Sign in to follow this  
billy backstay

KIA STINGER GT ??

Recommended Posts

Anyone have one?  Driven one?  My WRX will be at 60k miles next year, so probably going to trade it in.  Was going to get another WRX, but with paddle shifters-auto, instead of a clutch pedal.  But this looks like it might be a more suitable replacement.

"GT model comes with the 365-hp twin-turbo V-6 and several premium features, including Brembo brakes, 19-inch wheels with high-performance summer tires, and variable-ratio steering."  

40k, but another 2,200 for AWD, which I MUST have in New England,  but I don't think I want to spend another 6k for:

"the GT1 trim adds a larger infotainment system with navigation, adaptive dampers, a 15-speaker audio system, and memory settings for the driver's seat, among other features." 

With an Iphone and Google maps, who needs navigation any more, and I'm sure the stock ICE will be more than adequate for my needs. Adaptive dampers sounds nice, but memory seats are not needed, since it will seldom be driven by anyone but me. 

Certainly not as classy and a Bimmer M3, but nearly as good and way, way cheaper.... The Stingers suspension was designed by a guy that came from BMW's M division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60k? Just getting broken in...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

60k? Just getting broken in...

 

Where are you getting that number?  M3? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

60k? Just getting broken in...

Wait, it's a Subaru, with the horizontally exploding engine ... could be good for 600k, could be good for 60k, it's hard to tell with those. My old Suby was terrific little car, but it horizontally exploded at 69k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GTS level is less $ than the GT1, and gives you a limited slip diff as well as the D-AWD (whatever the Dynamic means)....

BUT, only available in 'police attracting orange'... and they went a little nuts with the carbon accents...

https://www.kia.com/us/en/stinger/specs.GTS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, suider said:

The GTS level is less $ than the GT1, and gives you a limited slip diff as well as the D-AWD (whatever the Dynamic means)....

BUT, only available in 'police attracting orange'... and they went a little nuts with the carbon accents...

https://www.kia.com/us/en/stinger/specs.GTS

 

That's a crying shame!!

 

image.thumb.png.4e735e2ce4977f095a6ac9420d28ddf0.pngThat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Wait, it's a Subaru, with the horizontally exploding engine ... could be good for 600k, could be good for 60k, it's hard to tell with those. My old Suby was terrific little car, but it horizontally exploded at 69k.

 

I had an air-oil separator installed at 30k, since these direct injection engines no longer have gas washing the intake ports, and can become loaded with carbon by 60k, requiring an expensive decarbonizing with soda blast or walnut shells.  I reckon 60k is a good time to trade-in, as it should still have pretty good value, after I take care of some minor paint repairs.

My mechanic at a local gas station has bought a lot of Suby's with blown motors and swapped them out and resold.  I think a lot of young guys probably beat the snot out of them. I rarely get anywhere near red line, it is not necessary.  But, I am thinking 365 ponies will be a lot more fun than 268!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

 

Where are you getting that number?  M3? 

60000 miles....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

60000 miles....

 

So, just getting broken in?  Perhaps, but better to trade when it still has good value, and I am tiring of the clutch pedal, between a bulging arthritic great toe joint, and neuropathy.  As soon as I get Medicare next year, I will have the toe joint replaced, but not until then......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

So, just getting broken in?  Perhaps, but better to trade when it still has good value, and I am tiring of the clutch pedal, between a bulging arthritic great toe joint, and neuropathy.  As soon as I get Medicare next year, I will have the toe joint replaced, but not until then......

just joshing with you. My 15 year old regatta rig has 130k, the wifes has 95k, but they're automatics... and traditional engines that will run forever. Interesting to hear that Subbies have longevity issues. I wouldn't think that would fly in today's market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

just joshing with you. My 15 year old regatta rig has 130k, the wifes has 95k, but they're automatics... and traditional engines that will run forever. Interesting to hear that Subbies have longevity issues. I wouldn't think that would fly in today's market.

 

Our other 2 cars are an '04 Bimmer X3 3.0 manual with 200k miles and just recently paid 7 G's for an '02 Nissan Frontier x-tra cab with 116k miles, so we do tend to keep them longer than many.  I justify the payment on a newer car in that it's paid out of our rental property LLC, so not with dollars already reduced by 30% by the IRS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

just joshing with you. My 15 year old regatta rig has 130k, the wifes has 95k, but they're automatics... and traditional engines that will run forever. Interesting to hear that Subbies have longevity issues. I wouldn't think that would fly in today's market.

I love Subaru engineering - but, my 2013 Outback was a disappointment.  It sucked oil since new ( 1 qt every 1500 miles) and the dealer's response was that anything less than a quart every 1K miles was considered normal consumption w/the thinner 0/20w oil.   At 207K,  I was going thru a quart every 800 miles, and there had been a recall for oil consumption, but, as I already had over 100K on it, wasn't eligible.   Still a good car - I was arranging to replace the engine, and then the CVT transmission broke on a Friday commute.  New transmission was $8k.  That, plus the cost of the engine just didn't make sense to do the repairs, so I dumped it on trade for a new CR-V for my wife, and I'm now driving her "old" 2015 as my commuter beast.   It was disappointing, I'd fully expected to get 400K outta the Subaru. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Our other 2 cars are an '04 Bimmer X3 3.0 manual with 200k miles and just recently paid 7 G's for an '02 Nissan Frontier x-tra cab with 116k miles, so we do tend to keep them longer than many.  I justify the payment on a newer car in that it's paid out of our rental property LLC, so not with dollars already reduced by 30% by the IRS. 

