QBF

Ingrate son pushes BMW birthday present into river - wanted Jaguar

How's this for being an ungrateful snot...

A man in India has pushed a brand new car into a river because he was upset his parents gave him a BMW instead of a Jaguar for his birthday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7348613/Indian-man-pushes-birthday-present-BMW-river-angry-wasnt-Jaguar.html

In an act of protest over not getting the vehicle he wanted, the man known as Akash ditched the car, but later jumped into the river and joined drivers to try and save it.

BMW.1.jpg.a4578b918a79f960f9a844cd9a469835.jpg

BMWs cost around 3.5 million rupees (£41,400; $49,000) locally, while Jaguars are more expensive, costing about five million rupees (£58,000, $70,000).   

Shocking footage shows the car floating away on the river in the northern Indian state before it gets stuck on a bank of tall grass.

BMW.2.jpg.904f641e5c167910ba6eb59707e750fe.jpg

Since the video has gone viral, people have hit out at the driver online, accusing him of being ungrateful.

One person said: 'Your parents did not teach you the concepts of gifts.'

Spoilt little shit, I do hope the parents make him strip it and rebuild it at his expense.

Perhaps it will help him understand the value of money.

Wanker 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, QBF said:

A man in India has pushed a brand new car into a river because he was upset his parents gave him a BMW instead of a Jaguar for his birthday.

firste worldes problemes poppeng up alle overte!                       :)

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Spoilt little shit, I do hope the parents make him strip it and rebuild it at his expense.

Wanker 

Evidently they've gone the "money in lieu of actual parenting" route thus far, why would they change now?

With parents like that they'll probably buy him a Jaguar now …..

Joke is sort of on him if he ends up with the Jaguar.   Are they still as unreliable as the Jaguars of old?

Or are they a BMW under a Jaguar badge.

I'd be pissed at a 3 series as well.  If thet really loved me its a 5 series at a minimum, M baged at least.  Now since i am the golden boy,  its the 7 or nothing,  i deserve the 8 though and i am gonna hold my breath till i get it.  B)

7 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I'd be pissed at a 3 series as well.  If thet really loved me its a 5 series at a minimum, M baged at least.  Now since i am the golden boy,  its the 7 or nothing,  i deserve the 8 though and i am gonna hold my breath till i get it.  B)

don't forget to document you outrage on instastory or whatever!

25 minutes ago, Windward said:

Joke is sort of on him if he ends up with the Jaguar.   Are they still as unreliable as the Jaguars of old?

Over in the Corvette 2020 thread I made a joke that the Brits drank warm beer because refrigeration was by Lucas.  The usually sensible (by my standards) SloopJonB took exception to that statement and told me to get my head out of the 70s. I’ll let other folks drive Jags to see if their reliability has improved.

Jags and BMWs have one thing in common - you don't want to own them once they are out of their warranty if you cannot do it yourself.

1 hour ago, Windward said:

Neither.

Judging by the dead cars at the side of the road waiting for the hook around here, BMW's & Benz's are the most unreliable cars.

Worse than Lambo's.

A dealership mechanic said you should not own a BMW, only lease and dump it before the warranty expires.

My "this century" Jags have been as reliable as the Fords they were related to. "Jag unreliablility" is so last millennium.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Neither.

Judging by the dead cars at the side of the road waiting for the hook around here, BMW's & Benz's are the most unreliable cars.

Worse than Lambo's.

A dealership mechanic said you should not own a BMW, only lease and dump it before the warranty expires.

My "this century" Jags have been as reliable as the Fords they were related to. "Jag unreliablility" is so last millennium.

Piling on to add that the late model used Jags depreciate so quickly that they make a VERY attractive used-car option.  I came real close to picking up a 2014 XJ when my Subaru died - 40K miles, perfect condition, $22K.   Bought my wife a new Honda and took her old one as my commuter beater instead. 

What a fucking jackass.I was happy to get a 69 VW type 3 square back and wish i still had it.Punk ass kids today need a ass kicking.

10 minutes ago, slap said:

Jags and BMWs have one thing in common - you don't want to own them once they are out of their warranty if you cannot do it yourself.

