Libertist

Libertist 703 - new folding and foiling trimaran

Hi Everyone,

Libertist Yachts currently designs 703 model, while 1003 and 1203 are under development. 

703 is fully folding

Fits into a standard single 40’ container

Folded width for trailing will be 2,55m without unbolting beams

Fits into a 9m x 3,10m monohull marina berth

If you need more info drop us a line

PS

Yes, we bought an add!

D82B6FC2-AFE6-48D4-B991-3C09D61E58B9.png

C4433660-8426-4108-9AD4-D5A02E1ADF0B.png

108492D7-3C96-4EC1-86D1-168C784C6FCA.png

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 12:49 AM, Libertist said:

We call it mini foils or fixed foils. 

Whatever - they do the job!

Which job?  Keeping the boat upright? Reducing leeway? Reducing displacement?  Is there a fixed foil in the rudder as well?

I don't see a centerboard or daggerboard in the main hull-did I miss it?

54 minutes ago, MultiThom said:

Which job?  Keeping the boat upright? Reducing leeway? Reducing displacement?  Is there a fixed foil in the rudder as well?

I don't see a centerboard or daggerboard in the main hull-did I miss it?

The details are all listed in the ad he didn’t buy. Again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

The details are all listed in the ad he didn’t buy. Again. 

Seriously?  More BS from these guys again?  Who would be so stupid as to buy a boat from someone lacking basic integrity, nevermind the financial resources to buy an ad... :wacko:

On 8/24/2019 at 12:56 PM, Wess said:

Seriously?  More BS from these guys again?  Who would be so stupid as to buy a boat from someone lacking basic integrity, nevermind the financial resources to buy an ad... :wacko:

I think Scot’s kind of an ass, but I still respect his business. Libretist is looking for a free ride. That level of cheap scares me immediately from any boat builder. 

• Like 2

What is this about "ad he didn't buy",  "BS from these guys again", "someone lacking business integrity", etc.? What do you know that I do not know? The designer of the Libertist range, Erik Lerouge, is certainly well know in his field. The yard where the first boat, Libertist 853, was built at, is also very reputable. You may also read a favourable test article about the Libertist 853 is the latest Multihull World magazine. I thought the multihull forum was the right place to post information about new boats and new designs, so what exactly is the problem?

5 hours ago, kleppar said:

... so what exactly is the problem?

The initial post says "Yes, we bought an add!"  BUT, searching the classified section for a paid advertisement yields no ad to be found--at least the only time I looked for the answers to the questions I asked about foils and boards.

I went to the Libertist website and viewed the video they have of the 853.  It seemed to hobby horse a lot in those videos while the sea state didn't appear to be the cause.  Ya think the fixed foils are doing that?  

As draft goes from .3m to 1.6m then there seems to be a conventional main hull centreboard. Swinging folding system leaves the hulls out back while trailing which seems a disadvantage but otherwise looks an interesting design. 

On 8/26/2019 at 3:54 AM, kleppar said:

What is this about "ad he didn't buy",  "BS from these guys again", "someone lacking business integrity", etc.? What do you know that I do not know? The designer of the Libertist range, Erik Lerouge, is certainly well know in his field. The yard where the first boat, Libertist 853, was built at, is also very reputable. You may also read a favourable test article about the Libertist 853 is the latest Multihull World magazine. I thought the multihull forum was the right place to post information about new boats and new designs, so what exactly is the problem?

Do you have a link to the ad?  I’ll happily apologize. I’ve never seen one. 

On 8/26/2019 at 10:54 AM, kleppar said:

I find it a problem if you try to market your product as a commercial seller in a post from an other design like this

On 9/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, mowgli said:

I find it a problem if you try to market your product as a commercial seller in a post from an other design like this

Yes, you are absolutely right. Always. 

61165B6A-7777-4B6A-825C-E17FE5C196F1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, Wess said:

:wacko:

CDBB32AB-7BFE-4583-A335-331B5BB0A165.jpeg

Good Day All,

Saying thé fixed foils do their job I mean - they are reducing pitching, leeway - boat is reaching without daggerboard. 

Displacement is reduced. 

There is daggerboard not centreboard and no foil on rudder  

There is interesting article in Multihulls World 168 about cruising multi and foils. 