Have you looked at the resale and reliability reports for Kia?  They've improved some over the years, but, they are Hyundai's bargain brand, their neat new offerings like the Stinger and the Telluride notwithstanding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Have you looked at the resale and reliability reports for Kia?  They've improved some over the years, but, they are Hyundai's bargain brand, their neat new offerings like the Stinger and the Telluride notwithstanding. 

 

I did not know they are part of Hyundai, and you are correct, I should do some research.  Had I researched the WRX, I would have made the dealer install all weather tires as a condition of purchase.  They cost half as much as the Hi-Performance summer tires that are the only tire they come with.  Same with the Stinger, so we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

 

I did not know they are part of Hyundai, and you are correct, I should do some research.  Had I researched the WRX, I would have made the dealer install all weather tires as a condition of purchase.  They cost half as much as the Hi-Performance summer tires that are the only tire they come with.  Same with the Stinger, so we shall see.

They DID have the coolest commercial theme I've seen in a while - I LOVED the Kia Hamsters - bought one for a buddy who just got a Soul for his commuter beast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

They DID have the coolest commercial theme I've seen in a while - I LOVED the Kia Hamsters - bought one for a buddy who just got a Soul for his commuter beast. 

 

Do you mean the Veloster?  Never heard of a Kia Hamster??   I wonder if it's best to wait a year more for any teething problems to be resolved on Stingers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

 

Do you mean the Veloster?  Never heard of a Kia Hamster??   I wonder if it's best to wait a year more for any teething problems to be resolved on Stingers?

Sorry pal - I switched gears on ya - the Kia Hamsters were a theme on Kia commercials a few years ago.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Get the Hyundai Genesis G70 instead better interior same engine better name.

 

 Looks like $46,000 with AWD and larger engine.  Worth a looksee, thanks!!!  Does it have paddle shifters?

 
How Much Does the Genesis G70 Cost? Prices for the 2019 G70 start around $35,000, which is lower than average for a luxury small car. You can add all-wheel drive for $2,000, a manual transmission for $3,000, and a larger engine for about $8,900.Aug 1, 2019
Interior: 8.3
Critics' Rating: 8.7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Car & Driver:

The 2019 G70 represents the freshman effort to disrupt the entry-luxury class by Hyundai's upscale Genesis subsidiary, which also builds the larger G80 sedan and the even larger G90. While this all-new sports sedan shares a platform with the Kia Stinger, it's marketed toward a different clientele. The G70 is an important step for Genesis to firmly establish its credibility versus the world's premier luxury automakers (see BMW and Audi, for starters).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

I had an air-oil separator installed at 30k, since these direct injection engines no longer have gas washing the intake ports, and can become loaded with carbon by 60k, requiring an expensive decarbonizing with soda blast or walnut shells.  I reckon 60k is a good time to trade-in, as it should still have pretty good value, after I take care of some minor paint repairs.

My mechanic at a local gas station has bought a lot of Suby's with blown motors and swapped them out and resold.  I think a lot of young guys probably beat the snot out of them. I rarely get anywhere near red line, it is not necessary.  But, I am thinking 365 ponies will be a lot more fun than 268!!

Mine horizontally-exploded because it's an interference engine. It seems to put a lot of strain on the timing belt, I assume due to the counterbalance, and my Imprezza rippd through the timing belt, and then bent the Imprezza valves into Impretzel valves. Subaru loves that engine though, and it has its advantages, the torque comes on beautifully as low revs, which does great in the snow, without needing all that computerized correction like BMW. And it's tiny in the engine bay, so they can make short hoods, cab-forward, .legroom for long-legged Lesbians, and non-Lesbians alike.

It's an amazing vehicle, I guess if I were to buy a gift for a loved one, and made that gift a car, I would consider a Subaru. As long as the engine doesn't horizontally explode on ya, then it is the most reliable way to get a loved one through the snow and rain. They seem to hold up pretty well in accidents too, I assume that Fuji Heavy Industries summoning up the ghosts of those very well made Japanese war ships from WWII. I don't know the real connection to that, but the link is really obvious in a Subaru. It's welded correctly, the beads are well-formed, I assume it makes a strong car in an accident. But supposedly Subarus are one of the most at-fault cars in accidents, I can only assume that's because they're popular with the young folks, and those young fuggers tend to fiddle with their car stereos, chat on the phone, swipe around on Spotify and YouTube while they drive. They think that if they're not actually texting anyone, that they're good. But finding some some song that they heard in da club while they're on their way home from the oxygen bar, can be even worse than Uncle Huck driving home from the Kansas City Athletics game with no less than 16 stadium cups of Stoh's in his system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mikewof said:

And it's tiny in the engine bay, so they can make short hoods, cab-forward, .legroom for long-legged Lesbians, and non-Lesbians alike.

