Sign in to follow this  
QBF

Land Speed Record Anarchy

Bloodhound has arrived in South Africa and they are preparing the car, and painting the line on the track.

404514075_BloodhoundarrivedinSouthAfrica.thumb.jpg.1fc7ce5abf84980a2f7da98819f60f00.jpg

1168634575_Paintingtheline.thumb.jpg.3e1912ff9115c1706b8ecb5a058128b2.jpg

From Rosco McGlashen of Aussie Invader

Recently I went back to Kalgoorlie with team member Mark Read and it brought back memories of about 25 years ago, being asked by a French film company to race my jet powered dragster, Aussie Invader 1, down a main street in Boulder, a sister town to Kalgoorlie.

I was on my way home from a drag racing meeting on Australia’s east coast. What the director of this film company wanted was an impossibility. He wanted me to race my jet dragster down a public street on a Sunday morning at very high speed. If I remember rightly the expression I used was “As long as my backside points to the ground, it will not happen.” We needed Police, Main Roads, Shire and the Mayors permission to do this. I think by now the statute of limitations has exceeded, so I can tell this story.

Lucky I knew the Mayor and the Police Chief and after a discussion on safety and to my surprise, this all came together in about an hour, with both of those people, doing what is sadly rare in todays society... they were able to make a decision. We lined up our dragster alongside the Grand Hotel in Brockman Street with her pointing southbound, every available cop or person with any authority stood guard on all of the alleys and side streets leading onto Brockman Street. We started Aussie Invader 1 and I wound her up to 108% performing several burner pops on the way to max rpm. A suicidal French camera man positioned himself in the middle of the intersection. I lit the burner and blasted past where he was, not wanting to deploy the chutes in case he got caught up in them. Our racer ended up a long way down Brockman Street stopping at a T junction. Everyone including me could not believe what had just happened.

Someone said “You were close to that cameraman”, I didn't even see the cameraman in the middle of the intersection, then the producer asked us to do it all again. I will never forget the horror on the faces of everyone involved when we started preparing for a second run. This will never happen again in this country, I can assure you.

A cop with a speed gun said we exceeded 420km/h down Brockman Street. I think I would have lost my license for that one, but probably set a record for the highest speed over the limit on a public road in Australia, as I was 360km/h (220 mph) over the speed limit. And for any kids out there, racing is for racetracks, so please do not try and beat that record.

2048554668_AussieInvaderI.thumb.jpg.eebd7c574b6f87e4282b46e734dca9e1.jpg

• Like 1

The Bloodhound team at their track in South Africa

770543345_TheBloodhoundteam.jpg.f5e62da0ee01b1a7d14ebcce5a9fb93e.jpg

1 hour ago, captrcb said:

image-asset.jpeg

I posted this in the Random Pic Thread, but it is certainly worth repeating here.

It was Mickey Thompson that got me interested in the Land Speed Record when he drove his Challenger I shown above to a 406MPH one-way run on the Bonneville Slat Flats in 1960. I was 11-years old at the time, and I've been interested in the LSR ever since!

I'll bet that M/T didn't have several dozen crew when he ran Challenger.

My guess would be between 6 and 10.

Same for Breedlove, Arfons and the rest.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'll bet that M/T didn't have several dozen crew when he ran Challenger.

My guess would be between 6 and 10.

Same for Breedlove, Arfons and the rest.

What you say is true, but neither Mickey Thompson nor Craig Breedlove spent millions, if not tens of millions to go 210mph!

As Mickey is gone, let’s see Craig Breedlove try to beat that record!

This car is about the real Land Speed Record, wheel driven, with drivers not pilots, ... jets and rockets are just flying low, fast taxiing. Not that I don't admire the skill and guts of Craig Breedlove, and Art Arfons but Mickey Thompson was the best hot-rodder ever. And I think his crew was all volunteers, not a paid pro in the bunch. Bored and stroked super charged Pontiac V-8s, Great stuff. You couldn't make this up.

