This the season. Well, preseason in a few weeks.training camps are up and running and sports radio guys are relieved to quit talking about baseball ( at least here in Seattle)

Seahawks will be missing Jarran Reed for the first 6 games of the season. Suspended for DV issue. Interestingly, 3 days after KC's Hill was given a pass after being caught on a recording, threatening to beat his girlfriend like he did his son.

Both ought to be booted from the league for good. IMHO

Barring any injuries in camp my Seahawks are headed into the season as a bit of an unknown quantity! I think they have a good group that will get them to the playoffs again.

Any predictions for your own teams??

WL

Hope springs eternal. The 9er talking heads keep talking about playoffs. Always good for a laugh!

Bears. B)

Frankly, it depends on Trubisky’s continued progress. 

Has Belichick's contract with the devil expired yet?

• Like 1

I was at Steelers training camp today on the field (15 yard line). They looked pretty good. JuJu caught an impossible pass right at my feet. Nice kid too. Santonio Holmes was working out with the WR’s (sorry Seattle fans)...

Fight broke out between Villanueva and Hayward. Pretty cool to see the D and O going at it. Switzer looked good as well as Conner. 

Awesome day watching the team come together in person!

Go Steelers!

I just watched Kevin Mawae’s speech as he was enshrined in the Hall of Fame. If you have any notion that the entire NFL was full of spoiled babies......find and watch his speech tomorrow or when it gets posted. Stellar.

Having Paxton Lynch and Geno Smith for backups to Russell Wilson is a nice position to be in. Lynch got a little revenge on his former team this evening.

I really liked what I saw out of the rookies on both sides of the ball for the Seahawks.

WL

On 7/31/2019 at 7:05 PM, Point Break said:

Browns/Bears Super Bowl? Could happen.

The key to any season is injuries. I'm a big Bears fan too but if Mack goes down or Trubisky sprains an ankle you can kiss a run into the playoffs good bye. Also, the need for a good kicker (I didn't say superstar kicker) is critical. Loosing to the Beagles at the end of the season hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rum Runner said:

Now Bears picked to finish last in division:  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sports-illustrated-predicts-bears-finish-025218470.html

Guess the Chicago cheerleaders have blinders on.

Sorry, Detroit has their eye on that last place spot.  Amazing how little optimism there is in Detroit right now.  

32 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Sorry, Detroit has their eye on that last place spot.  Amazing how little optimism there is in Detroit right now.  

Funny how you lose hope after 62 years of losing. 

7 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Who would have thought that the Wayne Fontes years would be the high point in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, Tax Man said:

Who would have thought that the Wayne Fontes years would be the high point in my lifetime.

If Jimmy Johnson had coached the Lions and Fontes the Cowboys the Lions would have at least been in 3 Super Bowls. And the Cowboys none. 

1 hour ago, chinabald said:

I remember being about 6yo at a boat club in Detroit where one of my parent's friends had played on the '57 Championship Lions.  He took off his ring and let this 6yo kid play with it for about an hour.  Pretty unique experience in this town.  

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

I remember being about 6yo at a boat club in Detroit where one of my parent's friends had played on the '57 Championship Lions.  He took off his ring and let this 6yo kid play with it for about an hour.  Pretty unique experience in this town.  

Like having Bigfoot as a babysitter. 

On 8/26/2019 at 11:47 AM, chinabald said:

If Jimmy Johnson had coached the Lions and Fontes the Cowboys the Lions would have at least been in 3 Super Bowls. And the Cowboys none. 

thing is lions didn't have walker to trade..     detroit had a great player and let him walk..   been downhill ever since..

idle thought   elliot for clowney      ...  texans get a running back since they lost theirs..   boys get an even better defense and maybe kick one of the bums off the line.

Cut down day with lots of roster moves taking place. But the haymaker gets thrown by the Seahawks with the trade for Jadevon Clowney. If it all pencils out the Texans GM/Coach has some 'splainin' to do to their fans!!!

PB- Rooting for the Bears Thursday night to kick off the season!!!

