james3232

New Hugo Boss Spotted

You can hardly keep breaking ground at the pace of the last one or you would just end up with dust... I just miss the hex paint job. Keel and rudders look fast. (Orange...)

50 minutes ago, james3232 said:

Not as groundbreaking, or as sexy, as the last one, IMO

67806797_2273775149355068_2472882722670903296_n.jpg

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineindustrynews.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F07%2Fyysw207478.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineindustrynews.co.uk%2Fthe-imocas-around-the-world-with-a-crew-in-2021%2F&tbnid=FNlrJ15AwFTg6M&vet=1&docid=l2Wyw45Et9wdPM&w=800&h=534&itg=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Is it less ground breaking?

Gone a step further in the sheer line reversing, dropped mast step, gone back to a more rounded hull shape... To my eye it looks like a real step away from the comanche style hard chine and flat bottom.

So either faster light air hull mode or max foiling mode. Are we going to see a rediculous set of foils coming?

That chine forward hardly qualifies as a sheerline when taken to that extreme. Where do you see a 'dropped mast step'? Hard chine aft at transom does indeed look to have gone away. Went to your link but didn't see anything of the new boat.

11 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

That chine forward hardly qualifies as a sheerline when taken to that extreme. Where do you see a 'dropped mast step'? Hard chine aft at transom does indeed look to have gone away. Went to your link but didn't see anything of the new boat.

Link for comparison of hull underside, really just the whole deck to underside height looks lower than the old boat.

Looks like RAN the fast 40. Also looks similar to Charal at the stern and bottom. 

Want to see more photos before but with this photo I still prefer the old one...

Looks like Ran, I heard they were doing something extreme with the cockpit. Any pics of that yet?

6 hours ago, darth reapius said:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineindustrynews.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F07%2Fyysw207478.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineindustrynews.co.uk%2Fthe-imocas-around-the-world-with-a-crew-in-2021%2F&tbnid=FNlrJ15AwFTg6M&vet=1&docid=l2Wyw45Et9wdPM&w=800&h=534&itg=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Is it less ground breaking?

Gone a step further in the sheer line reversing, dropped mast step, gone back to a more rounded hull shape... To my eye it looks like a real step away from the comanche style hard chine and flat bottom.

So either faster light air hull mode or max foiling mode. Are we going to see a rediculous set of foils coming?

Darth,

The new boat May look plan compared to the old boat and the under water sections could be a total different thinking coming into play.

When you start to think about it the place were these foiling boats suffer is in the light non foiling conditions when they are still in displacement mode. Once the boat starts to foil the hull is leaving the water so the shape isn’t as critical so the light weather performance could be a major advantage. 

It will be interesting to see what other new Open 60’s are doing as well. 

Pulpit

This is pretty impressive based on one picture, are there more hiding somewhere else? 

To my eye, there’s quite a few tweaks going on and we haven’t seen the foils, rig or deck plan yet. 

like looks like an evolution of it's predecessor, a reaching monster. are the foil exits on the hull unusually low?

2 minutes ago, BLAK said:

Vertical foil slot?

Inkedhb_LI.jpg

why would they be vertical?

5 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

why would they be vertical?

perhaps for a bit of canting while keeping the foil retractable?

• Like 1

It look like that may be a reflection of the scaffolding, The slot seems to forward and down very low.

1 hour ago, 3to1 said:

like looks like an evolution of it's predecessor, a reaching monster. are the foil exits on the hull unusually low?

I am trying to see the foil slots...  I am thinking it is in front of the gap in the rear hull support

Judging by the height of the lifelines, she's got minimal  freeboard for a 60'er (hardly surprising).

11 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Judging by the height of the lifelines, she's got minimal  freeboard for a 60'er (hardly surprising).

Are the "lifelines" extended, looks to be tall silver ones with shorter black ones down lower

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

Are the foils pink, or is the exposure making the orange look pink?

Pink is the new orange.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rushman said:

Are the "lifelines" extended, looks to be tall silver ones with shorter black ones down lower

Health and safety for those on deck finishing things at yard. Normal practice is to meet scaffolding requirements, not sailing requirements. So they are much taller than normal lifelines 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Health and safety for those on deck finishing things at yard. Normal practice is to meet scaffolding requirements, not sailing requirements. So they are much taller than normal lifelines 

Thanks for confirming what I had guessed

4 hours ago, BLAK said:

Vertical foil slot?

Inkedhb_LI.jpg

I think you are seeing the D0 terminations for the deck spreader cables. The slots for the foils are further forwards and appear to have cassettes on deck where they exit there just visible.

