MalahideGreener

Best Offshore Boat Ever?

After the Fastnet, I was thinking about this - who do you think has been the best-ever offshore boat?

Flyer - dominated the offshore scene in late 70's / early 80's

Steinlarger - wins the 1989/1990 Whitbread by winning every leg (and also gets line honours in the Fastnet 1989)

MACIF Ultime - fastest single-handed round the world

IDEC 3 - fastest crewed round the world

WOXII - fantastic record in Sydney-Hobart, but not much else - a flat-track bully?

Commanche - hiolds the monohull 24-hour record, as well as many prestigous line honours.

Groupama/Giacomo /Wizard - Volvo race winner, Sydney-Hobart winner, Mackinac winner and Fastnet winner.

All the above are pretty cool, and worthy of consideration. But for me, it has to be :

Rambler 88 - is there any major race she hasn't won? Best buck for money? Another Juan K winner?

Interested in other opinions.

Cheers

The world did not start in 1979 you know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lydia said:

The world did not start in 1979 you know.

No.  It started in 1968.

1969, my Christian friend assured me the earth is 60 years old.  And I nominate the J44 with the caveat haven't done that much ocean racing but been in some gnarly weather and the 44 was rock solid. The one I used to race on just won a NAs or some such up in Newportlandia or thereabouts.

• Like 1

Groupama 4/Giacomo/Wizard has quite the track record..

6 hours ago, MalahideGreener said:

WOXII - fantastic record in Sydney-Hobart, but not much else - a flat-track bully?

When will it be launched?

Not one boat but the S&S34 family

Even as a 50 year old design it can still compete and complete in major ocean races. In particular these days in Aus, Komatsu Azzurro is very competitive, wins ocean races and whilst it has not won the S2H, it is often in a competitive position against modern yachts.

Infidel!

These lines in a time when offshore boats looked more like 12m class

Large_Ragtime.JPG

Also very partial to Starlight Express, this performance

57186131_406199676828796_582223146948329

With a teak cruiser interior & from the time of 4kt pregnant cow shitboxes

• Like 1

Weird, I was racing on Starlight Express today, was windward leawards and we didn't really have enough crew for the breeze so we pulled out, but it is a very cool boat. It also has the first southern spars mast ever built in it. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hoom said:

Infidel!

These lines in a time when offshore boats looked more like 12m class

Large_Ragtime.JPG

Also very partial to Starlight Express, this performance

57186131_406199676828796_582223146948329

With a teak cruiser interior & from the time of 4kt pregnant cow shitboxes

Both amazing yachts with great offshore credentials. I remember Infidel being launched in Auckland. She was just a Harbour/gulf racer in those days, her offshore career came later in a different part of the world. As a kid in the 1960s, she gave me goosebumps. Still does, over 50 years later.

Not to many 40+ year old racers still going look like this. Remember also went around as Alaskan Eagle.

• Like 2

-2016 Hugo Boss

-Groupama 3/IDEC

-Macif Ultime

-Groupama 4/Giacomo

-Comanche

On 8/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, pshachoy said:

DP 34 hands down

Interesting choice.  Always been partial to the OOD 34 myself.

foot for foot, Groupama 4. heavy air flyer.

wish they'd bring back a boat like the VO70, one-design and a little more durable.

• Like 4

There can never be one answer to this question.  Every boat is a compromise  & every sailor wants something different.

Having said that and with the priority of having the most comfortable trip in the worst offshore conditions, an S&S Swan 44 is not far off the mark.

The greatest Ocean racers for over a hundred years were the mighty Clipper ships.....with records that stood for generations, top speeds and averages that have only recently been matched or beaten....and yes, they "Raced"!!

• Like 3

Sir Peter Blake's Steinlarger 2 - sporting a proper suit of ocean racing sails.

Pity the Sponsor's product taste like shit! Still, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, eh?

Large_TVS12 0281.jpg

It's got to be Groupama 3/Banque Populaire7/Lending Club 2/Idec Sport, right?  Three consecutive RDR wins with different skippers, two Jules Vernes and loads of other records.  That's my pick.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Sir Peter Blake's Steinlarger 2 - sporting a proper suit of ocean racing sails.

Pity the Sponsor's product taste like shit! Still, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, eh?

Large_TVS12 0281.jpg

4 minutes ago, r.finn said:

It's got to be Groupama 3/Banque Populaire7/Lending Club 2/Idec Sport, right?  Three consecutive RDR wins with different skippers, two Jules Vernes and loads of other records.  That's my pick.

Steinlager was amazing corner of the rule and a great Skipper and crew. I remember being in a RIB following them in from miles out. 

Same thing for the Tri, refined and perfected with a great skipper or two over it’s time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mad said:

Steinlager was amazing corner of the rule and a great Skipper and crew. I remember being in a RIB following them in from miles out. 

Same thing for the Tri, refined and perfected with a great skipper or two over it’s time. 

You in this shot?

IMG_20190813_174556243.jpg

• Like 2

Gipsy Moth IV is certainly one of the worst (by Chichester's own estimation)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, See Level said:

You in this shot?

IMG_20190813_174556243.jpg

Yes, Somewhere in that mess.  Was a tough day trying to get pictures and avoid getting run down or swamped. :P

Have you got anymore pictures? mine have all disappeared over the years.

What about Black Betty, the Juan K VO70 that won the 2005-6 Volvo Race as Abn Amro One with Moose, Stan Honey, Brad Jackson etc on board. A step change in ocean racing for fully crewed yachts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, r.finn said:

This is absolutely the case, and I don't see how it is close.  Fastest around crewed multiple times, with quite a few years between.  Single and Crewed dominance.  One-time holder of 24-hour record. 

• Like 1

Finisterre - winner of the Bermuda Race three times in a row, winner at the SORC and just about anything else she entered.  

606C46FF-445E-49E4-87A2-DADB76073022.jpeg

• Like 2

Of course there is also Love and War the early 70's S&S.

Won the Hobart overall 3 times with a 32 year spread (74, 78 & 2006)

And is so pretty that her picture is all there should be in the dictionary under the word yacht!

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 4:30 PM, MalahideGreener said:

After the Fastnet, I was thinking about this - who do you think has been the best-ever offshore boat?

Flyer - dominated the offshore scene in late 70's / early 80's

Steinlarger - wins the 1989/1990 Whitbread by winning every leg (and also gets line honours in the Fastnet 1989)

MACIF Ultime - fastest single-handed round the world

IDEC 3 - fastest crewed round the world

Commanche - hiolds the monohull 24-hour record, as well as many prestigous line honours.

Groupama/Giacomo /Wizard - Volvo race winner, Sydney-Hobart winner, Mackinac winner and Fastnet winner.

All the above are pretty cool, and worthy of consideration. But for me, it has to be :

Rambler 88 - is there any major race she hasn't won? Best buck for money? Another Juan K winner?

Interested in other opinions.

Cheers

Wizard (VO70) didn't race in the Mackinac, that was the IRC 69 ex-Bella Mente II out of USMMA

On 8/11/2019 at 4:26 PM, Raptorsailor said:

-2016 Hugo Boss

Why? One of the foils blew off, the boat was quick but how much of that was VPLP and how much of that was Alex? What was the first IMOCA designed to foil from the keel up, Safran?

Throwing my hat in for Dorade. Transat, Transpac, Bermuda, Fastnet winner, designed, built, and sailed by a couple twentysomethings. Damn impressive.

17 hours ago, mad said:

Yes, Somewhere in that mess.  Was a tough day trying to get pictures and avoid getting run down or swamped. :P

Have you got anymore pictures? mine have all disappeared over the years.

Mad I'm not sure Whistler made copies :-)

That race seems so long ago.

Note that pic is Southend Pier in the Thames Estuary. Goes for ever.

15 hours ago, Chimp too said:

What about Black Betty, the Juan K VO70 that won the 2005-6 Volvo Race as Abn Amro One with Moose, Stan Honey, Brad Jackson etc on board. A step change in ocean racing for fully crewed yachts.

I always loved that boat, one of the sweetest that ever floated.

3 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Throwing my hat in for Dorade. Transat, Transpac, Bermuda, Fastnet winner, designed, built, and sailed by a couple twentysomethings. Damn impressive.

Yes, indeed.  Remarkable boat, and still racing (and winning too.)

For me the S&S maxi Kialoa III, especially when still ketch rigged.  She won all over the planet, and sailed from regatta to regatta on her own bottom.  She set the standard for IOR maxis in the late 70s.   Jim Kilroy was responsible for getting more of us young studs into big boat racing than anyone else.  RIP.

Image result for kialoa III ketch

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Of course there is also Love and War the early 70's S&S.

Won the Hobart overall 3 times with a 32 year spread (74, 78 & 2006)

And is so pretty that her picture is all there should be in the dictionary under the word yacht!

IMG_1175.thumb.JPG.8fcfb8365de0c897663b6585a5819919.JPG

• Like 3

"Mad I'm not sure Whistler made copies :-)"

Hey Jack,  I'm not that old!;)

I'll have to dig for more photos.

