JBOATTROUBLEMAKER

Hobie 16 mast huge failure

I recently purchased a 1987 Hobie 16. In the process of raising the mast, as soon as it clicked into the foot a huge cracking Noise followed as the foot of the mast failed causing the whole thing to topple over nearly killing everyone evolved and the Cadillac Escalade it was hitched to. Does anyone know how I might reattach this piece.

What failed? Was it the mast base itself, the pivot, or the base of the extrusion?

Call Murray's and get proper replacement parts... you'll likely need a new mast base, appropriate grade rivets, and rivet covers.

You might want to get an actual Hobie cat sailor to look at what you are doing.  Its amazing what experience does for these simple problems. BTW: if you seal the rivets all over this mast with silicone glue or 4200 sealant, the boat will not turtle when you capsize.  Having your mast fill with water means it cannot be righted by 2 people as usual.  Also insspect the connectors- Stainless steel pins and good ringy-dingies.  The rudders will probably not lock down properly, due to their rudder cams being worn or broken: obtain new rudder cam pins that screw together, so as to replace them easily.  I invented and sold these pins, later stolen by Murrays for the last 40 years.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

I recently purchased a 1987 Hobie 16. In the process of raising the mast, as soon as it clicked into the foot a huge cracking Noise followed as the foot of the mast failed causing the whole thing to topple over nearly killing everyone evolved and the Cadillac Escalade it was hitched to. Does anyone know how I might reattach this piece.

https://westcoastsailing.net/hobie-16-mast-base/

$69.99

20640011__90256.1533270385.jpg

interested to hear exactly what happened.  I've seen people try and raise masts with a screwdriver through the lug shown in the photo above and the matching tangs on the step.  Because it is shit cast aluminium, you can crack it by hand and there is no way to control what way that crack propagates.  if you're pining the step you need one of these: 

01-3021_2.jpg

01-3021_use.jpg

I would not have thought raising the mast while attached to the car is a good idea either.

With my Maricat 14ft beachie I put it 9n the ground and move the trailer right out of the way before raising the mast.

4 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

interested to hear exactly what happened.  I've seen people try and raise masts with a screwdriver through the lug shown in the photo above and the matching tangs on the step.  Because it is shit cast aluminium, you can crack it by hand and there is no way to control what way that crack propagates.  if you're pining the step you need one of these: 

01-3021_2.jpg

01-3021_use.jpg

I need one of these.

4 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Na, just take a tough pill.

I raised the mast last Xmas... I think a D shackle and a twist shackle did the trick

I grew up sailing Hobies in the 80s and early 90s.  I don't remember anyone using hinges until everyone switched to the Hobie 17 and 18.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, knobblyoldjimbo said:

I would not have thought raising the mast while attached to the car is a good idea either.

With my Maricat 14ft beachie I put it 9n the ground and move the trailer right out of the way before raising the mast.

I have sailed beachcats for 20 years now - currently own 2, sail over 100 days a year for the past 12 years or so...

May work for you but I am not putting my hulls on the sand just to step a mast , that would be extra steps and a chance to scratch up (or worse) my hulls. 
 boat goes from the trailer to the beach wheels (with chocks to avoid scuffs on my hulls) into the pond

you definitely want   need to be attached to your car when stepping / lowering a bigger mast (28' or so) or your entire boat/trailer has a good chance of surfing as the trailer tongue goes skyward

16 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

01-3021_2.jpg

01-3021_use.jpg

These are awesome for raising the mast single handed. Not awesome is when a pin slips out with the mast halfway up... I know from experience. ;) 

Is this common? Cus' at our club we have still have a hobie cat that dismasted almost a kilometre offshore without explanation, calm-ish seas as well. 

1 hour ago, Raptorsailor said:

Is this common? Cus' at our club we have still have a hobie cat that dismasted almost a kilometre offshore without explanation, calm-ish seas as well. 

step hinges break during use - on hobie's they are disconnected after stepping (they prevent the mast from rotating) 

much more likely a fitting, swage or stay failed 

Hobie rigging wire is 1 x 19 cable. Hobie assembles their stock rigging using only ONE nico press sleeve per end. Nic Press's tech spec's require TWO sleeves per end for full strength. And, IIRC, they hide the cut end of the cable inside the sleeve, a double error again. Shorter grip length & creates a shear edge against the standing part.,

9 hours ago, longy said:

Hobie rigging wire is 1 x 19 cable. Hobie assembles their stock rigging using only ONE nico press sleeve per end. Nic Press's tech spec's require TWO sleeves per end for full strength. And, IIRC, they hide the cut end of the cable inside the sleeve, a double error again. Shorter grip length & creates a shear edge against the standing part.,

Don't know about the good ol' US of A but here in Australia stock Hobie rigging all has two swages per end and has done for a long time.

That statement was true in the late 70's when I worked at a rigging shop & sailed beach cats. Don't know how long it remained true for Hobie supplied equipment. Our sets of Hobie replacement rigging had 2 sleeves per end throughout, and we were questioned on this repeatedly.

You can tie a safety line from the mast base to the beam and have the crew hold the mast base in or against the socket as the mast is raised.  That's how we did it when 16's first came out, long before that hinge was developed.

• Like 1