1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

I think you are seeing the D0 terminations for the deck spreader cables. The slots for the foils are further forwards and appear to have cassettes on deck where they exit there just visible.

Ah, that makes sense.

Video on face book of it coming out of the shed

https://www.facebook.com/AlexThomsonRacing/videos/336274187253202/

Would hate to suffer from sea sickness... Hahahaha

To save weight lets just get rid of everything, store Alex in a tube inside the boat while AI sails it round the world?

Screenshot_2019-08-04-16-14-55.png

Screenshot_2019-08-04-16-25-37.png

• Like 1

Yes, really low "cockpit roof" ! 

And also holding the mainsai rail (mainsail track ? not sure of English for it)

And a very serious solar array.

Show us the foils now!

They don’t need the bigger coachroof as the cockpit is now internal volume for stability calcs. Hull looks clean but not as extreme as expected.

hb2.png

wonder where the winches and pedestals are though, next ro that opening, or even more inside ? 

Very innovative

Yl75,

i suspect they are inside on the floor. All that will exit the roof will be ropes. Will be interesting to see the interior. Remember that the cockpit and interior are now one.

Damn, from normal deckhouse, to 2 deckhouses, to non et all :)

8 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Yl75,

i suspect they are inside on the floor. All that will exit the roof will be ropes. Will be interesting to see the interior. Remember that the cockpit and interior are now one.

Yes I think so as well, time for a full boat tour now, come on Alex !

I frankly admit that I have no idea what I am looking at.

But looks like a great job by Alex and Jason, and their respective teams!

Pretty long build time though, they started over a year age.

• Like 1

A bit of a different perspective of the deck profile from his Youtube page.

Looks like the mast has been stepped, spreaders look quite beefy.

hb.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder who built the solar array, Gocherman ? (they did the Moonwave gunboat one), looks very well integrated.

32 minutes ago, bosshawg said:

A bit of a different perspective of the deck profile from his Youtube page.

Looks like the mast has been stepped, spreaders look quite beefy.

hb.jpg

A bit bigger pic (from twitter profile page ) :

1500x500

This one shows the foil opening it seems, looks like they will have a quite short chord if the case.

2 hours ago, bosshawg said:

Nearly completly flush deck.

Cockpit is entirely enclosed?

No canting keel?

13 minutes ago, james3232 said:

????

Some kind of flexible sealing material I guess

Photo on Facebook. Not the standard bulge etc is visible

This time he really won't see the land coming....

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, NZK said:

Windows in the front, and probably a bit of a raised front in the interior for the "inside cockpit", looks great and probably a great idea

Just now, yl75 said:

Windows in the front, and probably a bit of a raised front in the interior for the "inside cockpit", looks great and probably a great idea

except for your back bending over endlessly. i wonder how this will go in practice.

20 minutes ago, NZK said:

Looks seriously restricted for looking at sail trim as well at the moment. 

I meant raised floor (or flattened), but he may well have the headroom inside

maybe maybe. i agree with Mad above as well.  this is a polar opposite approach to cockpit design to Arkea Paprec. 

12 minutes ago, mad said:

Looks seriously restricted for looking at sail trim as well at the moment. 

Maybe hee will use these electronic telltales from mer agitée ? 

https://www.meragitee.com/trimcontrol?lang=en

By the way, wonder what happens to them when you furl the sail.. 

3 minutes ago, Lat 18 said:

wonder if he's planning on a drooping boom low on deck for end plate effect like Sobedo.

He could possibly add a decksweeper (like on A Class foilers and some of the 32/23 class) under the boom. Lowering the boom with a standardized mast would not likely work as its not designed for it.  Not sure if a decksweeper would count as another sail against the quota either.  Limiting factor here will be the mast anyway.

woooow,        It was worth the wait.....what cant we see ?........

view ,maybe cameras and screens with head up display;   sitting, soften the shock loads in a hydraulic suspended recaro seat with gimbals  and folding out leg and reclining head rest ...to stop the driver from losing heat in the cold, with fully heated seat surfaces,...nighttime infrared driving lights work because of the cameras.... show the sets of waves coming through....All about conserving energy to stop from oversleeping...   the rudder rear deck ,so after the fuses activate you can assess the rudder then reinstall back into the water.....what else is possible...but you can be sure the noise and shock loads will be energy draining.....Sam Davies was saying soon as slightly rough she cant even boil a kettle, but have been hearing of ern style kettle [pressure vented] fully enclosed with a hose with grip beer tap that locks into thermos lid with package foodstuffs already added . ...that stays warm for 6 hours.    Who knows what will come from the aeronautical , car and truck and the shipping sectors, to help the sailors navigate these machine's as these thing skip and trip across the waves........this is Paris Dakar stuff but 24/7

how bloody amazing is this going to get

• Like 1

By the way where is the tiller/wheel ? inside as well ? None at all (except emergency), and just AP all the time ?

