Team Malizia attempting the crewed west-east transatlantic record. To 60 feet I assume. Boris not on board.

Departure ambrose here

https://www.instagram.com/p/B16pTjsHZU1/?igshid=16pyvxilaoe54

Tracker here 

https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com/

So Greta didn’t fly, but instead 2 guys fly from Europe to the states and Boris flies home. That was an environmental stuff up. Carbon footprint about 4 times what just flying there would have been.

That's a very complex item if the SA outward trip thread is to be believed. Way over my pay grade. 

I just think it's good see one of these boats being pushed and used like it should be not sitting at some dock. Good publicity opportunity for the sponsors as well on what could otherwise have been a pretty invisible home trip. The boat did after all have to get home somehow. 

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/60-pieds/imoca/sorti-de-chantier-pour-l-imoca-dmg-mori-sister-ship-du-charal-de-jeremie-beyou-ceeb5dee-ccbe-11e9-b985-707ad0eef1db

DMG-Mori article. In French. Google translation below. Basically an exact copy of Charal but where Charal is going to get new foils etc this boat may stay pretty much stock.

Google... 

Field work for IMOCA DMG-Mori, sister ship Charal Jérémie Beyou
DMG-Mori, sister ship of Charal de Jérémie Beyou, was released Saturday from the Vannes Multiplast yard.

The IMOCA DMG-Mori from Japan's Kojiro Shiraishi came out Saturday from the multiplast yard in Vannes (Morbihan). On plans VPLP, this 60 feet will be launched Monday morning is a copy of Charal Jérémie Beyou, the first foiler of the new generation. But he should not evolve as his sister-ship before his participation in the Vendée Globe 2020.

Let's be clear: it was more of an appetizer than a launch because DMG-Mori is far from being finalized, to the point that its participation in the Azimut Challenge of Lorient, from 18 to 22 September, then to the transat Jacques Vabre which will leave Le Havre on October 27 seems compromised or at least figurative.

In short, in the absence of the Japanese skipper Kojiro Shiraishi, the new IMOCA is well out of his hangar at Multiplast for a launch scheduled Monday in Vannes and a Wednesday Wednesday in Lorient. But for all that, nothing is planned yet for the boat trips on such a machine, Jérémie Beyou having already had a hard time developing his Charal in almost a year.

The fourth of the season
According to designers, builders and preparers of this 60 feet, DMG-Mori is totally identical to its predecessor but "the Japanese", that is to say that some details have been the subject of reflection. Not necessarily to change anything.

With its decoration less "flashy" than that of Charal , this IMOCA designed for the Vendée Globe 2020 appears much less aggressive and does not seem to evolve over the coming months, when Jérémie Beyou already announces for his a "version 2" of its foils, an additional investment of 500 000 €, as well as a transformation of its wells for the coming winter.

The "fashion" for such appendages is indeed the curve, which suggests that Jérémie Beyou will strongly draw inspiration from the curved foil version installed on the new Hugo Boss in particular.

Find here our article on the "Version 2" of Charal.

DMG-Mori has undergone some modifications compared to its Charal sister-ship but should not evolve any further by the next Vendée Globe.
DMG-Mori has undergone some modifications compared to its Charal sister-ship but should not evolve any further by the next Vendée Globe. | DOMINIC BOURGEOIS
In fact, it is the fourth IMOCA prototype released this year after Arkéa-Paprec by Sébastien Simon (Juan Kouyoumdjian plans), Charlie Dalin's Apivia (Guillaume Verdier plans), Alex Thomson's Hugo Boss (plans VPLP) and before the aDvens of Thomas Ruyant (plans Guillaume Verdier) which must find the fresh air on September 6th in Lorient.

It will remain only the plan Manuard Armel Tripon, of which little is known at the moment, and the plan Juan Kouyoumdjian Nicolas Troussel who will be a sister ship of Arkéa-Paprec .

These seven skippers (including Jérémie Béyou) are automatically qualified for the non-stop solo round the world race, only having to confirm that their boat is fit.

"We worked nine months, or 30,000 hours , on DMG-Mori," says Yann Penfornis, Director of Multiplast. We put it in the water a week before the planning because there are big tides at the moment ".

"We still have to do resistance tests, the test gauge to 90 ° but it will be necessary to wait until it is masted," he adds.

"We have recovered the mussels of Charal to realize this IMOCA and apart from some very slight details around the deckhouse, it is his sister-ship but in Japanese fashion: it is the fusion of German (DMG) and Japanese companies ( Mori) who is behind this project. Kojiro Shiraishi has planned to make the Vendée Globe 2020 with this version of foils " says Yann Penfornis. 

And the director of Multiplast adds that " it is a narrower boat, 5 m 55, than the previous generation because they are real foilers: at the time, it took width to to have stability because we did not really know if the foils were going to work. Today, we know that it works and the back is less - square - ".

"These are boats that have a little less wet surface in the air and are made to sail on their foils, concludes Yann Penfornis. Stability is no longer due to shapes but appendages. But the foils must not break! "

21 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

Should be a great VG based on the amount of new boats. However, there’s always one or two that are dogs compared to their cousins. Thinking of St Michel Virpac last time. 

were any reasons given for the poor performance of that boat? visually, it was a beauty.

7 hours ago, southerncross said:

5730C843-1496-4FB2-96C9-A3E1F1E9B3E4.png

it'd be interesting to know the total square footage of that foil outside the hull, fully extended. that's some brute force power.

11 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

it'd be interesting to know the total square footage of that foil outside the hull, fully extended. that's some brute force power.

Lots of drag too - the other side of the coin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3to1 said:

were any reasons given for the poor performance of that boat? visually, it was a beauty.

no idea but iirc it was never on the same level as Gitana, Safran or any of the other foilers. Heck, Maitre Coq, a previous generation IMOCA beat it. But yeah, she was a beauty.