Where does Audi fit into thst rubric? I had 4 Audi’s in the 80s and 90s and reliability was not their strong suit.  Looking at a CPO A5 convertible for my wife but I don’t want to spend my time schlepping back and forth to the Audi dealer who is 30+ miles away.

16 minutes ago, slap said:

I have a 2011 XK8 convertible. It has been trouble free. Perhaps the reputation during their electrical heyday persists past the reality. Or I’m just very lucky I suppose. That would be a first!

My Dad was on a long Navy shipboard deployment to Japan/Vietnam in the early 70's. As an officer he had his own stateroom and policy was that he could bring back anything he bought over there as long as he could fit in in the small stateroom. I'm not sure just how I found out that my Dad had bought a Honda motorcycle (for me!) and I was thrilled. I seem to remember now that he was able to fly home and not make the trip by ship home because he was Ops Officer for Phibron 7 which was headquartered onboard that ship and he was not really part of the day to day operations of the ship hence got to fly home early. I must have heard him saying something to my step Mom about needing to buy a helmet and we all sent shopping and there was an odd diversion to keep my attention elsewhere while he went an bought a cool metalflake blue helmet with the dark tinted bubble visor and snuck back to the car and hid it the trunk. I was on to this surreptitious activity and snuck out to the car and looked in the trunk and found the helmet which only confirmed my expectations of a new Honda on its way from Japan to me! I had been hinting around for about a year and had left brochures for the Honda 175 Enduro 'Scrambler' and couldn't wait to be riding it to school in a couple of weeks when the ship got back to its homeport of Long Beach.

File:1970 Honda SL175.jpg

I told a couple of my buddies about the discovery and was the envy of all. The ship finally made it to LB and it was a couple more days until things were all sorted out and my Dad was able to return to his work office/stateroom and I was about to die from excitement until I could see my new ride. My Dad had worked as a school bus driver while he was still in high school and had used his earnings to by a Cushman Scooter which he assured me got him more attention from the girls (a lot more than that in reality but I didn't want to call my Dad a pussyhound here). I remember fondly on trips back to the family going out to the tractor shed with my Dad and rolling that big old beast out into the daylight and blowing off the dust and knocking off the mud dauber nests and coaxing it back into life. RIding down the dirt roads on Sand Mountain clinging to my Dad are some of my fondest memories and I just knew that the new gleaming Enduro Honda was just an extension of that part of our life.

Image result for cushman scooter

See the heritage in those two machines?

We had to stop by the ship one day on base a couple of days after it got secured at its berth and my Dad was usually great to invite me onboard and would usually have a junior OOD take me on a tour of one of the ships departments to give me a glimpse of the various duties and responsibilities of shipboard life and work. I just loved those tours and the young officer in charge of me would usually deliver me to my Dad's office when he got tired of answering my questions. The office was really a small suite and he had his desk and a couple of chairs in the first compartment and a small sleeping quarters and head off to the side. Usually he would throw me a couple of Naval Institute Proceedings and tell me to go hang out on his bunk and he would finish his business before we would leave. That day though I was taken to the head of the gangplank and told to wait with the OOD until my Dad was done onboard. Why wouldn't he let me come to the cabin? Where was my Honda? Was there really a Honda? Did he buy it for himself? I went nuts and when Dad showed I asked if I could use the head in his stateroom and he refused rather sternly and said to just 'hold it' and we would stop by the canteen ashore for a burger and milkshake and I could relieve myself there. 

I was going nuts for the next couple of days but then there was a rare weekend visit to the ship this time with my Step Mom along which was unusual. This had to be the big reveal and it was hard not to show that I knew what I was going to find when we got to his stateroom. We all went in and the door to the sleeping cabin was closed and Dad sat down at his desk and Mom took a chair and I stood there squirming looking at the door. Finally my Dad said 'why don't you look on my nightstand and see if I have any new Proceedings' and I took that fateful step and opened the door! There awaited not a big powerful 175 Enduro but a tiny folded up Honda Trail 50 and I was shocked!