(I'm doubtful steering from inside almost not seeing anything would provide real gains over the AP)

But Alex is clearly the best positioned/most VG experienced today to know what is useful

13 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

does it come with one of these?

UnsungHelplessAsianporcupine-small.gif

Rumor on the street is that he has upgraded this :

Inline_1303802_4.31.jpg

To this  :

s-l640.jpg

;)

• Like 2

I suspected we’d see fully enclosed cockpits but not like this. Seems the focus for this generation of IMOCA is low cg and massive foils to make the one’s on the AC75 look tiny. AFAIK there’s no rule limiting the size of the foils. All it’s missing is heat seeking missiles or a terminator robot. 

Have to be a glutton for punishment to be cooped up inside a boat like that when going south and north the Atlantic - imagine the heat near the equator and the dripping humidity after two weeks in the southern ocean. 

Tip of the hat to ATR - definitely committed and all the way. As for folks taking a piss on AT grounding - he made a mistake, he acknowledged it honesty and made no excuses and accepted the penalty with grace. 

If we could all fail in such a manner.

Edit: looking at what's visible. The foils might be steel/titanium core encased with composite structure.  The exit points in the hull are extremely small. 

• Like 7

Loving the look of this boat and can’t wait to see it sailing. Well done to VPLP and Hugo Boss team  

Where are the winches? Isn’t there a rule that states winches have to be operated on deck?

1 hour ago, Lat 18 said:

wonder if he's planning on a drooping boom low on deck for end plate effect like Sobedo.

Well it would make sense as half the requirements are in place. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eastcoastlow said:

Loving the look of this boat and can’t wait to see it sailing. Well done to VPLP and Hugo Boss team  

Where are the winches? Isn’t there a rule that states winches have to be operated on deck?

Here’s my 50 pence. It’s on the deck. But since everything is enclosed we can’t see it. 

Looks like visibility ports/hatch/camera dome just forward of outriggers. 

6 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Would hate to suffer from sea sickness... Hahahaha

To save weight lets just get rid of everything, store Alex in a tube inside the boat while AI sails it round the world?

Screenshot_2019-08-04-16-25-37.png

I wonder if we see Alex grinding like bicyclists on the AC NZ catamaran. These two hatches in the middle look well suited for that. These look like they are meant to be opened over a long period. Otherwise these would be constructed flat on deck like sail locker hatch. And what is under these boxes? Are they covering slots for foils?

31 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Here’s my 50 pence. It’s on the deck. But since everything is enclosed we can’t see it. 

From this pic there appears to be a "door" at cutout. Must be another in there somewhere for the cockpit to still be counted at being part of the deck and the winches being on deck

pont.jpg

59 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

AFAIK there’s no rule limiting the size of the foils.

I have actually been thinking about this. Would it be feasible to have a Y shape foil to have as much separation between both branch as to make the boat fully foiling. That wouldn't be as stable as foils on the rudder but could be better than the flying/splashing shown by Charal. Surely that could provide some sustainable (unstable flight). Not sure there is material strong enough for that though and the cord length of the openings on HB don't look very big.

I also vote for low boom and possibly a cycling station under deck for grinding with all ropes centralized under deck.

56 minutes ago, eastcoastlow said:

No, the rule is that they have to be human energy operated, but nothing states they have to be on deck (in fact the section ruling sails trimming does not even mentions winches)

I would like to see where is the rudder/wheel ! I bet he doesn't plan to use it much at all

• Like 1

Nice boat for theVG. Does not look too friendly for TOR though or the PR tours tha Alex normally does.

I’ve heard they’re putting as much as possible inside the boat, basically no cockpit, trying to lower COE. Interested to see what they ended up doing. 

Not sure about winch rule, I imagine it would be difficult to define what the cockpit is on this boat. 

1 hour ago, eastcoastlow said:

Why compromise the boat for the TOR?  Same with Charal. Actually its mostly very similar to Charal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yl75 said:

No, the rule is that they have to be human energy operated, but nothing states they have to be on deck (in fact the section ruling sails trimming does not even mentions winches)

Yup.

