Mike Hunt

WTF did they do to this J/125!?

Looks like they were after a spot on the Ugly Dodger thread.

Just now, Mr Moab said:

it only weighs 3200lbs. Buy now. Don’t wait! 

pair that with the "fine" sails and its a home run.

Does it matter what they did? I say that considering, the two in the classifieds for over $300k. If you bought this one at the listing price, stripped it of the bullshit, you still get the boat at a song if it's in decent shape otherwise.

• Like 1

Hmm. In NC.  Years ago there was a home grown sail maker in the Beaufort, NC area who had one of the most basterdized Soverall 33's ever.  His nick name was "Omar the Tent Maker".  Wonder if this is some of his work?  Although he may be a little old at this point....

• Like 1

I would snap this up in a heartbeat if I was in the market for one. That is a good price(comparatively). Plus it is in a prime spot for a fast ride back to the US.

Strange choice of boat to convert to a live-aboard cruiser?  Some of the racing pics show the solar panels, and wind generators in place.

Looks more like a 6-pack fast-sailing day charter boat, where the owners lived on board. 

57 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Hmm. In NC.  Years ago there was a home grown sail maker in the Beaufort, NC area who had one of the most basterdized Soverall 33's ever.  His nick name was "Omar the Tent Maker".  Wonder if this is some of his work?  Although he may be a little old at this point....

This one is his cousin, Achmed The Flag Maker...

- Stumbling

If you go through the photos, most of them show it without the giant bimini, so I guess it's easily removable.  The 7th-to-last photo is of the bare cockpit, and you can see what looks like several small attachment points for the bimini stanchions.  So...  maybe it's rigged to be easily added or removed, stanchions-and-all?  Left ashore for racing, but then mounted when cruising?  I'm not saying it's a brilliant idea, but maybe it was someone's idea of how to get the wife and kids to come along on the racer he already owned, or something like that.

13 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

If you go through the photos, most of them show it without the giant bimini, so I guess it's easily removable.  The 7th-to-last photo is of the bare cockpit, and you can see what looks like several small attachment points for the bimini stanchions.  So...  maybe it's rigged to be easily added or removed, stanchions-and-all?  Left ashore for racing, but then mounted when cruising?  I'm not saying it's a brilliant idea, but maybe it was someone's idea of how to get the wife and kids to come along on the racer he already owned, or something like that.

Makes perfect sense, now! :D

At a 139K, unless it's a complete basket case, I'm guessing it won't be on the market long. Hell, even if it is a complete basket case.........

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Strange choice of boat to convert to a live-aboard cruiser?  Some of the racing pics show the solar panels, and wind generators in place.

Other pictures show some sort of a spin pole???

5 hours ago, trimfast said:

Does it matter what they did? I say that considering, the two in the classifieds for over $300k. If you bought this one at the listing price, stripped it of the bullshit, you still get the boat at a song if it's in decent shape otherwise.

Second that one. Good entry price to get into the boat. Just take the big flat screen home and put it in your basement!

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I wonder what this history of this boat is... Salvage (Hurricane?) insurance rescue / rebuild? May have old issues...

9 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I wonder what this history of this boat is... Salvage (Hurricane?) insurance rescue / rebuild? May have old issues...

Owner just needs to double the price and everyone will think it's a great deal.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, trimfast said:

*IF it's in decent shape otherwise. 

The $300k boats are fully sorted, updated rudders...turn key.  I imagine one would be close to $300k after buying this and putting the work/kit into it.  

Haha. It will be like this cruise modified SC50 I bought. The demented POs first purchase was a portable drill. Then they went to WM and bought every little cruise accessory off the bargain table. A few days of random drilling for self tapping screws and Voila! a cruising boat. 9 years later I am still finding screw holes and brackets. At least 20,000 patched so far.

The most painful were the multitudes of little deck brackets for the “easily removed” bimini, dodger, solar, and shade crap. Wow do those ever hurt and snag in race mode.

Half price is about right.

• Like 1

Two of the photos are from one of the boat listed in the classifieds. The one with out the tv and the carbon bits and the other of the cockpit with raptor deck. 

15 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Owner just needs to double the price and everyone will think it's a great deal.

That used to work for James Eastland!!  That and the fact that there are dozens of Nonsuch owners who purchased is own "personal" boat! LOL

What he said vvvv  Looks to me it does!

It’s over priced if it has an aluminum mast. 

It’s Grenada. It’s fucking sunny. There’s more usable chill out space in the cockpit than down below...and it looks reasonably set for race/short range cruising  or day sailing. 

Glad to see someone out there using the available real estate on one of these long cockpit/short cabin designs. For that climate, it kinda makes sense for the intended mixed use.

