Sign in to follow this  
Dog

Sandra Tartaglino RIP

Just arrived in my mail. A great lady and promoter of sailing gone way too soon.

"With a very heavy heart, on behalf of the USF18 Class and entire sailing community, we would like to pass our condolences and prayers to the family and friends of Sandra Tartaglino who passed away yesterday after a tragic collision with a motorboat during the New England 100 regatta in Newport, RI. 
Sandra had organized this 30th anniversary event and she was at the very first one 30 years ago. Her parents were on site Saturday night for their annual support of providing their famous Stuffed Quahogs.  As always, she was giving back to the sport which she loved so much.  
Sandra was actively serving as USF18 Class Treasurer which she held for many years, her presence will be impossible to be replace. She always went above and beyond in the interest of the class and anyone that needed her help.  Her support was instrumental in many events in the Northeast and all throughout the country.
Sandra loved catamaran sailing so much that she sailed anything from Nacra 6.0s in the Worrell 1000, Hobie 16s to Nacra 17s and more, she was a true competitor. She actively competed and placed in many major Championships. 
Always thinking of others, she would bring brownies to give away during pack up at nearly every event. In 2014, when she couldn't make it to the F18 North American Championships in Texas, she mailed a giant batch of her famous brownies to her fellow sailors and friends.  A true testament to how caring of a person she was.
Just one week ago she handily won the Buzzards Bay Regatta on her F18 and this past weekend she was organizing the regatta in which this accident occurred.  
Sandra was an amazing woman, tough competitor, and dear friend we all learned so much from her on and off the water.  While she passed away doing what she loved, she was taken far too soon and will be truly missed.
Thank you for everything Sandra. Fair Winds and may you rest in peace".

• Like 3

It set up as a perfect weekend for the New England 100.  Plenty of breeze - plenty of 2 sail reaching with gusts in the mid 20's, skippers in back foot strap and boats breaking 20 knots regularly.  2 days of this type of racing puts the most fit among us on our asses and deep in Advil.  

The accident that took Sandra occurred less than 1/4 mile from the finish on the final day in moderate conditions.  Despite 2 long days of conditions that were breaking, bending and flipping boats, this 60-year-old competitor had shown no quit.  She was as tenacious as any sailor afloat.

She also chaired the event, helped her parents cook us all dinner after the 1st night that ended with brownies that Sandra had found time to make.  She was as kind and generous as any sailor afloat.

Totally tenacious, kind and generous.

We lost a star.

• Like 10

This is just terrible, horrible news.

Having done some race committee with an F18 regatta a few times, and shared the parking lot with them at Newport a number of times, I'm pretty sure I met her. I really really think this is so horrifying. Just such a waste for her to be lost, just like that.

Still don't get how a 25 foot motor boat can hit an 18 foot sailboat and then have the props of the motor boat chop up a person in the water.  Maybe not but I would guess alcohol was involved.

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Sandy was the definition of a 'Cat Woman' in a sailing context. Tough as they come and it is so sad that she fall victim to this sort of tragedy. Fair Winds sister sailor.

https://www.newportri.com/news/20190812/woman-killed-in-boat-crash-in-newport-identified

P1170542Tm.jpg

Sail on, sister.... another good one, gone far too soon.

This is a heartbreaking tragedy for her family and a loss to all sailors.

FB- Doug

Horrifically sad.  Powerboaters:  please, no autopilot or booze in the bay.

Very sad news.  Sail on and Fair Winds.

Damn ...Sad News.........It sounds like she showed others the way by doing,  ..... It is too those that remain to take up her mantle and sail with it...

Not an accident in my book.... an all to real circumstance at the moment with cowboys at the helm of powerboats

Such a horrible waste of life.

Not a whole lot to protect you on a beach cat when some pinhead drills you with their powerboat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sailing-community-mourns-death-of-trailblazer-sandra-tartaglino/ar-AAFIfuP

Fair Winds Sandra

NE 100 competitor -   Team Shit for Brains    1991-1992

Spent some time with her in Spain. A very driven lady and a credit to our sport.

A tragic loss.

Did not know Sarah but certainly knew of her . What a loss to the sailing community. I can personally relate to this incident as I was run down by a quahoger on Narragansett Bay near Bristol YC while sailing a friend’s A-Cat 14 years ago. Destroyed the A-Cat and I came within inches of either dying or being probably being disabled for the rest of my life. I was extremely lucky. Keep your eyes open out there!