5 hours ago, 3to1 said:

Jean Pierre dick came 4th. What's poor about being 4th behind the likes of Armel, AT and Beyou?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

no idea but iirc it was never on the same level as Gitana, Safran or any of the other foilers. Heck, Maitre Coq, a previous generation IMOCA beat it. But yeah, she was a beauty.

Can't find the source rn, but I'm pretty sure Virbac-Paprec was built in the same mold as Gitana. However, before last VG, I remember JP Dick saying he wished he had more time to prepare because they weren't fully ready, might explain why you felt it was slower than the others. 

Althought I would say that all the first gen foilers (Hugo Boss aside) are "dogs" if you look at the big picture. Trying to foil, but without comitting fully because at the time they weren't sure it would work RTW. I expect most of them to be beaten by the refits from the previous gen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GibGibGib said:

Can't find the source rn, but I'm pretty sure Virbac-Paprec was built in the same mold as Gitana. However, before last VG, I remember JP Dick saying he wished he had more time to prepare because they weren't fully ready, might explain why you felt it was slower than the others. 

Althought I would say that all the first gen foilers (Hugo Boss aside) are "dogs" if you look at the big picture. Trying to foil, but without comitting fully because at the time they weren't sure it would work RTW. I expect most of them to be beaten by the refits from the previous gen.

One of the foilers you're calling dogs won the whole thing and some other races. Very far from a dog when up against 30 other boats.

From memory JPD made some tactical choices that didn't exactly help him in the VG, one in the Indian going through Bass Strait to avoid a depression which turned out to be unnecessary and another before that in either the Atlantic or around Cape of Good Hope, I can't recall.  He should have been 3rd but blew it along the way even with Jeremy Beyou being without weather and suffering other issues for a significant period of time in the south. That boat subsequently has gone on to do very well in the hands of Yann Eilies including in the RDR.  It has not been significantly development since the VG.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jb5 said:

One of the foilers you're calling dogs won the whole thing and some other races. Very far from a dog when up against 30 other boats.

From memory JPD made some tactical choices that didn't exactly help him in the VG, one in the Indian going through Bass Strait to avoid a depression which turned out to be unnecessary and another before that in either the Atlantic or around Cape of Good Hope, I can't recall.  He should have been 3rd but blew it along the way even with Jeremy Beyou being without weather and suffering other issues for a significant period of time in the south. That boat subsequently has gone on to do very well in the hands of Yann Eilies including in the RDR.  It has not been significantly development since the VG.

Mmmmmm. Note, it's foils looked less developed than Gitana, BP and Safran. Leaving HB out of this because BP and Safran are sisterships, Gitana is a cousin of Safran, sharing many features and is a sistership of Virpac. HB was the albino reject. Could it be the foils? The hull is almost identical to its family as far as I can tell. Or purely bad decisions?

2 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Mmmmmm. Note, it's foils looked less developed than Gitana, BP and Safran. Leaving HB out of this because BP and Safran are sisterships, Gitana is a cousin of Safran, sharing many features and is a sistership of Virpac. HB was the albino reject. Could it be the foils? The hull is almost identical to its family as far as I can tell. Or purely bad decisions?

Yann was first foiler in the RDR as I recall.  Same boat as JPD.  Boris with the ex Gitana was after the relegated HB and PRB with new huge foils.  Nothing wrong with the boat.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jb5 said:

Team Malizia attempting the crewed west-east transatlantic record. To 60 feet I assume. Boris not on board.

Departure ambrose here

https://www.instagram.com/p/B16pTjsHZU1/?igshid=16pyvxilaoe54

Tracker here 

https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com/

Not doing so well currently. 8.8Kns about a day or so in and 345 m from NY.  I've been looking around for the current crewed IMOCA record and cannot find anything.  Anyone know? If they are going up against Comanche record of 5d 14h it seems an unlikely match.

5 hours ago, Miffy said:

Jean Pierre dick came 4th. What's poor about being 4th behind the likes of Armel, AT and Beyou?

good point, I didn't realize he finished that far up.

Sail oft time.  Short teaser before this weeks launch.

7 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

tInteresting board shape. 

190904advens-b77ea.jpg?1567584812

That really brings it home how big those boards are, than and the fact that it's sat under a massive chain hoist.

Only a matter of time before someone chimes in with, 'but with that design can they swap them over if they hit something...'

• Like 2

reminds me of the Gitana 17 tri's foils with the very fine tips.  Same designer Verdier.  For this boat its probably the first and final set of foils for the VG as he doesn't yet have VG funding.

10 minutes ago, jb5 said:

reminds me of the Gitana 17 tri's foils with the very fine tips.  Same designer Verdier.  For this boat its probably the first and final set of foils for the VG as he doesn't yet have VG funding.

more I was looking the slight "W" shape at the board elbow. They are working on the root of the starboard board in the pic

1 hour ago, ctutmark said:

more I was looking the slight "W" shape at the board elbow. They are working on the root of the starboard board in the pic

Have to assume that the W section isn't going to retract into the boat at all.:o

Interesting and different design to other IMOCA to date.

I did read speculation that Charal may go more the curved route of HB with its 2nd gen foils but waiting for the TJV to make any firm moves.

Just a guess but I tend to think with the imperfect foiling available to these boats currently the final foil shape probably isn't as important as the outright size to give lift and then how you adjust them  

If I understand well, the tip is supposed to stay OUT of the water, so you do not have any tip vortex and therefore reduce drag...

Or maybe I should say reduced tip vortex, since the junction high pressure/low pressure in the water flow is not at the tip of the foil, but at the surface/interface with air.

They are not that heavy, resting on some styrofoam...

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

They are not that heavy, resting on some styrofoam...

Its amazing how much weight you can support on a few blocks.

Should have used sarcasm front. 150kg maybe ?
Duck duck go to the rescue, 2016 foil was 150 to 200 kg. (Tip&Shaft info)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Puntone said:

Do you know what happens to Malizia . She seems stopped and anchrored ?

She is dropping an injured crew person off.  Nothing serious they say.  Precaution.

