Sign in to follow this  
shavdog

J22 Cruiser....

Anyone have a nice J22 Cruiser they want to sell.....with roller furling, a main with slugs and a cover, and a nice roadable trailer....

J22 is the best bang for the buck out there for OD racing. Our Wed series regularly gets 12 on the line. Why would you want to make a cruiser out of that? If you want to bastardize something there are tons of J24s that need to be put out of their misery.  my .02

They're out there, but I'm sure you've seen that the vast majority are set up for OD racing. Best bet is to find one that hasn't been raced aggressively and add the equipment that you want...or find 2 people and come racing.

• Like 1

One really nice one just sold on craigslist Buffalo NY......most of the race boats look like it and that doesn't interest me....They are around.....

total waste of a J22 there's barely sitting headroom down below

I have thought that it could be set up like a cheap version of the alerion 28 by adding coamings and doing a stackpack and roller furling. 

I have a couple and I would gladly set one up as a cruising version. 

It wouldn’t be cheap. Reinforcing the sump and adding some lead might be a good idea. 

Are you thinking about adding an inboard? I think that would thoroughly cramp the interior design plans 

Thanks for the responses....when I say cruiser I simply mean adding a furler, main with slugs and a reefing point and a boat in top condtion....not run down from racing....it's still a daysailer for me....

I

like the idea of a cruising J-22 a whole lot better than a Catalina 22. Pearson 22, Electra, South Coast 22, com pac 23, merit 22, Starwind 23, Chrysler 23, Ranger 23, or some wing keel piece of shit like a Beneteau 235. 

The J-22 actually sails well. 

Go for it!!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 12:52 AM, Gouvernail said:

I have a couple and I would gladly set one up as a cruising version. 

It wouldn’t be cheap. Reinforcing the sump and adding some lead might be a good idea. 

Are you thinking about adding an inboard? I think that would thoroughly cramp the interior design plans 

So Gouv, what you you do to cruisify a J22? Adding lead? Why? Relative lightness is the boat's greatest asset.

I was thinking reinstall pulpit and lifelines and do a sprit with an asym. I realize the latter has been addressed here before but the boat seems like a proper candidate.

Oooh .   Bow pulpit .... yeah. Great use for my stash from the eighties 

more lead because the boat is not comfortably  stable without crew 

addition of a radios, head, stove, sink, water tanks, and stored stuff like cheese and seeds to grow sprouts will also add to form stability. 

I have a Volvo Penta from a J-34 that would put some weight down low 

with the installation of a heater and a Jacuzzi pump, the cockpit could be used as a nice hot tub 

Does anyone have any history or experience with an Alerion 28....Because I owned a cape dory 22 for 8 yrs I am very partial to that look.....I know about the core issues in the earlier models...I could be interested in one with a survey from a knowledgeable surveyor.....thanks for comments...a j27 could be a possibility....I don't care for the j80 or 70....