Sign in to follow this  
ajbram

Has anyone imported a boat from Europe to Canada?

Moving back to Canada (:D) and thinking of buying a sportboat maybe next year and importing it to Canada. There are some good options in Europe right now and I am wondering if anyone has done this and what costs/pitfalls did you run into. Was it worth it?

We bring in containers of boats from the UK and ship them to British Columbia.  

Need a lot of paperwork and a good broker, but, we ship piles of boats into Canada like this each year.
What is your main question.  Logistics?  Paperwork?  Costs?  

5 minutes ago, WestCoast said:

What is your main question.  Logistics?  Paperwork?  Costs?  

All of the above. If this happens it will likely be next summer or so. Thinking of something in the 20-25ft. range. I'll be in Ontario, so Montreal is probably a more appropriate port of entry.

For one thing, my understanding is that with CETA there is no duty on boats brought in directly from European countries participating in the agreement (I"m not certain if that includes all European countries or just those in the EU). 

However, it has to be brought directly.  If you import say a French built boat from the USA, into Canada you will be subject to 9.5% duty.

On top of all that, in Quebec and BC there will be 5% GST + PST  (9.975% in Quebec and 7% in BC).  All other provinces have HST in lieu of GST + PST.  the HST is typically around 15%.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:27 AM, 12 metre said:

If you import say a French built boat from the USA, into Canada you will be subject to 9.5% duty.

So with say a J92S, all of which were built in Europe, would a 9.5% duty be applied on one of these boats imported from the US to Canada?    That's going to be U$5k area.   That might offset a lot of what it would cost to ship one from Europe, where prices are lower to start with.   What's it cost to ship one from Europe?  

Ok thanks 12m, that's clear.   I'd remark the article is a bit a dated otherwise as the 10% retaliatory tariff on the import of US built boats was lifted in May of this year.   

Bottom line, for anyone importing a used J-Boat from the US, better figure out first if it was a J-Composites or a RI build.   Sucks, as a J92S is a contender for The Next One.  

One thing I can strongly recommend is that you do not consult with the government departments involved (CBSA etc.)

They are ignorant of their own rules and you will get financially screwed if you follow their advice.

Instead, use a customs broker - they don't charge much for straightforward jobs and will save you a world of hurt.

I speak from experience importing a 43' from the USA 15 years ago.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:27 AM, 12 metre said:

For one thing, my understanding is that with CETA there is no duty on boats brought in directly from European countries participating in the agreement (I"m not certain if that includes all European countries or just those in the EU). 

However, it has to be brought directly.  If you import say a French built boat from the USA, into Canada you will be subject to 9.5% duty.

On top of all that, in Quebec and BC there will be 5% GST + PST  (9.975% in Quebec and 7% in BC).  All other provinces have HST in lieu of GST + PST.  the HST is typically around 15%.

I was looking at a German-built boat registered in the US as a possible purchase.  The broker said it would be 9.5% duty on the purchase price, then 12% PST on private (non-dealer) sales on the extended value including the 9.5%.  By my math that adds 23% to the cost of the boat (1.095 x 1.12 = 1.226).  Wow.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/pst-108-boats.pdf

On 8/14/2019 at 10:27 AM, 12 metre said:

To correct that, Alberta alone has only the 5% GST, no PST or HST.   The last, standing, Alberta Advantage.. as all else in this economy slides into the proverbial shitter.    So anyways,  I better bring in a boat and save 7% BC PST before I retire to the Left Coast.