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/imoca-bateaux-neufs-construction-nouveau-arkea-hugo-boss-apivia-corum.html#.XXJJjmPYphE

Summary of the new IMOCA released to date plus Thomas' which is now due tomorrow.

Five new IMOCA launched in 6 weeks, the Vendée Globe 2020 is already being played
The launch of the new IMOCA has accelerated this summer with no less than 5 new boats launched in just over 6 weeks! In total, eight new IMOCA will have been built in the perspective of the Vendée Globe 2020. Review details.

Instagram_alex_thomson_racing_66448821_510293726381154_5753620578270862345_n.jpg
Credit: Lloyd Images

For a month and a half, a new IMOCA will have been launched on average every week! In order, Sebastien Simon's Arkea-Paprec on July 20, Alex Thomson's Hugo Boss , Charlie Dalin's Apivia , and Kojiro Shiraishi's DMG Mori. Tomorrow Saturday, September 7, Thomas Ruyant will launch his brand new Advens for cybersecurity. Two other new IMOCA are currently under construction, Corum l'Epargne by Nicolas Troussel and L'Occitane d'Armel Tripon.

Sébastien Simon (Arkea-Paprec): "the boat has a great potential"
Sébastien Simon's team was the first to draw this summer, putting the new Arkea-Paprec (Kouyoumdjian plan) on the 20th of July. Since then, navigations have multiplied. "We have seen that the boat has great potential. We are confident about our choices. We have a good margin of progress and already prospects for evolution. These boats are mechanically complicated, the development takes time and we hope to be almost 100% of the potential at the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre.

"The hull closest to ours, namely, powerful and tense, is that of Apivia. Charal and Hugo Boss have really different shapes, more round and "rocky". We all have foils of our own. We'll see in a few months what real differences in performance there may be. "

Charlie Dalin (Apivia): "The first real test will be the Transat Jacques Vabre"
Accompanied by his co-skipper Yann Eliès, Charlie Dalin took advantage of the training camp at Pôle Finistère to carry out his first speed tests, with of course a close look at Charal and Arkea-Paprec. "Given the boat's youth, we're doing pretty well. We talk a lot about hull and foils but we must not forget the engine of the boat, namely the sails. I am very satisfied, the sails are interesting for a first throw. The first real test will be the Transat Jacques Vabre. At the end of this race, which looks very much like the beginning of the Vendée Globe, we will see more clearly and how to be compared to the others. "

Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss): "we are not afraid to explore"
True to his reputation, Alex Thomson hit hard by presenting in early August, the new IMOCA in the colors of Hugo Boss (VPLP plan). "We innovate, we push our limits and we are not afraid to do things differently. We may not always be right and we accept it. But we are not afraid to explore things that have never been done before. " 

The "rocket" detonates with its completely closed cockpit which, in addition to providing better protection, offers an unobstructed view of what is happening at the front of the boat. The cockpit is integrated in the hull, the center of gravity is lowered, as the boom and therefore the wing, which optimizes the aerodynamics.

Alex Thomson plays the card of the difference in the foils. Huge and curved, they do not look like anything seen in IMOCA.

Kojiro Shiraishi (DMG Mori) in the mussels of Charal
Recently launched on September 2nd, DMG Mori, Kojiro Shiraishi's new IMOCA is a VPLP plan built in the Charal mussels. "I could not finish the Vendée Globe 2016-2017 because of a dismasting but I found a new sponsor who agreed to build a new IMOCA. "

After the baptism of DMG Mori, September 11 in Lorient, Kojiro Shiraishi and his team will make the first sailing and begin the development of the boat. The Japanese will start from the Transat Jacques Vabre, alongside a co-skipper who has not yet announced. "I can not wait to sail to the competition to see what I can do, especially with the other new IMOCAs that all look great."

Thomas Ruyant (Advens for cybersecurity): "It's fantastic to be part of this story"
This will be the last launch of the summer: Saturday, the IMOCA Thomas Ruyant (Verdier plan) will come out of the yard. " It's interesting because the new IMOCA have been designed by different architects. They are pushed into their entrenchments. It's fantastic to be part of this story with, I imagine, a very nice boat. The IMOCA we are getting closer to is Apivia, because it was designed by the same architect and on the same bases of plans. "

" With my team, we wanted a versatile boat, reliable, robust, "easy" to use. We also worked a lot on the sails file. We have taken different options at this level. "

• Like 1

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/le-nouvel-imoca-de-thomas-ruyant-se-devoile-mise-a-leau-demain.html#.XXJ2xGPYphE

Here we go.  Per previous pictures, much less curve to the foils with fairly flat section and very fine tips.  Not retracting those very far.  No pictures of the cockpit yet.  Even painted it still looks like a beast.

Google translation

The new IMOCA Thomas Ruyant unveiled in Lorient before its launch tomorrow
Thomas Ruyant today proceeded to the construction site of his latest IMOCA, prelude to the launch planned tomorrow at Lorient-La Base. " The boat is bursting with all the splendor of its lines, its colors and its foils."

newboat_advens.jpg

Credit: P.Bouras

Partner search
Several investors have already been seduced, allowing the construction of this new 60-foot IMOCA on Verdier plans.

Advens, a leader in Cybersecurity, is one of the first to join. "TR Racing is a very professional structure that has just been proven in technology with the construction of Advens for Cybersecurity" says Alexandre Fayeulle, CEO of Advens.

TR Racing is looking for partners for the 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons. Focus on the Vendée Globe, the Solitaire Urgo Le Figaro or The Ocean Race.

