https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/08/18/leaked-memo-says-britain-faces-economic-social-chaos-if-it-goes-through-with-no-deal-brexit/

LONDON — An increasingly likely “no-deal” Brexit could wreak havoc on Britain’s economy, infrastructure and social fabric, the government says in classified documents leaked to a British newspaper.

The costs of food and social care would rise, while medicines could be delayed, the Sunday Times reported. Border delays would interrupt fuel supplies. Ports would suffer severe disruptions and recover only partially after three months, leaving traffic at 50 to 70 percent of the current flow.

Those are some of the effects predicted by “Operation Yellowhammer,” which the newspaper said was compiled this month by Britain’s Cabinet Office and available to those with “need to know” security clearances.

So this could be really a big mess, but maybe good for tourists with a crashed pound if said tourists don't mind a big mess :rolleyes:

* somewhere Goering is having a drink of hot lye in hell, watching the news, and thinking "If only we had Cambridge Analytica back in the day we could have convinced the RAF to bomb London for us and save us all kinds of gas and wear and tear on the airplanes" :P

Trump and Boris are working on a deal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49135045

You can't see what's in it until the UK leaves.

from the article:

The EU customs union forbids members negotiating trade agreements separately from the EU. Instead, trade agreements are negotiated collectively.

Who would join a club with rules like that?

6 hours ago, shubrook said:

Trump and Boris are working on a deal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49135045

You can't see what's in it until the UK leaves.

from the article:

Who would join a club with rules like that?

What could possibly go wrong with a Trump deal? I mean look at that big beautiful healthcare, and the wall that Mexico paid for, all those jobs that came back and I could go on.....

Dumb and Dumberer. 

My brother married an Irish women and has been an Irish citizen for 10 years.  They live over there.  He had some interesting observations.   

• Chances are that a no-deal brexit will be harder on the Irish than the English
  • A no deal brexit, by default, leads to a hard border with N. Ireland.
  • A hard border brings back the dead-enders from the IRA, especially with the first point.
  • The English will man check points with Poles and other Eastern Europeans:   the same folks they want to kick out.  After all, when the IRA starts taking shots at the guards at the check points, you think Boris will want dead English guards in the news?

Jesus, what a shit show this has become.  Hey @mad, @Derek Grebe or any of the other brits here.  How does this all play out?  Boris has been denied a general election.  If nothing gets done by the deadline, does the UK automatically crash out on 31 Oct?  Or does Parliament still have to vote again on leaving?  

I still think the Irish issue is easily solved by the UK.  Ignore it.  If a hard border goes up, let it be the EU that does it and gets the blame.  The UK should just let the current status quo stand and leave the border open.  It hurts the EU more than the UK.  Boris should just shrug and say "I didn't put up a border, as far as I'm concerned the Irish people can go back and forth as they have for years.  If anyone is stopping them, blame the EU for that."

On 8/20/2019 at 7:04 AM, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

@Shootist Jeff isn't worried, he knows Borris is a bright guy...

I think suspending parliament was a stupid and risky move for very little gain.  I think if he had just gotten on with talks with the EU and tried to negotiate a deal, he would have had the support of the MPs.  And even if they then later still voted any new plan down, presumably the UK crashes out anyway.  I think with the deadline looming, the pressure on the MPs would have gotten greater to pass something.  Now they are all in full revolt and its now less about brexit and more about Boris.  He is a bright guy, but in this case he was an absolute dumbass.   

On 8/19/2019 at 9:29 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

E0608452-EF97-4C1B-A3FB-A6E744E854EC.jpeg

No doubt the happiest and proudest politician in this whole mess.  He's successfully exposed the Achilles heel of, not just of the UK, but also the US - gullibility.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Jesus, what a shit show this has become.  Hey @mad, @Derek Grebe or any of the other brits here.  How does this all play out?  Boris has been denied a general election.  If nothing gets done by the deadline, does the UK automatically crash out on 31 Oct?  Or does Parliament still have to vote again on leaving?  

