Sign in to follow this  
Latadjust

CPAP on charter

Figure out how much power it uses from the label on the unit and ask the charter company if the boat has an inverter and if the batteries are sufficient to power the load for 8 hours overnight before you charge in the morning.

Or if the boat has an inverter, no big deal.  I had a friend as crew on my boat last summer and he was using his cpap.  I have inverter powered AC sockets onboard.  Draw was not an issue.  

12V CPAPs are good but expensive and you will need to charge batteries somehow. AC CPAPs  don't draw that much. You can use a home unit with a 12v cigarette lighter plug and small inverter. (properly sized). Make sure the cord reaches from the power source to your bunk.

On a charter call ahead and see if the cabins have Inverters/AC outlets. Or bring wirenuts and a screwdriver you may have to temporarily unwire and hook up an inverter  to a bunkside lamp power source (so I'm told)     

1 hour ago, Mark Set said:

this is the most Boomer thread ever.

Umm...yes.

Alternative solution for the week:  Eat light. No alcohol. Prop your head up at night. Antihistamine.

4 hours ago, Mark Set said:

this is the most Boomer thread ever.

down to the punny buffett-esque name of the OP. I can smell the New Balances and refusal to retire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

Am I the only person who doesn't know what a CPAP is?

Is it a special American thing?  Do all boats need one?

I only learnt about them from this place in the last few months......definitely more of a US thing than anywhere else. 

I use a Resmed machine. Turn off humidity control. A 750 watt invertor is sufficient. You will not challenge a good house bank. Use about 15 AHr during the night.

My wifes machine had a 12v converter we oculd buy for about $90.  I got a few 12v extension cords and plugged into the charters 12v socket.  Turned off the humidifier.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, view at the front said:

I've also used an "as seen on TV" mouth appliance that worked in the bush in Africa when there were no power options.

This, They actually work.  

Who exactly needs one of these things, and what medical conditions require being dependent and strapped to it every night? 

I dialled up the interweb to find out what it was and found myself on the NHS website.

For the condition that people apparently buy these machines they recommend;

-Loosing weight

-Stopping smoking

-Not taking sleeping pills

-Drinking less.

The last option being clearly ludicrous.

The other people using them are new born babies with underdeveloped lungs.

I have a feeling that some sharp marketing man has been flogging shit to our 'merican friends again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

I dialled up the interweb to find out what it was and found myself on the NHS website.

For the condition that people apparently buy these machines they recommend;

-Loosing weight

-Stopping smoking

-Not taking sleeping pills

-Drinking less.

The last option being clearly ludicrous.

The other people using them are new born babies with underdeveloped lungs.

I have a feeling that some sharp marketing man has been flogging shit to our 'merican friends again.

CPAPs and mobility scooters! Medicare pays 100%! Get yours today AT NO COST TO YOU! Just dial 1-888-FAT FUCK or order online!

• Like 1

That’s what I thought and remember from the last time it was mentioned here. 

If people are that dependent on them, I’d suggest not going sailing, maybe a cruise ship would be more appropriate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

This, They actually work.  

Just make sure you get the good ones like "Pure Sleep".  The generic ones are crap.  Well worth the $$ and they last forever.