Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

I can’t decide if I’m more pro-Bear or anti-Packers.

Lions are not that bad but Aaron is pretty awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel old, but does anyone remember the SNL skit where they had a store where they made change?  How did they intend to make money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure hope that dropped TD pass and having to settle for a FG doesn’t come back to bite the Lions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

I can’t decide if I’m more pro-Bear or anti-Packers.

Its a struggle.........for me its both...............intensely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Point Break said:

Its a struggle.........for me its both...............intensely.

Try living in Wisconsin anti being anti-Packer.  It can be life threatening.

Lions are depressing.  No pressure on Rodgers, no defense to speak of.  12 men on the field gives the Packers a first down instead of having to settle for a 1st down. Of course it results in a TD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Wow.  What a Bullshit game. Refs handed it to Green Bay.

Yup but the Lions were complicit in their own demise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Yup but the Lions were complicit in their own demise.

Yeah, they certainly didn't do themselves any favors.  Their absolute refusal to bring pressure on Rodgers was ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

Yeah, they certainly didn't do themselves any favors.  Their absolute refusal to bring pressure on Rodgers was ridiculous.

No pressure, stupid penalties, gave up 170 rushing yards.  3 GB turnovers and GB still won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t usually blame refs. But that was terrible. Several bad calls to extend GB drives. Yeah the Lions need to score touchdowns and less field goals. Never the less the refs were bad and that was a big part of this loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rule covering hands to the face will now mean hands on the shoulder pads.

image.jpeg.091882c3454b82bba3cb8e53fd21b35b.jpeg

And no, that was not pass interference.  I was doing my nails and did not see the play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The refs also missed GB having 13 men on the field..... 13 !!!!!!    Wow.... just amazing.    Not sure how Goodell can expect anyone to trust this "product".   Morphing more into WWE every week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.a20e17ecd3506ac2aaa605e0af1be502.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Green Bay fan, even I’ll admit all those calls were just plain bizarre to watch. The only bad call they made that I thought was forgivable was the helmet to helmet call. In real time, that looked viscous. It wasn’t til the replay that you could really tell it was purely an accident. The rest was garbage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Monkey said:

As a Green Bay fan, even I’ll admit all those calls were just plain bizarre to watch. The only bad call they made that I thought was forgivable was the helmet to helmet call. In real time, that looked viscous. It wasn’t til the replay that you could really tell it was purely an accident. The rest was garbage. 

Yeah.  It did look nasty.  But seriously, a lot of the helmet to helmet penalties end up with me asking what the heck they expected the defensive player to do.  I mean they are supposed to run into the other guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty close to giving up on watching the NFL. I think I saw a blurb that in one game this past weekend there were 13 plays in a row with a penalty? Who the hell knows what a catch or interference is anymore. I have no idea how how defensive player can reasonably tackle a runner who comes straight on and puts his head down.... seems to me the helmet to helmet contact is caused by a last minute duck by the runner as often as the defensive players actions. Cant go low.....cant make any contact with the helmet....when the runner is running hard and low....what can the defensive player do except step aside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I'm pretty close to giving up on watching the NFL. I think I saw a blurb that in one game this past weekend there were 13 plays in a row with a penalty? Who the hell knows what a catch or interference is anymore. I have no idea how how defensive player can reasonably tackle a runner who comes straight on and puts his head down.... seems to me the helmet to helmet contact is caused by a last minute duck by the runner as often as the defensive players actions. Cant go low.....cant make any contact with the helmet....when the runner is running hard and low....what can the defensive player do except step aside?

Wait till CalOSHA becomes the governing body making it a SAFE WORK ENVIRONMENT 

NFL Studios shall be built without parking lots or seats

but in broadcast shall look like SuperHeros with pyrotechnics  Exploiding with Violence while players never get closer than 24" from eachother 

You will be able to pick the ending

No really just wait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monkey said:

As a Green Bay fan, even I’ll admit all those calls were just plain bizarre to watch. The only bad call they made that I thought was forgivable was the helmet to helmet call. In real time, that looked viscous. It wasn’t til the replay that you could really tell it was purely an accident. The rest was garbage. 