Image result for honda 70 trail

The photo is of the Trail 70 as sold in the states but for some reason there was a 49cc limit for road use in Japan so I was further cheated out of 21cc's of displacement! It was all I could do not to break down in tears. I just stood there appalled wondering how I would ever be able to face my friends or pull up in the high school parking lot of that TOY. After a long silence, my Dad came to the door when he didn't hear cries of wonder and delight and thanks from me and I just sort of stuttered and stammers a few weak words of thanks. He knew that something was not right with me and glanced at my Step Mom who was never really onboard with the idea of his buying me the bike in the first place. Today I realise the true cost to him (with his wife) for having bought that little bike and love all the more for having done so. 

Now I wouldn't have thrown in the river like the Indian ingrate, but as we rolled it down the long gangway to the wharf I did look down at the water and wonder if maybe it just slipped over the side I could upgrade to the 175...

When we got to the car, it was obvious it wouldn't fit in the trunk of a 69 Mustang Coupe even with those funky fold up handlebars so I was surprised when my Dad reached in the trunk and pulled out the matching blue helmet which had been the source of weeks of anticipation for me. My mood perked up immensely when the reality that I was going to get to ride it across town home but my Dad put the helmet on himself and started the tiny thing up! I had just gotten my drivers license put hadn't put in many miles on the Mustang yet but my Dad reached in his pocket and threw me the car keys and told me to stay behind him as he drove the Mighty Trail 50 home. If I hadn't been already embarrassed at the prospect of ever being seen driving that bike I would have the moment I saw my 6'6" 270 lb Dad roar off down the wharf with his knees up under his chin and that full visored helmet made is even more absurd looking.

My Mom was a wreck being chauffeured by a neophyte and also having to watch my Dad dodge downtown Long Beach traffic with what looked like a kids toy stuck up his ass! 

Truth of the matter was that it didn't take long for that tough little bike to win me over even just driving on the back alleys of Seal Beach and Long Beach. It would get me down to the Sea Scouts base to go sailing and even over to Ray Bay to go surfing. I made a silly board rack for it that was probably the most dangerous thing ever but I was careful to stay off of the main drags. When we move to the foothills and mesas of La Jolla the next year with dirt trails and tracks stretching all the way to NAS MiraMar that the Nifty 50 came into its element. Sure the kids with the Yamaha and Honda 125's and 250's chuckled a bit at the site of me ripping through the dry creek beds on those 11 inch wheels.

I reluctantly sold it before I went off college to one of my buddies who had teased me the most about the tiny bike. If I had taken it to college with me I would probably have ended looking like this!

0a17db71ae6d3b22b691f23dfb96d15b.jpeg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I have a 2011 XK8 convertible. It has been trouble free. Perhaps the reputation during their electrical heyday persists past the reality. Or I’m just very lucky I suppose. That would be a first!

Wife's cousin bought a Jag convertible (might be an XK) about 5 years ago.  Went back to the dealership 4 times in the first year.  Haven't talked to him in years so I don't know what else has happened.

The poor kid obviously wanted the Jaguar Sportboat, not the car. He made a profound point that the Beemer doesn't float like his boat.

image.thumb.png.0dbdc65c938099f92d96bbe0e16a7ab2.png

God that's terrible. Obviously styled by a car guy. What's with the intakes?

1 hour ago, slap said:

Wife's cousin bought a Jag convertible (might be an XK) about 5 years ago.  Went back to the dealership 4 times in the first year.  Haven't talked to him in years so I don't know what else has happened.

Interesting. We have had two XK8's. First one a 2008 we bought as a lease turn in in 2009. Had it till the current one we bought in 2011. We put a fuel pump in the first one and that is all. Nothing wrong with the current one. We had pretty low mileage on both as they were/are not the daily drivers but the fun vacation/road trip/out to dinner car. Only have 32,000 on the current one and its a 2011. Perhaps its the low use/mileage that has been in our favor.

The current one........

IMG_0378.jpg

Image result for gif spoiled child

poor you rasper!:D  for what its worth, about 1970 when i got my first bike (a 67 yamaka 100 twin) i was lusting after the trail 70!