Thomas Ruyant, skipper: 
 "It's a happy day for the entire TR Racing team, but also for the architects (Guillaume Verdier and the boat manufacturer (Persico).) The boat is bursting with all the splendor of its lines, colors and colors. The construction chapter is coming to an end, and we will open tomorrow with the actual launching, a new era in the navigation mode of the Vendée Globe sailboats, and it's up to us to tame it! "

Antoine Koch (Co-Skipper for the Transat Jacques Vabre): 
"This day generates great impatience to discover on the water all the secrets of the boat. The goal is to "decode" the boat in preparation for Thomas's Vendée Globe next year. We have one year to find all the keys to the good operation of Advens for Cybersecurity. "

imoca_advens.jpg
By the Editor
Source: TB Press

8 minutes ago, jb5 said:

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/le-nouvel-imoca-de-thomas-ruyant-se-devoile-mise-a-leau-demain.html#.XXJ2xGPYphE

Here we go.  Per previous pictures, much less curve to the foils with fairly flat section and very fine tips.  Not retracting those very far.  No pictures of the cockpit yet.  Even painted it still looks like a beast.

Google translation

The new IMOCA Thomas Ruyant unveiled in Lorient before its launch tomorrow
Thomas Ruyant today proceeded to the construction site of his latest IMOCA, prelude to the launch planned tomorrow at Lorient-La Base. " The boat is bursting with all the splendor of its lines, its colors and its foils."

newboat_advens.jpg

Credit: P.Bouras

Partner search
Several investors have already been seduced, allowing the construction of this new 60-foot IMOCA on Verdier plans.

Advens, a leader in Cybersecurity, is one of the first to join. "TR Racing is a very professional structure that has just been proven in technology with the construction of Advens for Cybersecurity" says Alexandre Fayeulle, CEO of Advens.

TR Racing is looking for partners for the 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons. Focus on the Vendée Globe, the Solitaire Urgo Le Figaro or The Ocean Race.

Thomas Ruyant, skipper: 
 "It's a happy day for the entire TR Racing team, but also for the architects (Guillaume Verdier and the boat manufacturer (Persico).) The boat is bursting with all the splendor of its lines, colors and colors. The construction chapter is coming to an end, and we will open tomorrow with the actual launching, a new era in the navigation mode of the Vendée Globe sailboats, and it's up to us to tame it! "

Antoine Koch (Co-Skipper for the Transat Jacques Vabre): 
"This day generates great impatience to discover on the water all the secrets of the boat. The goal is to "decode" the boat in preparation for Thomas's Vendée Globe next year. We have one year to find all the keys to the good operation of Advens for Cybersecurity. "

imoca_advens.jpg
By the Editor
Source: TB Press

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/imoca-thomas-ruyant-presente-son-nouveau-plan-verdier-video-06-09-2019-12376287.php

and more...it's better on the link than below.

Thomas Ruyant presents his new Verdier plan [video]

Posted on 06 September 2019 at 16h08 

After more than a year of construction, nearly 50,000 hours of work, including more than half at Persico in Italy, Thomas Ruyant released his Imoca monohull this Friday at Lorient La Base. The Imoca, signed Guillaume Verdier, will be launched this Saturday, the first navigation being scheduled in a week. The northern skipper will participate in the Transat Jacques Vabre with Antoine Koch.

The 60 feet was not built in Brittany but it is yet a hangar Lorient that he left this Friday at La Base. The monohull will be launched Saturday and Thomas Ruyant has planned to sail next weekend. If he has a partner who accompanies him on the Transat Jacques Vabre and until the end of the year, the northern skipper must still find a title partner for the Vendée Globe 2020.

image: https://www.letelegramme.fr/images/2019/09/06/des-foils-assez-impressionnants_4786539_540x273p.jpg

Pretty impressive foils Pretty impressive foils (Pierre Bouras)

© Le Télégramme https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/imoca-thomas-ruyant-presente-son-nouveau-plan-verdier-video-06-09-2019-12376287.php#1XGiociJZ1X8IimL.99

• Like 2

https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft.com/tip-shaft-176-jrmie-beyou-charal-est-capable-de-voler-presque-100-quels-concurrents-pour-the-ocean-race?e=9a497c6fa7

Very interesting interview with Jérémie Beyou (Charal).  Possible to foil almost 100% of the time which is attributed to longer shafts.  Hull optimized for high speeds, drags water at 8-10 knots. 12-17 kn does not exist, goes right to 17. New foils coming in Feb/March.  He wont speak to the shape.  No plans to do TOR.  Maybe Ultim.  Interesting comments on the competition.  He feels the boat is now highly reliable. 

• Like 1

http://www.courseaularge.com/thomas-ruyant-imoca-advens-mis-a-leau.html

Pictures on the link.  Impressive organization Thomas has put together.

Google translation

Thomas Ruyant proceeded this Friday at the exit of the site of his Imoca prelude to a launch planned this Saturday at Lorient-La Base. Based on the plans of Guillaume Verdier's Super Sixty designed to compete in the former Volvo Ocean Race, Thomas Ruyant's team with Antoine Koch drew him an IMOCA capable of competing with the other 8 new generation IMOCA newcomers who will take the start of the next Vendée Globe. By then, the timing will be tight for Thomas to come on the Azimut Challenge to confront the others before participating in the Transat Jacques Vabre.
TR Racing is the structure founded in February 2018 by Thomas Ruyant with the aim of offering potential partners ocean projects "turnkey". By integrating the management of all the technical, logistical and sporting parameters of a high-performance racing yacht, TR Racing brings to every advertiser the leisure to manage his own communication around an eminently professional project, totally dedicated to the performance and sharing the adventure and innovation values of deep-sea sailing.

A technical, logistical and sporting structure, TR Racing opens the door to all the potential of communication specific to sailing and offshore racing. It has already attracted several investors who have allowed the construction of this new 60-foot IMOCA monohull on Verdier plans.

The company Advens, a leader in Cybersecurity, and who accompanies Thomas since the Transat Jacques Vabre 2015, is one of the first to join and marry for the year 2019 TR Racing technology and sports project. "TR Racing is a very professional structure that has just been proven in technology with the construction of Advens for Cybersecurity" says Alexandre Fayeulle, CEO of Advens. "The team has a very high technical know-how. It is now muscle marketing and marketing services and communication programs around offshore racing. There is huge potential for commercial development around races and these Formula 1 seas. There is indisputably a market to exploit with companies like Advens, anchored in the world of new technologies and Tech. "

"TR Racing puts on the market of the Vendée Globe an exceptional and unique offer," explains Marcus Hutchinson, Team Manager. "A state-of-the-art boat, a homogeneous and highly professional team, and a skipper knowledgeable of his art, all turnkey, to seize for any company eager to taste the thrill of the Vendée Globe! "

The company currently consists of 13 employees who work in different areas (design office, technical, communication ...).

