dew

Woman dead after power boat collides with sailboat in Narragansett Bay

On 8/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, robalex117 said:

Picture of the motor boat.  Being hip towed by Newport harbor master to the launching ramp at Fort Adams.IMG_1820.jpeg.3213998ec93c261fca42429a68e2947e.jpeg

@sailforbeer This was posted early on, doesn't look like much signs of fishing going on...

15 hours ago, KC375 said:

Only seems to be one Frank Teixeira in RI that pops up from quick Google...

A little deeper produces as Francisco Teixeira and a John F Teixeira....

I would think some local ground work could sort this out. The googling does not immediatly suggest this person is a big name being protected...

AND 8-17 knots does seem slow.

Having sailed that part of the course 5 minutes earlier, starboard beam reach with wind cycling 7-14ish,  and based on the fact that Sandra was not on the wire at the time - I'd estimate the she was going 7-9 knots - based on the damage I saw on the inside of her starboard hull and the dent in the cross beam - I'd SWAG that the PB was going at least 2x the F18

35 minutes ago, RImike said:

@sailforbeer This was posted early on, doesn't look like much signs of fishing going on...

Even if they were fishing at the time of the collision that would be irrelevant. That boat is not equipped for the type of fishing that limits maneuverability. Therefore it is simply a power boat. COLEREGS don't reduce burden on people using fishing rods. The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restricts manoeuvrability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manoeuvrability.

13 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Even if they were fishing at the time of the collision that would be irrelevant. That boat is not equipped for the type of fishing that limits maneuverability. Therefore it is simply a power boat. COLEREGS don't reduce burden on people using fishing rods. The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restricts manoeuvrability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manoeuvrability.

Fishing also assumes commercial fishing, not recreational.  

16 hours ago, KC375 said:

Only seems to be one Frank Teixeira in RI that pops up from quick Google...

A little deeper produces as Francisco Teixeira and a John F Teixeira....

I would think some local ground work could sort this out. The googling does not immediatly suggest this person is a big name being protected...

AND 8-17 knots does seem slow.

In 2018 vp of board of directors for Bristol county savings bank.  Been on the board since 1980 or so. Family member seems to own / run respected and active financial services co,  with affiliated branch in pawtucket ri.

Of course this may not be the person. 

• Like 1

I read the report and it stated that the pb in the collision was engaged in cruising at the time of the incident and was operating as an open cabin cruiser. There was no indication in the report of any fishing activity. 

The black boat shown at Ft Adams has twin OBs, doesn't seem to resemble the TW28 shown, though both sport rod holders, not a question of fishing and failure to yield. 

If I had to guess I would guess that some property is being restructured. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, eliboat said:

Fishing also assumes commercial fishing, not recreational.  

Could you show me where in the COLREGS  that is stated, I may have missed it.

I could be wrong but I think the "commercial fishing" is not a COLREGS issue but RIDEM issue...i.e. if you were using equipment that makes you a "fishing vessel" for COLREGS - e.g. if you were bottom trawling without a commercial license then I think (please offer citation if I'm wrong, happy to learn) you would become the stand on vessel but likely to end up having an unpleasant conversation with RIDEM and probably enforcement action for illegal fishing.

Think about the alternative. The  COLREGS do a pretty good job offering guidance about who is the giveway and who is standon. If you are in a sailboat in the way of a trawler - your first reaction should be - "engaged in fishing" they should stand on and I should make early clear corse change...oh but no it's a shabby looking boat, I bet they haven't paid up their fishing license so instead I'm not the standon boat....

28 minutes ago, Bruno said:

The black boat shown at Ft Adams has twin OBs, doesn't seem to resemble the TW28 shown, though both sport rod holders, not a question of fishing and failure to yield. 

If I had to guess I would guess that some property is being restructured. 

The photo above was taken that day, that's the DEM boat hip towing "the boat" which is named @ Last 

Right, there seems to be some dissonance in the official account, eg report said 315 hp iirc, etc.

2 minutes ago, Bruno said:

Right, there seems to be some dissonance in the official account, eg report said 315 hp iirc, etc.

That's probably the only thing correct,  It's a 5.7L Mercruiser Magnum MPI engine which has a "stated" hp of 315.

Someone pointed out that "Depth from Transom" as being 6 feet is incorrect however that might be the measured distance from the skeg of the outdrive to the top of the transom gunwale (3 foot from skeg to water line and 3 feet to top of gunwale from water line). 

Photo shows twins, struggling with the idea of twin 315s on a 28'er, guilty already if true.

Furthermore, with that much iron on it transom is not 3' above water, jes sayin.

The powerboat in the collision has a 315 hp Diesel engine. 

There is some stuff we don't need to speculate courtesy of @Just A Skosh

image.thumb.png.8218358ea45727e5090c3955a272d79c.png

image.thumb.png.35121ee40860ccc39adb3da0e6dbcadd.png

11 minutes ago, Bruno said:

Photo shows twins, struggling with the idea of twin 315s on a 28'er, guilty already if true.

I'm on a little phone and this morning the coffee is a bit defective, but are you sure about the twin thing? 

There's a boat with twins side tied in the pic but I think that belongs to the State. No?

28 minutes ago, weightless said:

I'm on a little phone and this morning the coffee is a bit defective, but are you sure about the twin thing? 

There's a boat with twins side tied in the pic but I think that belongs to the State. No?

Boat on the left is  the Newport harbor master.  Boat on the right is the one involved in the collision.  Picture taken at the public ramp at sail newport.  @last was tied up after the incident to the Alofisn pier and then later that afternoon towed over and taken out of the water.

IMG_1829.jpeg

3 minutes ago, robalex117 said:

Boat on the left is  the Newport harbor master.  Boat on the right is the one involved in the collision.

IMG_1829.jpeg

SO NOW WE FIND OUT IT WAS A HOME BREW POWER CAT

56 minutes ago, RImike said:

That's probably the only thing correct,  It's a 5.7L Mercruiser Magnum MPI engine which has a "stated" hp of 315.

Someone pointed out that "Depth from Transom" as being 6 feet is incorrect however that might be the measured distance from the skeg of the outdrive to the top of the transom gunwale (3 foot from skeg to water line and 3 feet to top of gunwale from water line). 

I stand corrected, I checked the quick spec's on the boat and they listed a Mercruiser option, which also has a stated hp of 315 but Yanmar makes an inline 6 cylinder turbo diesel as well which @ Last has. 

It doesn't really matter whether the boat that killed S was a diesel, an inboard, an outboard or a pedal pusher! All this speculation is almost as bad as the thread drift about a NPR car show! KC and others have started making some progress to get to the facts of the incident so lets stay focused on that, please. 

• Like 1

Ok got a couple of more updates.

This is the meat of the letter I got with the accident report:

image.thumb.png.89a2a030b5c27e5dedade9acb55d8304.png

I asked the records officer why the Accident Description wasn't included in their original release, and she replied with:

image.thumb.png.0f17fca4bf0e30ef5ec4a040b0ecf2ee.png

So I just emailed the office of the director of DEM appealing the decision to withhold that statement.  My argument is that identifying information could be redacted out of the statement so that there would be no impact on any investigation.  See below.  We'll see what they say.

image.thumb.png.677d6a36f43043fcfbf8e921492cd093.png

• Like 3

Obviously I'm not a lawyer so some of this could probably be worded better, but I think I got the message across.  No idea if it'll get anywhere, but I figure it's worth a try.

• Like 9

Bump....

Sandra Tartaglino Memorial Fund

Sandra Tartaglino of Tiverton, Rhode Island died suddenly in a tragic boating accident on Narragansett Bay Sunday, August 11, 2019. In her memory the family wishes to promote her love of sailing, safe boating and fostering the development of young sailors.

Memorial donations may be made to the Sandra Tartaglino Memorial Fund c/o P.O. Box 491, Tiverton RI 02878.

SandraTartaglinoN17-USMedia.thumb.jpg.ea07c3d1522b2f68f5a5efc02de8e8a4.jpg

• Like 3

For those who only know her as the "60 year-old-woman"  (per the news report)...

"With a very heavy heart, on behalf of the USF18 Class and entire sailing community, we would like to pass our condolences and prayers to the family and friends of Sandra Tartaglino who passed away yesterday after a tragic collision with a motorboat during the New England 100 regatta in Newport, RI. Sandra had organized this 30th anniversary event and she was at the very first one 30 years ago. Her parents were on site Saturday night for their annual support of providing their famous Stuffed Quahogs.  As always, she was giving back to the sport which she loved so much.   Sandra was actively serving as USF18 Class Treasurer which she held for many years, her presence will be impossible to be replace.

She always went above and beyond in the interest of the class and anyone that needed her help.  Her support was instrumental in many events in the Northeast and all throughout the country. Sandra loved catamaran sailing so much that she sailed anything from Nacra 6.0s in the Worrell 1000, Hobie 16s to Nacra 17s and more, she was a true competitor. She actively competed and placed in many major Championships. 

Always thinking of others, she would bring brownies to give away during pack up at nearly every event. In 2014, when she couldn't make it to the F18 North American Championships in Texas, she mailed a giant batch of her famous brownies to her fellow sailors and friends.  A true testament to how caring of a person she was.
Just one week ago she handily won the Buzzards Bay Regatta on her F18 and this past weekend she was organizing the regatta in which this accident occurred.  
Sandra was an amazing woman, tough competitor, and dear friend we all learned so much from her on and off the water.  While she passed away doing what she loved, she was taken far too soon and will be truly missed.

Thank you for everything Sandra. Fair Winds and may you rest in peace".

SANDRA.JPG.1b0c2d29c4eb5627e298edd7b9d4e3c9.JPG

• Like 9

On 10/2/2019 at 4:42 PM, Just A Skosh said:

Obviously I'm not a lawyer so some of this could probably be worded better, but I think I got the message across.  No idea if it'll get anywhere, but I figure it's worth a try.

You did great!

On 10/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, Cal20sailor said:

You did great!

Second that!

On 10/2/2019 at 1:51 PM, robalex117 said:

Boat on the left is  the Newport harbor master.  Boat on the right is the one involved in the collision.  Picture taken at the public ramp at sail newport.  @last was tied up after the incident to the Alofisn pier and then later that afternoon towed over and taken out of the water.

IMG_1829.jpeg

There are not many True World Marine 28s around. I'm sure some one of the RI folks can figure out where it's kept.

Anyone bother to check the USCG vessel documentation site? I don't see any RI #s

On 9/30/2019 at 12:48 PM, KC375 said:

Or even further up the food chain

Gina Raimondo The governor of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations is the head of the executive branch of the government of Rhode Island and serves as commander-in-chief of the state's Army National Guard and Air National Guard.

Office of the Governor

82 Smith Street

Providence, RI 02903

Phone: (401) 222-2080

Fax: (401) 222-8096

Just curious.  What do you plan to do when you ID this guy? 

Just now, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

I thick ist juste the resistence of "officialle" info soureces that spurres thisse effortte on.  If evereythinge wase above boarde and open, intereste woude wane....

I’m thinking you are correct on this matter. Sad at the very least 

2 hours ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

I think the goal is to continue shinning light on this incident until there is evidence of a transparent investigation pursued to what ever the appropriate outcome is...that outcome depends on the facts of the case.

The known facts are admittedly incomplete, but they, along with the absence of any evidence of appropriate investigation, suggest the need for continued attention.

There is some reason to believe SA reduced the harm Perdock in Lake County CA was able to do. Sustained publicity can be a good thing.

• Like 2

No one, to date, has proposed vigilantism, but there is a reasonable concern that justice, after what seems like a pretty clearly negligent act, is delayed if not denied.  Given the lack of statements from those most closely involved this seems not unfounded. She sounds like a good person who was killed for no good reason, I would hope shining a light on it might deter future negligence. I forgave the guy who ran over me, others have also, but I would hate to see this happen again.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:48 PM, TPG said:

There are not many True World Marine 28s around. I'm sure some one of the RI folks can figure out where it's kept.