3 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Over in the Corvette 2020 thread I made a joke that the Brits drank warm beer because refrigeration was by Lucas.  The usually sensible (by my standards) SloopJonB took exception to that statement and told me to get my head out of the 70s. I’ll let other folks drive Jags to see if their reliability has improved.

I dunno.. I bought a 97 XK8 with 62k on it a 3  years ago. had already had the timing chain tensioner updated by a previous owner. So far the only

issue has been a water pump. but time will tell LOL

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Piling on to add that the late model used Jags depreciate so quickly that they make a VERY attractive used-car option.

Exactly right. Over the past 8 years I've had 2 XJR's and a Range Rover HSE. All had under 100K Clicks when I bought them and they all cost less than the original owners paid just for sales taxes.

In fact, the total for all 3 would only buy something like a new Camry.

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Piling on to add that the late model used Jags depreciate so quickly that they make a VERY attractive used-car option.

Exactly right. Over the past 8 years I've had 2 XJR's and a Range Rover HSE. All had under 100K Clicks when I bought them and they all cost less than the original owners paid just for sales taxes.

In fact, the total for all 3 would only buy something like a new Camry.

That is absolutely true. We buy most of our cars "lightly used". We bought the second Jag new but Mrs PB really wanted it as her retirement celebration, so knowing resale would drop like a stone we bought it anyway. I mean how many times do you retire...........a splurge on just what you want after a lifetime of work isn't too much to ask. At least it wasn't to me.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

That is absolutely true. We buy most of our cars "lightly used". We bought the second Jag new but Mrs PB really wanted it as her retirement celebration, so knowing resale would drop like a stone we bought it anyway. I mean how many times do you retire...........a splurge on just what you want after a lifetime of work isn't too much to ask. At least it wasn't to me.

:D You still got the btl of scotch PB??  ;)

Very happy with my F-Type - but I hate my dealership. They just tried to stick me for $1150 for an annual service (nothing wrong with the car - oil change and some filters only). I told them to forget it and I picked my car up without paying them anything. Idiots. 

Then they tried to fuck me on the Eco-mode. The eco mode stopped working and the code said something cryptic about the battery. It turns out that there's a second sealed lead-acid battery in the back of the car to help the stop-start. That battery was fried and needed replacement. Idiot dealership quoted me $800. The battery (from them) is $191. I refuse to pay for either. In the UK the battery is GBP 46.00 - so I'll pick one up next time I fly through the UK. It makes no frigging sense at all to have a mode designed to save a few ounces of fuel in city traffic, that costs $800 every 25K miles for a battery. The guy on the phone seemed surprised when I actually roared with laughter at his quote. He is probably used to surprise, perhaps some begging or crying at his pricing. I guess he was not expecting scorn and derision.

Anyway, other than the usurious bunch of hostage-taking fucktards in the dealership service department, I love the car and it's been very little trouble from a maintenance POV, which is good luck because I would not be able to tolerate talking to them frequently if the car was a lemon.

I have a 2002 XK8 Coupe with over 230,000 miles on her.  Looks and drives great.  Fuel pump replaced and the usual fluids.  Will be rebuilding the engine/tranny next year and will keep her in the family.    I had 2 TR-6s daily  drivers (in the NE) and a TR-7 convertible (bought new in 1980) which I took across the country and back.  Perfect?   No but a few little things here and there were worth the driving experience.

This anti-British car thing is old news, and from my observations, the over-engineered German marques are the trouble.  That and no soul.  No thanks.  Like kissing your cousin.

20 minutes ago, sail69 said:

I have a 2002 XK8 Coupe with over 230,000 miles on her.  Looks and drives great.  Fuel pump replaced and the usual fluids.  Will be rebuilding the engine/tranny next year and will keep her in the family.    I had 2 TR-6s daily  drivers (in the NE) and a TR-7 convertible (bought new in 1980) which I took across the country and back.  Perfect?   No but a few little things here and there were worth the driving experience.

This anti-British car thing is old news, and from my observations, the over-engineered German marques are the trouble.  That and no soul.  No thanks.  Like kissing your cousin.

from Hayes Carles' Grateful for Christmas:

I wish I had a drink or maybe a dozen
Lord, what I'd give for one good lookin' cousin

8 hours ago, Windward said:

I think they are a Tata under the Jag brand.

5 hours ago, lasal said:

The poor kid obviously wanted the Jaguar Sportboat, not the car. He made a profound point that the Beemer doesn't float like his boat.

image.thumb.png.0dbdc65c938099f92d96bbe0e16a7ab2.png

God that's terrible. Obviously styled by a car guy. What's with the intakes?

Fucking ugly!  Those are water scoops, made to drown the engine.

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

:D You still got the btl of scotch PB??  ;)

Its almost gone.....looks like just two (or 1 healthy) evening left. It was awesome.........

49 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Very happy with my F-Type - but I hate my dealership. They just tried to stick me for $1150 for an annual service (nothing wrong with the car - oil change and some filters only). I told them to forget it and I picked my car up without paying them anything. Idiots. 

Then they tried to fuck me on the Eco-mode. The eco mode stopped working and the code said something cryptic about the battery. It turns out that there's a second sealed lead-acid battery in the back of the car to help the stop-start. That battery was fried and needed replacement. Idiot dealership quoted me $800. The battery (from them) is $191. I refuse to pay for either. In the UK the battery is GBP 46.00 - so I'll pick one up next time I fly through the UK. It makes no frigging sense at all to have a mode designed to save a few ounces of fuel in city traffic, that costs $800 every 25K miles for a battery. The guy on the phone seemed surprised when I actually roared with laughter at his quote. He is probably used to surprise, perhaps some begging or crying at his pricing. I guess he was not expecting scorn and derision.

Anyway, other than the usurious bunch of hostage-taking fucktards in the dealership service department, I love the car and it's been very little trouble from a maintenance POV, which is good luck because I would not be able to tolerate talking to them frequently if the car was a lemon.

Why would anyone go to a dealership if the car was not on warranty?

They are all the same that way - some are a lot worse. An oil change on my friends Boxster is around $800 - supposedly because it's a dry sump.

My Jag guy does lots of exotics - RR, Astons, Lambos etc.

He has had an Aston in for 1 1/2 years for an engine rebuild - the owner ran it dry of oil. AML has been fucking Greg around on a criminal, anti-trust level - refusing to provide part numbers, lying about parts unavailability etc. etc. That is not just the dealer - calls direct to AML get the same sort of responses.

All designed to force the owner to use the dealership. Of course they would charge $40 or $50 grand to do the engine.

One son is a mechanic, BMW for many years, now Audi. He prefers BMWs, a lot of VW parts in Audis. He said that BMW had reliability problems after they switched to turbo 4 engines a number of years ago. They are now much more reliable. He also says that owning one outside warranty is nuts - the repair costs are through the roof. Nothing easy to do on those cars.

Pretty sure he got the car from his wifes parents, 22 & married, as a part of the dowry. He demanded a Jaguar got a cheaper BMW, an insult to his worth so he threw it away just as he will his wife if he doesn't get a Jaguar pronto.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Why would anyone go to a dealership if the car was not on warranty?

They are all the same that way - some are a lot worse. An oil change on my friends Boxster is around $800 - supposedly because it's a dry sump.

My Jag guy does lots of exotics - RR, Astons, Lambos etc.

He has had an Aston in for 1 1/2 years for an engine rebuild - the owner ran it dry of oil. AML has been fucking Greg around on a criminal, anti-trust level - refusing to provide part numbers, lying about parts unavailability etc. etc. That is not just the dealer - calls direct to AML get the same sort of responses.

All designed to force the owner to use the dealership. Of course they would charge $40 or $50 grand to do the engine.

