Sign in to follow this  
wilsondrake

What do you look for in a VPN service for Torrenting?

I am looking to download few old streams of anarchy through torrents, it is mainly from a closed anarchy group I am part of. But my country laws does not allows to download pirated content. I am looking forward to use a VPN as vpns are popular for torrenting and provides security. But after going through the linked guide I am unsure which one to pick either the one which has Sock5 or have dedicated p2p servers? And I also do not want my speeds to get hurt much.

• Downvote 1

buy a fokin Ad .

37 minutes ago, Mid said:

buy a fokin Ad .

How is this guy making money from a link to a comparison of VPN's??

3 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

How is this guy making money from a link to a comparison of VPN's??

see GMD's link .

The first post is just a feeler ...................

9 minutes ago, Mid said:

see GMD's link .

The first post is just a feeler ...................

I saw the deviant art link, but there was nothing there, and how does that connect to the OP's link to a VPN comparison?  I am not getting it???

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I am not getting it???

Firestick .

26 minutes ago, Mid said:

Firestick .

WTF does the OP have to do with firestick?  I got one from Amazon, but never use it.  Can barely keep up with watching the few shows I tape on the DVR...

22 hours ago, wilsondrake said:

I am looking to download few old streams of anarchy through torrents, it is mainly from a closed anarchy group I am part of. But my country laws does not allows to download pirated content. I am looking forward to use a VPN as vpns are popular for torrenting and provides security. But after going through the linked guide I am unsure which one to pick either the one which has Sock5 or have dedicated p2p servers? And I also do not want my speeds to get hurt much.

How about fuck off and show us your girlfriends tit's.

santa.jpg

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

WTF does the OP have to do with firestick?  I got one from Amazon, but never use it.  Can barely keep up with watching the few shows I tape on the DVR...

Don't cross the streams. Remove the tape.  And ponder who says "How we choosed"..

50 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Don't cross the streams. Remove the tape.  And ponder who says "How we choosed"..

Huh??  Is that like how George Washington crossed the Delaware?  Row vs. Wade!

52 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Huh??  Is that like how George Washington crossed the Delaware?  Row vs. Wade!

Firestick is a streaming device, my better half still says tape when we haven't taped anything in years, except for duct taping.  This was another in a long line of bad humor moments.  I believe GW was heard telling Wade to Row. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, d'ranger said:

Loved the “How we choosed”. 

• Like 1

What's wrong with Brave Browser and a private window with TOR?  Works fine for me....

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

What's wrong with Brave Browser and a private window with TOR?  Works fine for me....

private window doesn't hide shit at the ISP level...  

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Yep.  That's why you need a VPN.

i thought TOR obfuscated the endpoints and encrypted the content. is that not right?

12 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

And the danger with that is exactly what, please?  I'm not as technically enlightened as many, if not most here...

And the danger with that is exactly what, please?  I'm not as technically enlightened as many, if not most here...

The CliffsNotes answer.  Exceptions apply:

HTTP:  Your ISP (or whoever runs the network you are connected to) can see that you looked at size 7 shoes (in green) from the shoe store down the block, you then looked for tips to make your 4ktsb a 4.2ktsb, including ideas about how to cheat on your rating.  And then, for some reason, you spent a lot of time looking at different breeds of goats, specifically tan coloured ones with floppy ears.

HTTPS:  Your ISP (or whoever runs the network) can see that you had some traffic to the shoe store down the block, a bunch of traffic to a sailing related site and that you visited several goat breeding sites.

VPN:  Your ISP (or whoever runs the network) can see that you had a lot of traffic to a single remote IP address.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Que said:

HTTP:  Your ISP (or whoever runs the network you are connected to) can see that you looked at size 7 shoes (in green) from the shoe store down the block, you then looked for tips to make your 4ktsb a 4.2ktsb, including ideas about how to cheat on your rating.  And then, for some reason, you spent a lot of time looking at different breeds of goats, specifically tan coloured ones with floppy ears.

HTTPS:  Your ISP (or whoever runs the network) can see that you had some traffic to the shoe store down the block, a bunch of traffic to a sailing related site and that you visited several goat breeding sites.

VPN:  Your ISP (or whoever runs the network) can see that you had a lot of traffic to a single remote IP address.

there are bills in congress , that if passed, will allow and LE agency to ask your isp for every link you've accessed for however long a history they capture, without a warrant and use such information to charge you ....   so if you're downloading say "movies", you can be charged with violating the DMCA and pay huge fines...       i'm not coherent on the TOR browser and all the inner workings of the "dark net" but  LE has broken through that shit a long time ago, that's why there's a big push to prevent encryption on phones for data at rest or communication..  but you say,  only criminals want that shit..  tell that to Khashoggi who was tracked via spyware from saudi and then butchered like a goat..

8 hours ago, Que said:

Thanks! In laymans terms can you explain the risks of each?  Thanks again!!

23 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

can you explain the risks of each? 

come on billy , Sheryl you ain't that thick ?

27 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

You want all of them.  You want the brave or duck duck go browser, https, tor and a VPN.

2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

You want all of them.  You want the brave or duck duck go browser, https, tor and a VPN.

just for clarification the duck duck go privacy browser is for phones,   it's an add on in fire fox...  they don't have a browser for pc,

in the examples, there are no risks, it's if you don't have some sort of ad blocker or tracker blocker you get bombarded with ads that are based upon your internet use...  wasn't there someone on here complaining about all the philipino bride ads at one time

Unblock origin, adblock plus, privacy badger and if you are really paranoid noscript to stop Java.

Run it in a private or incognito session.

If your a  tinfoil hat type, you'll be doing this inside a virtual machine with a fresh copy of an os.

If you are using utorrent, make sure you've applied the hack that kills the I  torrent ads.  Ads can be used to track you as well.

There are also blacklists you can apply that will restrict utorrent from connecting to known honeypot torrenters (guys that work for the media companies tracking ips).

10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

in the examples, there are no risks, it's if you don't have some sort of ad blocker or tracker blocker you get bombarded with ads that are based upon your internet use...  wasn't there someone on here complaining about all the philipino bride ads at one time

I don't get bombarded by ads, I use Duck- Duck Go on all my PC's, and I use Brave private window with TOR.  Are the Russians going to hack me, and steal my assets?  Seriously, what should I be scared of, that I need a VPN??

EDIT,  I am not a tinfoil hat type...

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

I don't get bombarded by ads, I use Duck- Duck Go on all my PC's, and I use Brave private window with TOR.  Are the Russians going to hack me, and steal my assets?  Seriously, what should I be scared of, that I need a VPN??

EDIT,  I am not a tinfoil hat type...

When you torrent, the torrent program uses specific ports on your computer and opens hundreds of connections.  The ISP sees this traffic going out on known torrenting ports and knows you are torrenting.  They may not be able to tell what, but they know you are, and know where you are connecting to.  So without a VPN, your ISP has all the records to prove you WERE torrenting something if someone sues you and claims you were torrenting whatever.

16 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

When you torrent, the torrent program uses specific ports on your computer and opens hundreds of connections.  The ISP sees this traffic going out on known torrenting ports and knows you are torrenting.  They may not be able to tell what, but they know you are, and know where you are connecting to.  So without a VPN, your ISP has all the records to prove you WERE torrenting something if someone sues you and claims you were torrenting whatever.

Like what whatever?  I don't believe I go anywhere where I am not supposed to go????  EDIT, I'm certainly not stealing any content?  Browse Playboy once in a while, but that's just for the articles!!  :D

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Like what whatever?  I don't believe I go anywhere where I am not supposed to go????

If you are torrenting, the ISP has the records to prove you were.  Media and other companies seed the torrents themselves so that when you do an illegal download, chances are you might download from them as well.  In turn, they search out your IP and see if you're also allowing any torrents to be downloaded.  Then they get a warrant for your ISP's records to prove you were torrenting when they claim that you were.

If you are not doing anything illegal, then you have nothing to worry about.

I think because you posted here asking if your setup  was any good, we assumed you were doing exactly what the fake OP was claiming to do.  So we were offering helpful tips as to the security measures you could take to make it harder for you to end up being sued or in jail.  That's all. :ph34r:

I use hidemyass a/k/a privateinternetaccess.com

32 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

If you are torrenting, the ISP has the records to prove you were.  Media and other companies seed the torrents themselves so that when you do an illegal download, chances are you might download from them as well.  In turn, they search out your IP and see if you're also allowing any torrents to be downloaded.  Then they get a warrant for your ISP's records to prove you were torrenting when they claim that you were.

I think because you posted here asking if your setup  was any good, we assumed you were doing exactly what the fake OP was claiming to do.  So we were offering helpful tips as to the security measures you could take to make it harder for you to end up being sued or in jail.  That's all. :ph34r:

Thanks for 'splainin' it Lucy!!:D  I don't download anything, so I am not going to worry about this anymore.  I simply browse, nothing else....  Missus BB thinks I'm a computer genius, and I do here emails for her, because she can't be be bothered. You guys constantly prove her wrong, I'm more like a Kindergarten or Grade School computer user, if that, certainly no genius.  OTOH, my SAT scores, when I was 17, qualified me for MENSA, but I wasn't smart enough to get out of Real Estate Brokerage, in '07-'08!!  :wacko:

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

and if you're not doing anything illegal,  why bother do anything but ad block and anti-virus?

Exactly!

8 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Thanks for 'splainin' it Lucy!!:D  I don't download anything, so I am not going to worry about this anymore.  I simply browse, nothing else....  Missus BB thinks I'm a computer genius, and I do here emails for her, because she can't be be bothered. You guys constantly prove her wrong, I'm more like a Kindergarten or Grade School computer user, if that, certainly no genius.  OTOH, my SAT scores, when I was 17, qualified me for MENSA, but I wasn't smart enough to get out of Real Estate Brokerage, in '07-'08!!  :wacko:

Many friends that stuck with it (real estate) when it crashed are doing pretty darn good today. 

On 5/27/2020 at 7:43 AM, Grrr... said:

That's not necessarily true.

58 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

From law enforcement.  I thought that was fairly obvious.

22 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Many friends that stuck with it (real estate) when it crashed are doing pretty darn good today. 

I'm doing just fine, thank you!!  Invested in rental condos instead of the stock market and start on SSA next August.

5 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Cite please?  

26 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
5 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Cite please?  

Google "nothing to hide" argument.  Basically, if someone wants to "get you", they eventually can, as no one has ever lived an error-free life.  It can also happen due to glitches in information (wrong dates, wrong identity, misconstrued data).  It's a bit like saying "I don't support free speech because I have nothing to say."

If the NSA is surveilling your every keystroke in your browser, they might find something the someone doesn't like.  Am I paranoid about this?  No.  Do I understand that the probability of this happening to me is very small?  Yes.  Am I concerned about it getting more prevalent, in subtle ways such that a majority of the population doesn't care about it?  Yes.

2 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

Google "nothing to hide" argument.  Basically, if someone wants to "get you", they eventually can, as no one has ever lived an error-free life.  It can also happen due to glitches in information (wrong dates, wrong identity, misconstrued data).  It's a bit like saying "I don't support free speech because I have nothing to say."

If the NSA is surveilling your every keystroke in your browser, they might find something the someone doesn't like.  Am I paranoid about this?  No.  Do I understand that the probability of this happening to me is very small?  Yes.  Am I concerned about it getting more prevalent, in subtle ways such that a majority of the population doesn't care about it?  Yes.

Ok, thanks again for the explanation, but I think the NSA has way bigger fish to fry, than this little old X-BN, sailor boy.