Anyone bother to check the USCG vessel documentation site? I don't see any RI #s

I don't recall seeing this in Newport harbor however I don't go to far into the inner harbor or the point as I tend to stay around Bretton Cove and power boats all look the same to me. It's also possible that it's kept somewhere other than Newport. 

As for vessel search, there isn't much info to go by and this might be it: https://maritimedocumentation.us/vessel-search/?off_num=1254100&vesselname=&key=879bb44c7c 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RImike said:

I don't recall seeing this in Newport harbor however I don't go to far into the inner harbor or the point as I tend to stay around Bretton Cove and power boats all look the same to me. It's also possible that it's kept somewhere other than Newport. 

As for vessel search, there isn't much info to go by and this might be it: https://maritimedocumentation.us/vessel-search/?off_num=1254100&vesselname=&key=879bb44c7c 

The right name and age...seems highish probability

On 10/5/2019 at 6:50 PM, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Ensure that the Rule of Law is applied. Period. No skating away from a real investigation or prosecution. As omeone who sails in that water, making "open season" on sailors is pretty bad--and that's what the optics are right now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RImike said:

Here, data on same boat from PSIX database, includes length & beam. Looks like the right one, same Hull ID as accident report: https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

at last.JPG

• Like 2

they were boarded by USCG on the day of the accident...clearly the same boat

edit: i just searched both of those 'activity numbers' on this accident database, both came back null: https://cgmix.uscg.mil/IIR/IIRSearch.aspx 

at last 2.JPG

EDIT: I tried searching a date range (shown blow) it returned 91 results, apparently none related to this accident. They have reports for everything from groundings to loss of life in here, though it could still be closed for the investigation presumably.

1583629764_Allast3.JPG.02c929288851a2ecdcde09815525ce10.JPG

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Ensure that the Rule of Law is applied. Period. No skating away from a real investigation or prosecution. As omeone who sails in that water, making "open season" on sailors is pretty bad--and that's what the optics are right now.

Very noble indeed. I would imagine the unfortunately  injured family is looking after that as well. 

I wouldn't go off half cocked here. A friend of mine had a boat he once owned involved in a drunken boating incident after he had sold it....and yeah; any number of people assumed that he was the one throwing beer bottles at passengers on the Bluenose.

13 minutes ago, spankoka said:

I wouldn't go off half cocked here. A friend of mine had a boat he once owned involved in a drunken boating incident after he had sold it....and yeah; any number of people assumed that he was the one throwing beer bottles at passengers on the Bluenose.

Yes i would assume the 2015 boarding in NJ was a prior owner, it looks like they scrubbed the records of that boarding presumably to protect the prior owner though that assumption may be too generous. All of the records shown in the date search have an 'end date' which is presumably when the investigation was concluded. This one is still ongoing which is probably why it isnt posted yet.  

Underlying article from newportri.com has a little more info: https://www.newportri.com/news/20191001/investigation-into-fatal-boating-crash-on-narragansett-bay-should-be-completed-this-month

The DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement Marine Unit is responsible for investigating the boat crash that killed Sandra G. Tartaglino, 60, of Tiverton.

NEWPORT — A decision on whether the driver of the powerboat that collided with a sailboat in Narragansett Bay in August— resulting in one fatality— will face criminal, civil or no charges should be announced in approximately two weeks, according to the chief of the Department of Environment Management’s Division of Law Enforcement.

“We are in the final stage where the report is generally complete; it’s being reviewed. We review it both with our internal legal [counsel] at DEM [to determine whether to bring civil charges or none at all], and any incident of this type” is also reviewed by Attorney General Peter Neronha’s office to determine whether the state will bring criminal charges, DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement Chief Dean Hoxsie said Tuesday.

The DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement Marine Unit is responsible for investigating the boat crash that killed Sandra G. Tartaglino, 60, of Tiverton, Hoxsie said.

“We understand the public thirst for knowledge,” especially in a social media era where information spreads seemingly instantly, Hoxsie said. In a DEM press release in August, the agency said the investigation’s results were pending an autopsy, collision reconstruction and a collection of witness statements.