Here is a news video about Donald Campbell breaking both the Land Speed Record AND the Water Speed Record in the same year.

Here is a lighthearted commercial with the Old Spice rocket car

7 hours ago, QBF said:

Here is a news video about Donald Campbell breaking both the Land Speed Record AND the Water Speed Record in the same year.

And then he crashed and died.

He wasn't found until a few years ago.

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

And then he crashed and died.

He wasn't found until a few years ago.

Campbell died three years after he set the double record.

Donald Campbell - The Double in Australia

* Land Speed Record set on July 17, 1964 on Lake Eyre

* Water Speed Record set on December 31, 1964 on Lake Dumbleyung

Final Water Speed Record attempt

Donald Campbell's last attempt in the Bluebird K7 was around 8,000 miles from his successful runs in Australia.

Fatal attempt at the Water Speed Record on Coniston Water in Coniston, UK (northern England) on Janurary 4, 1967

Note: Donald Campbell's body recovered from Coniston Water in May 2001

Donald Campbell in Bluebird K7.jpg

Bluebird K7 at Coniston Water.jpg

And now for something different...

Here is a rocket sled designed to set the speed record on ice!

Arctic Arrow

https://www.facebook.com/ArcticArrow

Owner/Driver: Kurt Anderson

Rocket Designer: Ky Michaelson

Note: Both Kurt Anderson and Ky Michaelson are in Minnesota.

2075731418_ArcticArrow.jpg.9b966cb6c6b777884dfd662ef3396cad.jpg

The 25-foot-long Arctic Arrow is six feet wide in the rear to provide maximum stability while minimizing drag and wind resistance; it appears to be modeled somewhat after Bonneville-style speedsters with Anderson’s custom touches thrown in for ice competition.

The Rocketboys Return As Kurt Anderson Shoots For Ice Speed Record
https://www.dragzine.com/features/the-rocketboys-return-as-kurt-anderson-shoots-for-ice-speed-record

Ky Michaelson -Rocketman Enterprise
https://www.youtube.com/user/kytherocketman/videos

Arctic Arrow Rocket Sled at the Rocketboys Shop

Kurt Anderson's Artic Arrow 200mph Rocket Snowmobile

The Life And Times Of Ky Michaelson The Rocketman

5 hours ago, QBF said:

2075731418_ArcticArrow.jpg.9b966cb6c6b777884dfd662ef3396cad.jpg

The 25-foot-long Arctic Arrow is six feet wide in the rear to provide maximum stability while minimizing drag and wind resistance; it appears to be modeled somewhat after Bonneville-style speedsters with Anderson’s custom touches thrown in for ice competition.

The Rocketboys Return As Kurt Anderson Shoots For Ice Speed Record
https://www.dragzine.com/features/the-rocketboys-return-as-kurt-anderson-shoots-for-ice-speed-record

Ky Michaelson -Rocketman Enterprise
https://www.youtube.com/user/kytherocketman/videos

Arctic Arrow Rocket Sled at the Rocketboys Shop

I'm sure those skis will steer that thing well at 200.

I think I'd prefer blades like skates.

But what do I know - I've never gone over 140 - on tires.

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm sure those skis will steer that thing well at 200.

I think I'd prefer blades like skates.

But what do I know - I've never gone over 140 - on tires.

Here is a link to a video of this sled screaming down the track. It was going fast enough that they needed parachute to slow it down. They got turned around at the end, but that might be because the parachute drogue line is not long enough.

Last Friday, after 11 years in the making, Bloodhound was finally out testing on their race track.  They ran a whopping 89MPH and then took the weekend off!

If Rosco McGlashan had anywhere near half the money Bloodhound has spent, years ago he would have either broke the record, or at least given it a real shot.

