us7070

Tacktick/Micronet questions

I am trying to figure out a Tacktick system. i have no previous experience with them.

The wind numbers are not displaying.., i have googled it, and i have seen various fixes for this problem, which i will try

but i have some basic questions about the system.

for a "wireless" system.., it seems to have a lot of wires...

anyway, the T121 hull transmitter: i see it has wired connections to speed, depth and heading sensors.

If i understand correctly.., that T121 creates the "Micronet" network.., which communicates wirelessly with the displays - is that correct?

The wind sensor at the top of the mast is entirely wireless - right?

Does the wind instrument communicate directly with the displays? or.., does it communicate with the hull transmitter, which then sends the wind data to the displays?

i want to add a GPS.., and/or a NMEA to wifi..,, i must use a T122 wireless interface - right?

I see that both the GPS and the NMEA to Wifi, will have a wired connection to the T122.., but the T122 will communicate wrelessly with the rest of the tacktick system.

Does the T122 communicate with the Hull transmitter.., or directly with the displays?

thanks...

Everything is wireless, except the hull transmitter, which is wired to thru-hull transducers. Micronet is a hubless network; every device is both a listener and talker, and listens and talks to every other device on the network. There is no 'server'. Setups bought in one go come pre-configured to all function on a local 'micronet'. If they were not or don't, there is a published procedure to being them all into very close proximity and create a new micronet

Correct re the T122. 

43 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

If they were not or don't, there is a published procedure to being them all into very close proximity and create a new micronet

i guess if one component is not working.., i want to follow the procedure for adding a single new component to the system - even if that component previously did work.

the part about them needing to be close together is kind of a pain if the part you need to get working is at the top of the rig...

US, if have no wind readings it will be because of two possible issues:-

1. batteries are dead - pretty easy to replace - you find them on ebay. batteries only last 5~7 years at most
  2. you are in a marina - with all the interference from nearby masts (some of which may also have a TackTick system) you need to re boot the system when away from the berth

You can also check signal strength - refer to manuals.

in reading about the no-wind problem, it seems that some people are saying that if even one of the displays has a slightly low battery level, the wind may not work...

isn't that a pretty serious limitation?

how can you keep the batteries at 100% all the time, without a wired  power supply - which apparently is possible, but kind of negates the "wireless" aspect of them.

isn't it going to be pretty common for the display batteries to run down a bit- say, if you haven't been on the boat for a while and the displays are covered or even just in the shade?

what about sailing in low-light situations? is the wind going to go out as soon as one of the displays drops from 3 bars to two bars on the battery?

2 hours ago, us7070 said:

in reading about the no-wind problem, it seems that some people are saying that if even one of the displays has a slightly low battery level, the wind may not work...

No.  Perhaps you should go to the Raymarine website and download the Raymarine Wireless Manual so you have a basic understanding of the system and can understand the answers given above.  Raymarine states that  T120 wireless wind transmitter is solar powered  transmitter with integrated lithium batties.  (Actually, I believe the wind transmitter is battery powered and the battery recharges by a solar cell.)  My experience is that the batteries die after a number of years to the point where the wind transmitter loses signal strength and is not picked up by the displays.  The wind transmitter battery can be replaced, however, if the battery needs to be replaced, other parts may need to be replaced, including bearings, for which there are service kits.  I am not sure how long the T120 will run without sunlight but Raymarine claims the displays can run 300 hrs without a solar charge.  Consequently, as stated above, problems with your wind transmitter may be:  (1) the battery needs replacement or (2) there can be signal interference between the transmitter and display at the dock/marina because of all the radio interference.  My experience in San Diego is that there is alot of radio interference - an not just at the docks.  The displays will show the signal strength and battery condition of the various transmitters, including the wind transmitter, by going to Settings and then Health.   See page 27  https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/h77c8qg66rqzt2qpzt3m8cgz0whvtvge/file/59114459845

isn't that a pretty serious limitation?

how can you keep the batteries at 100% all the time, without a wired  power supply - which apparently is possible, but kind of negates the "wireless" aspect of them.

No.  As stated above, the displays can run a long time without a charge.

isn't it going to be pretty common for the display batteries to run down a bit- say, if you haven't been on the boat for a while and the displays are covered or even just in the shade?

It is not a problem.  However, if the battery charge is weak, just put it in the sun.

what about sailing in low-light situations? is the wind going to go out as soon as one of the displays drops from 3 bars to two bars on the battery?

No. See above.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:58 PM, us7070 said:

I am trying to figure out a Tacktick system. i have no previous experience with them. I'm not a technician, but since this thread is slow I'll give it my best shot. 

The wind numbers are not displaying.., i have googled it, and i have seen various fixes for this problem, which i will try My two issues where that my 45' mast was close to the 50' limit for the wifi. I relocated my receiver for better reception, and Raymarine took my older style wind unit back and sold me a deeply discounted new model replacement. We lose wind at times, but not much worse than the fancier systems. Carbon sails can make this worse, as can carbon hulls, same for aluminum or steel hulls and sails. 

but i have some basic questions about the system.

for a "wireless" system.., it seems to have a lot of wires...  Apple can't make everything. 

anyway, the T121 hull transmitter: i see it has wired connections to speed, depth and heading sensors. I've assumed this is because they are below deck away from solar light. 

If i understand correctly.., that T121 creates the "Micronet" network.., which communicates wirelessly with the displays - is that correct?  121, 123, whatever it takes. 

The wind sensor at the top of the mast is entirely wireless - right? Yes, and it's awesome. 

Does the wind instrument communicate directly with the displays? or.., does it communicate with the hull transmitter, which then sends the wind data to the displays? I'm pretty sure it communicates with the central hull transmitter. Otherwise we'd have a relay halfway up our mast. 

i want to add a GPS.., and/or a NMEA to wifi..,, i must use a T122 wireless interface - right?  You didn't say there would be math!  But  I have a couple wires that extend from my GPS unit directly into the Hal 3000 hub. I can't remember how my Vesper NEMA interface connects, but that pushes all the Tacktick data out to my Ipad and my kneeboard tablet. But no Netflix. 

I see that both the GPS and the NMEA to Wifi, will have a wired connection to the T122.., but the T122 will communicate wrelessly with the rest of the tacktick system.

Does the T122 communicate with the Hull transmitter.., or directly with the displays?

thanks...

My observation is that its easy to plug the TackTick system in, it magically works, and then when something goes wrong people don't understand the finer points of how it works. I ended up taking a weekend to download and read every manual I could find, learn the programming, and then calibrate the system. Then I calibrated it again. If you're going to race with any instrument, I can't stress how important it is to calibrate, otherwise just turn the stuff off. 

There are more expensive systems out there, but instruments are only as good as their calibration and wiring. 

This is a pretty old post but perhaps there are still some questions. I can tell you that a wind transducer will display directly to a display.  I have a wind transducer and a remote display at home, nowhere near my hull transducer or nmea interface, and it reads wind speed and direction just fine.

As I understand it, the problem with wind, assuming you have it set up correctly, is range and things like carbon sails, which will block the signals. With really tall masts, some people put a mast rotation thing half way up. I sometimes have wind not come on but just turn the system off and turn it back on standing somewhere else. The only problem I ever have is really nuts wind readings when I am under the Bay Bridge.  wtf is with that?

I keep my displays in my cabin without covers and they are always charged which is impressive as my windows are blue plexiglass so not even clear.

I know a fair amount about them, where they work and where they are crap so if there are still questions ask away.

Allen

L-36.com