“Everyone is pressured or stressed or emotional after an incident of this type and we want them to be able to...we want everyone to have a fair and impartial interview where they’re not pressured...so that we get the most accurate information that they remember having taken place,” Hoxsie said. “We’re not in that rush. Our goal is to get the most accurate information possible [and] develop a set of facts that would lead to a determination as to what happened.”

He said the progression of the investigation and the time that’s elapsed since the Aug. 11 collision is normal.

Boating fatalities “absolutely” take high priority, Hoxsie said. But “while this is a major incident that we’re working on, that was mid-summer,” and beaches, campgrounds and DEM officer hands were full. “We have other boating violations, fisheries enforcement...we have a myriad of issues that we look at [but] any amount of staffing that is necessary...is assigned and dedicated to [boating fatalities].”

The DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement Marine Unit is responsible for investigating the boat crash that killed Sandra G. Tartaglino, 60, of Tiverton, Hoxsie said. The DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement is divided into three units: the Marine Unit, Upland Unit and the Criminal Investigation Unit. A Response Unit is also listed on the DEM website, but Hoxsie said there are currently just three active units due to staffing constraints. There are 32 DEM Division of Law Enforcement officers total when fully-staffed, but the division isn’t currently fully-staffed, Hoxsie said. Sixteen officers are assigned to the Marine Unit.

“By statute, we are the agency in Rhode island mandated to investigate any boating accident within state waters unless it is a commercial vessel, which would then be investigated by [the] Coast Guard,” Hoxsie said.

The Marine Unit is further divided into two units: Marine East and Marine West.

“One of our [Marine East] boat accident re-constructionists is assigned as the primary” officer for the Aug. 11 fatal collision, Hoxsie said. “A majority of that officer’s time since that incident has been dedicated to that investigation.”

That officer was assisted by another boat accident re-constructionist officer; a few other officers were also utilized during the investigation, Hoxsie added.

Tartaglino died after a powerboat collided with a catamaran she occupied around 2:45 p.m. on Aug. 11. The collision occurred just north of the Pell Bridge. Tartaglino was competing in the New England 100 regatta, which is organized by the New England chapter of the NACRA Sailing Association. Dozens of people in the sailing community and various maritime organizations expressed their condolences on social media in the wake of Tartaglino’s death, noting her fierce athleticism and kindness.

The DEM said in an Aug. 11 press release alcohol was not a factor in the crash. “The Narragansett Bay Marine Task Force was activated and the Newport Harbormaster responded first and recovered a 60-year-old woman, unconscious,” the release said. “The woman was later pronounced dead.”

22 hours ago, Mark Set said:

Here, data on same boat from PSIX database, includes length & beam. Looks like the right one, same Hull ID as accident report: https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

at last.JPG

With the USCG official number it is very easy to get the owner, but that does not mean the owner was the operator.  Cost is $25 and the USCG will email you an abstract of title, showing the ownership chain from when it was first documented with the USCG.

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/entry/101/

12 minutes ago, robalex117 said:

With the USCG official number it is very easy to get the owner, but that does not mean the owner was the operator.  Cost is $25 and the USCG will email you an abstract of title, showing the ownership chain from when it was first documented with the USCG.

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/entry/101/

Or you can simply read the accident report I posted which has the operator's name on the second page.

1 hour ago, Just A Skosh said:

Or you can simply read the accident report I posted which has the operator's name on the second page.

Yes, going back to JAS's post #190 and KC375's post #215 (where he printed out the report) you see Frank Teixeira checked off the boxes for "Owner" and "Operator."

A couple of mouse clicks gets you the following.

Capture - Frank Address.JPG

Capture Frank Zillow.JPG

3 hours ago, Just A Skosh said:

Why'd they redact it on the first page then? Guess someone screwed up.

Just now, Mark Set said:

Why'd they redact it on the first page then? Guess someone screwed up.

That's my guess, but I wasn't about to ask...

A few people here are ready to hang the powerboat operator out to dry, myself included assuming he carries the majority of the fault.

What do we know about the collision? Could she have screwed up? It happens.

3 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Yes, going back to JAS's post #190 and KC375's post #215 (where he printed out the report) you see Frank Teixeira checked off the boxes for "Owner" and "Operator."