• Like 1

I'd throw a tip of the hat to Ceramco New Zealand.  Great offshore boat, competitive across a spectrum of race-courses and eras, well-mannered and fast.

Plus a good example of the "mini-maxi" trend that took off in earnest for a few years.

$.02

• Like 1

The boat we all forgot...the one that really started it all and changed the face of yacht racing. 

The CAL 40

BBCAD0AF-3C5D-492F-873F-FADC4E1141C6.jpeg

• Like 3

On 8/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, ASP said:

Groupama 4/Giacomo/Wizard has quite the track record..

Success ratio all owners V race rankings V boat age V money spent/value for money.

Groupama 4/Giacomo/Wizard pretty hard to beat.

Podcast with owner(s) post Fasnet.

https://sailjuice.podbean.com/e/how-wizard-won-the-fastnet-race-with-winner-david-askew/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Success ratio all owners V race rankings V boat age V money spent/value for money.

https://sailjuice.podbean.com/e/how-wizard-won-the-fastnet-race-with-winner-david-askew/

Talk about value for money Wizard has been. Cost Millions to make for the Volvo this would have been picked up relatively cheap for length/performance. It sails above it's weight nipping at the heals of Rambler and Scallywag and has been winning on handicap. This is a recycled ocean racer for all intensive purposes. A bit like the TP52's bought to race IRC and the Hobart. Well sailed boat obviously because it left the Imoca 60's and Volvo 65's for dead in the Fastnet..

Now that's a nice metric, the cost-to-win ratio.

Hard to beat Iromiguy in this field, I guess:

Iro%20cowes_f.jpg

Nicholson 33, won Fastnet 2005 and still wins races in La Manche.

But I'm with Team Dorade, overall...

Groupama-Wizard.

Hell of a boat.  But best Offshore boat ever?

320G4pic.jpg

GroupamaElevation.jpg

Groupbow1.jpg

• Like 2

Hard to pinpoint a best. But here goes my list.

Groupama 3 (plus all all other names)

Macif/SMA Imoca 

JPK 1080 

Cookson 50

Commanche

10 hours ago, Whinging Pom said:

Myth of Malham

rorc-history-myth-of-malham-yacht-700.jp

Not to forget Revolution

The Finot revolution.jpg

YESSSS for Myth.  Illingworth pretty well re-defined the offshore racing yacht in the 40s. 

And YESSSS for Revolution.  Or Revolootion after they were made to put a fixed head in her.  Jean-Louis Fabry was the most excellent Channel navigator, and as a result hauled in a huge mound of RORC silverware over the years.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 12:18 PM, Santana20AE said:

Finisterre - winner of the Bermuda Race three times in a row, winner at the SORC and just about anything else she entered.  

606C46FF-445E-49E4-87A2-DADB76073022.jpeg

Ah yes CCA yawls with huge LP's 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 8:33 PM, sledracr said:

I'd throw a tip of the hat to Ceramco New Zealand.  Great offshore boat, competitive across a spectrum of race-courses and eras, well-mannered and fast.

Plus a good example of the "mini-maxi" trend that took off in earnest for a few years.

$.02

Ceramco was the first centrefold I had on my wall. A super shot of her in fiordland whilst raising funds on a promotional tour around nz - and training her crew.

But... she was way too heavy. Blake used her as a datum of what not to do when he designed Steinie II. Ceramco was a great offshore boat for the crew - but not in the shortlist for g.o.a.t. by results.

I

19 minutes ago, HFC Hunter said:

Ceramco was the first centrefold I had on my wall. A super shot of her in fiordland whilst raising funds on a promotional tour around nz - and training her crew.

But... she was way too heavy. Blake used her as a datum of what not to do when he designed Steinie II. Ceramco was a great offshore boat for the crew - but not in the shortlist for g.o.a.t. by results.

I believe you are confusing her with Lion. Lion was a big heavy powerful boat but the race threw up a lot of light air so she suffered. Ceramco was a weapon, light enough she threw her rig over in the Whitbred, hence the bulletproof Lion. 

Lessions learned from all his Whitbreds culminated in Steinlager II which dominated. 

• Like 2

Sailed on the  S&S Stormy Weather she was quick and  sea kind.

But give me a Swan 65, and I'll go anywhere anytime, half the boats listed would be matchsticks compared to the beating a 65 will endure.

Sailed on a few,:

Jaguar of Hamble

Victoria of Strathearn

Beja Flor

Desperado

Corviglia III

Evrika

Saida

are the ones I recall,  there were lots of other Swans 44,46, 48 55 , 651,  76,  but for me,  the S&S 65 was the best.

• Like 2

Got to be the Russian 800million 400 foot triple master?  Anything else is not suitable for big offshore waves ;)

6 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

But give me a Swan 65, and I'll go anywhere anytime, half the boats listed would be matchsticks compared to the beating a 65 will endure.

Sailed on a few,:

Jaguar of Hamble

Victoria of Strathearn

Beja Flor

Desperado

Corviglia III

Evrika

Saida

are the ones I recall,  there were lots of other Swans 44,46, 48 55 , 651,  76,  but for me,  the S&S 65 was the best.

That list brings back memories. 

9 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

I

I believe you are confusing her with Lion. Lion was a big heavy powerful boat but the race threw up a lot of light air so she suffered. Ceramco was a weapon, light enough she threw her rig over in the Whitbred, hence the bulletproof Lion. 

Lessions learned from all his Whitbreds culminated in Steinlager II which dominated. 

Yip. Opps. Thanks! (Lion was the next pinup.) Ceramco dropping her rig seemed part of the reasoning Lion was so solid. Pendulum swung back for Steinlager. The Ceramco pinup came from Seaspray and I remember it as like this one, but looking back at her with full koru showing.

AF20CDF5-06CB-42D6-A970-3F17343E8942.jpeg

1 hour ago, dachopper said:

Got to be the Russian 800million 400 foot triple master?  Anything else is not suitable for big offshore waves ;)

Has anyone in the world seen that wet dream actually sail?

Apparently.

sailingyachta-1.jpg

10 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Sailed on a few,:

Jaguar of Hamble

Victoria of Strathearn

Beja Flor

Desperado

Corviglia III

Evrika

Saida

I agree.  Magic boats.  If I had the dosh I'd buy one tomorrow and just bugger off round the planet. The ketches especially are lovely to sail short-handed.  When it's really honking, get the main and jib down and stowed, and go with staysail and mizzen: "jib and jigger".  With the staysail sheet led aft to the steering cockpit, and both runners made up hard, tacking was a breeze.  And you can go through almost anything, especially to windward.

For me, many in your list plus Tangaroa, Xargo, King's Legend, and a couple in the Med whose names I can't remember.

And let's not forget Sayula II that won the first Witless Round The Bend race.

Perhaps I should add to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_65 wiki page with a list of the hull numbers and names.  Hmmm... a winter project?

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

I agree.  Magic boats.  If I had the dosh I'd buy one tomorrow and just bugger off round the planet. The ketches especially are lovely to sail short-handed.  When it's really honking, get the main and jib down and stowed, and go with staysail and mizzen: "jib and jigger".  With the staysail sheet led aft to the steering cockpit, and both runners made up hard, tacking was a breeze.  And you can go through almost anything, especially to windward.

For me, many in your list plus Tangaroa, Xargo, King's Legend, and a couple in the Med whose names I can't remember.

And let's not forget Sayula II that won the first Witless Round The Bend race.

Perhaps I should add to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_65 wiki page with a list of the hull numbers and names.  Hmmm... a winter project?

Totally agree, if I had the dosh I'd be going too, remove myself from all the daily trump drama and revert to a simpler life.

Jib and jigger is a nice balanced sailplan in a blow and those friggin staysails were bulletproof!

Carried that set up on one where we beat or brains out for 5 days  in 55 knots trying to get to the Canaries (because of course  the owner had a flight to catch) in the end we gave up and headed back to GIb, we were back and tied up 19 hours later.

My only criticism would be the genoa tacks were a little to far inboard for most tradewinds sailing , we often barber-hauled off the toe rail to open things up.

Fun times

On 8/16/2019 at 12:42 AM, jack_sparrow said:

and it's a juan k , go figure.

13 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Totally agree, if I had the dosh I'd be going too, remove myself from all the daily trump drama and revert to a simpler life.

Jib and jigger is a nice balanced sailplan in a blow and those friggin staysails were bulletproof!

Carried that set up on one where we beat or brains out for 5 days  in 55 knots trying to get to the Canaries (because of course  the owner had a flight to catch) in the end we gave up and headed back to GIb, we were back and tied up 19 hours later.

My only criticism would be the genoa tacks were a little to far inboard for most tradewinds sailing , we often barber-hauled off the toe rail to open things up.

Fun times

Fuck, that sounds familiar. :lol:

We ended up back in Cartagena, Gib and Vilamoura trying to get there one year. I ended up getting a plane and flying of to do another job. 

Got a pasting all the way from Palma on that trip. 