Bloodhound.jpg.749e37342f6df05ad52a940bdf13d7b2.jpg

It's no wonder why 11 years have past since the inception of this project.  These guys behave like government workers!

Here is the video of this startling fast run.

23 minutes ago, QBF said:

Last Friday, after 11 years in the making, Bloodhound was finally out testing on their race track.  They ran a whopping 89MPH and then took the weekend off!

If Rosco McGlashan had anywhere near half the money Bloodhound has spent, years ago he would have either broke the record, or at least given it a real shot.

It's no wonder why 11 years have past since the inception of this project.  These guys behave like government workers!

You can't blame the current team for the delays, they only took it over very recently.  The original management and a lot of the team have been replaced.

59 minutes ago, QBF said:

New track, new car, new team, new communications gear and new safety equipment.  Crawl, walk, run.  We taxi test a new airplane before we fly it and we don't fly supersonic or pull max G's on the first flight.  

Now, I would have made the first run early in the week and made a few more increasingly fast runs before shutting down for the weekend.  One slow run and done isn't good optics.

5 hours ago, QBF said:

If Rosco McGlashan had anywhere near half the money Bloodhound has spent, years ago he would have either broke the record, or at least given it a real shot died trying.

FTFY

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If Rosco McGlashan had anywhere near half the money Bloodhound has spent, years ago he would have either broke the record, or at least given it a real shot died trying.

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

FTFY

Not necessarily...

Driving an LSR vehicle is not as dangerous as one might imagine. There have been only seven deaths in the Unlimited Class (wheel driven & thrust powered) since the LSR's inception.

In order of death:

* J. A. Parry-Thomas (1927)

* Frank Lockhart (1928)

* Lee Bible (1929)

* Bernd Rosemeyer (1938)

* Arthol Graham (1960)

* Glenn Leasher (1962)

* Jessi Combs (2019)
Note: North American Eagle did not have a roll cage!  I cannot see how they could have passed an sanctioned inspection without a roll cage.

https://lsrdeaths.webs.com/191039.htm

On 10/28/2019 at 11:55 AM, QBF said:

Low speed tests. Fuck off, you won't take a one of a kind highly experimental and untested machine to the max on the first run. Baby steps. 

9 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Low speed tests. Fuck off, you won't take a one of a kind highly experimental and untested machine to the max on the first run. Baby steps. 

Baby steps after 11 years?  You seem to have missed the fact that they are 11 years into this project.

FYI: Art Arfons hit the gas and set records after just a few runs.

1 minute ago, QBF said:

Baby steps after 11 years?  You seem to have missed the fact that they are 11 years into this project.

it's never been used before, no matter how old the project is it would be suicidal to go 500mph+ to whatever on the first ever run. Thrust SSC did the same. F1 cars do the same. You don't see them crank up the power to 11 and push the cars to the limits on the first outings do you? 

3 hours ago, QBF said:

After building it himself on his farm - for very little money. The tires were probably the biggest single expense he incurred.

He and Breedlove and the others like them were hot rodders, not moon shot teams.

3 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

it's never been used before, no matter how old the project is it would be suicidal to go 500mph+ to whatever on the first ever run. Thrust SSC did the same. F1 cars do the same. You don't see them crank up the power to 11 and push the cars to the limits on the first outings do you? 

No - but only a double digit speed?

Limp. They could have done that on the parking lot of the warehouse where they built it.

This is one reason not to waste good weather days

Credit where credit is due...

Today Bloodhound ran 334 MPH (537kmh) which vastly surpasses the 210 MPH run they made two years ago.

4 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

Raptor, Bloodhound ran the car at 210mph in 2017. That is two years ago!

With all due respect, you might want to read their website...

21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

After building it himself on his farm - for very little money. The tires were probably the biggest single expense he incurred.

He and Breedlove and the others like them were hot rodders, not moon shot teams.