Boxster oil change an 8 spot.  But those are loonies and toonies.

oil “service” on my 911 is $400.  Never paid more than $300 when I had my Boxster.

why go to the dealer? Some of us do not have the luxury of living in a major metro area like Vancouver.  I am not letting some independent mechanic touch my $100k 911

1 hour ago, VhmSays said:

Pretty sure he got the car from his wifes parents, 22 & married, as a part of the dowry. He demanded a Jaguar got a cheaper BMW, an insult to his worth so he threw it away just as he will his wife if he doesn't get a Jaguar pronto.

The wife would be murdered, not thrown away.

8 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Boxster oil change an 8 spot.  But those are loonies and toonies.

oil “service” on my 911 is $400.  Never paid more than $300 when I had my Boxster.

why go to the dealer? Some of us do not have the luxury of living in a major metro area like Vancouver.  I am not letting some independent mechanic touch my $100k 911

If you have a Porsche dealer in your area you're almost certain to have people with the skills to work on them. People work for the dealer until they get their skills up then go independent.

When I'm looking for a new guy I take a look at their shop and the cars they have in - that usually tells the story.

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If you have a Porsche dealer in your area you're almost certain to have people with the skills to work on them. People work for the dealer until they get their skills up then go independent.

When I'm looking for a new guy I take a look at their shop and the cars they have in - that usually tells the story.

Closet independent I would trust is 40 miles away.  He kept my ‘84 Audi Quattro (UrQ) running when the Audi shop couldn’t.  He tries to confine his work to Audis but will, for longtime clients, work on the occasional Porsche.  The rally coupe was an amalgam of unique parts as well as things out of the bin.

Dealer is about 30 miles away and I get a free loaner and really good coffee and donuts, no doubt built into that $400 oil change.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Buying software is a huge expense with modern German fancy cars. Every model has its own software package and it costs something like CA$300. Not like the old days when Fritz or Hans could fix them just using general knowledge. Now the car goes into the shop and is plugged into the computer. It can take a couple of hours of interfacing for really complex models at $130 an hour - while the mechanic is working on a different car.

4 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

One son is a mechanic, BMW for many years, now Audi. He prefers BMWs, a lot of VW parts in Audis. He said that BMW had reliability problems after they switched to turbo 4 engines a number of years ago. They are now much more reliable. He also says that owning one outside warranty is nuts - the repair costs are through the roof. Nothing easy to do on those cars.

So reliable that he had to push it into the river:lol:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Wanker 

No. leave the car in bits, not working, His kind folks gave him a car, he drowned so now he owns a drowned car.

Make him pay for the clean-up / environmental damage.

I don't give a fuck how rich you are, nothing gives you the excuse to deliberately polite.

1 hour ago, See Level said:

So reliable that he had to push it into the river:lol:

Ooo...  Well played sir.   Golf clap.

12 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

I don't give a fuck how rich you are, nothing gives you the excuse to deliberately polite.

O/K, then fuck you.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, Point Break said:

Interesting. We have had two XK8's. First one a 2008 we bought as a lease turn in in 2009. Had it till the current one we bought in 2011. We put a fuel pump in the first one and that is all. Nothing wrong with the current one. We had pretty low mileage on both as they were/are not the daily drivers but the fun vacation/road trip/out to dinner car. Only have 32,000 on the current one and its a 2011. Perhaps its the low use/mileage that has been in our favor.

The current one........

IMG_0378.jpg

The colour of your car does not match your cookware!

1 hour ago, QBF said:

The colour of your car does not match your cookware!

You never want to be too “matchy matchy”. Shows a lack of aesthetic imagination. B)

A friend caught a BMW car on his back stay...  (I was also going through, alongside at the Time)

He had his mast down and was paddling under the bridge..

When the BMW was recovered by the authorities it was found to have been stolen 5 or 6 years before and pushed into the river.

So it must have been sitting down there, being occasionally hit by the odd keel. But something had moved it up under the bridge where the water is shallower because of the remains of the old Ford (the river crossing  not the make of car..)

Jags and Volvo are owned by ford now. Lots of ford bits in them, wiring in a xf matches a mondeo as an example. 

Ford sold them years ago - after cleaning up their act.

Tata owns Jag & Rover now.

Fucking Colonials.

Volvo is owned by some faceless holding company.