Sign in to follow this  
Black Jack

What about the Farr 230 (Bavaria One B)

I am considering buying the Farr 230 for local double handing racing. I like the light car towing, the small snug weekend camping/campaigning, decent turn of speed. At a used boat price, I can find one that works for next summer adventures and the ease of transport to race anywhere in North America on a working mans budget. Will be a nice cheap boat to complement our 1D35.

B94C1D3E-162C-4905-A096-94C1C97AE6E4.png

My sailing club has one that is raced by a group of youth members.

Yes they are cheap but also cheaply made...  you can see and feel it right away!

I would rather look  at a J80! Better Quality, rather active class and a lot faster especially in the light. The B one is a sitting duck in the light and can't sail to her local rating here.

Plus the B/one has no traveler & backstay which could be handy to de-power short handed!

2nd German Sailing League used them for the 2014 and 2015 season. Must have been the worst boat I have ever raced on.

Too heavy for light wind, completely overpowered in above 15kts due to the lack of traveller or backstay. As soon as you drop the main, the forestay goes soft and the upwind angle suffers significantly. The winning strategy was to pull in main and vang as hard as the cheap hardware would allow and hike like crazy.

After the 2014 season it became clear that those boats were not built for serious racing. The rudder stock as well as the keel had frightening amounts of play, hardware was just ripping off, jib furlers didn't even made it through one day of racing and Bavaria was not able to supply enough spare masts.

So for 2015 Bavaria sacrificed the idea of a one design class and came up with some improved hardware. Also the mainsail had to be reefed in certain conditions. Still sailing was terrible and by 2016 2nd League switched to J/70, too.

I still remember the day when the picture below was taken. They had an entire spare boat to repair the most damaged one while the other six were racing. And still we couldn't finish nearly as much races as the J/70 in 1st League because there wasn't one race where all boats survived.

Some old replay: 

11542033_470369353137667_887881237371633

12110034_522204947954107_671510311630573

1 hour ago, 14berlin said:

2nd German Sailing League used them for the 2014 and 2015 season. Must have been the worst boat I have ever raced on.

Too heavy for light wind, completely overpowered in above 15kts due to the lack of traveller or backstay. As soon as you drop the main, the forestay goes soft and the upwind angle suffers significantly. The winning strategy was to pull in main and vang as hard as the cheap hardware would allow and hike like crazy.

After the 2014 season it became clear that those boats were not built for serious racing. The rudder stock as well as the keel had frightening amounts of play, hardware was just ripping off, jib furlers didn't even made it through one day of racing and Bavaria was not able to supply enough spare masts.

So for 2015 Bavaria sacrificed the idea of a one design class and came up with some improved hardware. Also the mainsail had to be reefed in certain conditions. Still sailing was terrible and by 2016 2nd League switched to J/70, too.

I still remember the day when the picture below was taken. They had an entire spare boat to repair the most damaged one while the other six were racing. And still we couldn't finish nearly as much races as the J/70 in 1st League because there wasn't one race where all boats survived.

Some old replay: 

11542033_470369353137667_887881237371633

12110034_522204947954107_671510311630573

I guess not. It had the size potential and could be towed. Cancelled reservations. Thanks!

Epilogue - no wonder the used j80 was 10k more.

l’ll stick with my Mull for a while longer.

96F61125-2ACC-4764-A994-EC0E1B71D97D.jpeg

It's too bad they were so badly built.  It's a great looking little boat.

• Like 1

The quality is better than that of the Fareast 28, e.g. but the boat needs a new rudder, than it is easy and fun to handle. A traveller is easy to realize. yes, part of the hardware needs updating. The keelfin is aluminium the bulb steel, so don't keep it in the water.

DSC_0091_(1600_x_1200).jpg