A couple of mouse clicks gets you the following.

Capture - Frank Address.JPG

Capture Frank Zillow.JPG

We should be somewhat cautious here. A while ago I even paid a virtual visit to this house / street - via google street view. I did not find irrefutable link between the boat and this Frank Teixeira...and I did find some F Teixeira's...so likely but not certain this is the guy.

This 75 year old republican might be the perp...at the very least you could blame him for the orange menace in the whitehouse...I don't think there is yet an established link to the tragedy on the water.

5 hours ago, Just A Skosh said:

There are 32 DEM Division of Law Enforcement officers total when fully-staffed, but the division isn’t currently fully-staffed, Hoxsie said. Sixteen officers are assigned to the Marine Unit.

I think this gets to my concern. Does DEM have the competence needed to do this work?

2 hours ago, weightless said:

I think this gets to my concern. Does DEM have the competence needed to do this work?

That’s why you have a USCG, NPT Harbormaster who was first  on the scene, and lawyers.  

5 hours ago, Just A Skosh said:

That's my guess, but I wasn't about to ask...

A low level public official screwing up a redaction?  I'm stunned. /sarc

1 hour ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Yep.   I  might be backstroking if I were the S.A. vigilantes right now.  

wby would you be backstroking?

41 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

wby would you be backstroking?

Doxxing the man that people think killed Sandra while the police are still investigating is a dumb idea.

Swarm intelligence often gets this stuff right - 4chan was able to correctly identify an ISIS stronghold (which was then bombed) based on a picture of its minarets, but those guys are way smarter than the people on this forum. Sometimes they get it wrong, too. For example, Sunil Tripathi was wrongly named as the boston bomber on Reddit. Now he's dead.

32 minutes ago, shubrook said:

Doxxing the man that people think killed Sandra while the police are still investigating is a dumb idea.

Cool.  Anyone see a post where someone states that someone else committed a crime?  Just curious

3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Cool.  Anyone see a post where someone states that someone else committed a crime?  Just curious

There's a man'f phone number and home address if you scroll up.

What if that's not the guy?

What if that was your house?

Just now, shubrook said:

There's a man'f phone number and home address if you scroll up.

What if that's not the guy?

What if that was your house?

I saw a man's name and phone number.  haven't seen any statements by anyone here that he killed someone.  Must be these new contact lenses?

11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I saw a man's name and phone number.  haven't seen any statements by anyone here that he killed someone.  Must be these new contact lenses?

its in the alleged accident report.

I can understand why you would see nothing wrong with releasing people's personal information on the internet: you're a known coward and a cuck.

Maybe he did it, but nobody here is charged with investigating this killing. What do you plan to accomplish by sharing people's personal information?

The people who are in charge already know who did it, and they will release it when they see fit.

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Just curious. Please state where you have ever passed a bar exam and been admitted? You told Chris you were ‘practicing’ in California, after your stint as a baker. How do you define  ‘practicing’?   Writing briefs between donut making? 

Where was your legal expertise when  your boss almost lost his business to a fat Boston financier over an insult? Who took your advice? 

Do you seriously think any judge or jury could not connect the  dots without an explicit statement?  

F. Lee Clean.  C’mon  man! 

2 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

I think the only thing being accomplished now is prejudicing the jury pool and making it tougher to get a fair trial in the state of Rhode Island. . I’m sure his lawyer would love this thread. If indeed this guy turns out to be the charged  party. 

Imagine if he’s not charged.  Oh my. 

I think you should call the judge and let them know about this thread. Better yet, the FBI.  Think of all the indictments.

13 minutes ago, shubrook said:

its in the alleged accident report.

Research: Fair Report Privilege

27 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Please state where you have ever passed a bar exam and been admitted?

12 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I think you should call the judge and let them know about this thread. Better yet, the FBI.  Think of all the indictments.

There is no judge yet. 

4 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

There is no judge yet. 

Prosecutor then.  Or for sure, he's lawyered up - just get that guy to call the feds.  Get them to issue a Yellow Alert so that all the phones in Rhode Island make that crazy noise.  THERE IS AN INJUSTICE AFOOT.  An old man's name and home is on the internet!