All the best,

Thanks for answering my questions.    Couldn't find the article you mention above (cruising multi and foils), perhaps you should provide a link?  I watched your promo video of the 853 and saw a lot of hobbyhorsing without any obvious wake or waves that caused it.   Did not look like a comfortable ride.  What was going on-do the fixed foils provide instability in some wind/sea states/courses?  

13 hours ago, MultiThom said:

Thanks for answering my questions.    Couldn't find the article you mention above (cruising multi and foils), perhaps you should provide a link?  I watched your promo video of the 853 and saw a lot of hobbyhorsing without any obvious wake or waves that caused it.   Did not look like a comfortable ride.  What was going on-do the fixed foils provide instability in some wind/sea states/courses?  

It is Multihulls World #168 page 74-75. 

Zodiac caused the wake. You can spot it in lower corner. 

Fixed foils works like other foils. Just need speed to generate force. 

19 hours ago, Libertist said:

PS

Talk to Seahorse. We have bought the add B)

061988FD-7384-4138-AA0F-744D5A7B3627.jpeg

It’s ugly, expensive, poorly designed and constructed, slow, and has no livable interior. There are many better trimarans on the market. Thanks; no.

• Downvote 1

Hmm, and how do you know all this? Ugly - that is in the eyes of the beholder; poorly designed  - is Erik Lerouge known for poor design? Poorly constructed - how do you know when it only exists as a design? Slow - compared to which boats? No livable interior - I have just been on board an F22, and the Libertist 703 has just as much interior space, if not more.  Which other trimarans similar size are on the market are better? I have only found Corsair 760, Farrier f22, and Dragonfly 25. In my opinion the 703 is very promising compared to its competition.

20 minutes ago, kleppar said:

Hmm, and how do you know all this? Ugly - that is in the eyes of the beholder; poorly designed  - is Erik Lerouge known for poor design? Poorly constructed - how do you know when it only exists as a design? Slow - compared to which boats? No livable interior - I have just been on board an F22, and the Libertist 703 has just as much interior space, if not more.  Which other trimarans similar size are on the market are better? I have only found Corsair 760, Farrier f22, and Dragonfly 25. In my opinion the 703 is very promising compared to its competition.

Concur...I think it is pretty nice looking and appears to have a very wide stern compared to other tris of this size...will likely make it slower in light breeze but it is intended as a camper sailor.  I think the foils are like the old catri boats...more hype than effective, but who knows; foil design has improved a lot in the past decade.  I do worry about the hobbyhorsing on the 853, if a little zodiac can cause that, not likely to be a very pleasant ride in a seaway. The boat weight spec is pretty heavy-especially when you consider that most are understated by 10-20%, but maybe he's just more honest about it than other manufacturers.   Be nice to see the production boat alongside a astus.

Eric had a shorthanded cat years ago that was racing against some tris and cats prepping for Round Britain...It was fast and tough and well built to design.....it is now interesting to see his website that has been going for years, to now have a folding design.  I remember friends i europe loving his flare to reduce water on deck in moderate wind family outings.... and it allows for a wider forepeak and main interior...the more modern no chine flare shape allowed the folding designs to happen a bit easier .       I remember the Wavelength 780 was Rob Forster  nutting it out by trial and error after building Farriers for years . [ pity he has retired as he had been working on a larger version]...but now with CAD design it is easier to put the flare back in and getting the pivot points to align....whilst still being trailerable...with marina fees and lift out costs a trailerable version is having a growth spurt , right up to the larger Rapido M&M designs... [ also good for containering ] .

Eric's design in a dense red block colour show little finesse, compared to the renderings on the more developed company web sites.  I think seeing some of his other designs on the water can allow people to see beyond the basic renders....

http://erik.lerouge.pagesperso-orange.fr/tri_10.htm?fbclid=IwAR2zvVM-2RxYuzpso7Uy2i4B7EZBI4Zy_UDtz--M4c8D3iaJfm1HZ8WNV7M

Just fyi.  When you post here on SA and say you 'bought an ad', the assumption is that you bought ad space here on SA.  So, while a true statement, it's misleading (intentionally? ...sure hope not).  It leads folks to wonder at what else is being 'slightly' misrepresented, even if technically true....

• Like 2

On 9/26/2019 at 10:56 AM, MultiThom said:

SNIP

I think the foils are like the old catri boats...more hype than effective, but who knows; foil design has improved a lot in the past decade.

