Sign in to follow this  
Fakenews

Are you rooting for a recession in order to ensure Trump’s ouster

Are you rooting for a recession to ensure Trump’s ouster  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is a recession needed for the greater good?

• Yes. It may be painful for some in the short run but the benefit of tRump is totally worth it..
    • No. I want Trump gone but not at the cost of a recession.

The way I look at it a recession is inevitable.  Let’s kick it off early if it contributes to Trump’s departure.

• Like 1

First of all it's O's fault, :D

Let see the great deal maker, and self made business man , doing what he does best.

Borrow money, build useless companies ,  then file for bankruptcy , this time it's not of his companies , and daddy can't bail him out ,

so we have tooo!

I don't wish for a recession but it is inevitable. And the way trump has handled tax cuts and his nudging of interest rates leaves the Treasury and Congress very little room to do anything about it. He gave a tax cut (mostly to the rich) and has ballooned the debt and deficit during a time of expansion. This will make the coming recession especially hard to deal with.  Don the Con could bankrupt his way out of this kind of whatdafuckery but did Trumpistas think this was a good way to run the nation? But hey, stocks are soaring, right?  Oh, wait..  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

The way I look at it a recession is inevitable.  Let’s kick it off early if it contributes to Trump’s departure.

^^^^^^^^^^

:D

I want the inevitable recession to be such a blot on the Republican party that they won't hold a public office again for at least 50 years, so yes, I want it to come and I want it to be bad, but I want it to be very clearly the result of Trumpublicam mismanagement. That means an intersection of bad fiscal policy, breaking/ negating long established trade agreements, alienating/ abandoning or betraying  old allies, military posturing, ethical and/or moral conduct violations, failure of diplomacy and lack of foresight and preparation, environmental/ climate related catastrophes and lack or reduction of regulatory oversight.

Harsh? Hell yes! But people will get through it. Remember Bush II's market crash and the chaos and loss and pain that brought with it, followed by 6 years of slow but steady and dependable recovery? The morons forgot that pain and still elected Trump. This time I want it to hurt so they remember the pain for a long, long time.

Toward which in the last 6 months I've shifted my portfolio asset allocation from about 70% equities/ 30% fixed income to about 88% fixed income/ 12% equities. We're tightening our belts a little but I think we're pretty well positioned for the slide when it comes.

No, I would prefer that the economy and the country do well.  I suspect that my preference is moot. The same thing happens whenever someone gets into office whose policies ensure that the Best Americans and ONLY the Best Americans reap the economic rewards.  Eventually, the middle class gets starved enough that they don't have money to keep the engine running, and the Best Americans sure as shit aren't spending theirs...at least not in the US. 

Whether that happens in four years or eight...it's just a matter of time. 

• Like 1

No matter how bad the recession the Republicans will say and do the same stupid shit and revel in inflicting misery upon the victims of Trumps economic mismanagement. So, no, I'd not like a recession - because it won't change their views a damn - it'll just make peoples lives worse. I don't see a single thing changing the views of Republicans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

No matter how bad the recession the Republicans will say and do the same stupid shit and revel in inflicting misery upon the victims of Trumps economic mismanagement. So, no, I'd not like a recession - because it won't change their views a damn - it'll just make peoples lives worse. I don't see a single thing changing the views of Republicans.

If they don’t hold the senate and the presidency their views don’t matter so much.

1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

If they don’t hold the senate and the presidency their views don’t matter so much.

Obama and the short lived Democrat Congressional Majority of 2008-10 directed the past 9 years of Republican shitbaggery. You think that'll change?

I do not want the recession to happen.  Please make all I know about such things wrong.  Unfortunately the end point of the policies implemented in the last couple of years is recession.  We were first amazed at the concept of stagflation.  Now the concept of negative interest.  The results of globalization where large percentages of US dollars are held in non US hands and then the concentration of capital in few hands have acted as a buffer to the results of US economic policy. This has provided a rationale for such things as MMT. I guess it is what happens when a large amount of capital has run out of places to put it.  The capital outruns the consumer. It still must come to an end and it seems Not far away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

I want the inevitable recession to be such a blot on the Republican party that they won't hold a public office again for at least 50 years, so yes, I want it to come and I want it to be bad, but I want it to be very clearly the result of Trumpublicam mismanagement.........

I could almost agree except that 1- I want my country to do well, and 2- the Trumpettes will never never never wake up from their fantasy. They're immune to reality.

Look at the Old South, poor white men fought incredibly hard, and gave their blood and treasure and very lives for the sake of their rich overlords keeping them poor competing against slave labor. This is the mindset you're dealing with...... I don't know if they are born to be peasants/peons/cannon fodder but they will always believe in whatever self-anointed authority comes along, and that includes the trend of "voting against their own self-interest" as it's sometimes said.

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

No, I would prefer that the economy and the country do well.  I suspect that my preference is moot. The same thing happens whenever someone gets into office whose policies ensure that the Best Americans and ONLY the Best Americans reap the economic rewards.  Eventually, the middle class gets starved enough that they don't have money to keep the engine running, and the Best Americans sure as shit aren't spending theirs...at least not in the US. 

Whether that happens in four years or eight...it's just a matter of time. 

It's amazing the progress that the dismal near-science of economics has made. We -could- have a fairly stable economy and the US system is designed for politicians to keep their friggin' hands off. But we still have a boom/bust cycle in markets including capital. There is just no demand for it at all right now. When other markets cycle down, if managed intelligently, this store of wealth COULD enable a very smooth transition, but something tells me it won't.

- DSK

• Like 2

The question seems strange and my preference is indifference. America should dump that piece of shit, full stop. As for the recession itself, I expect to do quite well regardless.

A recession is going to happen, just like it has again and again.  Prediction indicators suggest it hitting us in 10-18 months.  We've been in a longer than usual stretch of growth so maybe it will happen sooner.  Trump's instability and inability to understand the effects of his knee jerk reactions make him a prime target for blame.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

A recession is going to happen, just like it has again and again.  Prediction indicators suggest it hitting us in 10-18 months.  We've been in a longer than usual stretch of growth so maybe it will happen sooner.  Trump's instability and inability to understand the effects of his knee jerk reactions make him a prime target for blame by the rational thinkers among us.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

FIFY

Aggregate demand is already dropping. Ya think it's going to take 10~18 more months? I dunno, it might.... I enjoyed studying economics but am not able to forecast, nor believe forecasters (much).

- DSK

Nice Poll.

Is there anyway you lot can arrange a massive local recession and avoid collateral damage?:angry:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fakenews said:

This.  I'm supposed to be of the 1% class that benefited from the tax cut.  Thanks.  Big fuckin' whoop.  I'd rather have a clean environment, clean air and not sell off our heritage to the "rape and scrape" resource grabbers than have have a one time tax refund.  And a great bonus would be NOT having to pretend I'm not an american when traveling.  

Yes, I will lose money but essentially from the start of tRump's 2nd year, the stock market is flat.  T-bills are depressed.  Wages are essentially stagnant. 

Get the asshole out of the oval office. He is a fat bag of wrinkled skin wrapped around a hole where a human soul should be. 

Then break out the clorox and and strip the place to the studs to get rid of the stink..  

OK, if you ask politely, I'll tell you what I really think.

• Like 2

Trump may not going to be around to take the blame if it hits after 2020 and anyway the Rs will blame Obama, Hillary, the deep state anyone but R policy.

Its religion not logic with them.

• Like 1

It's already overdue so.......

The greatest depression in history wouldn't change the minds of the defectives who still support him though.

Dow was down 800.  If we keep up with all this winning I’m going to have to unretire

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Nice Poll.

Is there anyway you lot can arrange a massive local recession and avoid collateral damage?:angry:

Frankly I'm disappointed so many people would like to see the country hurt for the sake of a political score.

You folks who said this, and consider yourselves liberal..... what exactly is it that makes you the "good guys"? Apparently not any devotion to the country or the greater good.

- DSK

• Like 1

now it's personal.

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Frankly I'm disappointed so many people would like to see the country hurt for the sake of a political score.

You folks who said this, and consider yourselves liberal..... what exactly is it that makes you the "good guys"? Apparently not any devotion to the country or the greater good.

- DSK

Fuck your country. There's millions of old people in "not America" that have their small incomes coming from shares.

Ultimately you are all responsible for the "trump" phenomena.

The Australian share market looks set to sink notably lower on Thursday after global stock markets were sold off overnight. Investors hit the sell button after bond yields pointed to an impending recession in the United States. According to the latest SPI futures, the ASX 200 index is expected to open the day 135 points or 2.1% lower this morning. On Wall Street the Dow Jones sank 3%, the S&P 500 index dropped 2.9%, and the Nasdaq tumbled 3%.

Telstra full year result.

Telstra Corporation Ltd (ASX: TLS) is scheduled to release its highly anticipated full year results this morning. According to Goldman Sachs, it has forecast a 3% decline in income to $27.8 billion, which is at the high end of its $26.2 billion to $28.1 billion guidance range. The telco giant is widely expected to cut its final dividend to 8 cents per share.

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

The greater good in this case must be carefully defined. 

With the despicable treatment of immigrants and asylum seekers, the loss of american credibility world wide, the damage being done to our environment, the damage being done to our farmers, the ignorant denial of the climate emergency, the unfettered loyalty to the NRA and white nationalism I decided that yes, a recession to help convince the potential fence-sitters that the *resident and his cronies must go is worth the economic pain and short-term economic hardship.

I do not want to wake up in a few years as our national forests and resources are sold off cheap, brown children are still in cages, white boys still march shouting "blood and soil" and a liar and thief sits behind the Resolute Desk and say "Well, at least we didn't have a recession."

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Those that will be hurt beyond hope are those that never recovered from 2008. Prolly no one here ..so that's oK

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

The greater good is removing Trump from office.  That’s blindingly obvious.  We WILL have a recession in 24 months or less.  I want it to arrive early to hasten Trump’s departure.  I’m not declaring liberals or myself the good guys I’m declaring Trump and his cronies bad guys.

50 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

Trump may not going to be around to take the blame if it hits after 2020 and anyway the Rs will blame Obama, Hillary, the deep state anyone but R policy.

Its religion not logic with them.

Yeah, it will probably happen right when a new democrat executive takes office, and takes the blame.  If Trump wins, he will find someone to blame.  He is already blaming the fed on the market downturn.

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Yeah, I hear you. However, if I knew with certainty that continued strength in the markets would guarantee Trump another term.....  fuck it, bring on some pain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

The greater good is removing Trump from office.  That’s blindingly obvious.  We WILL have a recession in 24 months or less.  I want it to arrive early to hasten Trump’s departure.  I’m not declaring liberals or myself the good guys I’m declaring Trump and his cronies bad guys.

Nice for you. I'm assuming you'll be opening your home to all the "newly destitute" as long as their hats arn't red?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/recession-yield-curve-poverty-tax-cuts-trump-871198/

Some 40 percent of American families struggled to cover the cost of food, health care, housing or utilities last year, according to a report from the Urban Institute. A Fed found four in 10 adultscouldn’t cover a $400 emergency expense. Even at the current low unemployment rate, about 6 million workers are actively looking for jobs right now — and that doesn’t include part-time workers looking for more hours or those who want work but have stopped looking. Men in the prime of their lives are employed at lower rates than they were before the last recession. Suicide rates are spiking, driving down U.S. life expectancy.

A Gallup poll released in January found 48 percent of Americans felt economic conditions were worsening — a trend that had steadily progressed in preceding months — despite the fundamentals remaining strong. At issue was the fact that the benefits of a strong economy were not being broadly shared by all Americans. 

Fed Chairman Jerome H. Powell called the dynamic out in two speeches he delivered at the end of last year. “The benefits of this strong economy and sound financial system have not reached all Americans,” he explained. “The aggregate statistics tend to mask important disparities by income, race and geography.”

A recession could take many of those families struggling on the margins and push them squarely into poverty. A family that can’t cover a $400 expense definitely isn’t ready to weather an unexpected layoff. And workers already struggling to find jobs will fare worse if and when the number of openings plummet and the number of unemployed job seekers climbs. 

The fact that there are so many Americans still struggling highlights the opportunity President Trump and Republicans missed when they slashed taxes for corporations, businesses and the wealthy, rather than, say, shoring up social safety net accounts, investing in economic development in marginalized communities, funding worker training programs to help them transition to more stable jobs — or even just paying off some of the nation’s debt.

Instead, of course, Republicans promised the working-class and poor would get their share as benefits trickled down in the form of a tax cut-fueled economic explosion. Whether that was a lie or a delusion doesn’t matter now. The economy is showing signs of turning, and the people who saw the least benefit from the latest boom are now the most vulnerable ahead of the next bust.

6 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Nice for you. I'm assuming you'll be opening your home to all the "newly destitute" as long as their hats arn't red?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/recession-yield-curve-poverty-tax-cuts-trump-871198/

Some 40 percent of American families struggled to cover the cost of food, health care, housing or utilities last year, according to a report from the Urban Institute. A Fed found four in 10 adultscouldn’t cover a $400 emergency expense. Even at the current low unemployment rate, about 6 million workers are actively looking for jobs right now — and that doesn’t include part-time workers looking for more hours or those who want work but have stopped looking. Men in the prime of their lives are employed at lower rates than they were before the last recession. Suicide rates are spiking, driving down U.S. life expectancy.

A Gallup poll released in January found 48 percent of Americans felt economic conditions were worsening — a trend that had steadily progressed in preceding months — despite the fundamentals remaining strong. At issue was the fact that the benefits of a strong economy were not being broadly shared by all Americans. 

Fed Chairman Jerome H. Powell called the dynamic out in two speeches he delivered at the end of last year. “The benefits of this strong economy and sound financial system have not reached all Americans,” he explained. “The aggregate statistics tend to mask important disparities by income, race and geography.”

A recession could take many of those families struggling on the margins and push them squarely into poverty. A family that can’t cover a $400 expense definitely isn’t ready to weather an unexpected layoff. And workers already struggling to find jobs will fare worse if and when the number of openings plummet and the number of unemployed job seekers climbs. 

The fact that there are so many Americans still struggling highlights the opportunity President Trump and Republicans missed when they slashed taxes for corporations, businesses and the wealthy, rather than, say, shoring up social safety net accounts, investing in economic development in marginalized communities, funding worker training programs to help them transition to more stable jobs — or even just paying off some of the nation’s debt.

Instead, of course, Republicans promised the working-class and poor would get their share as benefits trickled down in the form of a tax cut-fueled economic explosion. Whether that was a lie or a delusion doesn’t matter now. The economy is showing signs of turning, and the people who saw the least benefit from the latest boom are now the most vulnerable ahead of the next bust.

What part of “we will have a recession in the next 24 months” do you not understand?  Better

a) get rid of the crook in chief

b) elect people who are able to mitigate it not exacerbate it

Yes. It may be painful for some in the short run but the benefit of tRump is totally worth it..

You should be shot with a ball of your own shit.

"painful" like losing your home painful? having to leave your kids to seek work "painful"

"for some" you mean like those blue collar workers scraping by on Walmart wages?

You "big picture" socialists make me sick. How much "pain" are you going to suffer personally?

I'm cool, I own my house and have a secure job and can support my grown kids if needed. BUT I'd never wish a recession on any country no matter how much I hated the "president" 

BECAUSE, ULTIMATELY IT"S THE POOR THAT PAY WITH THEIR LIVELIHOODS  AND THE LIVELIHOODS OF THEIR KIDS. tHE MIDDLE CLASS USUALLY RECOVER EVENTUALLY...THE POOR DON'T.!!

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Those that will be hurt beyond hope are those that never recovered from 2008. Prolly no one here ..so that's oK

The 2008 recession hurt us personally; but not as badly as many of our retired friends. This last two years of zero interest + zero growth has hurt us too. The coming recession is another blow..... I expect to come out OK but the economic climate to follow will determine whether I go back to work (I consider myself fortunate to be healthy and sane) or buy another boat.

The 2008 recession made McCain/Palin and the Republican Congress a lost cause. But look at how many USAneans turned right around and jumped on the "we hate Obama, he's a Kenyan etc etc" bandwagon.

It's true, the 30~40% of voters who love Trump will not ever be swayed by any occurrence in reality. Even though Fox News has turned rather lukewarm in their boosting of him (seriously, what's up with that?)

15 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

The greater good in this case must be carefully defined. 

With the despicable treatment of immigrants and asylum seekers, the loss of american credibility world wide, the damage being done to our environment, the damage being done to our farmers, the ignorant denial of the climate emergency, the unfettered loyalty to the NRA and white nationalism I decided that yes, a recession to help convince the potential fence-sitters that the *resident and his cronies must go is worth the economic pain and short-term economic hardship.

I do not want to wake up in a few years as our national forests and resources are sold off cheap, brown children are still in cages, white boys still march shouting "blood and soil" and a liar and thief sits behind the Resolute Desk and say "Well, at least we didn't have a recession."

On the one hand, I can see the logic of "we are going to have a recession anyway and the country is FAR better off without Trump" however you're still wishing harm on the majority of your countrymen. How about wishing for a soft landing and Trump to lose anyway?

- DSK

2 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

What part of “we will have a recession in the next 24 months” do you not understand?  Better

a) get rid of the crook in chief

b) elect people who are able to mitigate it not exacerbate it

So you will be offering shelter to families evicted ?? Yes or No?

11 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

That "opportunity" never even crossed their minds.  Not even for a second.  That's not who they are, not who they serve, not what they believe in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Yeah, it will probably happen right when a new democrat executive takes office, and takes the blame.  If Trump wins, he will find someone to blame.  He is already blaming the fed on the market downturn.

That’s normal though. Hell, Obama got the blame for the 2007-8 crash, which happened before he was in office!

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Yes. It may be painful for some in the short run but the benefit of tRump is totally worth it..

"painful" like losing your home painful? having to leave your kids to seek work "painful"

"for some" you mean like those blue collar workers scraping by on Walmart wages?

You "big picture" socialists make me sick. How much "pain" are you going to suffer personally?

I'm cool, I own my house and have a secure job and can support my grown kids if needed. BUT I'd never wish a recession on any country no matter how much I hated the "president" 

BECAUSE, ULTIMATELY IT"S THE POOR THAT PAY WITH THEIR LIVELIHOODS  AND THE LIVELIHOODS OF THEIR KIDS. tHE MIDDLE CLASS USUALLY RECOVER EVENTUALLY...THE POOR DON'T.!!

You seem to be really struggling with the concept of the inevitability of a recession in the near term.

Odd....

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The 2008 recession hurt us personally; but not as badly as many of our retired friends. This last two years of zero interest + zero growth has hurt us too. The coming recession is another blow..... I expect to come out OK but the economic climate to follow will determine whether I go back to work (I consider myself fortunate to be healthy and sane) or buy another boat.

The 2008 recession made McCain/Palin and the Republican Congress a lost cause. But look at how many USAneans turned right around and jumped on the "we hate Obama, he's a Kenyan etc etc" bandwagon.

It's true, the 30~40% of voters who love Trump will not ever be swayed by any occurrence in reality. Even though Fox News has turned rather lukewarm in their boosting of him (seriously, what's up with that?)

On the one hand, I can see the logic of "we are going to have a recession anyway and the country is FAR better off without Trump" however you're still wishing harm on the majority of your countrymen. How about wishing for a soft landing and Trump to lose anyway?

- DSK

That would be a fabulous outcome.  I hope that's what happens.  But, in my opinion, the situation is so desperate, that hopes and wishes do not come in to play.  

In the meantime, yes, I will be actively working to oust the empty bag of wrinkled skin.

So you will be offering shelter to families evicted ?? Yes or No?

No.

Recessions happen.  We are way overdue

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

You seem to be really struggling with the concept of the inevitability of a recession in the near term.

Odd....

No, I'm struggling with the concept that a supposed "lefty" could actively wish this on the innocent.

and of course will do nothing to alleviate the pain when you doubtless can afford to do so.

We need people like you in the great struggle about as much as we need a guillotine.

Fucking armchair socialists:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

....     ...

In the meantime, yes, I will be actively working to oust the empty bag of wrinkled skin.

I am working with a local project for voter transportation, a relay of buses in all districts. I figure if we can get voter turnout high enough, the result should be worth the effort.

4 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

....    ...    ...  But, in my opinion, the situation is so desperate, that hopes and wishes do not come in to play.  

...    ...    ...

IMHO we are headed toward a civil war. I hope and wish that it doesn't happen, or that it is very short and minimally destructive.

It may well be that the end of our Republic is at hand. I'm rather fond of it, but I think the Founding Fathers would be proud it lasted so long and did as well as it has (I also think they'd be really pissed off at some items in our history). Certainly we have a heck of a lot of people who would rather take a profit from tearing it apart, plus a lot of pinheads chanting "burn it down," and the corporate hand pushing normal citizens heads into the muck. If that's how we go, may it serve as a useful warning to the other countries with democratic principles.

-DSK

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

The catch here is there is a recession on the horizon and if it comes late there is a chance that those whose idea of economics is "trade wars are easy to win" & "trickle down" will somehow still retain power. If it hits hard early... well someone more competent may be there to steer the ship.

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

No, I'm struggling with the concept that a supposed "lefty" could actively wish this on the innocent.

and of course will do nothing to alleviate the pain when you doubtless can afford to do so.

We need people like you in the great struggle about as much as we need a guillotine.

You seem very distraught.   A RECESSION IS GOING TO HAPPEN SOON.  No amount of wishing it won’t happen will stop it.  The only variable is it’s timing and severity.

I’m not a socialist.

Just now, Fakenews said:

You seem very distraught.   A RECESSION IS GOING TO HAPPEN SOON.  No amount of wishing it won’t happen will stop it.  The only variable is it’s timing and severity.

I’m not a socialist.

as EvaDent.

7 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

If you want to get on a high horse, I suggest you should visit Calgary or some other Mid-Canada.  They've got some good tall ones to perch on up there and you can avoid the gunfights that break out way too often in Wyoming.  

I used to be a socialist, but I sold my armchair and now I cheer on AOC and her squad.  Who aren't socialists either.

36 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

My business shrunk by 80% in 2008.  It has recovered to half of what it was.  But that's OK.

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

If you want to get on a high horse, I suggest you should visit Calgary or some other Mid-Canada.  They've got some good tall ones to perch on up there and you can avoid the gunfights that break out way too often in Wyoming.  

Ah you see that's the problem, call you armchair socialists to account and ask you to put your spare room or couch where your mouths are and you all duck and run.

You're willing for others to take a hit in the war against the 1% but tangible assistance for those that fall in battle you leave to the Quakers.

Same as it ever was.

4 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

My business shrunk by 80% in 2008.  It has recovered to half of what it was.  But that's OK.

:funny:

So, what's it worth now? Are you generating an income above the poverty line? You still got your home? How many employees will have to go in this recession you had to have?

i'm off to work.

Enjoy your armchair revolution.

58 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

:funny:

So, what's it worth now? Are you generating an income above the poverty line? You still got your home? How many employees will have to go in this recession you had to have?

i'm off to work.

Enjoy your armchair revolution.

I expect to close the firm in the next recession.

I netted enough last year to stay just at the poverty line and am living on savings and social security,.  My employees are well paid, however.  Funny how a sole proprietorship works that way.

Home was paid off under the Obama recovery.

All of them, but they are very employable.  You are using the wrong verb and tense, BTW.  I don't "had" to have it.  I don't want it.  But if it is the trip line that causes tRump to fall, I accept it.

I've been working all this time.

I sold the armchair, pay attention.  

Have fun at work.  

(And just as an aside, I have been building affordable housing and assisting non-profit health and social service providers with their capital project planning and development for 40 years.  You know, working the system so it does reach down as well as up.  So, maybe I'll buy that armchair back.)

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Cue the dramatic music! When did you dream this “great struggle” shit up Meli? Was it on the cruise ship last month?

The struggle is real!

62E18D91-B5D7-4967-B7D1-F85398060104.jpeg.47cb830a89c3a4cfe0bae20a4b3b8872.jpeg

3 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Dow was down 800.  If we keep up with all this winning I’m going to have to join the breadlines.

Jobs can become hard to find...FIFY.

2 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Jobs can become hard to find...FIFY.

Thank you.

i can retrain as a bread baker

1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

Thank you.

i can retrain as a bread baker

Nobody eats real bread around here, as far as I can tell.

I asked the local store if they ever got in local bread. They said: "Yeah, all our bread is local. It's right there on the shelf above the cheerios, and cap'n crunch"

Longest bill market in history. Most with more than two brain cells to rub together know that it can't last much longer regardless. DUH

Recessions provide the vital function of weeding out the weak investments. The downside of the necessary business cycle. Better they are early and often. When governments get too heavy handed on prevention, like Japan perhaps, the whole cycle grinds to a halt. No more up or downs.

Unfortunately many workers get caught in the Capitalistic Crossfire so some wise politicians long ago countered  this aspect of Capitalism with some Socialism by creating some safety nets. Now largely undone and if the R’s had their way would disappear entirely.

So I vote for the inevitable recession now, with the added vital benefit of ridding society of the Reich. Hopefully replaced by a centrist Conservative party.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Nobody eats real bread around here, as far as I can tell.

I asked the local store if they ever got in local bread. They said: "Yeah, all our bread is local. It's right there on the shelf above the cheerios, and cap'n crunch"

Guy at the grocery store. Asks if some product is imported.  Clerk says yes.  Where from.  Next door

6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Are you seriously arguing that the poor and middle class are doing well in this economy?  Or are you one of the Trumpistas that think the 99%-ers should just be happy for the scraps the wealthy feed us off their table?

Most people justify all of Trump's shitbaggery with a "strong".  So if the economy tanks, get rid if the POS, right?

12 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Are you seriously arguing that the poor and middle class are doing well in this economy?  Or are you one of the Trumpistas that think the 99%-ers should just be happy for the scraps the wealthy feed us off their table?

Most people justify all of Trump's shitbaggery with a "strong".  So if the economy tanks, get rid if the POS, right?

top line was a quote from the poll

4 hours ago, chum said:

Cue the dramatic music! When did you dream this “great struggle” shit up Meli? Was it on the cruise ship last month?

The struggle is real!

62E18D91-B5D7-4967-B7D1-F85398060104.jpeg.47cb830a89c3a4cfe0bae20a4b3b8872.jpeg

regularly. I'm housing and feeding two homeless kids.

2 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Recessions CAN provide the vital function of weeding out the weak investments. The downside of the necessary business cycle. Better they are early and often. When governments get too heavy handed on prevention, like Japan perhaps, the whole cycle grinds to a halt. No more up or downs.

Edit mine. We've decided pain is only for the poor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

top line was a quote from the poll

And the rest of your comment?  Trump's policies will come to roost.  

13 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

And the rest of your comment?  Trump's policies will come to roost.  

No, I wasn't arguing that  the poor and middle class are doing well in this economy,

The poor and seemingly the much of the "middle class" (your middle class) haven't "done well" in any economy for quite some time now. Trump's simply kicking you all off the cliff.

No, I wasn't arguing that  the poor and middle class are doing well in this economy,

The poor and seemingly the much of the "middle class" (your middle class) haven't "done well" in any economy for quite some time now.

Recession is inevitable.  Might as well hope it is sooner than later and quicker than drawn out.  And the sooner the recession happens the sooner Trump's con is exposed.

5 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Recession is inevitable.  Might as well hope it is sooner than later and quicker than drawn out.  And the sooner the recession happens the sooner Trump's con is exposed.

whatever, hopefully it will simply be a 18 month Trump bump and even out quickly when he's been tarred and feathered and run out of town backwards on a very large Billy goat.

10 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

That's partly my point...... Trump's con is already exposed, I realized he was full of shit about 1/4 of the way thru reading 'Art Of The Deal' back in the 1980s. The people who don't realize he's a shoddy huckster have their eyes shut as hard as they can, and they will never ever recognize the truth no matter how hard it bites them in the ass.

A recession is inevitable, yes. Saying that is different from wishing for one.

- DSK

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FIFY

Aggregate demand is already dropping. Ya think it's going to take 10~18 more months? I dunno, it might.... I enjoyed studying economics but am not able to forecast, nor believe forecasters (much).

- DSK

Those who have followed the yield curve say when the curve is inverted, as it is now, a recession always follows.  History says that happens 10-18 months after the yield curve inverts. 

I can't even say I enjoyed economics in college, except maybe the math part of it.  I'm just repeating what economists say.

Recessions are inevitable, but this one was directed by the king of bankruptcies.

Gosh. Imagine if we could have predicted that it was foolish to let a failed businessman who couldn't make a profit running a casino run the nation's finances.

Imagine!

Way to go Republicans. Now we have to install some Democrats to attempt another financial recovery after your latest mismanagement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

Those who have followed the yield curve say when the curve is inverted, as it is now, a recession always follows.  History says that happens 10-18 months after the yield curve inverts. 

I can't even say I enjoyed economics in college, except maybe the math part of it.  I'm just repeating what economists say.

Well, yeah but it's a very inexact science. There are a few times it never happened. IMHO (and bear in mind that I have never achieved any recognition for my economic theories) it's more an indicator for credit demand / inflation, but we're off in a weird region on the Phillips curve too.

I agree we're due for a recession. We're also due for somewhere between 20~30% of voting citizens to wake the fuck up and stop acting like spoiled, spiteful children.

- DSK

Why root for a recession - are you worried that the DNC nominee won't be able to beat Trump on merit?

1 minute ago, phillysailor said:

Recessions are inevitable, but this one was directed by the king of bankruptcies.

Gosh. Imagine if we could have predicted that it was foolish to let a failed businessman who couldn't make a profit running a casino run the nation's finances.

Imagine!

Way to go Republicans. Now we have to install some Democrats to attempt another financial recovery after your latest mismanagement.

Well TROTW will expect a apology from the new President who ever they may be. Humble Pie with lashings of remorse.

I am not answering because I don't have a good answer.

This is like setting a a small fire to clear out fuel ahead of a forest fire. Is it going to help or is it going to cause the very problem you wish to avoid?

REASONS AGAINST:

1, It is un-American to wish for pain and disaster to strike the country to advance a political agenda.

2. This is what Republicans do. They famously wished for nothing but failure during the Obama administration. They are famous for self over party and party over country. Why be like these treasonous weasels?

3. It could fail hugely. The Reich Wing has drifted so far out of the real world and is so lacking in any kind of moral compass they would easily be convinced it was the fault the Fed, the Deep State, Urban Liberals, Democrats, Mexicans, Hillary Clinton, or some combination of them.

4. See #3, we could see a lot worse than Charlottesville.

REASONS FOR:

1. If Trump remains in office and continues his massive deficit spending policies, the recession that finally comes later will be vastly worse than the one we will get now.

2. Trump is so dangerous and so odious that basically anything that gets rid of him is justified.

• Like 2

Rooting for the cocky braggadocio to fail is as natural as breathing.

1 minute ago, shubrook said:

Why root for a recession - are you worried that the DNC nominee won't be able to beat Trump on merit?

Merit?? since when have your Elk believed in merit?

Blind Frodo's pox ridden polecat could beat Trump on merit.

Merit?? since when have your Elk believed in merit?

Blind Frodo's pox ridden polecat could beat Trump on merit.

Shit, is he in the primary, too? He might win it...

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

Rooting for the cocky braggadocio to fail is as natural as breathing.

Except it is like rooting for a pilot you hate to crash while you are in his airplane :o You must REALLY want to get rid of him!

• Like 2

How embarassing, you're currently being saved by Walmart.

Prolly be all those chinese goods 

3 minutes ago, shubrook said:

Shit, is he in the primary, too? He might win it...

He's a Republican.

He's a Republican.

Republicans don't let polecats vote, tho.