TR Racing is looking for partners for the 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons. Focus on the Vendée Globe, the Solitaire Urgo Le Figaro or The Ocean Race ...

They said :

Thomas Ruyant: "It's a happy day for all the TR Racing team, but also for the architects (Guillaume Verdier and the boat manufacturer (Persico).) The boat is bursting with all the splendor of its lines, its colors The construction chapter is coming to an end, and we will open tomorrow with the actual launch, a new era in the navigation mode of the Vendée Globe sailboats. 'master all the subtleties.

Antoine Koch (Co-Skipper for the Transat Jacques Vabre): "This day generates great impatience to discover on the water all the secrets of the boat. The goal is to "decode" the boat in preparation for Thomas's Vendée Globe next year. We have one year to provide Thomas with all the keys to making Advens for Cybersecurity work. "

Thomas Ruyant: Skipper
Antoine Koch: Co-Skipper
Marcus Hutchinson: Team Manager
Laurent Bourguès: Boat Captain
François Pernelle: Design Manager
Madeleine Marchant: Marketing Manager
Lucas Montagne: Electronics Manager
Christophe Dansart: Composite Manager
Simon Vasseur: Seamanship and Rigging Manager
Arthur Bois: Preparator
Antoine Brunel: Seaman Technician
Frederic Teil: Seaman Technician
Pascal Fayot: Composite Technician

just looking at the pics and videos from the Arkea official launch event- Here's a pic from their FB page

Appears they added a circular hull opening in the hull on the starboard side just forward of the foils, lower right corner of the image. 

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky and outdoor

The paint edge makes it look like a recent addition. Have not seen the port side to see if there's a twin on the other side. What is it? 

just looking at the pics and videos from the Arkea official launch event- Here's a pic from their FB page

Appears they added a circular hull opening in the hull on the starboard side just forward of the foils, lower right corner of the image. 

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky and outdoor

The paint edge makes it look like a recent addition. Have not seen the port side to see if there's a twin on the other side. What is it? 

A few ideas

Maybe a water ballast drain or foil casing drain. Possibly via gravity for use after tack/jib so its to leeward?  Would be one on each side. Given where it is if its remaining it would have to open and close.  Looks pretty big though.

Was also thinking maybe it was made for a hull core sample to confirm there is nothing banned in the build and not yet repaired but it looks too well finished.

Or maybe they had access issues fixing something with the foil casing (barings, etc) or electrical issues.  On the Fastnet the lost electrical power and destroyed a lot of equipment due to water ingress.

42 minutes ago, jb5 said:

A few ideas

Maybe a water ballast drain or foil casing drain. Possibly via gravity for use after tack/jib so its to leeward?  Would be one on each side. Given where it is if its remaining it would have to open and close.  Looks pretty big though.

Was also thinking maybe it was made for a hull core sample to confirm there is nothing banned in the build and not yet repaired but it looks too well finished.

Or maybe they had access issues fixing something with the foil casing (barings, etc) or electrical issues.  On the Fastnet the lost electrical power and destroyed a lot of equipment due to water ingress.

It's painted, so no on samples or temporary access ports.  I'm going with Juan K getting weird about something after the boat's sailed a bit.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 4:24 PM, jb5 said:

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/imoca-thomas-ruyant-presente-son-nouveau-plan-verdier-video-06-09-2019-12376287.php

and more...it's better on the link than below.

Thomas Ruyant presents his new Verdier plan [video]

Posted on 06 September 2019 at 16h08 

After more than a year of construction, nearly 50,000 hours of work, including more than half at Persico in Italy, Thomas Ruyant released his Imoca monohull this Friday at Lorient La Base. The Imoca, signed Guillaume Verdier, will be launched this Saturday, the first navigation being scheduled in a week. The northern skipper will participate in the Transat Jacques Vabre with Antoine Koch.

The 60 feet was not built in Brittany but it is yet a hangar Lorient that he left this Friday at La Base. The monohull will be launched Saturday and Thomas Ruyant has planned to sail next weekend. If he has a partner who accompanies him on the Transat Jacques Vabre and until the end of the year, the northern skipper must still find a title partner for the Vendée Globe 2020.

image: https://www.letelegramme.fr/images/2019/09/06/des-foils-assez-impressionnants_4786539_540x273p.jpg

Pretty impressive foils Pretty impressive foils (Pierre Bouras)

© Le Télégramme https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/imoca-thomas-ruyant-presente-son-nouveau-plan-verdier-video-06-09-2019-12376287.php#1XGiociJZ1X8IimL.99

Same as or similar to Apivia?

Ha, ha. Might feel a bit like that deep in the Southern Ocean, Yves-Marie.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, Puntone said:

Do you know what happens to Malizia . She seems stopped and anchrored ?

On 9/7/2019 at 12:02 AM, jb5 said:

She is dropping an injured crew person off.  Nothing serious they say.  Precaution.

Apparently they hit something and came to a crash stop, pretty frightening really.

Video with the crew's story does not embed, but you'll find it on their homepage if you scroll down to the video section. It's under the heading "Team Malizia" with the injured girl's head in a nice bandage. Definitely worth a look!

https://team-malizia.com/en/home/

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

Same as or similar to Apivia?

Similar sister ships but probably different molds since they were built in different yards.  The deck is different.

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/imoca-advens-mise-eau-thomas-ruyant-nouveau-bateau-monocoque-foil-verdier-images.html#.XXT6ODXYphE

Thomas Ruyant's boat launched. 