SNIP

Back when the catri was for sale I remember some posts that that claimed while in a very narrow window the foils were very effective.  Seems like once the true wind speed was above twenty knots or so and on a reach the catri could out sail a C31.  I was also impress that with out a centerboard/daggerboard the catri had a bigger and more usable below deck cabin space than similar sized offerings.

1 hour ago, Tomfl said:

Back when the catri was for sale I remember some posts that that claimed while in a very narrow window the foils were very effective.  Seems like once the true wind speed was above twenty knots or so and on a reach the catri could out sail a C31.  I was also impress that with out a centerboard/daggerboard the catri had a bigger and more usable below deck cabin space than similar sized offerings.

That is the interesting thing about boats (not just multihulls).  There is a boat that IS what is important to your needs but probably doesn't do everything well.  Boats with which I'm familiar...windrider 17-nice boat (cheap, durable, easy to trailer, quick to get from trailer to water, doesn't point worth crap (takes forever to go to weather); gotta drive from the stern cockpit with your feet (yuck)).   F242, nice boat (expensive for its size, expensive to maintain, needs some mods to make it single hand easily, nice cabin, good sailplan, well built heavy, points just OK, handles big wind very well, even single handed).  SeaRail 19, nice boat ("cabin" is a joke, points very well, excellent to single hand, gotta reef in 20 kts unless have crew, very good performance in light breeze, inexpensive to buy (comparatively), inexpensive to maintain (so far).  Weta-nice boat (not too expensive, VERY WET RIDE, pretty quick, doesn't handle chop well, not great getting from trailer to water....).    My point is that if you don't care how long it takes you to go upwind, a Catri might be a good choice for you-especially if a big cabin is important to you on a small boat.  Folks tend to praise and denigrate based on their own needs (for example, I need a boat that single hands easily, is easy to trailer, that points well, that has a spinnaker...I don't care about cabin size or how fast it is at the top end).  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MultiThom said:

SNIP

Folks tend to praise and denigrate based on their own needs (for example, I need a boat that single hands easily, is easy to trailer, that points well, that has a spinnaker...I don't care about cabin size or how fast it is at the top end).  

I looked at lots of boats before I bought my Seawind.  While I loved lots about the fboats and seriously considered the C36 or C31 both lacked what I considered the minimum things I needed to live aboard and cruise.  While I am sure some folks could single hand a C31 they can get to be a real handful if the wind pipes up; something that has never been an issue with my Seawind.  Another really important quality was the open cockpit/salon which some have described as a dance floor.  I also liked how good both visibility and air flow was.  Having outboards really decreases the cost to maintain the auxiliary power.  Also very happy with how it performs.  I get the FP guys that want things like AC and private heads and the extra room; even if it costs them both performance and more money.  While I would love to have a boat that was easy to trailer and is very fast, as opposed to performs well, I am not sure such a thing exists that would meet my live aboard/cruising needs.  As for the catri while it looked interesting, and to some extent I am still looking for a second boat, the downsides like resale value, and not performing as well as an fboat or Corsair, and questions about build quality were some of the reasons I passed on buying it.

On 9/25/2019 at 4:20 AM, Libertist said:

PS

Talk to Seahorse. We have bought the add B)

061988FD-7384-4138-AA0F-744D5A7B3627.jpeg

Looks nice.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:26 AM, MultiThom said:

That is the interesting thing about boats (not just multihulls).  There is a boat that IS what is important to your needs but probably doesn't do everything well.  Boats with which I'm familiar...windrider 17-nice boat (cheap, durable, easy to trailer, quick to get from trailer to water, doesn't point worth crap (takes forever to go to weather); gotta drive from the stern cockpit with your feet (yuck)).   F242, nice boat (expensive for its size, expensive to maintain, needs some mods to make it single hand easily, nice cabin, good sailplan, well built heavy, points just OK, handles big wind very well, even single handed).  SeaRail 19, nice boat ("cabin" is a joke, points very well, excellent to single hand, gotta reef in 20 kts unless have crew, very good performance in light breeze, inexpensive to buy (comparatively), inexpensive to maintain (so far).  Weta-nice boat (not too expensive, VERY WET RIDE, pretty quick, doesn't handle chop well, not great getting from trailer to water....).    My point is that if you don't care how long it takes you to go upwind, a Catri might be a good choice for you-especially if a big cabin is important to you on a small boat.  Folks tend to praise and denigrate based on their own needs (for example, I need a boat that single hands easily, is easy to trailer, that points well, that has a spinnaker...I don't care about cabin size or how fast it is at the top end).  