I still think the Irish issue is easily solved by the UK.  Ignore it.  If a hard border goes up, let it be the EU that does it and gets the blame.  The UK should just let the current status quo stand and leave the border open.  It hurts the EU more than the UK.  Boris should just shrug and say "I didn't put up a border, as far as I'm concerned the Irish people can go back and forth as they have for years.  If anyone is stopping them, blame the EU for that."

There's one over in SA and another one somewhere in PA.

The short answer............nobody has a fucking clue anymore, but the loser will definitely be the UK for a decade or 2, or even more.

• Like 2

Umm, one of the main reasons they are leaving is because they WANT to control immigration. 

I think suspending parliament was a stupid and risky move for very little gain.  I think if he had just gotten on with talks with the EU and tried to negotiate a deal, he would have had the support of the MPs.  And even if they then later still voted any new plan down, presumably the UK crashes out anyway.  I think with the deadline looming, the pressure err on the MPs would have gotten greater to pass something.  Now they are all in full revolt and its now less about brexit and more about Boris.  He is a bright guy, but in this case he was an absolute dumbass.   

I guess you can’t read. The EU isn’t willing to talk anymore. As far as they are concerned the deal is already on the table. The U.K. is not in a position of strength in this.

7 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Can you imagine Trump building a wall on the border but leaving a big gap - say all of New Mexico - and then new Mexico deciding they were having no customs/immigration control of any kind on their border. For some reason New Mexicans will start a nasty civil war and bombing campaign if you try and make them have border controls with Mexico AND they will do that too if you try and wall off New Mexico from the rest of the USA.

Now Mexicans can walk right into New Mexico and then just keep on going. The whole point of Brexit was keeping people OUT of the UK. If you leave the Irish border open they just wander right in just like before :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

He is a bright guy, but in this case he was an absolute dumbass.   

Or maybe, just maybe, Boris is a self-centered narcissitic dumbass on everything. And maybe, just maybe, this whole Brexit idea is a shitshow because it's a terrible fucking idea.

Nope, you couldn't be wrong. 

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Can you imagine Trump building a wall on the border but leaving a big gap - say all of New Mexico - and then new Mexico deciding they were having no customs/immigration control of any kind on their border. For some reason New Mexicans will start a nasty civil war and bombing campaign if you try and make them have border controls with Mexico AND they will do that too if you try and wall off New Mexico from the rest of the USA.

Now Mexicans can walk right into New Mexico and then just keep on going. The whole point of Brexit was keeping people OUT of the UK. If you leave the Irish border open they just wander right in just like before :rolleyes:

Ummm, last I checked when I was over there - it would be a little hard to walk over from N. Ireland to the UK mainland.  

But you're missing the point.  It is the EU who is having kittens about a hard border in Ireland.  

4 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

it would be a little hard to walk over from N. Ireland to the UK mainland.  

Are you recommending a hard immigration entry at all the entry ports between N.I. and Eng/Wales/Scot?  That's gonna go over great!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Are you recommending a hard immigration entry at all the entry ports between N.I. and Eng/Wales/Scot?  That's gonna go over great!

That would be a recipe for getting NI to decide it has more to gain being part of Ireland than part of the UK. With the real possibility of Scotland holding another independence referendum and voting to go and join the EU, Great Britain becomes a lot less great than before - or as Trump calls it, 'England' (apologies to the Welsh who might leave too).

• Like 1

Personally the best thing the UK could do would be to cut NI loose altogether and let Ireland have them.  They've been nothing but trouble for decades.

And..... NI is a bit of a shithole compared to the rest of the island.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Personally the best thing the UK could do would be to cut NI loose altogether and let Ireland have them.  They've been nothing but trouble for decades.

