MrXC

Measuring shroud tension with a bicycle spoke meter?

Has anybody used a bicycle spoke tension meter to measure the tension on a wire shroud?    I'm setting up an Albacore after spending most of my time on a Sunfish or club boats set up by somebody else.  I'm also an avid cyclist and hoping I can buy one tool for both sports (and a bike spoke tension meter is less expensive).  Thanks.

1 hour ago, MrXC said:

Has anybody used a bicycle spoke tension meter to measure the tension on a wire shroud?    I'm setting up an Albacore after spending most of my time on a Sunfish or club boats set up by somebody else.  I'm also an avid cyclist and hoping I can buy one tool for both sports (and a bike spoke tension meter is less expensive).  Thanks.

As I recall, might not be needed. Tension (to me) is fine, when the mast is straight on a beat, and looks good. The leeward wire will be loose...it's the chainplates need attention, to my way of thinking. They OK, just enjoy that boat, you lucky dog! 

Curious, sails cotton or Dacron? Boat was Fox rig from 50s, as I recall, and the glass rigs had both clothes for a bit but not sure. Class.

The problem is calibration.Your bicycle spoke meter won't give you a number you can compare with anyone else's measurements using a sailboat tension meter ('cos bike spokes and boat shrouds are very different).  If all you want to do is set up your shrouds to the same figure every time that may not matter to you, but if you want to set up your boat to published numbers in tuning guides then it will.

• Like 1

This should help.
https://www.sailingworld.com/making-sense-rig-tension/

When sailing skiffs I used a weighted piece of wood with two screws. I originally used a measuring stick but found that stainless stays stretched a little - enough to make a difference, particularly when new.

Mr XC, Save yourself some aggravation and buy a base-model Loos gauge. They work very well for sailboat rigging tension measurement. Happy Sailing!