ahh, sorry to be a pain - really good comparison @MultiThom, buuut have to ask what are you talking about re Weta not being great to launch??? The ease of this very point is why I chose a lil wet Wetsy and to sell my Sprint 750!! With my damaged arm, I always needed extra help to rig/launch/retrieve the trailerable, whereas I can do the Weta from trailer to water by myself easily in less than half an hour - without needing a proper launching ramp (which are scarce and full of knucklehead stinkboats around where I am)

Will be interesting to see this lil Libertist actually get built.

Well, the stock weta that my friend owned had to be taken off the road trailer to use the launch trailer and rigging the thing was pita to say the least since everything was in bags and all the lines had to be untangled and raising the mast had to ensure the hook/balls weren't cocked and the tramps had to be tightened; on a long (drought) launch ramp it was the work of 2 people to get it back up from the water since the launch trailer didn't hook to a vehicle....of course, over the course of a couple years it got much better and faster and we made a launch trailer that hooked to the car, but that's what I meant about not being great to launch.  

The G-32 with it's original rig is about 12 minutes at the ramp. Mine takes about 25. Makes you think that a boat designed for trailering should be designed for quick and stress-free set-up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

The G-32 with it's original rig is about 12 minutes at the ramp. Mine takes about 25. Makes you think that a boat designed for trailering should be designed for quick and stress-free set-up.

Agreed.  But I like tri's.  Also don't like mini blimps on top of the mast; makes it look like I don't have skills.  Granted, a tri looks like I need training wheels :)

8 hours ago, MultiThom said:

Agreed.  But I like tri's.  Also don't like mini blimps on top of the mast; makes it look like I don't have skills.  Granted, a tri looks like I need training wheels :)

I’m here if you need me. 

• Like 2

I am planning to  have one 703 built for use in Norway. Have looked at the competition (Corsair 760, Farrier F22, Dragonfly 25), and decided on Libertist 703. Looking forward to the result.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, MultiThom said:

Well, the stock weta that my friend owned had to be taken off the road trailer to use the launch trailer and rigging the thing was pita to say the least since everything was in bags and all the lines had to be untangled and raising the mast had to ensure the hook/balls weren't cocked and the tramps had to be tightened; on a long (drought) launch ramp it was the work of 2 people to get it back up from the water since the launch trailer didn't hook to a vehicle....of course, over the course of a couple years it got much better and faster and we made a launch trailer that hooked to the car, but that's what I meant about not being great to launch.  

whoa, mine is not that far off stock & it is super easy to deal with from trailer to water - just needs a couple of simple systems to do things & viola. An extra hand to get it out is always useful, but must have been a bitch of a ramp to deal with!

I consider the libertist an somwhat bigger and improved version of a Pulsar 26.

Talence a Pulsar 26 that I raced against in the late 90 ,s in my F 27 , was quite a bit quicker than my F27 ..

And also had a very workable cruising accomodation for its size .

Also not prone to hobbyhorsing and the quality of the crews was of the same level ..

Happy to see  a design like Libertist appear on the market

Yes; as far as I understand it is an evolvement of Pulsar; there are several similarities. However, Pulsar 23 had minikeels, and 703 has not. The Libertist series have mini foils. They all have raised decks - very flat and good for safety; fixed spade rudders in foils, daggerboard in main hull and rotating carbon mast.

http://erik.lerouge.pagesperso-orange.fr/tri_8.htm

Here is Talence a Pulsar:

pulsar26a.jpg

10 hours ago, Chidz said:

whoa, mine is not that far off stock & it is super easy to deal with from trailer to water - just needs a couple of simple systems to do things & viola. An extra hand to get it out is always useful, but must have been a bitch of a ramp to deal with!

Yah, drought pushed lake level down a couple hundred feet.  10% grade on the ramp.  Don't ever want to do that again.  In retrospect, we shoulda done a beach launch from one of the picnic areas.  

• Like 1