Varan

Transat Jacque Vabre 2019

October 27 is just around the corner and the new breed of IMOCA are being revealed. Looking forward to this one. Let the countdown begin.

• Like 2

Juan K. had a good showing at Fastnet. Looking forward to see how Corum L’Epargne, Arkea Paprec and PRB stack up against the latest VPLP designs. 

In Class 40, agree Lipinski is one to watch.

2 hours ago, r.finn said:

Class 40: Credit Mutuel

Multi 50: Solidaires en Peloton

IMOCA: Charal

Charal in Imoca. 

Don't have time to follow the other classes. 

Be real interesting to see how Alex & Neal go with the Bat Boat.

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/transat-jacques-vabre-imoca-multi50-class40-presentation.html#.XYIgui_YphE

Summary below

The Transat Jacques Vabre 60 crews departing on Oct. 27th.

10 different nationalities. 27 Class 40, 3 Multi 50 and 30 Imoca take off from Le Havre heading for Salvador de Bahia in Brazil.

The French do the pre-race village part so well.  The race village opens Friday, October 18 at 14h.

Jérémie Beyou, Charal (IMOCA)
"I only have good memories of the Transat Jacques Vabre. I am so proud to have won it in 2011 with Jean-Pierre Dick! I find that this race is renewed each edition while keeping its fundamentals: a course that looks like a start of the world tour with its difficulties, a beautiful competition on the water, new boats. "

Maxime Sorel, V and B Mayenne (IMOCA)
"The Transat Jacques Vabre is two things: the pre-start in Le Havre where the atmosphere is always super nice, and the race itself, so intense! This edition promises great fights at all levels. I can not wait to measure myself against boyfriends, it's new to me to be in IMOCA and I will probably learn a max.

Basile Bourgnon, Edenred (Class40)
"It's been a while since I dreamed of the Transat Jacques Vabre! My father (Laurent Bourgnon) had won it with my uncle (Yvan Bourgnon) in 1997, and it makes me very funny to be at the start. It is a great chance that Manu (Emmanuel Le Roch) proposed to me to embark. I am very excited to be sailing from Le Havre alongside the best skippers. "

Source: S Guého

Wow, IMOCAs surpass Class 40s in numbers. This will interesting.

Edit: Wish there where more Class 40s. Hope we get to JK designs up against VPLP and spatulate bow designs. Been out of touch and need to look at the entries. 

10 hours ago, Varan said:

Wow, IMOCAs surpass Class 40s in numbers. This will interesting.

Edit: Wish there where more Class 40s. Hope we get to JK designs up against VPLP and spatulate bow designs. Been out of touch and need to look at the entries. 

The participation challenge with Class 40 often seems to be that owners are not full time pros and a long race like this is an issue if you work for a living.  There are some new designs in the race.

The IMOCA fleet is basically a the full VG and given that 2 new boats are not yet launched and others who completed the last race may still enter some are likely to miss out.  The mile points will be vital for some.

Talk about bad luck. Kito's boat Made in Midi suffered a mast breakage while doing its 90 degree test today. More images on the link. They are looking for solutions to still make the race. 

Class 40 is suffering some talent loss as a few successful guys are transitioning to imoca and the production class 40s are extremely uncompetitive, either build a new custom at high expense or buy some of the newer available Lombard and Manuard designs. 

In re Kito - glass half full. Better a weak mast fail at the dock on a static pull down test than in the Biscay. 

While I agree about better now than later I do feel sorry for him. He often has issues. How many VG has he started and failed to finish. I hope he pulls it back together in time. 

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

Class 40 is suffering some talent loss as a few successful guys are transitioning to imoca and the production class 40s are extremely uncompetitive, either build a new custom at high expense or buy some of the newer available Lombard and Manuard designs. 

In re Kito - glass half full. Better a weak mast fail at the dock on a static pull down test than in the Biscay. 

On that note the next iteration of the Mach 40 (version 4, Manuard) will be launched tomorrow in La Trinite. Another pseudo scow

• Like 1

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/class40-banque-du-leman-manuard-mise-eau-trinite-sur-mer-koster-gautier-neuf-nouveau.html#.XY4ARZDYphE

New Class 40 launched for TJV.  Banque du Léman.  Manuard. Scow as is allowed.  Should be interesting

Google translation

The new Class40 Banque du Léman, Manuard plan, Valentin Gautier and Simon Koster launched
Yesterday, September 26 th, was held in Trinité sur Mer the launch of the brand new Class40 Banque du Léman by Valentin Gautier and Simon Koster. A boat that touched the water, a month before the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre. A powerful boat with a rather special hull: "  We should be favored on reaching edges compared to other competitors and this Class40 should have less tendency to bake,  " says Simon Koster.

EOSR2159.jpg

Credit: Th Deregnieaux

No pressure on Jacques Vabre
One of the great expectations of this boat is to be able to keep high speed averages long enough.

The objective of this Transat Jacques Vabre 2019 for this Swiss duo is to finish the race. " We do not want to put pressure, there are crews who are super well prepared and who know their boat by heart. It's hard to arrive with a new boat that is launched one month before the start of the race and to have a performance goal. "Summarizes Valentin. This project of the Roesti Sailing Team is registered on the long term. It will be on the Transat Jacques Vabre 2021 that the two skippers will be able to play the win.

Navigations this weekend
The continuation of the program? The boat must start by passing the gauge. The first navigation should take place this weekend to verify that everything works well and to make the first adjustments as soon as possible. Then, the crew will have to start on a 1000-mile course in order to qualify for the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre. Timing still tight but does not frighten the two Swiss!

Source: D Jeanne Beylot

• Like 3

Following the ex-mini teams of Lipinski and Gautier / Koster with much interest, love their new Class 40s even if I think Scows look fugly they darn well sail well!

Also AT of course but this is only a warm up for him!

On 9/25/2019 at 12:15 AM, Miffy said:

More is always better however if you look at the numbers then you'll see that in 2017 only 15 Class40s turned up. 12 finished... The 2019 fleet contains 27 teams? 

You also mention that Class40 is suffering talent loss? For sure several have moved to the IMOCA. Most notably Maxime Sorel, Miranda Merron and Manuel Cousin. That said look at the guys now racing in the TJV. A few are named below: 

1. Kito
  2. Sam Goodchild
  3. Fabien Delahayne 
  4. Luke Berry 
  5. Pietro Luciani 
  6. Louis Duc 
  7. Bertrand de Broc 
  8. Ian Lipinski 
  9. Adrian Hardy
  10. Marc Guillemot 
  11. Jorg Riechers
  12. Aymeric Chappellier 

Also unsure about the notion that production Class40s are extremely uncompetitive? A Pogo40.2 (built in 2011) came 5th in the Fastnet. Hull number 104 (early Mach design) came 4th in the Les Sables Horta. Dragon (#54) built back in 2008 came 12th in the RDR. I understand that they're not podium positions however there are plenty of newer boats behind them.

Expense is also of course relative however a custom Class40 will set you back 750,000 euro ready to go, sails and electronics too. My understanding is that the only one Class40 build has exceeded $1m and that was Longbow #142 (I think) and it's never competed in a Class40 fleet. Yes expensive but not the 3/4/5 million spent on an IMOCA...

1 hour ago, Bentley the Badger said:

You also mention that Class40 is suffering talent loss? For sure several have moved to the IMOCA. Most notably Maxime Sorel, Miranda Merron and Manuel Cousin. That said look at the guys now racing in the TJV. A few are named below: 

Expense is also of course relative however a custom Class40 will set you back 750,000 euro ready to go, sails and electronics too. My understanding is that the only one Class40 build has exceeded $1m and that was Longbow #142 (I think) and it's never competed in a Class40 fleet. Yes expensive but not the 3/4/5 million spent on an IMOCA...

Phil Sharp is also a very big loss to Class 40 and its a shame he hasn't got an IMOCA start either.

IMO 750K EUR is too high for what should be a relatively affordable class.  Most will need some good sponsorship to get sort of money together and they are of course hard to find and keep.  Escalating costs are likely a long term risk as the cost of a shoe string IMOCA entry and top level 40 entry converge.  IMOCA gets a lot more sponsor friendly pubcility than Class 40.

46 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Phil Sharp is also a very big loss to Class 40 and its a shame he hasn't got an IMOCA start either.

IMO 750K EUR is too high for what should be a relatively affordable class.  Most will need some good sponsorship to get sort of money together and they are of course hard to find and keep.  Escalating costs are likely a long term risk as the cost of a shoe string IMOCA entry and top level 40 entry converge.  IMOCA gets a lot more sponsor friendly pubcility than Class 40.

Phil hasn't left Class40. It's true that he has huge aspirations to do TOR and the Vendee but I expect to see him lining up in The Transat and Quebec St Malo next year. When he does go (I really hope he does because it'll mean something much bigger for him, he deserves that) yes he will be a hugh loss!  

In terms of price, yes it's still a large wedge of cash however I think the key word is 'relatively'. I'd argue that it is relatively affordable. Certainly for many marketing budgets. Also take into account the strength of the second hand market. Some fantastic boats are listed around the 2/350k mark. I expect that shoestring budgets will be seen less and less frequently in the IMOCA. It's been said behind closed doors that the 2024 Vendee will not allow non-foiling 60s. That decision alone will push costs further and imho make the Class40 all the stronger.  

(photo taken from: https://www.facebook.com/OceansLabRacing/)

71286995_2689775381086233_7128704310363291648_o.thumb.jpg.c9f74d0cedc3a063952848b3b8d9a1f5.jpg

Edited by Bentley the Badger
typo!

IMOCA start list (30). Oct 27

The 30 registered at the Transat Jacques Vabre 2019 in IMOCA:
11th Hour Racing: Charlie Enright and Pascal Bidégorry
4myplanet: Alexia Barrier and Joan Mulloy
Advens for Cybersecurity: Thomas Ruyant and Antoine Koch
Apivia: Charlie Dalin and Yann Eliès
Ariel 2: Ari Huusela and Michael Ferguson
Arkea Paprec: Sébastien Simon and Vincent Riou
Banque Populaire X: Clarisse Crémer and Armel le Cléac'h
Bureau Vallée 2: Louis Burton and Davy Beaudart
Campaign of France: Miranda Merron and Halvard Mabire
Charal: Jérémie Beyou and Christopher Pratt
CORUM L'Epargne: Nicolas Troussel and Jean Le Cam
Fortil: Clément Giraud and Rémi Beauvais
Apicil Group: Damien Seguin and Yoann Richomme
Groupe Setin: Manuel Cousin and Gildas Morvan
Hugo Boss: Alex Thomson and Neal McDonald
Initiatives - Coeur: Samantha Davies and Paul Meilhat
La Fabrique: Alan Roura and Sébastien Audigane
La Mie Câline - Artipôle: Arnaud Boissières and Xavier Macaire
MACSF: Isabelle Joschke and Morgan Lagravière
Maître CoQ: Yannick Bestaven and Roland Jordan
Malizia 2 - Monaco Yacht Club: Boris Hermann and Will Harris
Newrest - Art and Windows: Fabrice Amedeo and Eric Peron
Pip Hare Ocean Racing: Pip Hare and Andrew Baker
PRB: Kevin Escoffier and Nicolas Lunven
Prysmian Group: Giancarlo Pedote and Anthony Marchand
Pure: Romain Attanasio and Sébastien Marsset
Time for Oceans: Stéphane Le Diraison and François Guiffant
V and B - Mayenne: Maxime Sorel and Guillaume Le Brec
Towards a world without AIDS: Erik Nigon and Tolga Ekrem Pamir
Water Family: Benjamin Dutreux and Thomas Cardrin

Pip Hare with Bernard Stamm's old boat.  No big team but getting it done and hopefully on the VG starting line in a year or so.

• Like 1

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/kito-de-pavant-change-de-monture-transat-jacques-vabre-class40.html#.XZkOgErYphE

Some great new for Kito, he found a boat.  #125.from  2013.  They wanted to continue to use their sails with their sponsors and had a lot of difficulty finding a rig that was compatible.  The boat is in Brittany so that's where they are headed to get it sorted out as best as possible before the start.   Using a crowd funding to try close the resulting budget gap.  

• Like 1

Arkea's exhaust running 

23 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Arkea's exhaust running 

Foredeck drain, no?

31 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Foredeck drain, no?

:D V12

• Like 1

Push the button and take off. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jb5 said:
Push the button and take off. 

It would be great if they could jump over containers, whales and other obstacles. Just connect the button to the sonar obstacle avoidance system ;)

• Like 1

Pip Hare's new co-skipper for the TJV.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jb5 said:

Pip Hare's new co-skipper for the TJV.

So, the obvious question. How did Hammy break his arm?

58 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

So, the obvious question. How did Hammy break his arm?

Reading between the lines from the comments on the post (I forget if it was FB or Instagram) through kiteboarding, but thats totally supposition on my part

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Reading between the lines from the comments on the post (I forget if it was FB or Instagram) through kiteboarding, but thats totally supposition on my part

No need to read between the lines; from Pip's email update:

Hammy was out kitesurfing while I was at the Vendee Globe briefing and after a great day on the water enjoying the last surf of the season, he’d had a fall on the beach when packing up which resulted in a big gash to the head and a broken arm. 

• Like 1

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/yannick-bestaven-roland-jourdain-maitre-coq-jacques-vabre-.html#.XaBzZ0rYo3E

These two on the former Safran (foiler) should be well worth watching.  Both have great track records and the boat even though its mostly not undated since the last VG should be quick and reliable. I would think they should be very near the front.

Yannick Bestaven and Roland Jourdain at the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre: "All signals are green"

Yannick Bestaven and Roland Jourdain finish their preparation on the water for the Transat Jacques Vabre by a final training camp in Port-la-Forêt. Comforted by their good fourth place in September on the Azimut Challenge, the two skippers of Master CoQ IV, who have sailed a lot since the beginning of the year, were full of confidence before heading to Le Havre.

20190410_BESTAVEN_0247.jpg
Credit: Master Cock

No bad surprises
Since the Rolex Fastnet Race in early August, which they took sixth place, Yannick Bestaven and Roland Jourdain have not been idle: on their return from Cowes, IMOCA Master CoQ IV is first ironed by the box construction. Yannick Bestaven: " It was necessary to check everything. And what is very positive is that we had no bad surprises, it is the proof that Master CoQ IV is very reliable. "

In the match
After the Azimut Challenge, the duo of Master CoQ IV was invited to participate in a training camp with the pole Finistère race off Port-la-Forêt, a first for Yannick Bestaven: " It necessarily pulls up and it saves a lot of time. In particular, we made a 24-hour trip to five boats, during which we chained a start and an offshore course in all configurations, namely near-speed, reaching upwind, carrying in 25-30 knots, and a return to the near. It was very constructive and we still had confirmation that we were in the game. "

"  All signals are green "three weeks before the start of the big event of the season.

Source: C Muller

https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft.com/tip-shaft-181-americas-cup-la-bataille-des-designs-fait-rage-jean-le-cam-pour-le-vende-globe-on-a-tout-pour-plaire-un-sponsor?e=9a497c6fa7

Interview with Jean Le Cam on the link above in French.  To me he is one of the greatest characters in IMOCA.

Jean is doing the TJV with his boat in Corum colors with Nicolas Troussel while the new Corum (Juan K) is built to give Nicolas miles and experience of IMOCA.  Jean is not linked to the new boats development, that's with M. Desjoyeaux.

Jean has no title sponsor yet for the VG, which would be his 5th, but intends to find one.  He needs 850K EUR. His boat, ex VG winning Foncia, has some updates planned for the boom, sails dagger boards and water ballast but no foils are planned due to the cost primarily.

Jean was 6th last time and I hope he makes it into the VG.

• Like 1

Charal & Arkea ij final tune ups for the TJV. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jb5 said:

Interview with Jean Le Cam on the link above in French.  To me he is one of the greatest characters in IMOCA.

He certainly is a character, always joking and making fun but meanwhile a fierce competitor who never gives up.

At 60 years old he is still keen to stay relevant and do one more VG, and being such a sympathetic communicator, could in fact be a real asset for the right sponsor.

Wouldn't be surprised if he then would want to do the TOR as well. After all he started off his career with Taberly (like so many) on Euromarche/Pen Duick VI in the 1981/82 Whitbread.

For those who don't know him, this short video, even so it is in French, gives you a good idea of his sense of humor.

• Like 3

Pip Hare in a happy place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jb5 said:

Pip Hare in a happy place.

I know that feeling. :-)

• Like 1

My bet's on charal, HB too new to be a real contender for the win IMO, but he will give him a good run for his money in the tradewinds with the downwind only approach. Apivia and 11 hour racing will be ones to watch. I don't follow class 40 so whoever has the ugliest looking scow. 

9 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

I don't follow class 40 so whoever has the ugliest looking scow

:lol::lol::lol:

The two "scow" (more hybrids) class 40s to watch are Ian Lipinski's Crédit Mutuel:
70435526_3490947584264796_43966276729527
and Simon Koster / Valentin Gautier's Roesti Sailing Team:

71910474_2491176117833685_53651271645197

1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

71910474_2491176117833685_53651271645197

On their qualification run in the bay of biscay they ran 18kn in 15kn wind and topped out at 25kn in a gust. There's a vid on their facebook.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

My bet's on charal, HB too new to be a real contender for the win IMO, but he will give him a good run for his money in the tradewinds with the downwind only approach. Apivia and 11 hour racing will be ones to watch. I don't follow class 40 so whoever has the ugliest looking scow. 

Charal agree, they are the most ready by far of the new boats and should have the advantage.  Apivia and Akrea Paprec should be in there as well. Both have great teams and will have developed quickly. PRB will probably do well along as always with 11th Hour.  HB, Multi 50 and Class40 no clue at all.

It should be very interesting. If they start into some significant weather like they did two races ago (before the last VG) the new boats will likely suffer Hopefully not as much.

56 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Charal agree, they are the most ready by far of the new boats and should have the advantage.  Apivia and Akrea Paprec should be in there as well. Both have great teams and will have developed quickly. PRB will probably do well along as always with 11th Hour.  HB, Multi 50 and Class40 no clue at all.

It should be very interesting. If they start into some significant weather like they did two races ago (before the last VG) the new boats will likely suffer Hopefully not as much.

I don't actually expect much from Apivia and Arkea, while they will be in the fight for podium places for sure, they're in the same 'untested' situation that HB is in. Their skippers also don't boast the same credentials AT or JB. 

I'm pretty sure the skippers and co-skippers of Arkea and Apivia are up to it.  V. Riou and J. Elise.  Formidable co-skippers.

• Like 3

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/charal--jeremie-beyou-transat-jacques-vabre-depart-imoca-monocoque.html#.XaXtQz7Yo3E

Charal favorite on the Transat Jacques Vabre, Jérémie Beyou: "We are really in the nails" - IMOCA

This Thursday, Jérémie Beyou and Christopher Pratt will leave Lorient for Le Havre, where will be given on October 27 the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre. The two sailors feel ready to tackle the big event of the season. "Given this almost perfect preparation and results, we can not say anything else that our goal is to win."

Select_Charal_290819_123BD.JPG
Credit: JM Liot

"We leave reassured"
Jérémie Beyou: " We are really in the nails of the initial program: serene with the boat, in terms of performance, maneuverability and reliability, but also from a logistical point of view and in terms of physical preparation. We leave reassured in Le Havre and comforted by our two wins on the Rolex Fastnet Race and the Azimut Challenge. "

The last sailing of September allowed the pair to refine its last settings as confirmed Christopher Pratt. " You never stop discovering new settings that, once integrated, become automatic. As for our duet with Jérémie, we have been sailing together for several years. We get things done even more serene and fluid. "

"Our goal is to win"
They will be considered as part of the favorites on this Transat Jacques Vabre. What Jérémie Beyou does not deny: " It is certain that given this almost perfect preparation and the results obtained, we can not say anything other than that our objective is to win, we would not believe ourselves if we affirmed the opposite. But we know the complexity of the task. To win, you have to combine all the ingredients at the same time: the right strategies, a lot of intensity, no technical problems and always a small part of success. And we must not neglect our competitors who work so well, we are not the only ones to feed this ambition of victory. "

It remains now a big ten days, including a conveyance, the duo to refine the final details.

Source: I Delaune

• Like 1

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/initiatives-coeur-sam-davies-imoca-jacques-vabre-depart-enfants-sauves-preparation.html#.XadDLj7Yo3E

Initiatives-Coeur leaves Lorient, for Le Havre, Sam Davies and Paul Meilhat are ready for the Jacques Vabre

Full article on the link in French

samdavies_tjvES.jpg
Credit: E Stichelbaut

Hypnosis and pilates for Sam Davies
Sam Davies seems to have found "her thing", she was introduced to hypnosis last year. By working upstream with a specialist, she found that she had greater ease in prioritizing her tasks. "On the Route du Rhum last year, I felt a real" better ", the hypnosis helps me to slip the information in the right boxes and this, despite fatigue.

In addition to bike rides and many hours of swimming, Sam practices pilates."Pilates allows me to work on my muscle memory, improve flexibility and motor skills, strengthen certain key muscles (back and wrist), learn not to put my body in danger when I do maneuvers, to place my supports, to save my energy. It is a discipline that allows you to refuel, it is an excellent remedy to calm some ailments, Paul also put it a few months ago, it is tested and approved! "

Cap of 200 rescued children
The two skippers are now sharpened and in the best conditions to join Brazil and carry the colors of Mécénat Chirurgie Cardiaque. The target of 200 children saved by the project could be reached during this transatlantic.

Every big offshore race is indeed the occasion of an awareness campaign during which the sponsors of the boat, Initiatives, K-LINE and VINCI Energies, finance with their donations the operations of children suffering from serious cardiac malformations. For each new subscriber of the Facebook page and Instagram Initiatives-Heart, sponsor-patrons give 1 € to the Association.

By the editor
Source; O Connection

• Like 2

All headed to Le Havre.

• Like 1

We need the soundtrack to jaws... the anticipation is killing us. This is gonna be a good race to follow. Sure hope their tracer is up to it. (Forss, are you still out there?)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Varan said:

We need the soundtrack to jaws... the anticipation is killing us. This is gonna be a good race to follow. Sure hope their tracer is up to it. (Forss, are you still out there?)

Do do. Do do. Do do, Do do do do do do.

No wait, that's Baby Shark.

Edited by Sailbydate
sound FX

Grabbing the lifeline to hold on to while trying to steer and sitting on sail bags and using another line (?) for foot support.

Maybe they need a better helm seat and handhold arrangement.  This cockpit always looked pretty awkward.  Here it doesn't even look very safe.

• Like 2

Summary of the 30 IMOCA entries :

imoca-tjv-2019.png

Taken from  last voiles et voilers magazine

Just putting this out here

Charal for the win.

Boats that come 2nd and 3rd to be on the podium at the end of the vendee.

11th hour to be in top 5.

Arkea-Paprec breaks a foil on the way to Le Havre. Pic from Seb Simon's FB page

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

• Like 1

Fuck.

This is terrible news for that team, and species diversity within the IMOCA fleet generally.

Realistically I cannot see how they could cobble together a competive attempt with so little time on the clock. Is it even worth them going with only one foil. The other foil must be first up for ultra sound checks to determine its state.

The other foilers will be anxious to know the circumstances and any lessons to be taken.

Good that the laminating schedule allowed foil break outside with no transfer of damage to the hull. Silver Linings and all that.....

According to their Facebook post they are going ahead with the race anyway. Good test I suspose even if they will be off the pace on at least one tack.

It's a shame for the team and the race. I hope this doesn't become a theme. 

12 hours ago, jb5 said:

10 days to go

Paint is heavy, but could not even imagine how depressing an unpainted carbon interior would be. I like this one.

To finish, keeping your sanity is important. 

11 hours ago, Varan said:

Paint is heavy, but could not even imagine how depressing an unpainted carbon interior would be. I like this one.

To finish, keeping your sanity is important. 

Maybe they used some fancy F1 paint.  Either way I agree.  The light interior is well worth it.

https://www.adsalecprj.com/Publicity/MarketNews/lang-eng/lang-eng/article-67029423/article-67029423/NewsArticle.aspx

14 hours ago, Boink said:

Fuck.

This is terrible news for that team, and species diversity within the IMOCA fleet generally.

Realistically I cannot see how they could cobble together a competive attempt with so little time on the clock. Is it even worth them going with only one foil. The other foil must be first up for ultra sound checks to determine its state.

The other foilers will be anxious to know the circumstances and any lessons to be taken.

Good that the laminating schedule allowed foil break outside with no transfer of damage to the hull. Silver Linings and all that.....

It’s a Juan K. who is jumping into foiling directly in the imoca class - a big gamble paired with a rather big talker of a rookie skipper. 

the other young guns with new boats opted with more experienced designers and haven’t spent as much time talking. 

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

It’s a Juan K. who is jumping into foiling directly in the imoca class - a big gamble paired with a rather big talker of a rookie skipper. 

the other young guns with new boats opted with more experienced designers and haven’t spent as much time talking. 

So he broke the foil for speaking his mind because it is designed by Juan K?

I guess no other designers foils have ever failed or maybe, just maybe, they actually hit something at 25Knts?

I hope they manage to start anyway.

New extended roof on Charal as they arrive in Le Harve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

So he broke the foil for speaking his mind because it is designed by Juan K?

I guess no other designers foils have ever failed or maybe, just maybe, they actually hit something at 25Knts?

I hope they manage to start anyway.

Not sure where you’re getting all this from. Juan K hasn’t done an imoca in two generations. He’s jumping right in into foiling, paired with an imoca newbie whose boat hasn’t finished anything of note yet. The teething problems are bound to happen and they seem to have spent more time talking to the press in the last quarter than Charal or Hugo Boss. 

• Like 1

Sounds to me that you just don't like them.

Personally I would like to see them really compete at 100% before making any judgments. Looks now like that will now be delayed until next year which is a shame. 

Not everyone has to like the same people. In this era and age I increasingly find bombastic promoters of the beneteau first and figaro kids throwing darts at more experienced foreign imoca skippers asking for a karma realignment. 

I’ll be watching Charal, DMG, Hugo Boss, Apivia. If I needed more inspirational young skippers, Cremer, Dalin and Ruyant are there and don’t seem be acting like they’re some bitcoin startup hedge fund VC asshole. 

Youtube about the Arkea incident 

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/transat-jacques-vabre-foil-babord-casse-sur-arkea-paprec-18-10-2019-12411928.php

According to the statement, it was 9:15 pm Thursday when Sebastien Simon warned the team ashore that the port foil had just broken. The damage occurred while the ferry from Port-La-Forêt was coming to an end, about an hour from Le Havre. The Imoca sailed in manageable conditions on flat sea. The boat was sailing at 25 knots at the time of the damage. The port foil broke flush with the hull. "Suddenly, we heard crack, the foil broke. Fortunately, this foil did not spoil the other elements of the boat, which allowed us to arrive here safely. We will try to analyze what remains of the foil to understand what happened. We no longer go for the victory or a podium, we go to finish the race in good conditions and get rich from this experience.

27 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Why wouldn't Arkea have a spare set of foils? Seems an obvious plan.

The huge cost and construction time of making them

• Like 3

and the fact they will likely have a new designed foil for the VG after testing of the gen 1 foils.

• Like 3

I doubt any of the teams have spares, maybe HB has one or two extra that probably don’t fit in the boats. I think they are north of $500k a pair and a million including tooling wouldn’t surprise me.

4 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Will Arkea continue in the race with just one working foil?

Yes.  But not with much chance of a podium.