Mickey, what our we gonig to do withr peopel licke you?                             :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

 Looks like $46,000 with AWD and larger engine.  Worth a looksee, thanks!!!  Does it have paddle shifters?

 
How Much Does the Genesis G70 Cost? Prices for the 2019 G70 start around $35,000, which is lower than average for a luxury small car. You can add all-wheel drive for $2,000, a manual transmission for $3,000, and a larger engine for about $8,900.Aug 1, 2019
Interior: 8.3
Critics' Rating: 8.7

I believe it does.  

Its on the shortlist for a new car in 2021along with BMW 3, 4 or 5,  the Tesla 3.  I assume the Audi E-Tron GT is gong to be priced out of my budget (60k max)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

Mickey, what our we gonig to do withr peopel licke you?                             :)

Apologies, I am an apt-abled American male, and as such, I tend to strongly identify with anyone -- regardless or gender -- who would drink Sonia Braga's bathwater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mikewof said:

. And it's tiny in the engine bay, so they can make short hoods, cab-forward, .legroom for long-legged Lesbians, and non-Lesbians alike

 

I bought brand new summer tires for the WRX from an English bloke who took them off his brand new car to put all weather tires on instead.  Sold them to me for $100 each when they are over $300 each mounted and balanced at the stealership!   He told me that originally Subarus were very popular with lesbians, and I had no idea of that!  Then when Saab and Volvo stopped bringing their cars in, many of those drivers switched to Subys....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stinger is a ton of fun for the price. It really is a bargain M3. Similar in so many ways except for one obvious one, materials. Cheap fake leather, not terrible but not great plastics, etc. None of that is meant as a bad thing. The cost savings have to come from somewhere. My friend’s is RWD, not AWD. The last time we were both doing the same track day at Road America we swapped cars for a few laps. Completely different feel than mine, but both of us had shit eating grins when we got out of the other’s car. That car was fun. 

He’s had no reliability issues so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The Stinger is a ton of fun for the price. It really is a bargain M3. Similar in so many ways except for one obvious one, materials. Cheap fake leather, not terrible but not great plastics, etc. None of that is meant as a bad thing. The cost savings have to come from somewhere. My friend’s is RWD, not AWD. The last time we were both doing the same track day at Road America we swapped cars for a few laps. Completely different feel than mine, but both of us had shit eating grins when we got out of the other’s car. That car was fun. 

He’s had no reliability issues so far. 

 

I will check out the Stinger, but the G70 is sounding more my style, having been a happy Bimmer owner for many years, before the recession.  Monkey, what is your car that you were swapping laps in on your track day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mikewof said:

legroom for long-legged Lesbians, and non-Lesbians alike.

Around here the standard joke is that to be a real Subaru driver you have to vape.

Funny thing is that I know of three Subaru drivers at my place of work, including myself and all three of us also vape, so maybe there is something to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I had an air-oil separator installed at 30k, since these direct injection engines no longer have gas washing the intake ports, and can become loaded with carbon by 60k, requiring an expensive decarbonizing with soda blast or walnut shells.

 

What year is your Subaru? I thought Subaru was only just starting with Direct injection.

I got quite concerned about this with my Toyota.

Research lead me to believe that this is really only an issue with cars that do lots of short runs and do enough highway miles, basically people who should have gone a bought a Corolla because that's all they need.  I never worried about it with my Toyota after I worked that out.

Now I have a Subaru so I get to worry about head gaskets and CVT's blowing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 1:45 AM, floating dutchman said:

 

What year is your Subaru? I thought Subaru was only just starting with Direct injection.

I got quite concerned about this with my Toyota.

Research lead me to believe that this is really only an issue with cars that do lots of short runs and do enough highway miles, basically people who should have gone a bought a Corolla because that's all they need.  I never worried about it with my Toyota after I worked that out.

Now I have a Subaru so I get to worry about head gaskets and CVT's blowing up.

 

It's a 2017 WRX, and I do 20k miles a year between 25 mile RT to work 5 days a week, and also driving to rental condos from 25 to 50 miles from home.  The dealers will not admit thisis an issue, but an internet search finds a lot of compelling evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

 

It's a 2017 WRX, and I do 20k miles a year between 25 mile RT to work 5 days a week, and also driving to rental condos from 25 to 50 miles from home.  The dealers will not admit thisis an issue, but an internet search finds a lot of compelling evidence.

I really wouldn't worry about it with the miles that you do.

With a similar car to mine (same engine) Toyota issued an extended warranty for any car up to 9 years old, and as good will unlimited miles.  Toyota knew darn well that they would not be rebuilding high mileage cars for customers.

Id be interested to see if many high mileage WRX's have the carboning up issue or if it's mainly low mileage cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know, the 2.0 in the regular wrx is a pile.  Probably why they kept the 2.5 in the STI.  They lost me when the dumped the wagon.

Mine uses oil.  I'm told it's likely a faulty pcv valve.  

 

I don't understand paddle shifting.  All the pain in the ass of a manual, no benefit of having a clutch, which if you get snow or have ice is a godsend.  Which a wrx is useless past about 4" unless you really like buying plastic body parts

Racetrack, sure.  Full throttle shifts with essentially zero lag or the turbo falling off.  I see the point.

It's likely an automatic transmission in most anything less than six figures anyways isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Sorry pal - I switched gears on ya - the Kia Hamsters were a theme on Kia commercials a few years ago.  

 

I wasn't involved in that commercial but was in this one.
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

I really wouldn't worry about it with the miles that you do.

With a similar car to mine (same engine) Toyota issued an extended warranty for any car up to 9 years old, and as good will unlimited miles.  Toyota knew darn well that they would not be rebuilding high mileage cars for customers.

Id be interested to see if many high mileage WRX's have the carboning up issue or if it's mainly low mileage cars.

 

Toyota and a few others added an injector back into the intake ports, in addition to the direct injection.  This "washes" the inlet plumbing, so carbon does not build up as bad, as with direct injection only.  One of the mechanics at work used to work for a Lexus or some other Japanese higher end brand, and he said they had a lot cars with carbon in the heads, that had to be soda blasted, or blasted with walnut shells.  Not an inexpensive job!!!  Supposedly the air-oil separator I had installed, takes any atomized oil coming from the PVC system and directs it into the crankcase, instead of the inlet ports, as the stock engines come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

I wasn't involved in that commercial but was in this one.
 

 

 

I detest commercials, so I miss out on all that funny stuff.  Thank God for DVR's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

I don't understand paddle shifting.  All the pain in the ass of a manual, no benefit of having a clutch, which if you get snow or have ice is a godsend.  Which a wrx is useless past about 4" unless you really like buying plastic body parts

 

I bought 4 General Altimax Arctic tires on steel wheels from a guy who finally swapped his summer tires, for all-season, on his 2 year old WRX, and 4" of snow is no problem at all.  They go on in December until March, and it saves some mileage wear on the high performance summer tires.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

It's likely an automatic transmission in most anything less than six figures anyways isn't it?

DGS VW gearbox has been (so far) the best I have owned.  Smooth as.

Didn't cost six figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Toyota and a few others added an injector back into the intake ports, in addition to the direct injection.  This "washes" the inlet plumbing, so carbon does not build up as bad, as with direct injection only.  One of the mechanics at work used to work for a Lexus or some other Japanese higher end brand, and he said they had a lot cars with carbon in the heads, that had to be soda blasted, or blasted with walnut shells.  Not an inexpensive job!!!  Supposedly the air-oil separator I had installed, takes any atomized oil coming from the PVC system and directs it into the crankcase, instead of the inlet ports, as the stock engines come.

My car is a first generation Mark X with the 3.0 engine, in the second generation Mark X they dropped the 3.0 for a 3.5 with the dual injectors, an expensive but good solution.  The 3.5 adds around 60 Hp without increasing fuel consumption and no carbon buildup.  For what the car is, I thought the 3.0 was reasonably good on gas.

The Lexus IS 250 is the same engine as my Mark X (just different bore and stroke)  and there is lots of info on the web regarding the intake valve issue, and a lot of the cause points to low mileage cars that do lots of short runs.  Manufactures doesn't want to blame customers for not using the car correctly and Lexus owners don't admit to buying and expensive and only using for the school run and going to the shops.

I still say you will be fine with the way you use your car.  But, I'm just a random fell on the internet that doesn't even claim to be a mechanic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B M W

Bring More Wampum!!  Sounds like the G70 Genesis is 95% as good as an M3, for a lot less dough!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 4:31 PM, billy backstay said:

 

I bought 4 General Altimax Arctic tires on steel wheels from a guy who finally swapped his summer tires, for all-season, on his 2 year old WRX, and 4" of snow is no problem at all.  They go on in December until March, and it saves some mileage wear on the high performance summer tires.  

I'm running on a snow tire too in the winter.  The car just wasn't made for cold or snow.  All of the plastic in the front of my car is fucked from ice and snow.  The front fascia from pushing, fender wells and miscellaneous shrouds just from getting packed full.  The damage would likely be less if I could park inside and thaw it out every day.  Much more than 4", I take the pickup to slow the degradation of all the plastic.  It'll puke through a shit load of snow bouncing off the rev limiter in third, but it comes at a cost.

The other thing the folks at Subaru dicked the dog on is the defrost,  the hood is sealed so heat from the engine bay doesn't wash over the windshield, which is fine.  But when it's cold, and snowing, it's a muthafucka to keep the windshield clean.  

 

Waxing and polishing the inside surface of the wheels really helps with snow/ice build up.  I was going to make some sweepers and mount them to the calipers, but tried waxing first.  It doesn't stop build up, but it helps release for sure.  I wanted to put a set out 15" wheels on mine for snow tires, but I don't think the front brakes will clear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 4:32 PM, random said:

DGS VW gearbox has been (so far) the best I have owned.  Smooth as.

Didn't cost six figures.

Most anything I think is what I wrote.  I would think yours would be in the minority.

 

Most things with paddles for normal people's budget is a torque converter automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, billy backstay said:

B M W

Bring More Wampum!!  Sounds like the G70 Genesis is 95% as good as an M3, for a lot less dough!!

Let’s not get carried away. It’s 95% as good as the new 340 (But cheaper).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Billy, from what I've seen, the Stinger is a better pick than the G70.

Check Doug DeMuros reviews on both.

Frankly, I don't trust the Germans anymore since  they bombed Pearl Harbor 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dorado said:

Billy, from what I've seen, the Stinger is a better pick than the G70.

Check Doug DeMuros reviews on both.

Frankly, I don't trust the Germans anymore since  they bombed Pearl Harbor 

2019 Genesis G70 vs. 2018 Kia Stinger Comparison | Space vs. grace

We put our long-term Stinger up against its platform-mate

john-beltz-snyder.jpg
Apr 15th 2019 at 11:30AM
  • 9comments
  • The Genesis G70 is an impressive foot forward by Hyundai's luxury brand. It's elegant, fresh and athletic, earning praise and accolades from the automotive world far and wide. It won North American Car of the Year just months after the Genesis brand was listed atop the J.D. Power survey of overall initial quality. When I first drove the G70, I found it to be solid and enjoyable driving both on the road and at the track.

    The Genesis G70 borrows a lot from the Kia Stinger, including a version of its platform and a pair of powertrains, though the 2.0T can be had with a manual transmission in the Genesis. I've had the opportunity to spend a good amount of time in Autoblog's long-term Kia Stinger GT1 AWD. When we got a Genesis G70 AWD 3.3T at the office, I finally had the opportunity to drive the two cars back to back. While the driving experience feels fairly similar — especially in the way they both put the V6's 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque to the ground through all four wheels via an eight-speed transmission — this more immediate comparison brought their differences into starker contrast.

    The first thing that jumped out when I got in the G70 this time around was the supreme level of quality enjoyed in essentially every aspect of the Genesis. Its exterior design is striking in person. I've received a fair share of admiring comments in parking lots and gas stations with the Stinger, and I don't disagree that it's a hot-looking number, probably sportier looking than the smaller Genesis, even. But the G70 just does more to catch my eye and keep it there, from the big mesh grille, to its chrome accents and tidy but fit proportions. The Stinger's fastback profile is emotional, but the G70 is more elegant.

    This is amplified inside the vehicle. As soon as you open the door to the Prestige version of the G70, you're treated to an interior full of beautiful quilted Nappa leather. There's more visual and literal texture throughout the cabin, and the materials feel higher in quality than the Kia's. Even the headliner in our tester was pleasing to the eyes and fingertips, thanks to the inclusion of suede microfiber as part of the Prestige package. There's a bit more structure to the center stack, and a layout that is just slightly more intuitive than that of the Stinger.

    What the Kia's interior gives up in artfulness and decadence, it makes up for in sheer volume behind the front seats. It's still a lovely place to spend time in terms of design, but the big draws are the extra two inches of rear legroom, and the 23 cubic feet of cargo space, compared to 10 in the G70, more if you fold the Stinger's seats down. Plus, that spiffy red leather interior that's in our long-term Stinger is much loved among many, including other members of the Autoblog staff.

    As far as ride, the Genesis isn't exactly smoother than the Stinger, at least not through the suspension, which is more isolating in the Kia. The G70 definitely feels calmer and more confident, however. It also feels lighter and nimbler. While I absolutely love the feeling of setting up for a corner in the Stinger with a hard dab of brakes, then feeling it roll into the turn, the G70 is much more competent at stringing those corners together. The Stinger is more willing to open up its soundtrack to the cabin and the world, though, and I welcome that beautiful V6 voice.

    The G70 is more willing to rotate, and it tucks itself in and fights roll in the corners. Its response to steering and throttle inputs feel sharper, which is more rewarding to me. It also feels significantly more composed and willing to dance at higher speeds. It's easier to build confidence and feel heroic in the smaller Genesis, which matters more to me than a smooth ride — though the G70's ride is still pretty damn smooth.

    So how do the two cars compare in price? Our 2018 Stinger GT1 AWD, whose sole options are a $125 red interior (now no longer offered with the red exterior), $50 cargo net and $95 cargo tray, totals $46,620. The 2019 G70 AWD 3.3T starts at $46,746, and our tester's Prestige package brings that total to $50,995. When configured with similar equipment, they're priced very closely to one another. Despite feeling more expensive, a top-of the line G70 ($52,495) is actually cheaper than the all-boxes-checked Stinger ($53,395).

    If I had to pick between the two, the only reason I, personally, would choose the Stinger over the G70 would be if I regularly had to put an adult in the rear seat. With that extra room and larger cargo area underneath its hatch, the Stinger is the better grand tourer. All things considered, I'd much rather have the sharper handling, more involving and far more luxurious G70. Who cares if the occasional rear passenger is short on legroom in the G70? I suppose, to make it up to them, I could use the $900 I saved by picking the Genesis over the Kia to keep the car stocked with complimentary $10 bills. Or, better yet, give the passenger a turn behind the wheel. They'd probably fall for the G70, too.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Motor Trend article....

2019 Genesis G70 vs. 2018 Kia Stinger: What’s the Difference?

Distinguishing between the two corporate cousins

It's no secret that the 2018 Kia Stinger GT and the 2019 Genesis G70 share the same platform that's an evolution of the one found in the current-generation Genesis G80. Both cars share the same engine lineup, a base 2.0-liter turbo-four with 255 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque or a 3.3-liter twin-turbo V-6 with 365 hp and 376 lb-ft. There's also an adaptive suspension system, a drive mode selector with a custom setting, and Brembo brakes on the V-6-powered variants. An eight-speed automatic transmission is shared between both cars.

Albert Biermann, Hyundai Motor Group Executive Vice President of vehicle test and high performance development, declined to discuss the differences between the two at the Genesis G70's global launch in Korea, so we never got an answer. Until now, that is. Motor Trend has now driven both the Stinger GT and the G70, and we've found what distinguishes the smaller compact Genesis sedan from the larger Kia fastback with four doors and a hatch. Ride comfort is a key difference between the two vehicles. Being a larger, heavier grand tourer, the 2018 Kia Stinger GT has a more compliant suspension all around. Sport mode does stiffen things up, but that doesn't come at the cost of ride comfort because the Stinger's ride remains surprisingly smooth even on rough pavement. The 2019 Genesis G70, on the other hand, is tighter and more buttoned down, but its ride is also stiffer and a little less compliant. The electronically controlled suspension on the G70 is more aggressive in Sport mode, meaning you'll feel the road more.

Get both the Stinger GT and the G70 on a winding mountain road, and you'll find more differences between the two cars. The Stinger GT drives as big as it looks, and its curb weight of around 4,000 pounds means its reflexes aren't as sharp as the G70. That doesn't mean it's sloppy. The Stinger GT handles well for its size and manages to not feel like a lumbering behemoth. Hop into the G70, and you'll notice that its smaller size and shorter wheelbase make it livelier through the corners even in its heaviest form with all-wheel drive. It handles as you'd expect of a compact sport sedan to, meaning it's sharp, agile, and right at home in the twisties, especially when everything is in Sport mode. There's less understeer in the G70, meaning it's easier to rotate through the corners or get it to drift. On both the Stinger GT and the G70, steering feel is much improved compared to previous vehicles from Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis. They both feel better, but not the same. The Stinger GT offers precise steering, but it's lighter and a little more isolated, especially outside of Sport mode—giving it the feel of a proper long-distance GT car. Put it in Sport mode, and it does add weight but not to the point that it's overly heavy or extremely touchy. The G70's steering, on the other hand, is quicker, more precise, and has superior weighting in Sport mode than the Stinger GT. It also reacts quicker to your inputs, which is especially helpful when you're having a good time on winding roads.

 

Where the Stinger GT separates itself as a grand tourer is in its body control. There's more body roll on the Stinger GT, and it's immediately noticeable on winding roads where the body smoothly transitions side to side. Hop into the G70, and you'll immediately notice that it's more planted, there is less body roll when going through corners, and it feels buttoned down through the turns, giving the driver a better sense of control from behind the wheel. Size and weight are the most obvious differentiators between the Kia Stinger GT and the Genesis G70. At around 4,000 pounds, the Stinger is long and heavy, and it feels it on the road. Sure it's nimble for its size, but its weight keeps it from being as lively as the G70. We've yet to weigh a U.S.-spec G70, but the model we drove recently in Korea checks in below 4,000 pounds even with all-wheel drive. The weight difference and the fact that it's 2.8 inches shorter make the G70 feel livelier, especially in its most aggressive mode. Its tidier dimensions help it "shrink" when you're behind the wheel, making it easy to place on the road.

 

Other than the obvious differences in size, weight, and looks, chassis and suspension tuning distinguish the 2018 Kia Stinger GT and the 2019 Genesis G70. Although they share the same platform and powertrain choices, save for the six-speed manual option that's exclusive to the four-cylinder G70, both cars behave differently on the road and are tuned for different tastes. Those looking for a fun compact luxury sport sedan should choose the G70, and buyers in search of a comfortable grand tourer that manages to offer great handling for its size and have a massive cargo area will be better served by the Stinger GT.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CarGurus:

Kia Stinger vs Genesis G70Compare price, expert/user reviews, mpg, engines, safety, cargo capacity and other specs at a glance.

 

New Car PricingNew listing price comparison and analysis.

2019 Kia Stinger
2.0L AWD
MSRP
$35,190
Invoice
$33,008
Average Price Paid
$32,981
73 listings nationwide

Shop

2019 Genesis G70
2.0T AWD
MSRP
$36,900
Invoice
$35,273
Average Price Paid
$35,620
127 listings nationwide

Specs

 
2019 Kia Stinger
2.0L AWD
2019 Genesis G70
2.0T AWD
Powertrain 8-Speed Automatic 8-Speed Automatic  
Drivetrain
AWD
AWD
 
Fuel Economy, City
--
21 MPG
 
Fuel Economy, Highway
--
28 MPG
 
Fuel Tank Volume 15.9 gal 15.8 gal  
Engine      
Fuel Type
Gasoline
Gasoline
 
Power
255 hp @ 6,200 RPM
252 hp @ 6,200 RPM
 
Torque
260 lb-ft @ 1,400 RPM
260 lb-ft @ 1,400 RPM
 
Cylinders
4 cylinders
4 cylinders
 
Compression Ratio
10:1
10:1
 
Displacement
2,000 cc
2,000 cc
 
Bore x Stroke
3.39 in x 3.39 in
3.39 in x 3.39 in
 
Safety
ABS Brakes Standard Standard  
Driver Airbag Standard Standard  
Passenger Airbag Standard Standard  
Front Side Airbags Standard Standard  
Curtain Airbags Standard Standard  
NHTSA Crash Test Results
Comfort and Convenience
Leather Seats Standard --  
Air Conditioning Standard Standard  
Radio Standard Standard  
Power Windows Standard Standard  
Power Door Locks Standard Standard  
Driver Power Seats Standard Standard  
Passenger Power Seats Standard Standard  
Interior
Maximum Seating 5 seats 5 seats  
Front Legroom 42.6 in 42.6 in  
Back Legroom 36.4 in 34.8 in  
Payload and Towing
Cargo Volume 23.3 cu ft 10.5 cu ft  
Maximum Payload -- 1,155 lbs  
Exterior
Length 190.2 in 184.4 in  
Width 73.6 in 72.8 in  
Height 55.1 in 55.1 in  
Wheelbase 114.4 in 111.6 in  

Available Options

2019 Kia Stinger
2.0L AWD

EXTERIOR COLORS

  • Aurora Black
  • Hichroma Red
  • Micro Blue
  • Panthera Metal
  • Snow White Pearl

OPTION PACKAGES

  • Sun & Sound Package 
  • Sun & Sound Package 
2019 Genesis G70
2.0T AWD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asbury Auto Group.....

 

Safety

Both the G70 and the Stinger have standard driver and passenger frontal airbags, front side-impact airbags, driver knee airbags, side-impact head airbags, front seatbelt pretensioners, height adjustable front shoulder belts, four-wheel antilock brakes, traction control, electronic stability systems to prevent skidding, daytime running lights, blind spot warning systems, rearview cameras, available all wheel drive and around view monitors.

Warranty

The G70’s corrosion warranty is 2 years and unlimited miles longer than the Stinger’s (7/unlimited vs. 5/100,000).

Genesis pays for scheduled maintenance on the G70 for 3 years and 36,000 miles. Genesis will pay for oil changes, lubrication and any other required maintenance. Kia doesn’t pay scheduled maintenance for the Stinger.

Reliability

J.D. Power and Associates’ 2018 Initial Quality Study of new car owners surveyed provide the statistics that show that Genesis vehicles are better in initial quality than Kia vehicles. J.D. Power ranks Genesis first in initial quality, above the industry average. With 4 more problems per 100 vehicles, Kia is ranked second.

Fuel Economy and Range

On the EPA test cycle the G70 2.0T RWD gets better fuel mileage than the Stinger 2.0L RWD (22 city/30 hwy vs. 22 city/29 hwy).

Transmission

The G70 offers a manual transmission for better acceleration, control and sportiness. The Stinger doesn’t offer a manual transmission.

Brakes and Stopping

The G70’s standard front and rear disc brakes are vented to help dissipate heat for shorter stops with less fading. The rear discs standard on the Stinger 2.0L are solid, not vented.

The G70 stops much shorter than the Stinger:

 

G70

Stinger

 

70 to 0 MPH

164 feet

182 feet

Car and Driver

Suspension and Handling

The G70 Dynamic handles at .95 G’s, while the Stinger Premium AWD pulls only .88 G’s of cornering force in a Car and Driver skidpad test.

For better maneuverability, the G70’s turning circle is .6 feet tighter than the Stinger’s (36.1 feet vs. 36.7 feet). The G70 AWD’s turning circle is 1 foot tighter than the Stinger AWD’s (37.4 feet vs. 38.4 feet).

Chassis

The G70 is 5.8 inches shorter than the Stinger, making the G70 easier to handle, maneuver and park in tight spaces.

The design of the Genesis G70 amounts to more than styling. The G70 has an aerodynamic coefficient of drag of .28 Cd. That is lower than the Stinger (.3) and many sports cars. A more efficient exterior helps keep the interior quieter and helps the G70 get better fuel mileage.

As tested by Car and Driver, the interior of the G70 Dynamic is quieter than the Stinger GT2:

 

G70

Stinger

At idle

37 dB

39 dB

Full-Throttle

77 dB

84 dB

70 MPH Cruising

65 dB

71 dB

Ergonomics

The G70 has a standard remote vehicle starting system, so the vehicle can be started from inside the driver's house. This allows the driver to comfortably warm up the engine before going out to the vehicle. The climate system will also automatically heat or cool the interior. The Stinger doesn’t offer a remote starting system.

The G70’s front and rear power windows all open or close fully with one touch of the switches, making it more convenient at drive-up windows and toll booths, or when talking with someone outside the car. The Stinger’s rear power window switches have to be held the entire time to open or close them fully.

© 1991-2018 Advanta-STAR Automotive Research. All rights reserved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 4:34 PM, billy backstay said:

 

I will check out the Stinger, but the G70 is sounding more my style, having been a happy Bimmer owner for many years, before the recession.  Monkey, what is your car that you were swapping laps in on your track day?

Sorry, I just realized I must’ve hit whatever hide post button exists. No idea how to undo it. My toy is a very built up Ford Fiesta ST. It’s the opposite of the Stinger. I can’t compete on the straights, but but the corners are hilarious!  It helps I view it as a disposable car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Monkey said:

Sorry, I just realized I must’ve hit whatever hide post button exists. No idea how to undo it. My toy is a very built up Ford Fiesta ST. It’s the opposite of the Stinger. I can’t compete on the straights, but but the corners are hilarious!  It helps I view it as a disposable car. 

 

Fiesta's do handle quite well!  For about 10 years I was importing and reselling classic Austin, Morris and BMC Mini Coopers.  Love to watch the historic races where they go around the big block Corvettes in the corners, only to be passed by them on the straightaways!  I had a '72 Morris Cooper S, Mk III, that was a high performance resto-mod that I had bespoke finished in the UK, with leather interior, 9 clock burr walnut dash with Smith magnolia gauges.  5 speed aftermarket gearbox, tuned suspension, and I was 3rd fastest in my class in Solo 1 laps at Blackhawk race track outside of Chicago, at Mini Meet East Meets West, around 15 years ago, IIRC.  I would have kept that car forever, but for the recession, and our kids college tuition payments.  Good times!  I imported 3 or 4 from the UK, one from OZ, and a bunch more from Canada...  One was a Cooper S MkI Rallye Replica, that I sold to Wayne Carini, before he became famous on "Chasing Classic Cars".  I don't think he made any money on that one, as it had some serious issues.  Fast forward 15 years, and I see the exact same car in a driveway on Sullivans Island, in greater Charleston, SC, about an 8th of a mile from our Son-In Laws family home there, overlooking Fort Sumter.  YCMTSU!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drive a Golf R and love it!! A woman I'm dating a has a Subi and I had to borrow that to launch my boat since my truck was broke. It does really well!!IMG_0194.thumb.jpg.c693677a3240387449532cb9b65218ef.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Fiesta's do handle quite well!  For about 10 years I was importing and reselling classic Austin, Morris and BMC Mini Coopers.  Love to watch the historic races where they go around the big block Corvettes in the corners, only to be passed by them on the straightaways!  I had a '72 Morris Cooper S, Mk III, that was a high performance resto-mod that I had bespoke finished in the UK, with leather interior, 9 clock burr walnut dash with Smith magnolia gauges.  5 speed aftermarket gearbox, tuned suspension, and I was 3rd fastest in my class in Solo 1 laps at Blackhawk race track outside of Chicago, at Mini Meet East Meets West, around 15 years ago, IIRC.  I would have kept that car forever, but for the recession, and our kids college tuition payments.  Good times!  I imported 3 or 4 from the UK, one from OZ, and a bunch more from Canada...  One was a Cooper S MkI Rallye Replica, that I sold to Wayne Carini, before he became famous on "Chasing Classic Cars".  I don't think he made any money on that one, as it had some serious issues.  Fast forward 15 years, and I see the exact same car in a driveway on Sullivans Island, in greater Charleston, SC, about an 8th of a mile from our Son-In Laws family home there, overlooking Fort Sumter.  YCMTSU!

I love those old Mini’s. They’re basically the grandparents of my car. Little, light, and quick!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveK said:

This is my little animal..... :)

IMG_5192.JPG.aa1c92c64ca3c8fc48f9d16fa720c979.JPG

That car was near the top of the very short list I was down to when I was car shopping. I just couldn’t justify the cost because I put 25K miles a year on commuting. I needed cheap maintenance and no concern about depreciation. It was down to your car, my car, and the Focus RS. Your car beat the RS because it still looks like a grown up car. My car beat your’s because it was just less financially stupid for my situation. 
 

Most days I have no regrets. Much like the Mini’s Billy had, it’s just plain silly fun. It’s amazing how big and cumbersome an average car feels now. 
 

And of course, my little car doesn’t take any shit from other crappy econoboxes!

F46479CD-D16C-4644-948D-924D7E9C4FA7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

That car was near the top of the very short list I was down to when I was car shopping. I just couldn’t justify the cost because I put 25K miles a year on commuting. I needed cheap maintenance and no concern about depreciation. It was down to your car, my car, and the Focus RS. Your car beat the RS because it still looks like a grown up car. My car beat your’s because it was just less financially stupid for my situation. 
 

Most days I have no regrets. Much like the Mini’s Billy had, it’s just plain silly fun. It’s amazing how big and cumbersome an average car feels now. 
 

And of course, my little car doesn’t take any shit from other crappy econoboxes!

F46479CD-D16C-4644-948D-924D7E9C4FA7.jpeg

Wtf happened there?????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Wtf happened there?????

 

That was my thought!!!  I was enjoying a Sunday Funday having bloody Marie’s with friends.  I was responsible and left my car parked in front of my house. An old lady had heart issues and clobbered my car. My car won!  It truly helped that I was a bit jagged when I got home to my car being in my yard. Drunk me was pretty cool with everyone. Sober me was just plain furious the next day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DaveK said:

I drive a Golf R and love it!! A woman I'm dating a has a Subi and I had to borrow that to launch my boat since my truck was broke. It does really well!!IMG_0194.thumb.jpg.c693677a3240387449532cb9b65218ef.jpg

 

How much does that trailer and boat weigh?  I had a Crosstrek for a year and a half, before I traded up to the WRX, and IIRC, the towing capacity of the Crosstrek was not very much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this