To be honest, the days of backyard builders for the unlimited class are pretty much over. I think Rosco McGlashan (Aussie Invader 5R) may be the last "partial backyard builder" where he and his team are building part of the car and letting professionals in various fields build the rest. Rosco just puts things together.

However, and this is just my opinion, even if Bloodhound is very successful and breaks ThrustSSC's supersonic record (1997) and maybe even the 1,000 mph barrier, they have burnt through so much money already that it will be very difficult for anyone else to procure sponsors for another attempt.  Actually, I've contacted Rosco's team a few times already, I think I'll ask them if Bloodhounds spending habits has had an effect on their getting donations/sponsors.

From Bloodhound's Facebook page

The Bloodhound Land Speed Racing team today obliterated its target of 450mph by recording a top speed of 461mph, but had to abort a second run thanks to some minor bodywork damage.

Today’s ‘Run Profile 5’ called for a max reheat (afterburner) start from the zero-kilometre mark at the north end of the Hakskeenpan desert runway.

As well as pushing the speed further, a key objective today was to test the left parachute, after a successful deployment of the right parachute yesterday (October 31st).

Andy Green rolled off the line in ‘max dry’ - no flames out the back - before picking the speed up to 50mph, at which point he pressed the throttle peddle past the detent catch, which engaged maximum reheat.

All of the Bloodhound’s 90kN of thrust (54,000bhp) was used to blast the car up to 461 mph. Andy had lifted off the throttle at 440mph to stabilise the car, before pulling the left parachute to test it is in working order.

As expected, the parachute took a second to deploy behind the car, before flying perfectly on its 20m strop (line).

Andy reported he could feel the parachute tugging rear of the car from side to side as it filled with air and increased the drag. The chute will be modified by removing ribbons two and four to see if will fly more steadily.

Once the speed had dropped to 150mph on the parachute, Andy applied the front wheel brakes to bring Bloodhound to a stop at the 9km mark.

As on the previous run, the ‘Rescue 2’ recovery team was quickly on scene to uncouple the parachute strop from the back of the car, which Andy then taxied on idle to the 16km mark at the south end of the track.

Here he performed a 240m diameter teardrop shaped U-turn to bring the car back to the adjacent track and ready for Run Profile 6.

Unfortunately, on inspection, the team identified a minor issue with the titanium skin on the rear deltas (the aerodynamic bodywork that covers the rear suspension). This caused the planned second run of 500mph to be aborted, and saw the car recovered to the Tech Camp for repair work.

268272307_DamagedStrut.thumb.jpeg.f73e2d2b3a61d1ba8bbe802a0632cd28.jpeg

Mark Chapman, Engineering Director, explained: "The issue was with an ‘into wind step’, which is an area of the bodywork that high speed air and desert grit blasted into as such a rate on this run, that it pealed back a corner, up to the first rivet. The Fabrication Team are trimming the 30mm long piece of titanium off before they bond and rivet a patch to cover the area.”

A dust storm occurred in the afternoon

1483226162_Duststorm.thumb.jpg.e518a34b86117ae0ffe0233ad5c1a6a5.jpg

Here is the video of their 461 mph run

Well that goes a bit of the way to explaining how they have spent 10's of $millions.

WTF Titanium there?

Aluminium would have worked just fine - and been lighter.

For those who do not know the more recent background of the Bloodhound project, here is a link to when the project was put up for sale (December 2018)

A very good run from Bloodhound!

‪Successful 491mph run. Unfortunately no return run possible as the car sustained minor bodywork damage to the rear delta again. Returning to Tech camp to review the data‬.

293108388_Bloodhounddamage.jpg.06352bc6da71fc21e7ecb1376abf2d85.jpg

Yesterday, Bloodhound broke the 500mph barrier with a 501mph run.

They are half-way to their 1000mph goal, but judging from previous LSR attempts, the fun really begins at more than 600mph.

Turn your volume up!

