Jubblies

Tuff Luff Aero vs. Harken Carbo

We had a little chunk of track break off of our aged Tuff Luff foil a few weeks ago. I'm leaving it for now as there is only about a month left in our season, however my motto has always been if it's old and it breaks, replace the system not just the part. The new file will go on my spring list! So before I order a new system, any feedback, pros & cons on Tuff Luff Aero vs. Harken Carbo?

Harken carbo is lighter and less $$. don't spray mcLube on it, either for the install or use 

I've only heard bad things about harken foils, even from harken guys. Apparently they are significantly more brittle and more prone to breaking

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 7:39 PM, ctutmark said:

Harken carbo is lighter and less $$. don't spray mcLube on it, either for the install or use 

Not sure about Harken, but the G-Foil extrusions can take wipe-in mclube, but NOT the spray. Apparently the aerosol kills the plastic.

HW

8 minutes ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Not sure about Harken, but the G-Foil extrusions can take wipe-in mclube, but NOT the spray. Apparently the aerosol kills the plastic.

HW

Agreed that it may be the propellant that hurts the plastic not the actual McLube itself. 

I was pretty dissatisfied with our Tuff Luff...  And used a luff foil from HeadFoil - http://headfoil.com/

Their website is not great...  But I can tell you that the product is great.  HeadFoil2 is cheaper.  The fittings are much better.  It is easier to put on and so far it lasted much longer.

I'd give Rolf a call before you make your decision.....

13 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Not sure I'm familiar with G-Foil?

4 minutes ago, Jubblies said:

Not sure I'm familiar with G-Foil?

Headfoil from Gorilla Rigging (Newport, USA) that has been adopted by many of the 52's and other GP teams. Essentially replaces the front 1/3 of the extrusion with cloth, and cuts alot of weight out. Not sure who manufactures the extrusion but it may be the same plastic as Harken.

HW

16 minutes ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Headfoil from Gorilla Rigging (Newport, USA)

Yea, I remember reading about these. If they made one for a #5, I would be in 100%

On 8/27/2019 at 8:02 AM, Jubblies said:

Yea, I remember reading about these. If they made one for a #5, I would be in 100%

They come in 6 & 7mm, #5 I believe is 5/16 = ~8mm.

HW

On 8/26/2019 at 5:33 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

I've only heard bad things about harken foils, even from harken guys. Apparently they are significantly more brittle and more prone to breaking

Any actual experience or you just telling stories?

4 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

HW

that doesnt sound right, 5/32" no? schaefer has #5 as 4mm

4 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Any actual experience or you just telling stories?

A guy who works for the local Harken dealer suggesting I stay with my Tuff Luff. One boat I sail on, a one tonner, goes through one about every 3-4 years. They may be ok on sprit boats, but most boats here still have Sym kites as well as assyms and the kite pole does nothing for the harken foils. 

Ymmv

6 hours ago, mgs said:

that doesnt sound right, 5/32" no? schaefer has #5 as 4mm

I could be wrong for sure. Couldn't find an equivalency chart anywheres.

Info from Gorilla is correct though.

HW

On 8/27/2019 at 4:45 AM, Haligonian Winterr said:

Headfoil from Gorilla Rigging (Newport, USA) that has been adopted by many of the 52's and other GP teams. Essentially replaces the front 1/3 of the extrusion with cloth, and cuts alot of weight out. Not sure who manufactures the extrusion but it may be the same plastic as Harken.

HW

As I understand it, the Gorilla head foil is single groove.  Grand prix TP52s don't change jibs on weather legs.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, Jubblies said:

We had a little chunk of track break off of our aged Tuff Luff foil a few weeks ago. I'm leaving it for now as there is only about a month left in our season, however my motto has always been if it's old and it breaks, replace the system not just the part. The new file will go on my spring list! So before I order a new system, any feedback, pros & cons on Tuff Luff Aero vs. Harken Carbo?

We have used/installed both on several boats. The Harken Carbo Foil is a little wider extrusion than the White Tuff Luff. Both will become brittle over time due to UV, it's just their nature. If a piece already broke it is time to change it as it ma keep happening and if the luff tape catches on a broken area, then you may add sail repair to the project, which means more $$.

I personally like the Harken Carbo a little better probably because I have see it taking real serious abuse by spinnaker poles and gybing /rubbing sheets.

Always happy to talk about it to help with the decision.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have to say, I REALLY like the Gorilla G-track. Just not sure if I can get one for a measly little 30 footer. According to their documentation, they are geared towards bigger boats with only extrusions for #6+. I'm not bothered by it being single groove. In the last years, I can't remember the last time we had to do an upwind sail change. I would have to say the time lost in going bare headed on the once and a long while is worth the overall advantage to a system like this. I'm a bit retentive about weight aloft, so this system would fit well into accommodating my neurosis.

As far as the Harken Carbo vs. Tuff Luff Aero is concerned, it seems like it's a "six and one half dozen the other" scenario. I guess it will just come down to which one is on sale when I order it.  

the last three 40' boats I've raced on have all used harken foils - and aside from the kite sheet digging holes in it eventually (Even with tape) they are fine. Haven't sailed a boat with the "new" "aero" foils though, nor the gorilla stuff.

Black plastic is more UV stable then white plastic.

22 hours ago, Left Shift said:

As I understand it, the Gorilla head foil is single groove.  Grand prix TP52s don't change jibs on weather legs.

There are options for both. Privateer used one for years, then went back to single groove even for offshore.

HW

Good experience with the G-Foil on a 12M. I'm partial to baldies offshore myself, got it down to 2 minutes of jib on the deck on a 45 footer in the Annapolis to Newport race this year. If the Harken tuff luff wasn't 1 year old I would advocate replacing it with a G-Foil. They ain't cheap though....

On 8/29/2019 at 5:24 AM, Haligonian Winterr said:

HW

A #5 foil is 5/32 or 4mm