dew

Woman dead after power boat collides with sailboat in Narragansett Bay

Recommended Posts

USCG says there are no rules out there.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/08/11/woman-dead-sailboat-and-powerboat-collide-newport-bridge-rhode-island/nsA1t65kvzl1CF2jkeraON/story.html

A 60-year-old woman died Sunday when she was thrown from a two-person catamaran sailboat participating in a regatta after the vessel and a powerboat collided near Newport Bridge in Rhode Island, the state’s Department of Environmental Management said.

The bridge connects Newport and Jamestown.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Daniel Latimer said the powerboat apparently ran over the woman at about 2:45 p.m. in Narragansett Bay, and the propellers severely lacerated her.

“She was unconscious and bleeding when the Newport harbormaster pulled her out of the harbor,” Latimer said. “They started CPR and were trying to revive her.”

No other injuries were reported, he said



The powerboat was operated by a couple who were out on the water “enjoying their day.”

Latimer said no rules dictate how far vessels must stay away from each other, only “common courtesy.”

The sailboat was racing in the New England 100 Regatta, the Department of Environmental Management said. The woman was killed during the North American Catamaran Racing Association’s New England chapter regatta.

Latimer said that he did not know whether any charges would be brought, as that was not the Coast Guard’s responsibility.

The Department of Environmental Managementis leading the investigation of the crash. The local police and fire departments are assisting.

The Newport Police Department did not respond to requests for comment late Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Latimer said no rules dictate how far vessels must stay away from each other, only “common courtesy.”

 

What!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wonder how often these silly kuntz maim and kill marine life with the spinning blades hanging off the bottom.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

I always wonder how often these silly kuntz maim and kill marine life with the spinning blades hanging off the bottom.

 

oh for fuck's sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

oh for fuck's sake.

fuck you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, r.finn said:

"Latimer said no rules dictate how far vessels must stay away from each other, only “common courtesy.”

 

What!

Obviously you can just stack them..

 

Seriously though, i thought unimpaired motor vessels always have to make room for vessels under sail. Or is that unAmerican?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, r.finn said:

"Latimer said no rules dictate how far vessels must stay away from each other, only “common courtesy.”

 

What!

Ok, but obviously making contact is "zero" distance, so culpability must be determined and a penalty applied. I have only the highest praise for the USCG but they are dropping the ball on this one.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any moron can use a power boat case in point go to Miami Fl.It's really amazing more people are not killed this way.Very sad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our state has a regulation against reckless operation. To be sure there is such a rule.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Troglodytarum said:

pot meet kettle

Stick to what you know, truck driving!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Our state has a regulation against reckless operation. To be sure there is such a rule.

 

One of my best friends was killed by being run down in a small sailboat by a motorboater. The motorboater was never charged.

Don't expect justice.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2009 a friends child was KILLED by the US Coast Guard in San Diego Bay during 4th of July.   33ft USCG boat was doing 42 fucking knots - speeding through a crowded anchorage and ran them the fuck over.  They were speeding to respond to a fucking boat stuck in the mud.    Let's floor it through all these stationary boats and save the mud stricken vessel that was in no danger.  Guy served a whopping 3 months for killing an 8 year old boy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope it wasn't Rick Bliss and his crew. Rick is like the Chuck Norris of small catamaran racing but not much one can do against an idiot in a powerboat. All the times he has done that race the odds are against him. Still no ID made in the news. Wess, can you PM me if you have details?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Stick to what you know, truck driving!  

Not a big truck I hope.

Those take some intelligence to operate safely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Not a big truck I hope.

Those take some intelligence to operate safely.

You are absolutely correct, let's hope it was made by Tonka.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Hope it wasn't Rick Bliss and his crew. Rick is like the Chuck Norris of small catamaran racing but not much one can do against an idiot in a powerboat. All the times he has done that race the odds are against him. Still no ID made in the news. Wess, can you PM me if you have details?

Rasp, tried to pm you but couldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ryley said:

Rasp, tried to pm you but couldn't.

I cleared out some space in my mailbox, please try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wpbeardsley said:

There's a post on the US F-18 Class Facebook page about this, including the name of the victim. 

Got a link?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Stick to what you know, truck driving pounding sand up your ass!  

FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picture of the motor boat.  Being hip towed by Newport harbor master to the launching ramp at Fort Adams.IMG_1820.jpeg.3213998ec93c261fca42429a68e2947e.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody aboard @ Last....looking at that I wonder

1) if there are any criminal charges about to be filed and

2) if any laws were being broken at the time of the collision and

3) if alcohol or drugs were involved and

4) if insurance will cover any portion of that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How sad for all involved. Careless tragedy.

I've had a speed boat zoom over my head in 15' of water scuba diving a shallow reef off Lauderdale by the Sea. Our dive signal device was cut and the line got caught in their prop shaft; my dive buddy got yanked to the surface and dragged. I shudder to think how horrible that sailing incident must have been.

My sincere sympathies to her friends and family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

How sad for all involved. Careless tragedy.

I've had a speed boat zoom over my head in 15' of water scuba diving a shallow reef off Lauderdale by the Sea. Our dive signal device was cut and the line got caught in their prop shaft; my dive buddy got yanked to the surface and dragged. I shudder to think how horrible that sailing incident must have been.

My sincere sympathies to her friends and family.

yup.

happened to me too off boynton.  luckily my smb and reel were just ripped out of my hands.  big sport fisher.  thank go I was still at my safety stop and not on the surface. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

How sad for all involved. Careless tragedy.

I've had a speed boat zoom over my head in 15' of water scuba diving a shallow reef off Lauderdale by the Sea. Our dive signal device was cut and the line got caught in their prop shaft; my dive buddy got yanked to the surface and dragged. I shudder to think how horrible that sailing incident must have been.

My sincere sympathies to her friends and family.

I was swimming Eula Johnson/von Mizell State Park the past couple days.
Apparently they now issue tickets to swimmers who are not towing a flag.

Hopefully they also issue tickets to boaters that run over flags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless a sailboater was negligent in some way (inebriated, reckless operation, negligent operation) isn't this situation akin to being rear-ended and liability clear?   And if I rear-ended someone and killed them would not vehicular homicide become an issue?

Without clear consequences this continuous negligence will not stop.

Geez...before it happens again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Finland the accident is investigated as gross negligent homicide. The maximum sentence is 6 years jail, but most likely much less and may even be conditional (doesn't need to go to jail unless makes other serious crimes later). If not seen as gross, maximum is 2 years (most likely less and conditional) and minimum just a fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coast guard investigation report due out by the end of the week.  It's Friday. Has the news shared the report yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ryecatsailor said:

Coast guard investigation report due out by the end of the week.  It's Friday. Has the news shared the report yet?

I haven't seen anything yet.  I thought that it was the RI DEM that was conducting the investigation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ryecatsailor said:

Coast guard investigation report due out by the end of the week.  It's Friday. Has the news shared the report yet?

Let's hope the investigation report is a little more substantial than the announcement to the press "there are no laws covering this kind of thing" (or words to that effect, WTF)

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never believe what some hack reporter writes about any incident. They always get everything wrong, not just the details. 

There will be some culpability as far as the law goes, but the big deal will be the civil suit that will ensue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Let's hope the investigation report is a little more substantial than the announcement to the press "there are no laws covering this kind of thing" (or words to that effect, WTF)

FB- Doug

 

4 minutes ago, Squalamax said:

Never believe what some hack reporter writes about any incident. They always get everything wrong, not just the details. 

There will be some culpability as far as the law goes, but the big deal will be the civil suit that will ensue. 

 

It's a two way street. A petty officer has no business opining to the press about col reg or incidents without a PAO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Just A Skosh said:

I haven't seen anything yet.  I thought that it was the RI DEM that was conducting the investigation?

Correct, from the RI DEM website:

"DEM's Division of Law Enforcement (DLE) is investigating the incident, which is pending an autopsy, reconstruction, and witness statements. DEM has no timeframe on the investigation but will release a preliminary report later this week. DEM has no further information at this time and will not comment on an ongoing investigation."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update 8/19/2019

 

https://www.newportri.com/news/20190818/probe-into-fatal-boat-crash-on-narragansett-bay-needs-more-time

 

The Department of Environmental Management’s investigation surrounding the death of Sandra G. Taraglino, 60, of Tiverton could take weeks, an official told The Daily News.

NEWPORT — The chief public affairs officer for the Department of Environmental Management, the agency investigating the fatal Aug. 11 collision of a powerboat and sailboat on Narragansett Bay, said Sunday he “misjudged the timing” when he issued a statement Aug. 12 that promised a preliminary report of the investigation into the crash later that week.

shouldn’t have said DEM would be issuing any details [that] week. Our investigation still is in the very early going and it’s going to be a matter of some weeks before we’re through. Our officers still have witnesses to interview and accident reconstruction to conduct,” Michael Healey told The Daily News on Sunday.

The DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement is investigating the boat crash that killed Sandra G. Tartaglino, 60, of Tiverton. Asked if the DEM is conducting the investigation in conjunction with other agencies, like the Rhode Island State Police, Healey said it’s “only DEM’s investigation. By law DEM investigates boating fatalities in Rhode Island.”

“The [DEM] Division [of Law Enforcement] is responsible for conducting investigations of all boating accidents that result in personal injury, death, or severe property damage and to prosecute all cases of reckless operation that result in injury, death, or property damage,” according to the DEM website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the heck do you run over a boat in clear settled daylight conditions, kill somebody, and not be arrested and facing charges???

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wess said:

How the heck do you run over a boat in clear settled daylight conditions, kill somebody, and not be arrested and facing charges???

Same contributing factors as mass shooters of a certain ethnicity getting arrested and taken alive but someone selling stuff on the side of the street can get put into an illegal chokehold and die. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wess said:

How the heck do you run over a boat in clear settled daylight conditions, kill somebody, and not be arrested and facing charges???

When you name is Kennedy. Carries a lot of weight in those parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Same contributing factors as mass shooters of a certain ethnicity getting arrested and taken alive but someone selling stuff on the side of the street can get put into an illegal chokehold and die. 

Take it to PA...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sail69 said:

Take it to PA...

My apologies - it is as obvious as all the powerboaters out there with open containers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, sail69 said:
1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Same contributing factors as mass shooters of a certain ethnicity getting arrested and taken alive but someone selling stuff on the side of the street can get put into an illegal chokehold and die. 

Take it to PA...

I believe he was just commenting on the obvious double standard.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sailor's lives matter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone mentioned Perdock above.  If you really want to get fried, google that travesty of justice and small town politics in Lake County, Ca.  Keep digging and you'll be appalled that he was trying to become mayor after running over a sailor at night at ~50 mph.  Latitude 38 did a lot of reporting on it.

My condolences to Sandra's family.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wess said:

How the heck do you run over a boat in clear settled daylight conditions, kill somebody, and not be arrested and facing charges???

They belong to the right yacht club, perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Someone mentioned Perdock above.  If you really want to get fried, google that travesty of justice and small town politics in Lake County, Ca.  Keep digging and you'll be appalled that he was trying to become mayor after running over a sailor at night at ~50 mph.  Latitude 38 did a lot of reporting on it.

My condolences to Sandra's family.  

Actually, Perdock did become mayor of Clearlake for 2 years and now is a councilman of the town and seems highly qualified and regarded in that position.

https://www.record-bee.com/2019/06/06/russell-perdock-appointed-as-city-council-member/

“According to Mayor Russ Cremer, ‘While we had excellent candidates, the Council voted unanimously to appoint Russ Perdock due to his previous experience and leadership on the Council. We have many projects to complete as City Council and Mr. Perdock was chosen for his ability to hit the ground running.’”

Or hit a sailboat,  run away and then try and blame it on the sailboat skipper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From RI website

 

Safe navigation on Rhode Island waterways is everyone’s responsibility. All operators are equally responsible for taking action as necessary to avoid collisions.

Encountering Other Vessels


Even though no vessel has the “right-of-way” over another vessel, there are some rules that every operator should follow when encountering other vessels. It is the responsibility of both operators to take the action needed to avoid a collision. See Navigation Rules for what to do when encountering another vessel.

To prevent collisions, every operator should follow the three basic rules of navigation.

  • Practice good seamanship.
  • Keep a sharp lookout.
  • Maintain a safe speed and distance.

Encountering Vessels With Limited Maneuverability

When operating a power-driven vessel, you must give way to:

  • Any vessel not under command, such as an anchored or disabled vessel
  • Any vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver, such as a vessel towing another or laying cable, or one constrained by its draft, such as a large ship in a channel
  • A vessel engaged in commercial fishing
  • A sailboat under sail unless it is overtaking

When operating a vessel under sail, you must give way to:

  • Any vessel not under command
  • Any vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver
  • A vessel engaged in commercial fishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bruno said:

No ID on motorboater?

Yeah, If I ran a boat over someone I would expect to be named on the news?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is maddening... B.S. The motor boat driver should be named, too , at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bruno said:

So they've laid her to rest but won't name the guy who killed her?