It looks like the bimini will fold on to the arch(and rest underneath the solar panels)in no time w no cloth. The panels and the dodger maybe slightly more than no time...but what’s the rush anyway? If you take the middle canvas panel out, that dodger begins to look a lot better and you’re definitely going to want it at anchor down there.

I like the vibe.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 11:38 AM, Airwick said:

It needs more/bigger American flags!

I'm shocked there isn't some sort of MAGA propaganda, or at the very least a (made in China) Trump flag. 

On 8/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, pudge said:

I'm shocked there isn't some sort of MAGAT propaganda, or at the very least a (made in China) Trump flag. 

Fixerated it for you. Make America Great Again Trumper.....pronounced maggot

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/28/2019 at 6:54 AM, RobbieB said:

That is too funny. Back in the 70's we had a cover /sailmaker in the Channel Islands Harbor area called "Omar the Tent Maker"

On 8/27/2019 at 10:31 PM, Mike Hunt said:

So what in SA’s “collective wisdom” is an appropriate amount to pay for this particular J/125?  I’m tempted (double handed day sailing, weekending, occasional beer can and around the bay type racing) but as detailed here, this boat has issues, the 8 foot draft is constraining, and it’s a LONG way from home (NE) at the moment. 

Fair market value of a race ready j125 300k give or take, new mast and boom, carbon rigging 325k. So you need to pick with boat up for -25k. 

I would recommend buying timeshaver in the classifieds it will be cheaper and it’s a turn key boat. 

OK, so I bought this boat.

The old owner admitted he had converted a Ferrari into a Winnebago. I knew the boat from Grenada, where I had been living until Covid hit in March.  She is in NC, and I'm planning to slowly sail back to Grenada, starting probably in November.  If anyone wants a ride, do let me know.

I flew down to move her to Beaufort for haul out and survey.  The saildrive failed during the first hour, and I helped short tack out of a very narrow channel. When we got to more open water, I was able to sail, upwind at least, in 14+ kts. She was tender with no one on the rail, and we reefed the main to good effect.  Hitting high 7s to 8 kts upwind.  She felt not very different from my J24, just faster, and with better tracking upwind.  

Survey passed, with minor repair of a rudder bearing to be done. Saildrive downshaft was broken; fixed by seller and all new seals installed. 

For now, other than getting rid of the loveseat behind the wheel, I have no major plans.  Bimini and dodger are both easily collapsable.  The rear superstructure with solar panels and wind generators will be useful for trip down, but ultimately I may create a quick-release system to facilitate removal for racing.  The sails are adequate for cruising, and I'll eventually upgrade these for sure.  

Since I have the J24 for one design racing, I may simply use Eagle's Wings for fast island hopping in the Grenadines, and perhaps a distance race or two. 

I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions about how to get the most out of this boat.  

Cheers!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

All I;m seeing on your linky is megayachts suitable for hiding Putin and Trump from prosecution for months at a time in luxury.

Guess you don't look at dates or previous posts before posting.....

3 hours ago, DrA said:

The old owner admitted he had converted a Ferrari into a Winnebago. I knew the boat from Grenada, where I had been living until Covid hit in March.  She is in NC, and I'm planning to slowly sail back to Grenada, starting probably in November.  If anyone wants a ride, do let me know.

I flew down to move her to Beaufort for haul out and survey.  The saildrive failed during the first hour, and I helped short tack out of a very narrow channel. When we got to more open water, I was able to sail, upwind at least, in 14+ kts. She was tender with no one on the rail, and we reefed the main to good effect.  Hitting high 7s to 8 kts upwind.  She felt not very different from my J24, just faster, and with better tracking upwind.  

Survey passed, with minor repair of a rudder bearing to be done. Saildrive downshaft was broken; fixed by seller and all new seals installed. 

For now, other than getting rid of the loveseat behind the wheel, I have no major plans.  Bimini and dodger are both easily collapsable.  The rear superstructure with solar panels and wind generators will be useful for trip down, but ultimately I may create a quick-release system to facilitate removal for racing.  The sails are adequate for cruising, and I'll eventually upgrade these for sure.  

Since I have the J24 for one design racing, I may simply use Eagle's Wings for fast island hopping in the Grenadines, and perhaps a distance race or two. 

I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions about how to get the most out of this boat.  

Cheers!

Congrats!!  

The fun thing about taking an ex-race boat and making it a cruiser is that you can make choices to make the boat even faster. Ignoring rating factors is a very good thing to do. Fast is Fun!

• Like 1

I was curious and found this link, https://justcatamarans.net/monohull-listing/1998-j-boats-125-sailboat-eagles-wings/. Under all that stuff it is a pretty cool boat.

You mentioned a rudder bearing issue. Not sure what one was used in this boat, but if it is the crap JP3 version take a look at the replacement options through Jefa (PYI is a good resource). 

I like this photo.

1998-J-Boats-J125-Sailboat-EAGLES-WINGS.

