posaune

Carbon mast transport

How do people transport their masts? I sail about 400mi from home and am in the process of figuring out a trailer for my Swift Solo, but I've never had to deal with a one piece mast before. For lots of reasons, it would be easiest this year to put it on my roof rack, but is that enough support? The crossmembers are 46" apart and the mast is about 23ft long. 

The other relatively easy option would be to put a support in the front of the trailer and one of those sit-in-the-rudder-gudgeon things, but then there's no support in the middle 15ft or so and the trailer rides harder than the car.

I have no clue what overhang laws are in NY and CT. I guess I'll look for those too.

If your vehicle has bolt-on tow hooks under the front end, like my Tundra truck, it is easy. I had a long F-16 catamaran mast to transport from the factory in East Florida to Huntington Beach, California. Boat on roof. Matt McDonald's mechanical guy only took ten minutes to weld a metal post that had an "L" at the bottom with holes and a fork at the top. 

Unbolted the tow hooks and bolted on the post. Two feet in front of the truck overhang and maybe two feet behind. Got there via Seattle, so obviously worked OK. Dave Ellis

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sailwriter said:

If your vehicle has bolt-on tow hooks under the front end, like my Tundra truck, it is easy. I had a long F-16 catamaran mast to transport from the factory in East Florida to Huntington Beach, California. Boat on roof. Matt McDonald's mechanical guy only took ten minutes to weld a metal post that had an "L" at the bottom with holes and a fork at the top. 

Unbolted the tow hooks and bolted on the post. Two feet in front of the truck overhang and maybe two feet behind. Got there via Seattle, so obviously worked OK. Dave Ellis

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that would make things easier, but I tow with a Volvo wagon. I've looked for possibilities of adding a support, but everything in the front is plastic. There's a place for a tow hook, but only one, and it's way off center.

I transport a carbon Finn mast and carbon IC mast on roof racks mounted on a Toyota Highlander. No problems at highway speeds (80 mph). I do run a line from the tip of the Finn mast to a point under the front bumper to stabilize the mast. The IC mast is short enough to not need that line to the front bumper.

My IC mast goes on the roof sitting in foam canoe blocks with a cam buckle strap around each foam block and bar. The straps and foam have enough friction that the spreaders stay pointed up. Tie off at front and rear to stabilize.

20190807-200707.jpg

3 hours ago, posaune said:

The other relatively easy option would be to put a support in the front of the trailer and one of those sit-in-the-rudder-gudgeon things, but then there's no support in the middle 15ft or so and the trailer rides harder than the car.

what are you worried about?  The mast flexing?

Put some soft foam blocks under it 

After I thought about the loads on an unsupported top mast or fully unstayed mast sailing, and then about the loads you might get from roof travel I decided to stop worrying.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JimC said:

After I thought about the loads on an unsupported top mast or fully unstayed mast sailing, and then about the loads you might get from roof travel I decided to stop worrying.

Exactly my thoughts. Far more strain on mast when sailing with full Vang or block to block main sheet on unstayed carbon mast in my OK Dinghy and that’s never shown signs of breaking. (Till I go out next Wednesday!)

5663133A-A7D4-4528-8B72-8B222ADC9A72.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

what are you worried about?  The mast flexing?

Put some soft foam blocks under it 

5 hours ago, JimC said:

Yeah, I just worry about it flopping around on the roof. I know it flexes more sailing (though I do have three sets of shrouds), but I didn't know if the more constant up/down motion would be a problem.

I'm not worried about it going anywhere. I carry a 16ft kayak all over with just straps at those bars. The mast would also be between two sets of kayak racks, on thick foam bar pads.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, posaune said:

The other relatively easy option would be to put a support in the front of the trailer and one of those sit-in-the-rudder-gudgeon things,

do this, or a beam with bunks across the gunwhales with a slot in the middle for the mast.

Best option all round, and you're not putting shit on your car roof.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:01 PM, ortegakid said:

LIKE DIS!

Nice! 

Part of the problem with that was that next year this trailer will have a second level on it so anything done for the mast on the trailer would be temporary. Also, I couldn't get the mast over my car from the trailer, because I'll have two kayaks up there on the way back. Yeah, too many toys....

In any case, I put it on my roof rack and it was totally fine. Next year I'll figure a way to get it on the double trailer (after I figure out how to make the trailer double). Thanks for all the responses. 

Most double trailers I've used just have a taller mast support, usually with two slots.  Tie the other end of the masts to the back of the top boat, simples.  Those who worry about the mast bouncing while towing just tie down the middle to prebend them.  All the same as a single trailer.

• Like 1