I believe otherwise, and logic dictates so, but it is possible that "blame" is shared in some, probably small, manner.

The authorities just probably don't want to name names until they have the whole uncontroverted and irrefutable story laid out so as to avoid speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Blame is shared", i.e. an accident, the only possibility I can imagine for that is if the motorboat lost sight of the cat as it transited the bridge or if they tacked or turned suddenly when an inattentive observer wasnt expecting it. Otherwise, it was 2:45 PM on a clear sunny day, a fleet of relatively large cats sailing to and around large brightly colored marks, the only reason for the collision is negligence.

Generally, when there is a fatal collision all parties are named. In this case they don't even identify the type much less name of the other vessel. That's odd. Also odd isthe initial statement from the CG that there are no rules (of the road) governing keeping a safe distance. Not only is this contrary to what the rest of the world thinks but it sounds like preemptive rationalization for why a motorboat (the give way vessel in all cases except if being overtaken, under the RotR) not only failed to give way but also to keep clear in a safe seamanlike manner in a wide, open estuary with clearly marked deep channels. That the motorboat not only collided with but ran over the sailboat sufficient to cut up the deceased speaks to a relatively high speed sudden impact rather than a glancing blow, in all likelihood.

So sounds hinky and the lack of a public statement by the other sailor aboard is also odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a lawyer but I am puzzled by claims that "no vessel has right of way" when the rule language is highly prescriptive. 

"The rules come from the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions 
at Sea (COLREGS), with which the U.S. regulations are consistent. Following are the basic rules that apply to all 
sailboats in U.S. waters.
Whenever two boats come close to each other, the rules designate one as the stand-on vessel and the other as the 
give-way vessel. The rules are designed to prevent a situation like two people walking toward each other on a 
sidewalk who both step out each other's way in the same direction and thus run into each other. The stand-on 
vessel must continue on its course and the give-way vessel must turn away to avoid collision. "

MUST.

"A commonly held misconception concerning the rules of marine navigation is that by following specific rules, a vessel can gain certain rights of way over other vessels.[14] No vessel ever has absolute "right of way" over other vessels. Rather, there can be a "give way" (burdened) vessel and a "stand on" (privileged) vessel, or there may be two give way vessels with no stand on vessel. A stand on vessel does not have an absolute right of way over any give way vessel, for if there is a risk of collision, a stand on vessel may still be obliged (under Rule 2 and Rule 17) to give way so as to avoid it, if doing so will be effective and is practicable.[15][16] Two power-driven vessels approaching each other head-to-head, are both deemed to be "give way" and both are required to alter course so as to avoid colliding with the other. Neither vessel has "right of way".[17]" Wikipedia

So there is no absolute RoW but the burdened vessel must give way. Confusing perhaps but the idea is that the onus is on both to avoid collision though the burdened vessel must give way. If the burdened vessel doesn't the stand on vessel should. But the original onus is clearly on the give way vessel. He needs to prove, I imagine, that he altered course in a seamanlike manner in the event of a collision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a sailor, yea I want the head of the power boater on a pike, but it isn't always that simple.

Hypothetical situation:  The power boat is chugging along at 5 kts, with open water in front of them.  The cat fleet is approaching from the stern on a reaching leg at a higher rate of speed.

The woman is out on the trap, thinking she has room to just clear the stern of the power boat, when a wave, puff of wind, mental lapse, whatever causes her to physically hit the stern of the boat, dropping her into the prop.

The power boat never knew she was coming and as the over taken boat should have been maintaining course and speed.

Who’s at fault?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     I'm guessing here that the woman was at the helm of the racing cat as she certainly has done so many times in competition in the past. Double trapping was probably the case too from the winds reported at the time. Not like her to overtake and run into the powerboat. Those tall towers supporting the bridge could surely hide either boat from the other until the last moment. I've raced through that bridge and there are strong countercurrents when there is any tide change. In a light air race I was able to find a current shadow directly in line of one of the bridge towers  and 50' away our competition was fighting the current streaming through the open part of the bridge. We sailed directly at the bridge tower going a couple of knots faster in the counter current and then 'changed lanes' at the last moment and you can imagine how that 'kink' in our course would have appeared as we passed from one current to the other to another boat. An oblique approach to the bridge could have had this sort of effect on either of both boats in this case. There are few boats more nimble and quick that a F18 cat out on the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, Tiger1116 said:

From RI website

 

Safe navigation on Rhode Island waterways is everyone’s responsibility. All operators are equally responsible for taking action as necessary to avoid collisions.