WL

2 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Cut down day with lots of roster moves taking place. But the haymaker gets thrown by the Seahawks with the trade for Jadevon Clowney. If it all pencils out the Texans GM/Coach has some 'splainin' to do to their fans!!!

PB- Rooting for the Bears Thursday night to kick off the season!!!

WL

Puzzling trade by the Texans. Good job Hawks.

Oh yes............next Thursday.........should be a pretty good game.

Da Bears.

59 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Puzzling trade by the Texans. Good job Hawks.

Oh yes............next Thursday.........should be a pretty good game.

Da Bears.

i am guessing that Deshawn Watson asked "hey, where de white women at  is the OL?

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

i am guessing that Deshawn Watson asked "hey, where de white women at  is the OL?

D'  i'm going to cut ya a break on this.. if you have ever met deshaun, you would have never said that in jest.  he is simply the nicest most humble guy you could ever meet..  he grew up in a habitat for humanity house and never forgets it..

Sorry, poor attempt at humor - he is a class guy and it sucks that the Texans front office is so dysfunctional they cobbled together an OL that allowed him to be sacked 62 times.  (that line came from Blazing Saddles btw).  O'Brien is well on his way to cement that no former assistant to Bellicheck has ever made it as a HC.  I really hope he can stay healthy and they get bring in some talent to protect him.  It shows his class that he has never complained or commented about the lack of talent in front of him. McNair before he died let the best guy go to SEA because he was an uppity non white guy.  I watched him play some big games at Clemson and knew he would be great if he could stay healthy.

Laremy Tunsil should help keep him upright. Dolphins fighting hard for first pick 2020. 

54 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

he grew up in a habitat for humanity house and never forgets it..

Having spent two years not that long ago working with HFH in Detroit and contributing to the construction of over 20 homes, WTF is wrong with a HFH home?  They are purposely simple, low maintenance, no frill houses.  But they are sound and provide a very respectable roof over one's head.  They also demonstrate a family that is working.  The zero interest loan requires that the homeowner meets minimum income level but they must be working.  Most importantly to me, was that the HFH homeowner to be had to put hundreds of hours of sweat equity into theirs or another HFH home.  

I attended about 5 dedications during my time working with them.  This is when a new HFH homeowner takes possession, usually the first place they have owned.  No dry eyes when they speak from the heart what it means to them and their family.  

Please don't use HFH as a poster child for poverty, it's not, it's a symbol of hope.    

answering for GMD I think he was stating Watson came from humble beginnings. (Being somewhat savvy in construction it's amazing those houses get finished with companies sending over a bunch of office folks to help build them) - It's Jimmy Carter's doing and kudos for that.

so.....................................

So since I have put my foot in it might as well as tell this story - the previous Houston team signed the first black QB from the CFL - good looking, eloquent guy, soon to be all pro and very well liked. (this was told to me my a woman who was in the social circles), so anyway the couple had a big fight, cops called before they get there it's a car chase and afterwards everything possible done to squash the story. So, as I was told the QB had a gf who was the daughter of a wealthy developer, big time socialite and so on valentines day the QB buys a new Lexus, has it filled with roses including a card to be delivered. Oops, delivered to his house, wife finds it, goes from being ecstatic to you know what and starts beating the car with a bat, QB arrives home, hilarity ensues and the rest is history.

H-town can be entertaining sometimes.

32 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

(Being somewhat savvy in construction it's amazing those houses get finished with companies sending over a bunch of office folks to help build them)

Don't forget the Church groups.  They usually also donated money so we just grinned and beared it.  Mondays were spent fixing all of their help.  It was fun to see them arrive like Amish going to a barn-raising, just to be asked to clean the brush from a lot.  

On 8/26/2019 at 10:27 AM, Rum Runner said:

Now Bears picked to finish last in division:  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sports-illustrated-predicts-bears-finish-025218470.html

Oh please, my Bengals have been picked to be last in their division this year since about last November.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:27 AM, Rum Runner said:

The SI claim is being dismissed in much of the Midwest.  The alleged in-the-know types have the Bears at 9-7 or 10-6.  Better if Mitch shows improvement, worse if the D does not come close to last year’s performance.

So, the Texan's head coach/GM not only allowed Clowney to leave. He also paid half of the cost by paying his signing bonus of 8 mil. This let the Hawks pick up a 3 time pro bowl DE  for a one year rental of 7 million.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/9/1/20843313/report-seattle-seahawks-obliterated-houston-texans-clowney-trade-salary-bonus-cap-hit

I'm thinking he is not long for the position of either HC or GM at this rate.

As for John Schneider, GM of the year candidate??

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/8/31/20842300/seahawks-clowney-trade-frank-clark-compensation-jadeveon-john-schneider-seattle-details-offseason

WL

3 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

The SI claim is being dismissed in much of the Midwest.  The alleged in-the-know types have the Bears at 9-7 or 10-6.  Better if Mitch shows improvement, worse if the D does not come close to last year’s performance.

Yes, that assessment is pretty much an outlier among the sports pundits. He’ll either be an idiot or a genius depending on how the season goes. Most figure playoff very likely, super bowl possible. I do agree on the Trubisky variable. Another is the O-line. Frankly it’s not that deep a bench there and Long is injury prone these last few years although he had a good camp. I’d be surprised if the “D” doesn’t show up strong. Lotta depth there especially in the secondary. I’m not really worried about that......except the Denver game.......for obvious reasons......I think 9-7 or 10-6 is a very rational expectation for the Bears. 

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Yes, that assessment is pretty much an outlier among the sports pundits. He’ll either be an idiot or a genius depending on how the season goes. Most figure playoff very likely, super bowl possible. I do agree on the Trubisky variable. Another is the O-line. Frankly it’s not that deep a bench there and Long is injury prone these last few years although he had a good camp. I’d be surprised if the “D” doesn’t show up strong. Lotta depth there especially in the secondary. I’m not really worried about that......except the Denver game.......for obvious reasons......I think 9-7 or 10-6 is a very rational expectation for the Bears. 

Special section in today’ Chi Tribune dissecting the teams, predicting finishes.  Consensus among 10 sportswriters (4 Chicago, 2 Baltimore, 2 NY, 1 Hartford, 1 the Morning Call) is Eagles and Chiefs in SB with Chiefs winning it all.  I don’t follow the NFL all that closely but the Chiefs?  Is Mahones that good?

4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Special section in today’ Chi Tribune dissecting the teams, predicting finishes.  Consensus among 10 sportswriters (4 Chicago, 2 Baltimore, 2 NY, 1 Hartford, 1 the Morning Call) is Eagles and Chiefs in SB with Chiefs winning it all.  I don’t follow the NFL all that closely but the Chiefs?  Is Mahones that good?

Yes he is..............

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

I doubt it’s for Tua. They have so many needs that they might as well gather picks and take their lumps after building some cap space. Tough year ahead. 

On 8/31/2019 at 7:29 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Laremy Tunsil should help keep him upright. Dolphins fighting hard for first pick 2020. 

They're going to Hurts for a long time in miami

Jones is fucking crazy, (he can afford it), but it'll fuck up the team in the long run... I hope he's got a couple of "if suspension" clauses in there..

Sources with knowledge of the talks confirmed to me Elliott had agreed to sign a six-year extension with the Cowboys worth $90 million, with $50 million in guaranteed money. Those numbers surpass the market-setting numbers installed by Todd Gurley in 2018, and locks Elliott in for a total of eight years at $103 million.

90 mill extension with 50 guaranteed for a total of 103 mill over the 8 years. I enjoy football but there is just something that rubs the wrong way about that much money in the system. The NFL certainly has a stranglehold on the $$ flow from the fan base. Capitalism at its best. Impressive  

90 mill extension with 50 guaranteed for a total of 103 mill over the 8 years. I enjoy football but there is just something that rubs the wrong way about that much money in the system. The NFL certainly has a stranglehold on the $$ flow from the fan base. Capitalism at its best. Impressive  

Would be good to see more of that put away for CTE and other crippling ailments of the sport.  I watch games on TV but have zero interest in attending, the enclosed stadiums are too loud and too busy. HS and small college games are a lot more enjoyable, seems that it's the event more than the sport for most folks.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

If it doesn't go to the players, the owners pocket it.