On second thought, given your inability to work the Google in your search for my legal licensure, you won't be able to find his lawyer either.  Maybe you should just drive down to the RI border and start shouting?  It's not far, I'm sure.  

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

What about Nancy Pelosi?  I think she's a Judge!

11 minutes ago, silent bob said:

What about Nancy Pelosi?  I think she's a Judge!

And she needs to be Impeached for Treason, along with everyone who doxed the old republican boat owner who definitely did not kill a nice sailing lady with his powerboat.  TREASON!

5 hours ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:
7 hours ago, weightless said:

That’s why you have a USCG, NPT Harbormaster who was first  on the scene, and lawyers.  

I don't see the connection. Will the USCG or Harbormaster review the report from the Environment Police? How do the lawyers fit into it. Who do they represent?

10 minutes ago, weightless said:

How do the lawyers fit into it. Who do they represent?

Aren't you paying attention?  Nancy Pelosi!  

Just now, MR.CLEAN said:

Aren't you paying attention?  Nancy Pelosi!  

Yeah, and she is bringing THE SQUAD!!!!

I just thought it was odd that the powerboat operators name hadnt come out, when in the O'Leary incident it came out immediately. There was some concern that the RI cops were protecting a rich/influential individual who was responsible, but now that it appears it was probably this retired regular joe guy i couldnt care less. Posting photos of his house was a bit much I'd say.

On 10/8/2019 at 9:25 AM, Just A Skosh said:

Guess I only saw the first page with the redacted name.    

12 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Yeah, and she is bringing THE SQUAD!!!!

51VI8to7jGL._SY445_.jpg

On 10/7/2019 at 5:16 PM, Mark Set said:

1583629764_Allast3.JPG.02c929288851a2ecdcde09815525ce10.JPG

I know MAUI DIAMOND.   It’s a dive boat on Maui.  Someone must have gotten hurt on a dive.   Ok, way off course thread drift.....

Well. Today is the 15th.   

"A decision on whether the driver of the powerboat that collided with a sailboat in Narragansett Bay (Newport, RI) in August — resulting in one fatality — will face criminal, civil, or no charges should be announced by approximately October 15, according to the chief of the Department of Environment Management’s Division of Law Enforcement."

I wonder what the definition is of "approximately" when used by the DEM in the above statement?  AM?, PM?, Oct 16?

Bump....

Sandra Tartaglino Memorial Fund

Sandra Tartaglino of Tiverton, Rhode Island died suddenly in a tragic boating accident on Narragansett Bay Sunday, August 11, 2019. In her memory the family wishes to promote her love of sailing, safe boating and fostering the development of young sailors.

Memorial donations may be made to the Sandra Tartaglino Memorial Fund c/o P.O. Box 491, Tiverton RI 02878.

• Like 1

Anyone interested should be calling DEM and asking about it.  A few phone calls to the media officer or supervisor does rock the apple cart

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Just A Skosh said:

I can't personally make a judgment without seeing the report, but this seems absolutely fucking ridiculous:

https://www.newportri.com/news/20191017/boater-wont-be-charged-in-deadly-crash-off-newport

Also typical. But fucking ridiculous.

Unbelievable.  Everyone needs to Read the article and get angry. 

It'd like to know since when does potential ignorance of the law count as an excuse against a felony? 

Does this also mean that if you run over a diver with a flag,  it would also not be a felony? 

The reasons just seem wrong on so many levels. 

• Like 4

The way the article and press release are worded, if you take the course, thereby gaining knowledge of the rules (which a prior CG statement claimed weren't rules) then you would be at risk. If you never took the class, claim ignorance of the rules, then you are not guilty of negligence. This is quite lawyerly, some lawyer should take pride in their efforts of behalf of Frank.

What's missing is any context or findings beyond the broad statement of not guilty, or not enough to be charged anyway. No finding of facts accompany it, no so and so were on such and such course, A overtaking B, A failing to keep a lookout negligently ran over and killed B, none of the usual one has come to expect.

Just seems odd.

• Like 5