• Like 1

On the Ultimate Wheel-Driven side, comes Target 550 driven by Valerie Thompson.
http://www.target550.com

Valerie Thompson holds the LSR record for women's motorcyclists.

1511987591_ValerieThompson.1.jpg.6d4854b7127e2d9e30cdf36e26db600f.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ValerieRacing

Target 550 4-wheel streamliner

1017209191_ValerieThompson.2.jpg.d472243da07dae49f89caec2ec970c37.jpg

World Record attempt at Lake Gairdner in South Australia in March, 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/Target-550-Land-speed-racing-streamliner-project-183427418340703

Here is a 7-minute video of Valerie Thompson piloting the Target 550 Streamliner at World of Speed, September 13, 2019. She posted a top speed of 291.478 mph before the rough salt caused parts to break. The Target 550's next stop: Lake Gairdner, Australia!

Note: This run was only Valerie's third run in this car and she hit 291mph!

Here is a better pic of Valerie Thompson for you

Valerie Thompson.3.jpg

Here is a great video on the Battle Of Bonneville  during the 1960's

Art Arfons vs Craig Breedlove vs Walt Arfons

15 hours ago, QBF said:

On the Ultimate Wheel-Driven side, comes Target 550 driven by Valerie Thompson.
http://www.target550.com

Valerie Thompson holds the LSR record for women's motorcyclists.

1511987591_ValerieThompson.1.jpg.6d4854b7127e2d9e30cdf36e26db600f.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ValerieRacing

Target 550 4-wheel streamliner

1017209191_ValerieThompson.2.jpg.d472243da07dae49f89caec2ec970c37.jpg

World Record attempt at Lake Gairdner in South Australia in March, 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/Target-550-Land-speed-racing-streamliner-project-183427418340703

Here is a 7-minute video of Valerie Thompson piloting the Target 550 Streamliner at World of Speed, September 13, 2019. She posted a top speed of 291.478 mph before the rough salt caused parts to break. The Target 550's next stop: Lake Gairdner, Australia!

Note: This run was only Valerie's third run in this car and she hit 291mph!

Here is a better pic of Valerie Thompson for you

Valerie Thompson.3.jpg

I watched her first and second runs in August at Speed Week 2019. The Target 550 car is a huge beast. At speed week a couple years ago they could not get a decent run off without breaking something. Same issue in Australia. Valerie made a couple good practice runs at Speed Week on a very rough course. I thought her second run was upper 200's. They spent a lot of time static testing with her ingress/egress, engine start/shutdown and just getting familiar with the controls.

Update on the Jessi Combs crash

Jessi Combs' fatal 500mph jet car crash was caused by her front wheel shattering after hitting an object in the desert - but she died BEFORE flames engulfed the vehicle

* The front wheel of Combs' jet car hit something as she sped along in the desert:

* 'The front wheel failure led to the front wheel assembly collapsing.

* 'The front wheel failure occurred at speeds approaching 550 miles per hour.

* 'The cause of death of Ms. Combs was determined to be blunt force trauma to the head occurring prior to the fire that engulfed the race vehicle after the crash.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7652587/Jessi-Combs-fatal-jet-car-crash-caused-by.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Jeezuss! Didn't they walk the track first to sweep for FOD?

That sounds inexcusable.

I also read somewhere that she didn't even have a roll cage - anyone know if that's true? If so, also inexcusable.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Jeezuss! Didn't they walk the track first to sweep for FOD?

That sounds inexcusable.

I also read somewhere that she didn't even have a roll cage - anyone know if that's true? If so, also inexcusable.

Here is my statement about the lack of a roll cage. I‘ll ask someone about this tomorrow when I am on my lappy.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:06 AM, QBF said:

Not necessarily...

Driving an LSR vehicle is not as dangerous as one might imagine. There have been only seven deaths in the Unlimited Class (wheel driven & thrust powered) since the LSR's inception.

In order of death:

* J. A. Parry-Thomas (1927)

* Frank Lockhart (1928)

* Lee Bible (1929)

* Bernd Rosemeyer (1938)

* Arthol Graham (1960)

* Glenn Leasher (1962)

* Jessi Combs (2019)
Note: North American Eagle did not have a roll cage!  I cannot see how they could have passed an sanctioned inspection without a roll cage.

https://lsrdeaths.webs.com/191039.htm

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much a roll cage would help at 500+ mph.

"Based on the evidence collected and examined at the scene of the crash and the evidence recovered by the North American Race Team, it appears that there was a mechanical failure of the front wheel, most likely caused from striking an object on the desert." 

As for clearing the track that is a lot of area. I'd like to know what the protocol is.

The lake bed is about 12 miles long.  Say the usable track is 10 miles long. Give yourself 1/4 mile on either side of the track and that is 5 square miles.  I don't know how wide the intended course is or it's area.  Be easy to miss a tumbleweed that blew in the night before.  How close to the line was she?

"Most likely caused."    Who did the forensics?  What are their qualifications?

Short of forward facing cameras on the vehicle we have weak evidence to work with.

Top fuel drag racers routinely walk away from 300+ MPH crashes - really serious shit. As Don Garlits once said on a TV ad - "I've been upside down, backwards and on fire faster than most people have ever gone". It was literally true after he had a blowover.

Hard for most people to grasp but those kind of speeds are survivavble with proper engineering. A tumbleweed won't shatter an aluminium wheel and inspecting the track for FOD is standard practice for most of those people. If it is indeed as described I'd put my money on a rock.

Breedlove walked away from a 500 MPH crash 55 years ago when he lost all his stopping ability. He was completely unhurt and even joked about it when his crew arrived - "For my next act I set myself on fire".

image.png.920ebd4e4ec6d251106f418763b9f89c.png

12 hours ago, Autonomous said:

An unremarkable dusty rock could be easy to miss during the inspection, that's for sure.

You're grasping for straws...  With the vehicle lacking even a roll cage, the North American Eagle team was obviously not all that concerned with safety.

Could they have missed a dirt covered rock? Yes, but given their lack of basic safety concern (roll cage), I'm not going to take their side.

As for your statement that a roll cage would not protect a driver at high speed, if you watched the Arfons - Breedlove - Arfons video (posted above) at around the 17 minute mark the narrator states that Art Arfons Green Monster began to cartwheel at 610 mph.  Art Arfons lived!  The Green Monster had a roll cage.

Then this year, the driver of the wheel-driven ultimate record car, Carbinite, crashed at more than 400 mph. The driver lived.  Carbinite also had a roll cage.

You say grasping at straws, I say thinking out loud.

I don't follow their efforts and don't know the protocols.

Just now, Autonomous said:

You say grasping at straws, I say thinking out loud.

I don't follow their efforts and don't know the protocols.

With all due respect, you should have at least basic knowledge of the team and the LSR before you argue on their side.

3 hours ago, QBF said:

As for your statement that a roll cage would not protect a driver at high speed

That's not what I said.

3 hours ago, QBF said:

With all due respect, you should have at least basic knowledge of the team and the LSR before you argue on their side.

With all due respect if you are going to put words in someone's mouth you should have some basic knowledge of what they actually said.

16 hours ago, Autonomous said:

An unremarkable dusty rock could be easy to miss during the inspection, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, QBF said:

You're grasping for straws...  

That is not a "bad  straw" to take a look at.

Those wheels  are aluminum.

? how many runs on that set ?  (work hardening) 

? had they had any other impact events on those wheels ?  (point loading to an incipient microcrack)

At the  RPM those wheels turn,  materials failure  results in a fragmentation  bomb

Something interesting I found on a news feed about Bloodhound hitting 501 mph. Apologize if this has been mentioned before. :

Green reckons that South Africa’s Hakskeen Pan is the best place to reach that speed. In northwestern South Africa, near the border with Namibia, the dry lake has an alkali playa, or baked mud, surface and has been painstakingly cleared of all rocks.