IMG_20190908_001558.jpg

IMG_20190908_002134.jpg

IMG_20190908_002214.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Credit: E.Allaire

Google translation

Thomas Ruyant's brand new foiler, plans Verdier, was launched yesterday. After nearly 50,000 hours of work, including more than half at Persico in Bergamo (Italy), IMOCA Advens for Cybersecurity has joined its natural element in Lorient. "We expect a fiery boat. It's going to be violent! " 

"A big job of our design office"

Stretched lines, center of gravity lowered, sail plan retreated, low freeboard with this bridge "in basin", Advens for Cybersecurity does not present the hull more extreme. "The boat is innovative in many respects and not everything comes from Guillaume Verdier.There was also a lot of work from our design office, which brought his own experience and experience, combined with my desires. " continues Thomas Ruyant.

" I want to still see the sea when I sail and I have not opted for a totally enclosed cockpit. I preferred to add a window that allows me to observe the bow while performing my maneuvers. "

Foils and extreme sail plan
Hull less extreme, robustness of the systems, ergonomics thought for Thomas, it is well on the side of the foils and the plan of wing that TR Racing played the card of the most extreme choices. " We've beefed up the hull, strengthening the areas around the foils, and opting for this deck that adds stiffness. This allows us to see bigger in terms of foils that are really huge. " 

And this orientation was inseparable from a deep reflection conducted jointly with Antoine Koch around the sail plan. " This one is very remote, " says Thomas Rushing. "He is very much inspired by multihulls, since we will sail at speeds close to those of multiple hull sailboats. 

Our outriggers usually limit the adjustment of our sails. We wanted them smaller and flatter, better adapted to the angles that we will have to choose in support of our foils. "

First nav 'before the Transat Jacques Vabre
"We are looking forward to attacking the first outings very quickly, and an exciting discovery phase is waiting for us, which we will approach patiently and methodically.The Transat Jacques Vabre, which I will be competing with Antoine Koch, comes at the right moment to offer us the best test bench possible, in the race. "

• Like 2

21 hours ago, r.finn said:

It's painted, so no on samples or temporary access ports.  I'm going with Juan K getting weird about something after the boat's sailed a bit.

Could well be.  A very interesting change.  Someone is bound to ask them about it but will they say anything.  Doubtful.

23 hours ago, ctutmark said:

...  What is it? 

Looking at the shape of the opening and the shadow in the hole it looks as if it is angled both forward and upwards, and looks as if it might intersect the deck near the midline forward of the mast. Given its size (not exactly small), and that angle, suggests it is intended to drain significant volumes of water from that area of deck. Maybe there is a more human friendly area there (ie actually concave), and it needs draining under some circumstances.  Or maybe there is a magical sail handling setup that makes life easier for the skipper, and that needs a serious drain. But why the drain would be an add on, dunno, still seems odd.

The feathered edge of the paint seems pretty wide for a simple hole, maybe there was some more significant messing with hull. Or just a very enthusiastic painter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Looking at the shape of the opening and the shadow in the hole it looks as if it is angled both forward and upwards, and looks as if it might intersect the deck near the midline forward of the mast. Given its size (not exactly small), and that angle, suggests it is intended to drain significant volumes of water from that area of deck. Maybe there is a more human friendly area there (ie actually concave), and it needs draining under some circumstances.  Or maybe there is a magical sail handling setup that makes life easier for the skipper, and that needs a serious drain. But why the drain would be an add on, dunno, still seems odd.

The feathered edge of the paint seems pretty wide for a simple hole, maybe there was some more significant messing with hull. Or just a very enthusiastic painter.

Agreed on the angle of the pipe. I am wondering if it's something relating to the 90 degree test. Done on one side to verify before they do the port side 

Or as someone suggested it's the down below "peeing hole"? 

9 hours ago, jb5 said:

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/imoca-advens-mise-eau-thomas-ruyant-nouveau-bateau-monocoque-foil-verdier-images.html#.XXT6ODXYphE

Thomas Ruyant's boat launched. 

IMG_20190908_001558.jpg

IMG_20190908_002134.jpg

IMG_20190908_002214.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Credit: E.Allaire

Google translation

Thomas Ruyant's brand new foiler, plans Verdier, was launched yesterday. After nearly 50,000 hours of work, including more than half at Persico in Bergamo (Italy), IMOCA Advens for Cybersecurity has joined its natural element in Lorient. "We expect a fiery boat. It's going to be violent! " 

"A big job of our design office"

Stretched lines, center of gravity lowered, sail plan retreated, low freeboard with this bridge "in basin", Advens for Cybersecurity does not present the hull more extreme. "The boat is innovative in many respects and not everything comes from Guillaume Verdier.There was also a lot of work from our design office, which brought his own experience and experience, combined with my desires. " continues Thomas Ruyant.

" I want to still see the sea when I sail and I have not opted for a totally enclosed cockpit. I preferred to add a window that allows me to observe the bow while performing my maneuvers. "

Foils and extreme sail plan
Hull less extreme, robustness of the systems, ergonomics thought for Thomas, it is well on the side of the foils and the plan of wing that TR Racing played the card of the most extreme choices. " We've beefed up the hull, strengthening the areas around the foils, and opting for this deck that adds stiffness. This allows us to see bigger in terms of foils that are really huge. " 

And this orientation was inseparable from a deep reflection conducted jointly with Antoine Koch around the sail plan. " This one is very remote, " says Thomas Rushing. "He is very much inspired by multihulls, since we will sail at speeds close to those of multiple hull sailboats. 

Our outriggers usually limit the adjustment of our sails. We wanted them smaller and flatter, better adapted to the angles that we will have to choose in support of our foils. "

First nav 'before the Transat Jacques Vabre
"We are looking forward to attacking the first outings very quickly, and an exciting discovery phase is waiting for us, which we will approach patiently and methodically.The Transat Jacques Vabre, which I will be competing with Antoine Koch, comes at the right moment to offer us the best test bench possible, in the race. "

Looks like it could be very wet ride.

All that water collecting in the foredeck jacuzzi could makes things a tad interesting. Can't wait to see these new weapons line up for a scrap!

