Sign in to follow this  
vikram

B&G nac3 autopilot tuning

Anybody wanna share some base settings for a 30 to 33 foot racer cruiser? What changes do you make as wind conditions increase and you begin to sail reaching and deeper course to Spinnaker runs. The manual provides very little guidance on the two variables which are available. I'd like to get what I can out of the pilot when single-handed.

I find that the autotune does a pretty good job to get you a solid base line.  From there you want to adjust your damping so to your preference... ie so the wheel moves not too much and not too little.  I know that sounds vague, but basically you can have it set to be super sensitive and the wheel will just jump around all the time, and your course will be fine in the aggregate, but you will eat your battery, put strain on your steering system and be really annoyed by it.  On the other end you can dampen it a lot and the response will be too slow, so you'll have more course wandering than you will want.  you'll notice this the most when you're reaching in waves.  

I was also thinkin about how to fine tune the new NAC3 AP. But now I have sailed 1.500M with the pre-set settings on my X-382 and how not seen any reason to adjust. I have a fixed AP-controller behind the steering wheel and a AP-remote which I use most of the times and it is very seldom I have to adjust anything after changes of sails...