And that’ll start another sectarian war!! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Your lack of understanding of a very well documented political situation and history is stunning.  Read a fucking book.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Jeffreaux doesn’t get it

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Jeffreaux doesn’t get it

He is channeling his inner Meli, pretending to not know obvious things like there are plenty of ways to get from Northern Ireland to the UK and that the Protestant half of NI will freak right the hell out if you even hint they aren't as British as Queen Elizabeth and go asking them to stand in line at customs, just like the Catholics will will freak right the hell out if you even hint they aren't as Irish as Saint Patrick and go asking them to stand in line at customs. They collectively freak out to the point of having an actual war with guns and bombs and dead people if history is any guide.

• Like 3

He is channeling his inner Meli, pretending to not know obvious things like there are plenty of ways to get from Northern Ireland to the UK and that the Protestant half of NI will freak right the hell out if you even hint they aren't as British as Queen Elizabeth and go asking them to stand in line at customs, just like the Catholics will will freak right the hell out if you even hint they aren't as Irish as Saint Patrick and go asking them to stand in line at customs. They collectively freak out to the point of having an actual war with guns and bombs and dead people if history is any guide.

I thought the same thing! 

"Why is Jeffery channeling Meli?"

4 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Or maybe, just maybe, Boris is a self-centered narcissitic dumbass on everything. And maybe, just maybe, this whole Brexit idea is a shitshow because it's a terrible fucking idea and was only foisted on the UK population by Boris (with the help of Putin) as a power grab within the UK government.

FIFY

In one thread @Dog whines about being called a Nazi, in this thread he's posting propaganda from the AfD ( right wing German nationalist populist party) off of a a youtube channel that's heavily european rightwing populist nationalism. 

it's quite the online rabbit hole of bullshit & hate the rightwing PA turds have gone down lately

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

I thought the same thing! 

"Why is Jeffery channeling Meli?"

I was wondering that too.:blink:

FWIW, I don't think there will be a problem between north and south, That's old people stuff. there will be an open border.The under 50's dont give a toss about that stuff anymore.

20 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

FWIW, I don't think there will be a problem between north and south, That's old people stuff. there will be an open border.The under 50's dont give a toss about that stuff anymore.

If there is an open border, the UK is still effectively in the EU. IMHO you are vastly underestimating the ability of the Irish to fuck things up when angry, which they will be if the border is closed. Half my extended family is Irish, so ask me how I know :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Really?!!!!

Another bomb found in Londonderry during a search, with 40 plus petrol bombs thrown at Police during the search. Mostly by young people. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2019/09/09/petrol-bombs-thrown-at-northern-irish-police-during-operation-against-new-ira

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

If there is an open border, the UK is still effectively in the EU. IMHO you are vastly underestimating the ability of the Irish to fuck things up when angry, which they will be if the border is closed. Half my extended family is Irish, so ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Yeah, but if the southerners let the northerners in, and the northerners let the southern IRISH in..and no one else. I dont see a problem. The north doesn't have to let other EU people in does it? We have an open border between us and NZ..no one else gets in...never been a problem.

4 minutes ago, mad said:

Really?!!!!

Another bomb found in Londonderry Derry during a search, with 40 plus petrol bombs thrown at Police during the search. Mostly by young people. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2019/09/09/petrol-bombs-thrown-at-northern-irish-police-during-operation-against-new-ira

FTFY

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Yeah, but if the southerners let the northerners in, and the northerners let the southern IRISH in..and no one else. I dont see a problem. The north doesn't have to let other EU people in does it? We have an open border between us and NZ..no one else gets in...never been a problem.

YOU don't see it, but the Irish sure do. They do not want to go through customs and immigration to move back and forth.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Clueless as usual.

5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I don't know who runs Customs for the UK, but I'm guessing it's not the local border towns.

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

YOU don't see it, but the Irish sure do. They do not want to go through customs and immigration to move back and forth.

And they needn't..It's not that hard unless people want to make it hard.

The BrExit referendum was held on June 23, 2016.  The EU and Britain have had three years to come to an agreement.

Britain has had three years to prepare for and develop plans for the exit.  The politicians are using it to force a lot of internal dissension.  My impression from being there for three weeks last month was that the populace is less worried than the press and politicians would have you believe.  Many who really, really dislike Johnson believe that his no bullshit attitude is what is needed and that they can adapt to the change.

The EU has been insisting on a hard border in Ireland to punish the UK.  The solution there was to let them build and enforce it.

6 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Clueless as usual.

Well maybe it's the southerners dont care.. They seem to be mostly over here anyway :)

:surrender:

Brexit ain't going to happen anyway, They'll have an election, toss the torys and sing kumbya 

10 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Have you ever actually met anyone from Ireland :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

The BrExit referendum was held on June 23, 2016.  The EU and Britain have had three years to come to an agreement.

Britain has had three years to prepare for and develop plans for the exit.  The politicians are using it to force a lot of internal dissension.  My impression from being there for three weeks last month was that the populace is less worried than the press and politicians would have you believe.  Many who really, really dislike Johnson believe that his no bullshit attitude is what is needed and that they can adapt to the change.

The EU has been insisting on a hard border in Ireland to punish the UK.  The solution there was to let them build and enforce it.

automotivator_remain-calm-1380645949.jpg

Have you ever actually met anyone from Ireland :unsure:

Of course. My Husband's family came from Enniskillen .........................................................................................

180 years ago and they still have a brogue :D 

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

In one thread @Dog whines about being called a Nazi, in this thread he's posting propaganda from the AfD ( right wing German nationalist populist party) off of a a youtube channel that's heavily european rightwing populist nationalism. 

it's quite the online rabbit hole of bullshit & hate the rightwing PA turds have gone down lately

In which jiblet comments only on people.

8 minutes ago, Dog said:

Actually, he's commenting on your posts and not your person.

Let me revise that. I think you're complaining that Jiblet isn't taking on AfD's ideas. You are correct but they're not ideas worthy of being addressed. That said, *you* are putting AfD's ideas forward.

Or are they just interesting questions?

19 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

except the North is part of the UK, and the UK decided to get out of the EU, mostly in order to control their border and immigration.

Now, if you mean that NI won't need borders between them and the south after they secede from the UK, you'd be correct.

29 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

FTFY

Doesn’t change the fact that they’re still carrying on with the sectarian violence. Add a border to the mix and see what happens then. 

23 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Well maybe it's the southerners dont care.. They seem to be mostly over here anyway :)

:surrender:

Brexit ain't going to happen anyway, They'll have an election, toss the torys and sing kumbya 

I admire your optimism for the last part of the post. 

Why do all the Brexiteers think there is a way to be only partially pregnant?

Same type of folks who thought Mexico would build a wall.

1 hour ago, mad said:

Doesn’t change the fact that they’re still carrying on with the sectarian violence. Add a border to the mix and see what happens then. 

If Ireland leaves the UK - does that mean that you'll get trashcans back in London? 

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Is mentioning that the AfD, like many of the other right wing populists in Europe, have been funded with Russian money and have dubious Russian backing online, but obviously that doesn't influence people at all, commenting on people or the quality of ideas? I mean, there's nothing wrong with a totally controlled by Putin parliamentarian, is there?

9 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Is mentioning that the AfD, like many of the other right wing populists in Europe, have been funded with Russian money and have dubious Russian backing online, but obviously that doesn't influence people at all, commenting on people or the quality of ideas? I mean, there's nothing wrong with a totally controlled by Putin parliamentarian, is there?

Fuck the innuendo, that shit is cheap. What about the content of her address...any thoughts on that?

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

any thoughts on that?

It's what Putin's paying her for and why he supports her. Stupid, transparent, dumb, divisive bullshit. Just like your boy Shitstain.

It's not innuendo, bitch. It's you not having the fucking balls to see the truth googling stupid shit to feed your confimation bias, then shitposting here to troll people like any another retarded Republican incel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Why do all the Brexiteers think there is a way to be only partially pregnant?

Exactly!!  however this is the bullshit line that was sold to the public, unfortunately a very small majority swallowed it and voted that way. 

Now the truth is out............

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

If Ireland leaves the UK - does that mean that you'll get trashcans back in London? 

They’ve been back for a while, just clear Perspex and clear bags so the contents are easily visible. 

3 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

UK: We want out!

EU: You're out!

UK: We didn't mean OUT, we meant out-ish :rolleyes:

And that in a nutshell sums it up. 

1 minute ago, mad said:

They’ve been back for a while, just clear Perspex and clear bags so the contents are easily visible. 

So if I throw away some road flares and batteries with an IRA sticker on them will anyone be mad at me?

4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

UK: Baby doll, we can still have sex while I'm looking for someone else, right?

• Like 1

Just now, Olsonist said:

Baby doll, we can still have sex while I'm looking for someone else, right?

"No, I don't want an open relationship for you, just for me. No, I'm not going to pay the back rent I owe you, or the lease break fee"

34 minutes ago, mad said:

No kidding?  GOOD!  When did that happen?  last time in the UK was around 2011 - I didn't remember seeing them then, but, each time we went to London town on that trip, it was after a few pints of Hobgoblin in Godmanchester before we jumped on the train in Huntingdon. 

It's what Putin's paying her for and why he supports her. Stupid, transparent, dumb, divisive bullshit. Just like your boy Shitstain.

It's not innuendo, bitch. It's you not having the fucking balls to see the truth googling stupid shit to feed your confimation bias, then shitposting here to troll people like any another retarded Republican incel.

Yeah it is. You can't address the content so you respond with fucking innuendo and no one with a brain is impressed by it. You and your fucking Russians. I would have thought you learned better by now.

7 minutes ago, Dog said:

Yeah it is. You can't address the content so you respond with fucking innuendo and no one with a brain is impressed by it. You and your fucking Russians. I would have thought you learned better by now.

Learned better than to talk to you like a human being who's capable of learning, honest debate, self reflection and honest participation? I have. I treat you like a lying, propagandizing, traitorous piece of shit. It's not rumours, it's not innuendo it's stone cold fucking fact. And your unwillingness to deal with it honestly shows why you - and your elk - and Trump - are fucking threat to free society.

There's no content there, cunt. There's just the usual dumb, chidlish, pro-brexit lies. But you are too fucking dumb to admit that,  to marinated in your rightwing circlejerks to see out of it, too fucking stubborn to change.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, mad said:

Exactly!!  however this is the bullshit line that was sold to the public, unfortunately a very small majority swallowed it and voted that way. 

Now the truth is out............

Can't abort! that would be against the will of God! So you gotta take this little creature to birth, and are stuck for at least a generation.

So if I throw away some road flares and batteries with an IRA sticker on them will anyone be mad at me?

Give it a go and see how you get on. 

With the heightened security in the UK and decades of practice by the services, It’s probably not a good idea. 

54 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

No kidding?  GOOD!  When did that happen?  last time in the UK was around 2011 - I didn't remember seeing them then, but, each time we went to London town on that trip, it was after a few pints of Hobgoblin in Godmanchester before we jumped on the train in Huntingdon. 

They’re not everywhere, lower risk areas from what I’ve seen.  Then again, I avoid London and other high risk areas for that very reason. 

I grew up never seeing a rubbish anywhere in a city or airport, it’s just part of life. 

Not quite sure why they bother though, there’s plenty of other places to leave things.  Things have moved on since then. 

• Like 1

First time I was in the UK we had to change one night of our trip because we were told "The Irish" burned down the inn we were headed to. It was not made clear if this was the IRA or random drunk pyromaniacs.

5 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You mean “Out out”?

18 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

First time I was in the UK we had to change one night of our trip because we were told "The Irish" burned down the inn we were headed to. It was not made clear if this was the IRA or random drunk pyromaniacs.

There were plenty of things going on, and I’m sure, quite few scores settled under the guise of that as well. 

Firebomb a few properties and blame someone easier. 

It wasn’t always the IRA, both sides and factions within had their moments

The main participants in the Troubles were republican paramilitaries such as the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) and the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA); loyalist paramilitaries such as the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and Ulster Defence Association (UDA);

17 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The inn in question was in England, so we doubted a loyalist bunch burned it down.

Wasn’t aware of when or where.  Just pointing out that both sides played a similar game.

• Like 1

Learned better than to talk to you like a human being who's capable of learning, honest debate, self reflection and honest participation? I have. I treat you like a lying, propagandizing, traitorous piece of shit. It's not rumours, it's not innuendo it's stone cold fucking fact. And your unwillingness to deal with it honestly shows why you - and your elk - and Trump - are fucking threat to free society.

There's no content there, cunt. There's just the usual dumb, chidlish, pro-brexit lies. But you are too fucking dumb to admit that,  to marinated in your rightwing circlejerks to see out of it, too fucking stubborn to change.

Please, it's obvious that you just can't abide, let alone address rationally, any criticism of Brussels. So all we get from you is vapid innuendo.

oh yeah, and.... RUSSIA!

12 minutes ago, mad said:

Wasn’t aware of when or where.  Just pointing out that both sides played a similar game.

You are quite right and my impression was eventually the various "sides" morphed into basically criminal gangs that used the politics to recruit n00bs.

9 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You are quite right and my impression was eventually the various "sides" morphed into basically criminal gangs that used the politics to recruit n00bs.

Exactly this, add in a border where there’s price difference or products more difficult to obtain and then you have a homegrown smuggling business opportunity on the doorstep. The boys will be fighting it out soon carving up the business under a terrorist guise again. 

Both sides are past masters of running the border. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Ahem, that happened already.

Around 100 years ago.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 5:33 PM, Saorsa said:

This^^ has been my entire point.  It is the EU that is insisting on the hard border.  Fine, then let the EU enforce it.  If the Irish get angry, it will be at the EU not the UK.  

The EU has insisted on the "Irish backstop" as a way to sow dissention within the UK and its worked brilliantly.  Turn the tables on them and tell them it's their issue to deal with.  The EU will shit themselves silly at that point.

8 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Ahem, that happened already.

Around 100 years ago.

Not in any London station or airport that I’ve seen in that , or even now. 

I was amazed going to the US the first time and not seeing seriously armed security. I was told it would never happen here..... 

34 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

This^^ has been my entire point.  It is the EU that is insisting on the hard border.  Fine, then let the EU enforce it.  If the Irish get angry, it will be at the EU not the UK.  

The EU has insisted on the "Irish backstop" as a way to sow dissention within the UK and its worked brilliantly.  Turn the tables on them and tell them it's their issue to deal with.  The EU will shit themselves silly at that point.

If only that were actually true.

Answering one question on the backstop – the insurance policy for ensuring no hard Irish border by maintaining elements of the customs union and single market if no other permanent solution can be found – Johnson again ruled out the idea of having this just for Northern Ireland – which would create a trade border in the Irish sea.

Of course, there's also Gibraltar which voted 95% Remain. The 14 British Overseas Territories voted 96% Remain. Northern Ireland (55% Remain) isn't a British Overseas Territory although you have to cross the Irish Sea to get there from England. Go figure.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/brexit-trouble-paradise-britain-overseas-territories-190119225442121.html

In related news,

Fears of no-deal chaos as ministers forced to publish secret Brexit papers

Operation Yellowhammer documents predict public disorder, rising prices and disruptions to food and medicines

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/11/operation-yellowhammer-fears-no-deal-brexit-chaos-forced-to-publish-secret-papers

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

It's all good.

31 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Answering one question on the backstop – the insurance policy for ensuring no hard Irish border by maintaining elements of the customs union and single market if no other permanent solution can be found – Johnson again ruled out the idea of having this just for Northern Ireland – which would create a trade border in the Irish sea.

You would think Jeff would get tired of hitting himself in the head and just decide to read and learn for a couple of months instead of posting and revealung his ignorance and getting beat down frequently.

• Like 1

It is true to Jeffreaux & Dog & co. There is nothing you can say that will change their mind, as evidenced in this thread. All arguing with them does is convince them of the validity of their argument. They are fanatics; they know the true path and are on it.

You can look at the failure of the Eu & Uk to come to a deal as a political failure on both sides, and that's true. That Brexit exists is purely, and solely, a UK failure.

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

There is no answer to a 'border-not a border' problem. The EU has the leverage on this one.   

For a while, i thought the Brits were going to leave the pack but, in then end, I see capitulation and the status quo wins again.  The EU will celebrate by printing more money.  Or commiserate by printing more money.  

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

So Brexit was fueled by xenobphobes (like yourself)  that want to keep out out refugees and hard working immigrants.  In your world, brexit happens and the border between N. Ireland and Ireland remains status quo.  Now, the brits want to keep out those damned Poles-- except for the one that watches their kids and the one who cleans their house-- they love those Poles, but the rest are lazy leeches.  

So the Pole that can't get into England after your version of Brexit flies to Dublin instead.  Takes a bus to N. Ireland and then a ferry to England.   Is that about where your thinking drives into the ocean and misses the ferry?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clove Hitch said:

So Brexit was fueled by xenobphobes (like yourself)  that want to keep out out refugees and hard working immigrants.  In your world, brexit happens and the border between N. Ireland and Ireland remains status quo.  Now, the brits want to keep out those damned Poles-- except for the one that watches their kids and the one who cleans their house-- they love those Poles, but the rest are lazy leeches.  

So the Pole that can't get into England after your version of Brexit flies to Dublin instead.  Takes a bus to N. Ireland and then a ferry to England.   Is that about where your thinking drives into the ocean and misses the ferry?

Nationalists aren't actually xenophobes although I recognize you desperation to attribute everything to fear.

Most of the brits I know actually like the Poles.  There are a lot of Romanians however who are disliked, not feared

From https://www.carnegiecouncil.org/publications/articles_papers_reports/20190627-romanian-diaspora-impact-european-stability

A conservative estimate has one in five working-age Romanians now living abroad, with some 2.5 million of the 3.4 million Romanian diaspora residing in EU member states. The Ministry for Romanians Living Abroad estimates the diaspora to number 4.4 million but credible figures are hard to come by. These statistical discrepancies have to do with the restrictive definitions of documented emigrants. Somewhere between 12 percent and 17 percent of the country's total population is believed to have established residences abroad, but that doesn't account for the largely undocumented low-skilled seasonal workforce freely migrating on demand in Western EU member states. Among the country's urban, presumably more skilled population, close to 16 percent have permanently moved abroad and the age group of this mobile labor force also implies that more Romanian children are now born abroad than in the country. Children belonging to the unrecorded seasonal workforce are left in precarious social settings raised by extended informal support networks. The poorest region of the country, the Romanian Moldova region, has a GDP per capita at 36 percent of the EU average according to Eurostat and consequently almost 18 percent of its natives have established residence abroad. A UN report in 2015 estimated that between 2000 and 2015 the Romanian diaspora grew by 7.3 percent with 3 million Romanians having left the country in that period. Worldwide the Romanian diaspora's growth rate trailed only that of the Syrian diaspora and this was in a EU member state.

Quite a lot of them seemed to hang out around the Trevi Fountain in Rome picking pockets and begging.

Forget the UK and take a look at other European countries experience with open borders considering the amount of economic disparity between western and eastern Europe.

9 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Quite a lot of them seemed to hang out around the Trevi Fountain in Rome picking pockets and begging.

Saorsa confuses Roma in Rome with Romanians :lol: