Sign in to follow this  
dacapo

1995 Bene Oceanis 351

a friend is looking at one (this one in the ad)...any thoughts from the peanut gallery? (I'll keep mine close tyo the pocket until I hear a few from you except i think they;'re asking wayyyyyyy too much

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-beneteau-oceanis-351-103627422/?refSource=standard listing

There's one we work on regularlarly that has big issues with the internal keel and floor grid, where it has completely detached from the hull.

Not sure why, no grounding or sign of impact since last haul out.

Without removing most of the saloon furniture, next to impossible to make a satisfactory repair. Not one that I'll sign off on anyway. Even the surveyor is struggling with how to fix it.

So, pay attention to the grid/hull bonding...

Good little boat otherwise.

Looks nice, price does not seem unreasonable for the age, many mid 90's boat are in that price range.  Information in the engine is a bit thin.  With a good survey....

On 7/23/2019 at 5:51 PM, dacapo said:

a friend is looking at one (this one in the ad)...any thoughts from the peanut gallery? (I'll keep mine close tyo the pocket until I hear a few from you except i think they;'re asking wayyyyyyy too much

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-beneteau-oceanis-351-103627422/?refSource=standard listing

I sold a few of these. My service manager and I used to say these would be the perfect boat with a bit more keel and rig.

Cockpit is great. The version for sale is the 'owner's version' which has the big scratcher in the back, one big head (who needs two) and a breezy pleasant saloon. 

We've thrashed the bonded grid construction method to death at SA especially with the Cheeky Rafiki tragedy, suffice to say there are probably more than a thousand variants of this design sailing today; but yes, detached grid liners are a thing and deserves attention at survey.

Beneteau don't want these boats to be too stiff. They'll break if they load up too much. That's why they survive charter work and that's why more keel and rig would have made this a really good boat.

If you want to chortle around the bay and entertain you couldn't do better. It wouldn't be my first choice for getting into racing or Bluewater cruising, though.