The government of the Northern Cape province hired more than 300 people of the local Mier community in a yearslong project to clear 16,500 tons (15,000 metric tons) of stone from the 12-mile-long (19-kilometer-long) track, said Bloodhound spokesman Jules Tipler.

Torque n Power Special Episode - Rosco McGlashan Part1
Note: Part2 of this interview will deal with Aussie Invader 5R, Rosco McGlashan's new car that is shown  in the background of the video.

Yesterday Bloodhound smashed their 600mph target speed with a 628mph / 1010kph and successfully completed their high speed test programme.

No official time has been posted as to exactly when they'll be back in South Africa to run again. However, several posts list a 12-18 month time frame.

• Like 1

So after more than a decade they get up to the speeds of 50 years ago and then they knock off for a year or two?

I liked it a whole lot better when it was Breedlove and Arfons going at it hammer and tong.

All is was not as good as Bloodhound has let on to on either their website or Facebook page.

From TopGear.com
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/andy-green-bloodhound-its-worse-drive-i-hoped

Ollie Marriage: I took a picture on the pan earlier and it took me a second to realize what I was looking at – the wheel tracks weren’t even. In fact in one of them Bloodhound is so far sideways the front and rear wheels on one side are in line and there’s only three tracks through the desert.

Andy Green: I know the one you’re talking about. That was at about 350mph. Probably 90 degrees of steering lock and four degrees of yaw.

This is the photo of the track Bloodhound left.  Do you see anything odd in this photo?

Bloodhound.thumb.jpg.106d8eb6c59b0cc03d8b46346ece2079.jpg

HINT: Bloodhound has 4-wheels!

On the water record side...

Spirit of Australia II to attempt the World Water Speed Record

Like father like son, Ken Warby and his boy Dave love fast boats. But their passion isn’t just any fast boat, it must be the fastest boat - ever!
Ken Warby currently holds the water speed record of 317.58 miles per hour (511.10 kilometres per hour), set on Blowering Dam on 8 October 1978.
http://warbymotorsport.com/boats/spirit-of-australia-2/

Spirit of Australia II is the new second generation, Outright Unlimited World Water Speed Record Challenger by Warby Motorsport, the boat has taken 5 years to complete. Designed by Ken Warby, Spirit of Australia II is an new & improved version of Ken’s World Record holding boat, the original Spirit of Australia,  Ken & Dave analysed the information collected from Ken’s 2 world records in Spirit of Australia, then set about making small improvements in the hull design to ensure the new Spirit of Australia II would be a record breaker.

Hemmings News published a very interesting article on Bloodhound.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/11/19/bloodhound-team-heads-home-after-628-mph-run-but-will-it-return-for-the-record

From Hemmings.com
<snip> Judging from videos, the mood of the entire Bloodhound LSR team as it packed up and left Hakskeen Pan this week ran from celebratory to jovial. The jet car had performed admirably with driver Andy Green at the wheel, media coverage and social media attention had spread word of the tests around the world, and the team could boast of a one-way speed in excess of 600 mph and 1,000 km/h.

What few people seemed certain of is when, or even if, the team will return to South Africa for runs at the world land-speed record and at the team’s ultimate goal of 1,000 mph.

From 2007 until late last year, the Bloodhound team spent about £30 million to design and build the hybrid jet/rocket car and to test it once at low speeds in Britain. At the time of Warhurst’s purchase of the team, it reportedly needed another £15 million to break the existing land-speed record and another £10 million to go 1,000 mph. When setting the test session date over the summer, Warhurst said that he was counting on the session to not only tell the team how the vehicle will handle higher speeds but also to show potential sponsors that the vehicle was indeed capable of breaking the record.