Encountering Other Vessels


Even though no vessel has the “right-of-way” over another vessel, there are some rules that every operator should follow when encountering other vessels. It is the responsibility of both operators to take the action needed to avoid a collision. See Navigation Rules for what to do when encountering another vessel.

To prevent collisions, every operator should follow the three basic rules of navigation.

  • Practice good seamanship.
  • Keep a sharp lookout.
  • Maintain a safe speed and distance.

Encountering Vessels With Limited Maneuverability

When operating a power-driven vessel, you must give way to:

  • Any vessel not under command, such as an anchored or disabled vessel
  • Any vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver, such as a vessel towing another or laying cable, or one constrained by its draft, such as a large ship in a channel
  • A vessel engaged in commercial fishing
  • A sailboat under sail unless it is overtaking

When operating a vessel under sail, you must give way to:

  • Any vessel not under command
  • Any vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver
  • A vessel engaged in commercial fishing

The Rhode Island website's attempt to summarize the COLREGs/IRR into this short, "Tweet" format is very poor and I feel, adds needless confusion.  People simply refuse to accept the fact that good seamanship cannot be summed up in a laminated reference card that you keep attached to the ignition key of the boat.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bruno said:

"Blame is shared", i.e. an accident, the only possibility I can imagine for that is if the motorboat lost sight of the cat as it transited the bridge or if they tacked or turned suddenly when an inattentive observer wasnt expecting it. Otherwise, it was 2:45 PM on a clear sunny day, a fleet of relatively large cats sailing to and around large brightly colored marks, the only reason for the collision is negligence.

 

My best guess is that the power boat operator was trolling off the back or facing the stern and unaware of whatever was going on with the cat. Otherwise it's hard to conceive of how the power boat did not see/was unaware of what was in front of them.

Or maybe the power boat had just pulled a U-turn and did not see that the cat had also just jibed or tacked, putting them on a collision course.

Easy to speculate, the witness statements will reveal the actual sequence of events. Unless it's a kennedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Parma said:

I believe otherwise, and logic dictates so, but it is possible that "blame" is shared in some, probably small, manner.

The authorities just probably don't want to name names until they have the whole uncontroverted and irrefutable story laid out so as to avoid speculation.

Serious investigation - so good that they are taking there time.

We were 5 mins ahead of Sandra and Alex. We didn't see the accident or even know about it until we were on shore.  But we had just sailed that leg and it was Starboard tack close reach with very manageable breeze - no reason to be tacking or gybing on that part of the course.   I believe I heard that they were not double trapping.  I saw that the powerboat hit the F18 on the inside of the stern of the windward hull.

I'm not a witness and don't know what happened, but with the facts I saw I would be very hesitant to speculate about shared culpability.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cbulger said:

 I saw that the powerboat hit the F18 on the inside of the stern of the windward hull.

That's certainly not a good look for the PB'er

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living on a lake in North Louisiana that has the best winds in the area but also has the reputation of being one of the very best Black Bass Lakes in the nation, I have this to relate.

We like to watch the Thursday Night Bass Tournament Blast Off from our Santana.  It is a race of power boats where most are capable of 80mph and doing thier dangest to do it.  If one enjoys races, it is a good one, if a bit short.  

One evening, wanting to get a bit closer, I sailed within a half mile of the start.  Brenda (whose job whether racing or cruising is to keep track of the boats around us) noted that one boat was heading straight for us.  When she gave me this warning, I stated that with a mast that is 31 feet above the waterline, on a boat carrying full sails, THERE WAS NO WAY he could miss not seeing us.

Then Brenda reminded me that the sun was directly behind us and Directly in his eyes.  I tacked to get out of his way.  He was a good skipper and saw us and never steered close to us.

The point, We may think we are large and hard to miss, but light and other factors can make even a large craft, hard to see.  If Brenda had not been so vigilant, and the opposing skipper / Fisherman had been worriying about his fishing and not on his skippering, y’all might have been talking about us (in the PAST Tense) a few years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cbulger said:

Serious investigation - so good that they are taking there time.

We were 5 mins ahead of Sandra and Alex. We didn't see the accident or even know about it until we were on shore.  But we had just sailed that leg and it was Starboard tack close reach with very manageable breeze - no reason to be tacking or gybing on that part of the course.   I believe I heard that they were not double trapping.  I saw that the powerboat hit the F18 on the inside of the stern of the windward hull.