6 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

All that water collecting in the foredeck jacuzzi could makes things a tad interesting

I think you just answered ctutmark’s question about the drain holes on Paprec. 

18 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I think you just answered ctutmark’s question about the drain holes on Paprec. 

Maybe, Francis.

8 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Looks like it could be very wet ride.

All that water collecting in the foredeck jacuzzi could makes things a tad interesting. Can't wait to see these new weapons line up for a scrap!

I don't know if that foredeck has a bailer, but regardless, that concave should hold far less water than it would seem while under sail. I'd bet the designers called any accumulation negligible.

23 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

All that water collecting in the foredeck jacuzzi could makes things a tad interesting.

Its been a trend with Macif since 2012, originally it was to easily store sails outside without them going everywhere I believe then designers realised they could lower cg with it I guess... now they're all over it, imagine folding the boat lengthways basically. As for drainage, the water doesn't stay there a lot since the boat is constantly heeled over. 

6 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Its been a trend with Macif since 2012, originally it was to easily store sails outside without them going everywhere I believe then designers realised they could lower cg with it I guess... now they're all over it, imagine folding the boat lengthways basically. As for drainage, the water doesn't stay there a lot since the boat is constantly heeled over. 

Charal also seems to be a little like that. Agree that with the heeling it probably doesn't hold water. Wondering if they all will close up the cockpits more once the TJV is done to reduce water weight in that area. 

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/imoca-charal-machine-infernale-videos-10-09-2019-12378887.php

Charal testing.  A few short but good videos on the link as well

A few excerpts.

With 20 knots of wind and a relatively calm sea, 60 feet of Jérémie Beyou reached speeds of 25 to 30 knots. With a peak at 34 knots .... All, without any stress and with total control on board. We admit, it was brutal (sometimes), wet (a lot) and impressive (all the time)!

And we remember the anxious faces of Jérémie Beyou and his teammates when the machine was racing, when it began to accelerate, to climb on his foil, to pitch up and fall suddenly ... A year ago, the first Outings were rock'n'roll because no one had the directions for use.

"We all agree that Imoca boats are very complex, they are very technical, admits Beyou. We have foils that move in two dimensions, a keel that rocks ... So it takes a lot of work and requires a big team behind.

apres-un-an-de-mise-au-point-charal-vole-parfois-a-plus-de_4792700.jpg

After a year of development, Charal sometimes flies at more than 30 knots ... (Photo DR)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/imoca-charal-machine-infernale-videos-10-09-2019-12378887.php

Charal testing.  A few short but good videos on the link as well

A few excerpts.

With 20 knots of wind and a relatively calm sea, 60 feet of Jérémie Beyou reached speeds of 25 to 30 knots. With a peak at 34 knots .... All, without any stress and with total control on board. We admit, it was brutal (sometimes), wet (a lot) and impressive (all the time)!

And we remember the anxious faces of Jérémie Beyou and his teammates when the machine was racing, when it began to accelerate, to climb on his foil, to pitch up and fall suddenly ... A year ago, the first Outings were rock'n'roll because no one had the directions for use.

"We all agree that Imoca boats are very complex, they are very technical, admits Beyou. We have foils that move in two dimensions, a keel that rocks ... So it takes a lot of work and requires a big team behind.

apres-un-an-de-mise-au-point-charal-vole-parfois-a-plus-de_4792700.jpg

After a year of development, Charal sometimes flies at more than 30 knots ... (Photo DR)

Closing the cockpit is getting more appealing by the minute.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

http://www.defi-azimut.net/fr

Coming up next week, mix of new and old boats. 

Pretty much all of the top TJV IMOCA duo's are scheduled to be there including all the new boats launched so far except HB (of course). DMG MORI, Charal, Arkea, Apivia and Advens (Thomas Ruyant).

3 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Pretty much all of the top TJV IMOCA duo's are scheduled to be there including all the new boats launched so far except HB (of course). DMG MORI, Charal, Arkea, Apivia and Advens (Thomas Ruyant).

Didn't see Apivia (C. Dalin) in the entry list, hopefully a late add

Didn't see Apivia (C. Dalin) in the entry list, hopefully a late add

You're right.  I saw Apicil not Apivia... Confusing....  

18 hours ago, jb5 said:

You're right.  I saw Apicil not Apivia... Confusing....  

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/defi-azimut-imoca-lorient-course-charal-apivia-arkea-advens.html#.XXjjDDXYphE

Apivia is now apparently on the starting list.

DEFI AZIMUT - THE PROGRAM:
Wednesday 18 September
- 2.30 pm: Exit of the port.
- From 15:30 to 18:00: Runs off Lorient. Each IMOCA should be able to complete three to four runs. The boats are crewed with a maximum of 8 people.

Thursday, September 19th
- 11:00 am: Port Exit
- 1:00 pm: 48 hours Azimut departure. Course of about 500 miles to be defined by the race director Jacques Caraës. Duplicate race.

Sunday, September 22
- 11 am: Exit the port.
- 1 pm: Departure of the Tour de Groix. Crew of 5 (6 for mixed tandems)
- 5 pm: Azimut Challenge 2019 award ceremony.

• Like 1

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/pascal-bidegorry-co-skipper-imoca-transat-jacques-vabre-charlie-enright.html#.XXjkZzXYphE

Pascal Bidegorry co skipper on 11th hour (ex HB) for Azimut and TJV.  Should be very interesting and probably competitive.

Google translation
Pascal Bidégorry looks back on the Transat Jacques Vabre. He will team up with American skipper Charlie Enright aboard IMOCA 11th Hour Racing (formerly Hugo Boss). " We can not wait to arrive in Le Havre on October 18th!"

unnamed.jpg
Credit: A.Ross

The duo will compete on 11th Hour Racing, formerly Hugo Boss who has already participated in the Transat Jacques Vabre 2015 and finished second on the Vendée Globe 2016.

