, right? Especially after a few Hard Drinks...

Wise man say: “Be careful what you wish for - it may come true.”

542CB6E5-0EC1-4F5E-B427-EFD5B4ABE7CC.jpeg

CF871B1A-B568-4DAD-901C-2C957ED3A6A5.jpeg

FC4BB0F5-2FA7-4884-9BDA-720C412C8EDB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another one that is very close to the functionality of the PT-11, but allot faster to build and with a 'basic'  kit price that appears to be significantly less. The designer has also made plans and lofting available separately. https://www.bedardyachtdesign.com/designs/tenders/ozona-x-nesting-pram/

 

 

 

 

 

ozona1.jpg

ozona2.jpg

ozona3.jpg

Edited by 2flit
correct images
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a nice looking dinghy but how do you figure "a lot faster to build" than a PT11? Looks to be similar complexity, but it's a plywood only kit, without the pre-made solid wood components included in the PT11 kit. 

Still, a nice option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 11:36 PM, andykane said:

That's a nice looking dinghy but how do you figure "a lot faster to build" than a PT11? Looks to be similar complexity, but it's a plywood only kit, without the pre-made solid wood components included in the PT11 kit. 

Still, a nice option.

Build time is estimated to be far less than the PT-11. They are 100 professional hours for the Ozona nester versus 190 hours for the PT-11.  For the amateur build it's...  150 hours versus 300 . Maximum hours to do a Bristol amateur  build are not really addressed well and I suspect,  highly variable.  I'm in contact with an amateur Ozona builder now asking about their hours. I'll report back if it's way out of the estimated range. 

We have a PT-11 and love the boat, they are fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 17, 2020 at 11:36 AM, Will S said:

I'll take the blame for that thing... It is indeed a Richard Woods Duo, more or less. Don't look too closely, she was built in a couple of weekends out of the scrap pile and only meant to last for a season of cruising. She's now on year 4!

She was built for cruising aboard our Bristol 27, and served my wife and I well from Maine down to the Chesapeake. With the thwart resting on the coachroof and the bow/stern resting on the foredeck, the V wasn't an issue at all. I'd do it differently if she was going to be stored flat on the deck though, but no chance finding that sort of space on a B27! It does serve a very practical purpose though, as the extra buoyancy made it much easier to keep the inside of the boat dry when throwing the fwd half in the water. Same with the little buoyancy compartments in the stern - they make dropping her over the side easy and dry. I made a removable seat that fits between the compartments for a passenger.

She's perfectly sized - slides right in the back of a ford focus and also sits transversely in the cockpit of our powerboat. She's lightly built and no sweat to get on the boat or carry around on shore single handed. 

She rows remarkably well, and hops up on plane nicely when towing. She isn't the most stable craft though, hence the name. Overall, I'd say she's a perfect little boat if space is a concern but a bit small to be a general utility dinghy.

Was that the one you were towing in Castine-Camden a couple of years ago?

Hey, do this place favor and post a couple of pics of your new boat in the cool boats thread. It may be a power boat, but it's one of the coolest boats I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now