I'm not a witness and don't know what happened, but with the facts I saw I would be very hesitant to speculate about shared culpability.

Thank you for that. F18 is very visible, big rig, if they weren't 2 stringing then she was sitting near the point of impact, sounds like PB was overtaking at more 15 kns, really not sure what's left to say but he will have his version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS at 2:45 headed north not sure how the sun could be in his eyes. I recently drove a 45 PB with twin 325s for a couple of weeks, I was very conscious of my blind spots when the bow was up and also mindful of the need for a vigilant lookout when doing 35 kn in crowded coastal waters. It goes with the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be giving it the Bill Barr due diligence investigation designed to keep the driver's name out of sight as long as possible, hoping to muffle the outcry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does have all the hallmarks of a well connected perp.

Any bets the name is released late on Nov 27. When most peoples’ thoughts have moved on from boating by the time everyone has recovered from Turkey and Black Friday the news will be pretty well buried.

Shades of Perdock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 12:12 PM, Santana20AE said:

Living on a lake in North Louisiana that has the best winds in the area but also has the reputation of being one of the very best Black Bass Lakes in the nation, I have this to relate.

We like to watch the Thursday Night Bass Tournament Blast Off from our Santana.  It is a race of power boats where most are capable of 80mph and doing thier dangest to do it.  If one enjoys races, it is a good one, if a bit short.  

One evening, wanting to get a bit closer, I sailed within a half mile of the start.  Brenda (whose job whether racing or cruising is to keep track of the boats around us) noted that one boat was heading straight for us.  When she gave me this warning, I stated that with a mast that is 31 feet above the waterline, on a boat carrying full sails, THERE WAS NO WAY he could miss not seeing us.

Then Brenda reminded me that the sun was directly behind us and Directly in his eyes.  I tacked to get out of his way.  He was a good skipper and saw us and never steered close to us.

The point, We may think we are large and hard to miss, but light and other factors can make even a large craft, hard to see.  If Brenda had not been so vigilant, and the opposing skipper / Fisherman had been worriying about his fishing and not on his skippering, y’all might have been talking about us (in the PAST Tense) a few years ago. 

Even though I’m an avid power boater as well as a sailor, and make my living off the power boat industry, virtually 99% of PB vs. SB collisions are the powerboat’s fault, regardless of what any investigation says. Just using your example, there’s no fucking way I’d run wide open straight in to a rising sun that’s blinding me.  That’s as dumb as running fast at night. Based on the picture of the picnic boat that ran down the cat, I’m betting on auto helm while doing “just a quick duck down below to grab something.”  Or the crowd favorite, drunk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Even though I’m an avid power boater as well as a sailor, and make my living off the power boat industry, virtually 99% of PB vs. SB collisions are the powerboat’s fault, regardless of what any investigation says. Just using your example, there’s no fucking way I’d run wide open straight in to a rising sun that’s blinding me.  That’s as dumb as running fast at night. Based on the picture of the picnic boat that ran down the cat, I’m betting on auto helm while doing “just a quick duck down below to grab something.”  Or the crowd favorite, drunk. 

Yeah but the powerboaters were merely out "enjoying their day..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can just see the PB'er : "Hey! You scratched my anchor!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bruno said:

Right, this is how it's supposed to be done.

Got it....sometimes I need it spelled out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 2 boats collide, well, 1 runs over the other from clear astern, on a sunny, clear afternoon on open water with multiple witnesses potentially in a busy estuary and the authorities require a month to figure out what happened. I guess we'll all have to get waterproof dashcams for our boats now. There used to be a quaint thing called a coroner's inquest but RI is apparently a state wide medical examiner system so all you get is a death cert.

"The major advantages of the coroner system concern autonomy, access to power, and the ability to represent the will of the electorate."

Sometimes progress isn't progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is truly amazing this guy has enough pull to keep his name out of the press for this long, When the final investigations are made public. this will certainly resurface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jfdubu said:

It is truly amazing this guy has enough pull to keep his name out of the press for this long, When the final investigations are made public. this will certainly resurface.

He belongs to a special yacht club.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jfdubu said:

It is truly amazing this guy has enough pull to keep his name out of the press for this long, When the final investigations are made public. this will certainly resurface.

His boat is called @LAST

Amazing how hard it is to find out about that actually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites