You don't want to miss this one. Always a great event. Last years HERE

We have a bus returning to AYC 17:30 first aboard win the free ride 

1 hour ago, Greyhound37 said:

You don't want to miss this one. Always a great event. Last years HERE

We have a bus returning to AYC 17:30 first aboard win the free ride 

Yesss! Now I just need to find a ride.

120 boats registered last year

66 this year with a week to go. 

More people getting out of racing than coming in it seems. 

I think it’s the weather this yr that is starting to depress turnout. Most of the Bay races this year have been unusually light wind, whereas half the recent Wed night races have been cancelled for thunder storms.

but this could be the first real good wind Bay race since the Spring Oxford, so I am looking forward to it.

100 boats now

30 in A-0,1 & 2

Forecast is light 5 and 5-10 which is bullshit

When the carcass of Dorian heads up the stream we will have 18-25 knots from the north or north east. You heard it here first (even though my opinion is based on zero understanding of weather)  

• Like 1

114 boats entered so far, who said sailing was dead?  47 boats in PHRF A0-2, and another 24 in cruising class  ( and half of the cruisers are really PHRF A2 boats).

Sure would like to know what the weather will do on Saturday...

Sailflow has it 5-10 from the west, 10-12 after 1:30+/- then back to 5-8 all westerly

122 boats now. This is a popular event.

Can we still return through Knapps narrows or did the entrances shoal in?

So I was just given a heads up regarding Port condition ZULU for Hampton Roads/Norfolk.   All marine traffic closed south of BlackWalnutPoint.  Hmmm....

At 5:00 a.m. Eastern Standard time on September 6, 2019, the Sector Maryland-National Capital Region Captain of the Port (COTP) will set Port Condition ZULU (Modified) for Ocean City Inlet, Isle of Wight Bay, Assawoman Bay, Sinepuxent Bay and the Chesapeake Bay south of Blackwalnut Point (southernmost tip of Tilghman Island, MD) as a precaution against heavy weather impacts of Hurricane DORIAN.

In order to safeguard vessels, ports and waterfront facilities from damage due to Hurricane DORIAN, a temporary safety zone established by the COTP is in effect. Per the established safety zone, Ocean City Inlet, Isle of Wight Bay, Assawoman Bay, Sinepuxent Bay and the Chesapeake Bay south of Blackwalnut Point(southernmost tip of Tilghman Island, MD) are closed to all vessel traffic.

This will be well past by tomorrow AM.  I suppose if there's any boats coming up early from the Choptank to participate, they'd have to take the Narrows, but scanning the scratch sheet, most of the participants are Annapolis area.

Well, it lived up to all expectations....no wind after a big hurricane and a typically clownish performance from the RC.  I know they can't do anything about the weather, but after 65 years of running this event, you'd think NASS would have figured out how to manage a race.  After the fifth discussion of the meaning of multiple different flag signals on the VHF,  I finally hoisted Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot and went home.  The US Navy; almost 250 years of tradition uninterrupted by progress.  It's like Lucy pulling away the football every time Charlie Brown goes to kick it.....we all know what's going to happen but the potential for some really great kicks brings us back year after year.

• Downvote 1

The flag confusion was largely a result of some skippers not Knowing what the abandonment (for the firststart) flag meant, and because they RC insisted on making the first start continue racing until the RC had pulled up anchor to move course, but issued a new start direction to the rest of the fleet. Now that we have radios (for over 100 yrs really) I personally dont understand why RC won’t just give plain English instructions, rather than just using VHF to repeat the flag (lima, papa, etc) 

With the wind, should have shortened course too... but that’s hindsight.

All that said, it was a great party!

Thought the race committee did a great job trying to get a race in.  They were up against a very difficult weather forecast and I imagine under some pressure to get all the boats to Oxford for the party.  They were explaining the flags for the benefit of the cruising class who had already started and probably don't all have an in detail understanding of the rules.  I thought that while they probably should have shortened the course one mark earlier, they did an admirable job.

What I can't stand was all the griping on the radio.  Whoever that lady was who kept complaining about wanting to start the party and get to Oxford should be ashamed of herself.  If I was on her crew I would have thrown her overboard.  Disrespecting volunteers who are out there trying to run a race for you is unconscionable.  If you don't want to race, go home.  Don't ruin it for the rest of us who are out there to race.

• Like 1

Agree with your comments on the Race Committee, but I take issue with your comment about the cruising class.  The starting line was extremely long and with all the boats milling around the start line, it was hard to even find the RC boat at times, let alone read the flags.  

People need to learn... races like this are for the crew to get hammered while you sit and bob, and for catching really good size rockfish.  You can get a trophy fish on a day like that.  I can only assume people didn't pack enough booze, or any fishing rods.  No need to rank out the RC.  It's a terrible gig on a day with no wind. 

This was the first Fall Oxford I've I've missed in several years.  I took the day off to rebuild my head.  That was joy, and the only saving grace is there was so much pollen that my allergy-blocked nose was incapable of noticing smells for most of the morning.  I was home by noon, showered and downing a daquiri and watching the Army game... I may have gotten the better deal here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

People need to learn... races like this are for the crew to get hammered while you sit and bob, and for catching really good size rockfish.  You can get a trophy fish on a day like that.  I can only assume people didn't pack enough booze, or any fishing rods.  No need to rank out the RC.  It's a terrible gig on a day with no wind. 

This was the first Fall Oxford I've I've missed in several years.  I took the day off to rebuild my head.  That was joy, and the only saving grace is there was so much pollen that my allergy-blocked nose was incapable of noticing smells for most of the morning.  I was home by noon, showered and downing a daquiri and watching the Army game... I may have gotten the better deal here.

I dealt with a constipated, geriatric cat at the vet's office.  Somehow, it doesn't sound like I missed much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I dealt with a constipated, geriatric cat at the vet's office.  Somehow, it doesn't sound like I missed much. 

Not so grasshopper. Those of us who participated are keenly practiced in setting up the boat and motoring to the start line 3 times. That kind of practice will pay off in the AYC race to Solomons. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vtsail said:

Thought the race committee did a great job trying to get a race in.  They were up against a very difficult weather forecast and I imagine under some pressure to get all the boats to Oxford for the party.  They were explaining the flags for the benefit of the cruising class who had already started and probably don't all have an in detail understanding of the rules.  I thought that while they probably should have shortened the course one mark earlier, they did an admirable job.

What I can't stand was all the griping on the radio.  Whoever that lady was who kept complaining about wanting to start the party and get to Oxford should be ashamed of herself.  If I was on her crew I would have thrown her overboard.  Disrespecting volunteers who are out there trying to run a race for you is unconscionable.  If you don't want to race, go home.  Don't ruin it for the rest of us who are out there to race.

The amount of chatter on the radio the last two weekends is disappointing to say at the least. Personally, I find those people constantly on the radio questioning rc to be complete assholes. Badgering people that are volunteers, so that we may do something we enjoy is uncalled for. I hope one day, rc asks what sail number they are and throw them out of the regatta. We don’t always like rc decisions, but show them respect, they don’t have to be there. If you think you can do better volunteer. Otherwise shut up. 

Could they have shortened the course, yes. Should they, yes. However, it also boggles my mind why the constant need to complain by those on the radio. It’s a distance race, you knew what you signed up for as it was always going to be an all day affair. The party in Oxford is always fun, and I was looking forward to it all day while enjoying my time with friends. We’re privileged to be able to do what we do. 

9 hours ago, vtsail said:

I think that lady stated on the radio what boat she was on during her withdrawal announcement .  The "Bye Felicia" after was pretty darned funny.  

Part of our frustration was the lack of good communication post 1800 from the RC.  This happened for the Inaugural AYC spring Oxford 2 years ago (that fiasco), and other times as well.  I know RC is a volunteer position, but monitoring course conditions better would help address these concerns,allowing better ability to shorten course,  and the best way to do that is to have a boat on the water.  From what I (finally) heard relayed on the VHF was that a boat called RC via phone who were at the TAYC.  That boat relayed to the fleet abandonment.  There were a few boats that did not pick up that broadcast and carried on.  We never heard abandonment directly from RC. 

Oh well, the party was pretty fun at least. 

BTW - anyone know who was running the drone around BlackWalnut point taking video of the fleet? 

14 hours ago, bosundog said:

I think that lady stated on the radio what boat she was on during her withdrawal announcement .  The "Bye Felicia" after was pretty darned funny.  

Part of our frustration was the lack of good communication post 1800 from the RC.  This happened for the Inaugural AYC spring Oxford 2 years ago (that fiasco), and other times as well.  I know RC is a volunteer position, but monitoring course conditions better would help address these concerns,allowing better ability to shorten course,  and the best way to do that is to have a boat on the water.  From what I (finally) heard relayed on the VHF was that a boat called RC via phone who were at the TAYC.  That boat relayed to the fleet abandonment.  There were a few boats that did not pick up that broadcast and carried on.  We never heard abandonment directly from RC. 

Oh well, the party was pretty fun at least. 

We did hear the announcement from the RC at 1800.  It was repeated at least once after that.  However I will concede that we were the closest boat to the finish and the signal was fairly weak.

Those starting lines...gosh. I mean, golly gosh. 

Oh well. 

We had a great race against the Express 30, swapping places back and forth.  Once again (like on Hornet last year with AYC debacle) we had certain victory snatched away.  It's getting to be a fad.

Such is life.

ChoptankDrift.jpg

3 hours ago, vtsail said:

We did hear the announcement from the RC at 1800.  It was repeated at least once after that.  However I will concede that we were the closest boat to the finish and the signal was fairly weak.

Yeah, we were back with the PHRF C boats, unclear about shortened course as well. 

6 hours ago, TimFordi550#87 said:

Those starting lines...gosh. I mean, golly gosh. 

Oh well. 

We had a great race against the Express 30, swapping places back and forth.  Once again (like on Hornet last year with AYC debacle) we had certain victory snatched away.  It's getting to be a fad.

Such is life.

ChoptankDrift.jpg

That looks like fun

We had 13 min to finish with 1.2 miles to go when they called it.

We were the lead boat.

What a bummer.

Still had a great time.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:51 PM, daffyd said:

It's like Lucy pulling away the football every time Charlie Brown goes to kick it.....we all know what's going to happen but the potential for some really great kicks brings us back year after year.

Bingo. Well stated and soooo true. 

On 9/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, jesposito said:

That looks like fun

It was, John, but it would have been more fun with Hustler there. 

1 hour ago, TimFordi550#87 said:

It was, John, but it would have been more fun with Hustler there. 

Yeah, because we suck in light air

5 hours ago, jesposito said:

Yeah, because we suck in light air

So untrue.  You sure as sh*t didn't at Block in....whatever year that was....2011?  2009?  

I forgets. 

On 9/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, TimFordi550#87 said:

So untrue.  You sure as sh*t didn't at Block in....whatever year that was....2011?  2009?  

I forgets. 

Thanks, we must have gotten lucky. lol