42 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

I have actually been thinking about this. Would it be feasible to have a Y shape foil to have as much separation between both branch as to make the boat fully foiling. That wouldn't be as stable as foils on the rudder but could be better than the flying/splashing shown by Charal. Surely that could provide some sustainable (unstable flight). Not sure there is material strong enough for that though and the cord length of the openings on HB don't look very big.

I also vote for low boom and possibly a cycling station under deck for grinding with all ropes centralized under deck.

Im not sure thats allowed but it might be considering jeremie beyou’s foils had winglets last VG. 

4 hours ago, Chimp too said:

What makes you think no canting keel?

Hull to keel assembly does not look like it has rotation.

Screenshot_20190804-173853_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

It looks like there’s a bulge behind the keel that’s part of its canting system. Maybe Alex saw the infomercials and bought a can of Flexseal!

20 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Appears the entire red (pink?) section might be part of the canting structure. Looks like a seam at the aft end

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

Appears the entire red (pink?) section might be part of the canting structure. Looks like a seam at the aft end

I guess there could be a rubber gator around the keel root. If so it has been very neatly fitted and faired

• Like 1

My first thought was that cockpit will be freaking hot at the equator. Then I figured he should be able to run a few fans with that amount of solar panels. Now I’m wondering if all those solar panels will be used for some sort of climate control inside the cabin.

They have just accepted that these damn things are so wet, just turn it into a semi-submersible!  I'm guessing he puts up the snorkel when he gets into the Southern Ocean......Alternatively, this is essentially a Reaper drone boat, with Alex controlling things from his Lazy Boy at home......

47 minutes ago, A.M.S. said:

They have just accepted that these damn things are so wet, just turn it into a semi-submersible!  I'm guessing he puts up the snorkel when he gets into the Southern Ocean......Alternatively, this is essentially a Reaper drone boat, with Alex controlling things from his Lazy Boy at home......

Except for the extremely demanding sail changes.

1 hour ago, r.finn said:

Electric furlers all around.........roll it out, roll it in.....

2 hours ago, r.finn said:

The fore deck seems extremely flat and without the traditional cockpit to deck transition it looks it could be a good layout. 

7 hours ago, Miffy said:

Have to be a glutton for punishment to be cooped up inside a boat like that when going south and north the Atlantic - imagine the heat near the equator and the dripping humidity after two weeks in the southern ocean

And add heat from a deck that is nearly 100% solar array...good way to loose weight in that sauna.

• Like 1

Hucking sails In/out that small center companionway will be a lot of work, but presumably not done that often. Other deck hatches only good in very light wind/seas. This thing is built to take waves over the bow and keep going... 

Modern Video is good enough to allow an enclosed cockpit with winch pedestals and view screens, whether arm or leg powered

Enough solar area to run all the electronics plus some creature comforts, why not a DC kettle to heat food and forced ventilation. 

The next few weeks are going to be great entertainment as all the latest boats start to ramp up and the pictures come out.  

Its making anything Volvo, TOR look really pedestrian and dull. Also showing how a crossover boat is getting ever further away. 

• Like 1

It's a risky proposition if sailing the boat, motoring, eating food is all dependent on electric generation. 

If it all works it'll be brilliant. If you run into electrical Gremlins and failure it'll quickly escalate. 

Here's a potential mode of failure. Say Alex is hauling out a roller furling sail to go to the foredeck - hits a wave and swings the rope a little and a shackle at the end of a stiff anti-twist rope hits the deck. It happens all the time. Only. It is on a solar panel. Not knowing how the diodes are setup, assuming the there's damage to one cell, if can quickly take out a few hundred watts. In the southern ocean, plus shading, it can quickly start hurting his energy budget. 

Or a bad battery. A short from condensation. Etc. 

You don't want to be in a situation where if you're having a bad day you're not only unable to trim your sails because the camera got wacked, yore running on a lower energy state and have to ration your water, worry about electric motor range if you need to bail, while also running AP on reduced sensitivity. 

Honestly ATR has done such an amazing job pushing the limits, I'm almost hoping they kept an air cooled diesel generator to warm the cabin in the southern ocean and keep his batteries charged. It'll be a shame to lose a VG because the no fossil fuel message forces you to abandon. 

• Like 1

Is it me, or are the terminals for the deck spreaders right in line with wetted surface drag if the boats not on foils? 

1 hour ago, A.M.S. said:

Electric furlers all around.........roll it out, roll it in.....

What?

15 hours ago, Chimp too said:

The foil exits on deck look a long way outboard 

Depends if they cross below deck... in either case I doubt it'll be a conventional (for want of a better term) foil arrangement.