"We are in full preparation for the Transat Jacques Vabre. We can not wait to arrive in Le Havre on October 18th! " Said Charlie Enright, head of the Ocean Race project, and today co-skipper with Pascal Bidégorry.

Recently, the French sailor was the navigator of Dongfeng Race Team, winner of the Ocean Race in 2017-18.

Pascal Bidégorry: "really happy to be here"
"We started working almost two months ago with the team, including the entire team on shore, focusing on the boat's performance," Bidégorry said. "We still have a lot to do but I'm really happy to be here. "

The duo will participate in the Challenge Azimut next week in Lorient. Training is also planned with the new Apivia, skippered by Charlie Dalin.

Rats

Nothing wrong.  Just a picture of them moving the boat pre-mast step.  Its since had the mast stepped and done the 90 degree test I think. They are moving fairly slowly in setup but should be at Azimut.

3 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Nothing wrong.  Just a picture of them moving the boat pre-mast step.  Its since had the mast stepped and done the 90 degree test I think. They are moving fairly slowly in setup but should be at Azimut.

Gotcha, thought they'd punted the rig.

4 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

Gotcha, thought they'd punted the rig.

Sorry, I should have done the translation before. Just basically says they are looking forward to racing against the other new boats.

35 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Sorry, I should have done the translation before. Just basically says they are looking forward to racing against the other new boats.

Pic looks like the entrance to Lorient, La Jument marker. Headed to La Base for their Lorima rig

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 1:15 PM, jb5 said:

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/pascal-bidegorry-co-skipper-imoca-transat-jacques-vabre-charlie-enright.html#.XXjkZzXYphE

Pascal Bidegorry co skipper on 11th hour (ex HB) for Azimut and TJV.  Should be very interesting and probably competitive.

Google translation
Pascal Bidégorry looks back on the Transat Jacques Vabre. He will team up with American skipper Charlie Enright aboard IMOCA 11th Hour Racing (formerly Hugo Boss). " We can not wait to arrive in Le Havre on October 18th!"

unnamed.jpg
Credit: A.Ross

The duo will compete on 11th Hour Racing, formerly Hugo Boss who has already participated in the Transat Jacques Vabre 2015 and finished second on the Vendée Globe 2016.

"We are in full preparation for the Transat Jacques Vabre. We can not wait to arrive in Le Havre on October 18th! " Said Charlie Enright, head of the Ocean Race project, and today co-skipper with Pascal Bidégorry.

Recently, the French sailor was the navigator of Dongfeng Race Team, winner of the Ocean Race in 2017-18.

Pascal Bidégorry: "really happy to be here"
"We started working almost two months ago with the team, including the entire team on shore, focusing on the boat's performance," Bidégorry said. "We still have a lot to do but I'm really happy to be here. "

The duo will participate in the Challenge Azimut next week in Lorient. Training is also planned with the new Apivia, skippered by Charlie Dalin.

Be cool to see if this can actually kick the arses of the current generation IMOCA's as Alex Thomson claims. 

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/prb-imoca-kevin-escoffier-nicolas-lunven-monocoque-transat-jacques-vabre-defi-azimut.html#.XXuEezXYphE

PRB is still an excellent boat and a potential TJV winner   Getting its foils revised.  Will be interesting to follow as always esp. if the newest boats hit teething issues 

Google translation

The big departure of the Transat Jacques Vabre is approaching. Kevin Escoffier and Nicolas Lunven continue to rack up the miles. The last training course organized by the Finistère Offshore Racing Cluster ended Wednesday after 24 hours spent off with 5 other IMOCA. A new " interesting and rewarding " navigation . What to take a little more confidence a few weeks to start on his first transatlantic aboard PRB with Nicolas Lunven.

prb_riou_escoffier.jpg
Credit: Y Riou

Kevin Escoffier: "almost in contact with new boats"
Kevin Escoffier's first assessment of this confrontation (with Charlie Dalin's Apivia, Damien Seguin's Apicil, Jérémie Beyou's Charal, Samantha Davies' Heart Initiatives, Romain Attanasio's Pure )  is very positive. " We see that we manage to distance the boats of the same generation as ours and that we come to be almost in contact with new boats. These are obviously more comfortable than us in all phases of reaching and wearing a little lofé, but that we already knew. Our boat holds the rope very well knowing that we still have plenty of possible developments. It's really very encouraging for the future! "

Azimut Challenge in Lorient
On Thursday, Team PRB released the foils to make changes to their impact. These changes should allow IMOCA to "take off" earlier in order to get as close as possible to the potential of new boats on this aspect.

Once the foils are in place, the boat will be transported to Lorient to participate in the Azimut Challenge . On the program for Kevin Escoffier and Nicolas Lunven, 5 days of competition between runs and regattas against 22 competitors.

By the Editor
Source: PRB

The rebuilt PRB is no more reliable than the last generation of foilers. In fact, PRB has probably done fewer miles than most boats built for the last VG.

its done a couple of transatlantics as Arkea and did very well in the Fastnet.  I wouldn't write it off esp. against so many new boats that have done almost nothing yet.  If the first few days of the TJV are rough I would expect PRB to have a shot and to run near the front regardless.

Watching them fly at times even without rudder foils makes me wonder if you could achieve stable flight with a wand activated aero trim tab. 

33 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Watching them fly at times even without rudder foils makes me wonder if you could achieve stable flight with a wand activated aero trim tab

Interesting concept but with all the drag and motion from the foils, keel, rudders and stern when it touches down would the resulting 'flight' be powerful and sensitive enough to respond to aero changes?  The speeds involved are low when compared to aircraft.

Hydro trim tabs are banned now and the wand such as on a Moth I don't think would be allowed within the appendages rule.

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

its done a couple of transatlantics as Arkea and did very well in the Fastnet.  I wouldn't write it off esp. against so many new boats that have done almost nothing yet.  If the first few days of the TJV are rough I would expect PRB to have a shot and to run near the front regardless.

Not ruling prb out at all. But was an extremely light build and spans multiple generations. Whether it is going to hold together after refit is TBD. 

• Like 1