Say that name three times fast.......

Detroit Lions sign ex-Arizona Cardinals QB Chad Kanoff to practice squad

Tonight.....................

Gonna be a great game. Go Bears. For those of you not from Chicago, the Bears pass any other sports team in importance here. Everyone forgets the Cubs, White Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks when the Bears play.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Gonna be a great game. Go Bears. For those of you not from Chicago, the Bears pass any other sports team in importance incompetence here. Everyone forgets the Cubs, White Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks when the Bears play.  

FIFY.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:30 PM, Raz'r said:

Has Belichick's contract with the devil expired yet?

i fucking hope so

The Jets are 1 year away from the AFC Championship.........They will come in second in the AFC East (10-6)  and get a wild card game

4 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Say that name three times fast.......

Detroit Lions sign ex-Arizona Cardinals QB Chad Kanoff to practice squad

The sports talk show guys in town were all over it. I was crying 

49 minutes ago, dacapo said:

The Jets are 1 year away from the AFC Championship.........They will come in second in the AFC East (10-6)  and get a wild card game

Your team hired Jim Bob Cooter to be the running backs coach. No team with judgement that bad will win anything. 

A punt fest

Man, the Bears own the Packers O line. Rodgers will be lucky to get out of this game intact!

WL

Hating Rodgers is a universal thing.

3 hours ago, dacapo said:

• Like 1

I didn't pay much attention to the Bears in preseason. But the announcers are talking about the rust from not taking enough snaps in preseason? Trubisky looks very rusty

WL

6 minutes ago, White Lightnin' said:

I didn't pay much attention to the Bears in preseason. But the announcers are talking about the rust from not taking enough snaps in preseason? Trubisky looks very rusty

WL

Agreed. Nagy took some heat for that as well. Maybe fair criticism given how clunky the Bear O looks. I mean two delay of game in one drive?!

PB

You guys are going to like having Mike Davis. He was a good solid performer for the Hawks last year and I hated to see him go. 

Still hating the Packers!

Go Hawks!!

WL

Was it great defense or bad offense? I’m pretty sure for the Bears it was both. 

I went to bed at halftime, did the Bears miss any field goals? 

If that is what football will look like this year, when does hockey start?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

If that is what football will look like this year, when does hockey start?

I admit to being a Bears fan but the NFL should be embarrassed. That was one of the most boring games I have seen in a long time. 16 or 17 punts. What a waste of my evening. Even the end was predictable. We knew Trubisky was going to throw an interception at the end of the game to hand it to the Packers. Someone please shoot me (or take away my beer) the next time I get so greedy about the Bears.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

WL

this has been a trend over the last couple of years... as star players are costing  $10+ mil a season, they're not playing pre-season to avoid injuries, so it's takes a couple of games for them to finally get up to speed.. 

The only reason I will root for GB is they are the only team that is not owned by some old white racist billionaire (may Bob McNair RIP)

Fuck DaBears...  how's  Trubisky doin?   the next great white dope...   who were those other guys?   Watson?  Mahomes?   could have had either one and saved 2 3rds and a 4th

It turns out allowing Trubisky to stand back there and just be horrendous was a key part of Green Bay’s game plan coming into Thursday night. The idea was to stuff the run, pinch the pocket, and force Trubisky to make throws, which the Packers felt confident would amount to very little by way of successful offense.

14 hours ago, Point Break said:

Agreed. Nagy took some heat for that as well. Maybe fair criticism given how clunky the Bear O looks. I mean two delay of game in one drive?!

1st and 40 ?.... is what I texted a longtime friend bears fan.  We've traded insults,jibes, digs with each other every GB Chicago game since before cell phones. 

His response was unexpectedly bitter. 