Monohulls that set a new agenda while winning on the ocean:

Dorade

S&S 34

Cal 40  

Infidel/Ragtime 

Myth of Malham

Windward Passage

TP52

Cookson 50

Groupama

IIRC, even the designer calls her "sail assisted", not a full sailboat.

3 hours ago, dachopper said:

Enough with this nonsense. Let's get serious. Kind of.

5915c4f9359f9a864e9eafba9dea753f.jpg

Vendredi 13. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matagi said:

Enough with this nonsense. Let's get serious. Kind of.

5915c4f9359f9a864e9eafba9dea753f.jpg

Vendredi 13. 

Single spreader and an in-line rig with no check stays?  What was the wall thickness of those masts? 

Then again, they never put mainsails up did they. So...The whole thing relies on the twin mizzen backstays or you lose all three?   

If you look carefully all masts have fore & aft lowers. Only the pair of backstays, tho.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:01 AM, d'ranger said:

1969, my Christian friend assured me the earth is 60 years old.  And I nominate the J44 with the caveat haven't done that much ocean racing but been in some gnarly weather and the 44 was rock solid. The one I used to race on just won a NAs or some such up in Newportlandia or thereabouts.

100%. Bullet proof, not unlike the Swans discussed above.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:56 PM, Santana20AE said:

The boat we all forgot...the one that really started it all and changed the face of yacht racing. 

The CAL 40

BBCAD0AF-3C5D-492F-873F-FADC4E1141C6.jpeg

Amen. Sinn Fein still lives at Raritan Yacht Club and has had an incredible series of wins in the Newport Bermuda Race.

43 minutes ago, gn4478 said:

Amen. Sinn Fein still lives at Raritan Yacht Club and has had an incredible series of wins in the Newport Bermuda Race.

Still by far the worst named boat in history. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daan62 said:

Flyer II

Image result for flyer 2 boat

Now those young bowmen are what spinnaker poles are supposed to look like!

1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

Fuck those young bowmen, I am graduating from the bow and will claim my spot under that dodger, with a hot chocolate and a dram of whisky in it. 

1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

...what spinnaker poles are supposed to look like!

Spinnaker poles like those are why I have screws and pins in both wrists, and joint pain in all my fingers... but I wouldn’t trade the miles on those kinda bows for anything.  

3 hours ago, TUBBY said:

I'm picturing some pretty strange looking spinnaker poles! Commas... 

Not a best boat, lots of great ones.

Haven't seen Windward Passage yet on the lists..

If I had unlimited funds Windward Passage would be pretty high on my list. If I needed to reduce the running cost, i.e. less crew maybe a Gun Boat or that new 53 Eagle sounds pretty cool. But, Windward is the epitome of Class Acts.

49 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Not a best boat, lots of great ones.

Haven't seen Windward Passage yet on the lists..

See Post #64. 

Perhaps the best ever, certainly the coolest of it's era.  The first taste of dinghy hull form coming into the big boats. 

I remember her blasting back downwind past us on her way to the barn on the famous Molokai Channel race in '81 in the middle of the night.  Saw red and green on our bow pop up on a wave, then again closer, then passing like a ghost a couple of hundred feet to weather at 20+ and then the stern light once before disappearing in the waves.  Scary cool.  

Just the whale on the transom was enough to identify her.   

th.jpeg

• Like 1

As has been noted above the current IDEC has a wonderful record, 3 RDR, 2 JV and gets my vote for current boats no contest. But time didn't start ten years ago so how do you compare to the likes of Suhaili, Joshua, Gipsy Moth IV... which all were magnificent in their own ways as well. 

• Like 1

I'm going to say Finisterre just because she obviously crossed-over to the non-sailing media. 

Just to play devil's advocate, and the title doesn't mention sail.... Image result for north sea trawler

Offshore fishing boats are pretty well adapted. 

• Like 1

Pier Pressure and Mimsy 

• Like 1

Surprised there’s all this love for Groupama 4. Yes it was successful but not transformative. I’d argue that ABN Amro 2 was the first 70 to hit the reachy fast corner of offshore sailing design. That was the boat that gave rise to the mindset behind Speedboat, Comanche, Rambler88  and all the 70s who followed. 

23 minutes ago, Brian M. said:

Cuz I’m biased...

F23F2037-6277-4DE0-961D-86A9E4E114BF.jpeg

I'd love to agree, but she only goes REALLY fast in one direction. windward passage on the other hand did them all really well for a long time.

p.s. what a great photo!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Whats she like in 55 kts uphill, do you levitate in the bunks?

On those boats, you always sleep feet-forward, not head-forward.  That way when the bow digs in and everything stops in a hurry, your feet hit the ring frame first, not your bonce.