Whether those sponsors will now come through is anybody’s guess. Warhurst has estimated a timeline of 12 to 18 months which, if all works out, would still concur with his original goal of returning to Hakskeen Pan in October 2020 for record attempts.

Another big question mark lies in the vehicle’s hybrid drivetrain. The single Eurofighter Rolls-Royce EJ200 turbofan, with its 9kN of thrust, or about 54,000 brake horse power, handily pushed Bloodhound to 628 mph in just 50 seconds, and the video of the run appeared no more dramatic than a drive to the corner store. However, to get the vehicle to surpass the record, the team will now need to install and test hydrogen peroxide rockets from Nammo, rockets that were not included in this most recent testing session. Those rockets have yet to be built or even designed, and Green has said that the record is unattainable without them. <end snip>

* From conception in 2007 to the end of 2018 when they declared bankruptcy, the Bloodhound team spent £30,000,000.00 ($38,700,688.87 USD) to get the car to run 210mph.

* They estimate that to break the current land speed record (763mph) they'll need another £15,000,000.00 ($19,350,344.44 USD).

* Then to break the 1,000mph barrier they estimate they'll need yet another £10,000,000.00 ($12,900,229.62 USD).

* Bringing the total to £55,000,000.00 ($70,967,741.94 USD)!

However, so far the Bloodhound team has vastly underestimated the amount of money required to design, test, and run their car.

I wonder how much Breedlove spent - to break the record three times.?

IMHO non-wheel driven speed records are silly, they are building half-assed dangerous airplanes and doing high speed taxi tests. The one that crashed literally was an airplane with most of the wings sawed off.

2 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

IMHO non-wheel driven speed records are silly, they are building half-assed dangerous airplanes and doing high speed taxi tests. The one that crashed literally was an airplane with most of the wings sawed off.

Ya oughta go out to the ECTA in Springfield one weekend while the racing is happening - I think you'd enjoy seeing what a bunch of hyper-intelligent adrenaline junkies can come up with to go fast.  

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I wonder how much Breedlove spent - to break the record three five times.?

Slight correction, Breedlove broke the record five times with two vehicles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, QBF said:

Slight correction, Breedlove broke the record five times with two vehicles.

Correct - I was only thinking of the biggies - 400, 500 and 600.

4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I was out sailing when someone was trying to break a water speed record. They crashed and died around Baltimore Light IIRC :(

That seems to happen to most of them if they keep at it. Once you get much past 60 on water you are living on luck - the surface is too unpredictable.

Warbe seems determined to die trying.

Some years back Reggie Fountain delivered one of his big muscle boats here - a couple of blown big blocks in a 40-ish footer.

I watched and heard them blasting up & down Howe sound at what must have been close to, if not triple digits. I kept expecting to hear a sudden stop to the noise when they hit a deadhead or other debris - it ain't like Floriduh in this area. The area they were running has regular tows of log booms and they leave a lot of trash in the water.

They got lucky but I've never seen the boat since.

• Like 1

This is what a "Backyard" LSR team does for its fans. They don't waste money renting banquet halls in 4-star hotels.

From the Aussie Invader Facebook page

"We had a visit from the Bolwell and Triumph Car Clubs yesterday, it was great to see these guys and to give them an intro into how our car operates and some of the technology we have designed and developed to build a 1000 mph car."

"It has taken me a long time to realise that the average person in the street or die hard car enthusiast has no idea of the difference between a rocket or jet engine or even the dedication needed to set a LSR."

Car Clubs1.jpg

Car Clubs2.jpg

Car Clubs3.jpg

Samuel Hawley, the author of multiple books on the Land Speed Record has created a new YouTube channel where he posts on the various LSR cars and their drivers.

I have read his book "ULTIMATE SPEED" the boiography of Craig Breedlove and really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading his book "Speed Duel: The Inside Story of the Land Speed Record in the Sixties" that features the duel between Breedlove and the Arfons brothers.

Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America SECRET WEAPON!

• Like 1