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

The only reason I will root for GB is they are the only team that is not owned by some old white racist billionaire (may Bob McNair RIP)

I don't think Arthur Blank meets your description.  Go Falcones!

28 minutes ago, warbird said:

1st and 40 ?.... is what I texted a longtime friend bears fan.  We've traded insults,jibes, digs with each other every GB Chicago game since before cell phones. 

His response was unexpectedly bitter. 

Some folks have difficulty separating being a team fan from life...........

On 8/31/2019 at 7:43 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Having spent two years not that long ago working with HFH in Detroit and contributing to the construction of over 20 homes, WTF is wrong with a HFH home?  They are purposely simple, low maintenance, no frill houses.  But they are sound and provide a very respectable roof over one's head.  They also demonstrate a family that is working.  The zero interest loan requires that the homeowner meets minimum income level but they must be working.  Most importantly to me, was that the HFH homeowner to be had to put hundreds of hours of sweat equity into theirs or another HFH home.  

I attended about 5 dedications during my time working with them.  This is when a new HFH homeowner takes possession, usually the first place they have owned.  No dry eyes when they speak from the heart what it means to them and their family.  

Please don't use HFH as a poster child for poverty, it's not, it's a symbol of hope.    

:)

10 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

Lions baby. I have been waiting 50 years. Oh wait, Ive been waiting fifty years.......

Do you think your 50th birthday will inspire them more than the legions that have reached that milestone ahead of you?

23 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

Do you think your 50th birthday will inspire them more than the legions that have reached that milestone ahead of you?

um, I remember Milt Plum if that tells you something. 55 years of watching.

haaaaa Antonio Brown waived from Raiders and Beledouche picks him up. 2 losers are made for each other

On 9/7/2019 at 1:18 AM, Monkey said:

So it’s only accurate for a few days...  I’m ok with that!  

9F62AFE2-99E7-481A-90DF-65FD0E93EF4C.jpeg

Still:ph34r:

4 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

um, I remember Milt Plum if that tells you something. 55 years of watching.

So do I.  Earl Morrall rings a few bells as well.  

In my lifetime, 4 SCs with the Wings, 3 Championships with the Pistons, and 2 World Series victories with the Tigers.  There must be a town that has done worse...and plenty that have done much better.  

3 hours ago, dacapo said:

haaaaa Antonio Brown waived from Raiders and Beledouche picks him up. 2 losers are made for each other

Uh, no. It just means Belichick’s deal with the devil is still valid. 

32 minutes ago, Raz'r said:
4 hours ago, dacapo said:

Uh, no. It just means Belichick’s deal with the devil is still valid.

Thisse wase theire plan alle aloungue.                        :)

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thisse wase theire plan alle aloungue.                        :)

Sure seems that way!

19 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Nowe AB wille playe withe anney hellmette BB wantesnto putte on hime.........               :) 

With some slight modifications this would work:

image.jpg

On 9/2/2019 at 9:18 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

5C190359-482E-43D2-B26E-E8333C0CC486.jpeg

I feel for you man.

Today's game has got to be a bit like watching "The Cove".

36 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I feel for you man.

Today's game has got to be a bit like watching "The Cove".

Patriots and Antonio Brown come to town next week. Clearly the Dolphins are the front runners for first pick. 

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Patriots and Antonio Brown come to town next week. Clearly the Dolphins are the front runners for first pick. 

I was going to argue with you for the Lions, but losing 59-10 at home to Baltimore, giving up 643 total yards while only gaining 20 on the ground.  You poor bastards. 

Lions are playing well in AZ (currently 17-3) so the Cardinals must suck, they have a rookie QB so will improve with time.  

11 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I was going to argue with you for the Lions, but losing 59-10 at home to Baltimore, giving up 643 total yards while only gaining 20 on the ground.  You poor bastards. 

Lions are playing well in AZ (currently 17-3) so the Cardinals must suck, they have a rookie QB so will improve with time.  

It’s going to be a great year. First team to have both kinds of perfect seasons. First pick in every round of the draft. Houston’s first and second round picks. So come on Houston, stink up the joint!