Hand to the face call looked bad..... later pics show the Lion was guilty. Why wasn't that exonerating angle shown?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IrieMon said:

The refs also missed GB having 13 men on the field..... 13 !!!!!!    Wow.... just amazing.    Not sure how Goodell can expect anyone to trust this "product".   Morphing more into WWE every week.

I thought I counted 13 then figured nope couldn’t be.  Must have been my Catholic school math skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Point Break said:

I'm pretty close to giving up on watching the NFL. I think I saw a blurb that in one game this past weekend there were 13 plays in a row with a penalty? Who the hell knows what a catch or interference is anymore. I have no idea how how defensive player can reasonably tackle a runner who comes straight on and puts his head down.... seems to me the helmet to helmet contact is caused by a last minute duck by the runner as often as the defensive players actions. Cant go low.....cant make any contact with the helmet....when the runner is running hard and low....what can the defensive player do except step aside?

Don’t know about 13, but in the Jets-Cowboys game there were penalties called on 6 consecutive plays.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:
6 hours ago, Point Break said:

I'm pretty close to giving up on watching the NFL. I think I saw a blurb that in one game this past weekend there were 13 plays in a row with a penalty? Who the hell knows what a catch or interference is anymore. I have no idea how how defensive player can reasonably tackle a runner who comes straight on and puts his head down.... seems to me the helmet to helmet contact is caused by a last minute duck by the runner as often as the defensive players actions. Cant go low.....cant make any contact with the helmet....when the runner is running hard and low....what can the defensive player do except step aside?

Don’t know about 13, but in the Jets-Cowboys game there were penalties called on 6 consecutive plays

Yeahe, I sawe that to.  Crazey dayes.                           :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

I thought I counted 13 then figured nope couldn’t be.  Must have been my Catholic school math skills.

Dointe evere disscountte thet, thoise nunnes coude scarre the crappe outta annyoune,   That feare made you smartere, survivalle at ist beste.                  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Dointe evere disscountte thet, thoise nunnes coude scarre the crappe outta annyoune,   That feare made you smartere, survivalle at ist beste.                  :)

Education through intimidation

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Education through intimidation

Yup.  Senssise hittened,                                                      :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

I thought I counted 13 then figured nope couldn’t be.  Must have been my Catholic school math skills.

If you just looked  at kicking plays, I think about 80 percent of them have penalties  called  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:
1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

I thought I counted 13 then figured nope couldn’t be.  Must have been my Catholic school math skills.

If you just looked  at kicking plays, I think about 80 percent of them have penalties  called  

Thack you fiorre you thouhtes.                                         :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yup.  Senssise hittened,                                                      :)

Hittened and bloody

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 2:12 PM, warbird said:

Hand to the face call looked bad..... later pics show the Lion was guilty. Why wasn't that exonerating angle shown?

Really? I saw both plays from all angles and never saw prolonged hand to the face. He brushed his face mask once but it wasn’t pushing against it. The GB player leaned his head back to make it look like he was being pushed but Flowers hand was on his shoulder pad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image result for images of NFL referees getting bribes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 2:12 PM, warbird said:

Hand to the face call looked bad..... later pics show the Lion was guilty. Why wasn't that exonerating angle shown?

You're blind.  You can brush the facemask.  That isn't hands to the face, nor a facemask.  I have a link to youtube but the forum keeps inserting a video which the NFL has disabled.  (Note, includes another bullshit incomplete pass call).  Also watch the insane holding going on by the Green Bay line.  It had been going on all night with no call.

// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J8jHKco9h8 //

It shouldn't have come down to these calls - that's the Lion's fault.  But the NFL is ridiculous with all the calls when there shouldn't be, and dozens of non-calls when the rules say they should be called.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you wonder if some of this is our fault.  With super- slo-mo, cameras at every angle including the pylon at the end zone, endless replays, a team of guys in the booth and trucks, we, the fans, have views the refs don't have.  Over the past several years, we've been outraged when the refs don't call what's obvious to us who are relying on technology rather than the naked eye looking at a play in real time.  Likewise our chagrin when they make a call that's erroneous.  Now, the NFL has responded by calling everything-however minute- and stopping the game to review, converse, wait for New York's decision, and so on.  I wonder if it was better  (I'm being the old, back in my day, person now) when the refs added a fallible human element that gave us something to rant about at the water cooler (again, showing my age) on Monday morning.  At least the games didn't push toward four hours long.

A side note: my Aussie son in law and friends give me a hard time about NFL games lasting so long.  This from people who watch a cricket match, which is like baseball on sedatives, that lasts three days.  The same match.  The players are so bored they have afternoon tea breaks.  Imagine an interior lineman sitting in the locker room asking his teammates if he'd like them to pour.  One lump or two?  Milk?  Watercress or cucumber sandwich, anyone?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

Do you wonder if some of this is our fault.  With super- slo-mo, cameras at every angle including the pylon at the end zone, endless replays, a team of guys in the booth and trucks, we, the fans, have views the refs don't have.  Over the past several years, we've been outraged when the refs don't call what's obvious to us who are relying on technology rather than the naked eye looking at a play in real time.  Likewise our chagrin when they make a call that's erroneous.  Now, the NFL has responded by calling everything-however minute- and stopping the game to review, converse, wait for New York's decision, and so on.  I wonder if it was better  (I'm being the old, back in my day, person now) when the refs added a fallible human element that gave us something to rant about at the water cooler (again, showing my age) on Monday morning.  At least the games didn't push toward four hours long.

A side note: my Aussie son in law and friends give me a hard time about NFL games lasting so long.  This from people who watch a cricket match, which is like baseball on sedatives, that lasts three days.  The same match.  The players are so bored they have afternoon tea breaks.  Imagine an interior lineman sitting in the locker room asking his teammates if he'd like them to pour.  One lump or two?  Milk?  Watercress or cucumber sandwich, anyone?

No.  It's a result of the rulemakers.

I'm part of a very competitive design competition that changes each year.  As such, the rules change each year as well.  And since it's a design competition, the designers look for every way to push every rule to it's absolute limit.  This has taught both the rulemakers and the rule-followers the importance of having simple, ironclad rules that don't rely on subjective evidence.

The NFL continues to make more and more complicated rules, when they should be stepping back and removing rules.  Seriously.  Get rid of the holding penalty.  It happens on every down.  If that means defenses have trouble rushing the QB, then add another player to the defensive side of the ball and be done with it.

Make pass interference simple.  If you TOUCH the defensive player, it's pass interference.  Then downgrade the penalty to 5 yards and a first down.

Completing a catch.  Get rid of replay.  The ref makes the call.  None of this 'three steps' crap.  Or a 'football move'.  You will NEVER be able to sufficiently define what a catch is exactly, and every time you add another "gotcha", it just makes people that more unhappy.  One foot inbounds?  It's a catch.  One foot down?  it's a catch.  Jumped and made the catch before touching down out of bounds?  It's a catch.  Looks like he made a catch and then fumbled?  it's a fumble.

Forward fumble?  Fine.  Advance the ball.  If the offense has big enough balls to intentionally attempt to fumble the ball forwards and manages to recover it themselves, awesome.

I could keep going all day.  The more rules you make the worse the game will be.  We can argue about how to phrase the few rules that should remain, but so many should just be thrown out.

Kicks - if the receiver doesn't touch it, it's down where it hit the ground.  If it goes out of bounds before hitting the ground, it goes to the 25.  Why is there a penalty for kicking a ball out of bounds, but not one for kicking it out the back of the end zone?  It makes no sense at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree.  But the changing rules are meant to more clearly define actions that we're able to see that the refs, without technology, cannot always perceive.  I believe a lot of this has to do with our complaints about accuracy given that the TV and Jumbotron viewer is able to discern actions from multiple angles at speeds different from real time.  Then the fans ask why the refs don't use the same technology we're using.  Now, they are-although they sometimes still get it wrong- because they're confused by the labyrinthian rule structure designed to provide the clarity we've demanded. Fans were rightly outraged by the non-call in last year's Saints playoff game.  The NFL responded with more layers of definition and adjustments to the rule, as well as new rules (e.g. a  PI non-call is reviewable by challenge). These changes came about because of consumer demand. We got what we asked for.  And a lot of it sucks.  But I still watch as much as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

No.  It's a result of the rulemakers.

I'm part of a very competitive design competition that changes each year.  As such, the rules change each year as well.  And since it's a design competition, the designers look for every way to push every rule to it's absolute limit.  This has taught both the rulemakers and the rule-followers the importance of having simple, ironclad rules that don't rely on subjective evidence.

The NFL continues to make more and more complicated rules, when they should be stepping back and removing rules.  Seriously.  Get rid of the holding penalty.  It happens on every down.  If that means defenses have trouble rushing the QB, then add another player to the defensive side of the ball and be done with it.

Make pass interference simple.  If you TOUCH the defensive player, it's pass interference.  Then downgrade the penalty to 5 yards and a first down.

Completing a catch.  Get rid of replay.  The ref makes the call.  None of this 'three steps' crap.  Or a 'football move'.  You will NEVER be able to sufficiently define what a catch is exactly, and every time you add another "gotcha", it just makes people that more unhappy.  One foot inbounds?  It's a catch.  One foot down?  it's a catch.  Jumped and made the catch before touching down out of bounds?  It's a catch.  Looks like he made a catch and then fumbled?  it's a fumble.

Forward fumble?  Fine.  Advance the ball.  If the offense has big enough balls to intentionally attempt to fumble the ball forwards and manages to recover it themselves, awesome.

I could keep going all day.  The more rules you make the worse the game will be.  We can argue about how to phrase the few rules that should remain, but so many should just be thrown out.

Kicks - if the receiver doesn't touch it, it's down where it hit the ground.  If it goes out of bounds before hitting the ground, it goes to the 25.  Why is there a penalty for kicking a ball out of bounds, but not one for kicking it out the back of the end zone?  It makes no sense at all.

14' by 6' by 25'

Race starts at 1.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

I totally agree.  But the changing rules are meant to more clearly define actions that we're able to see that the refs, without technology, cannot always perceive.  I believe a lot of this has to do with our complaints about accuracy given that the TV and Jumbotron viewer is able to discern actions from multiple angles at speeds different from real time.  Then the fans ask why the refs don't use the same technology we're using.  Now, they are-although they sometimes still get it wrong- because they're confused by the labyrinthian rule structure designed to provide the clarity we've demanded. Fans were rightly outraged by the non-call in last year's Saints playoff game.  The NFL responded with more layers of definition and adjustments to the rule, as well as new rules (e.g. a  PI non-call is reviewable by challenge). These changes came about because of consumer demand. We got what we asked for.  And a lot of it sucks.  But I still watch as much as possible.

I know what you mean, but it's in the rulemaker's own best interest to not give the fans what they want, but what they need.  What they need is a simple game called by humans and the human call is it.  Period.

Baseball is going to start trying to use automated balls and strikes.  Have you seen some of the results of that in tennis?  It got nasty at one event where the Eagle Eye was miscalibrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I know what you mean, but it's in the rulemaker's own best interest to not give the fans what they want, but what they need.  What they need is a simple game called by humans and the human call is it.  Period.

Baseball is going to start trying to use automated balls and strikes.  Have you seen some of the results of that in tennis?  It got nasty at one event where the Eagle Eye was miscalibrated.

I agree, I'd like to see it go back to a purely human called game. That was sorta part of the game. Now its analysis paralysis and obsessing over millimeters and nano seconds. I don't think it's added to the game. I suppose when that much money is in play..........its no longer a game...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am concerned that's where the NFL is going.  I guess my only point is that taking the human element out of the game also takes some of the entertainment away as well.  it's hard to boo a computer because the computer doesn't care.  Except HAL.  HAL cares.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hawaiidart said:

I am concerned that's where the NFL is going.  I guess my only point is that taking the human element out of the game also takes some of the entertainment away as well.  it's hard to boo a computer because the computer doesn't care.  Except HAL.  HAL cares.  

"I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you."

Thanks HAL........:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this