Good thing the lady in red

is on the rail!

Haha! Good eye!

Looks like a bear away to duck without easing main. 
I’ll check out the rudder. Thanks!

CarCrash: That’s the plan. Any suggestions? 

DrA

On 9/18/2020 at 11:25 AM, DrA said:

Dr. A –

I am sure you are a good guy and mean well.  I can appreciate the thought of sailing “fast” through the Grenadines is appealing.  No place better to sail even if we lost Walter Bobb years ago.  He was a giant in the area.  If you are a Grenadines person, I am sure you know of Walter (aka “Engine”) and his immeasurable contributions to the region.

The only appropriate thing to do with that boat is sell it to someone who actually knows what it is and has the money to bring it into race mode.  Get enough money to buy a boat that suits you … a J 120 (with money left over), a J 122, an X-44 … anything but a 125. 

There were only 16 built (and I think one had been destroyed since then).  Don’t let it wilt as a daysailer when it can be resurrected as the “unicorn” racer it is … That is the only way "to get the most out of the boat."

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, DrA said:

Cheers!

We saw Eagle's Wings in Bequia a number of months ago!  Assuming that was you....  Enjoy the new ride, should be fun rocketing down island.

9 minutes ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

No place better to sail even if we lost Walter Bobb years ago.  He was a giant in the area.  If you are a Grenadines person, I am sure you know of Walter (aka “Engine”) and his immeasurable contributions to the region.

Walter was a great person....always enjoyed him in the TCays.  We would always bring him Mangos down from Bequia which he appreciated.  

1 minute ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

Walter was a great person....always enjoyed him in the TCays.  We would always bring him Mangos down from Bequia which he appreciated.  

Walter changed the entire dynamic as to how the Boat Vendors (f/k/a Boat Boys) interacted with the boats in Tobago Cays and the surrounding areas.  I have several good Walter stories, but I will only bore you with one right now ...

In the old days, The Moorings had a base on Canouan.  The person who ran the base was a man mountain (six foot four or taller) Australian named Scott Cundy.  Scott was the real deal and a great guy.  He has a girlfriend or wife ran the diving concession.  She was actually the hard-ass of the two, but also a cool person.  She was at least a foot shorter than Scott.

Anyway, one time Scott was giving the local “chalk talk” he mention one of The Moorings boats has ended up on a reef in Tobago Cays.  He ran down there in a 20 ft RBI and found all the Boat Vendors from yester year (Free Willy, Mr. Fabulous, etc.) waiting to salvage the boat.  Scott, who was just a monster of a human being (and one of the nicest and smartest guys you could ever meet) motored up and said in a really loud voice, “I am dealing with Walter on this.  Does anyone have a problem with that?”  That was the end of discussion.  His point was you ONLY set things up with Walter.

The guy who ran the Usual Suspects website (which was the seminal source of Southern Grenadines info in the old days) turned me on to Walter.  Walter and I called him once from Tobago Cays in March.  The guy was in Canada in the snow.  Still not sure who enjoyed that more … including me.

Walter’s family owns (or runs) the airport bar on Union Island.  I always stop by and tell a Walter story when I am in town …  His no nonsense approach changed the entire Southern Grenadines for the better.  I have always thought the government should name the national park the “Tobago Cays/Walter Bobb Memorial Marine Sanctuary.”  His was just a giant … and a great guy who loved his country.  A great Vincentian.

Walter.jpg

Thanks for the great story. Sad that I never got to meet Walter. Sounds like an amazing person. 
That was the former owner in Bequia, en route to Martinique, then the US. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

The only appropriate thing to do with that boat is sell it to someone who actually knows what it is and has the money to bring it into race mode.  Get enough money to buy a boat that suits you … a J 120 (with money left over), a J 122, an X-44 … anything but a 125. 

There were only 16 built (and I think one had been destroyed since then).  Don’t let it wilt as a daysailer when it can be resurrected as the “unicorn” racer it is … That is the only way "to get the most out of the boat."

It’s his boat. One of 16 is not one of one. It is not Dorade, Windward Passage, Running Tide, or a Ferrari 250 GTO that should be preserved “as it was” (and let us note nearly none of these are 100% original). If you want to protect the line I bet J/Boats would gladly build you a brand new one for a metric shit ton of dollars.

I say have fun with it however you like, @DrA

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Alaris said:

It’s his boat. One of 16 is not one of one. It is not Dorade, Windward Passage, Running Tide, or a Ferrari 250 GTO that should be preserved “as it was” (and let us note nearly none of these are 100% original). If you want to protect the line I bet J/Boats would gladly build you a brand new one for a metric shit ton of dollars.

I say have fun with it however you like, @DrA

Don’t understand the tone of your response.  The guy directly asked how “to get the most out of the boat.”  So I offered my opinion.  If he didn’t want various opinions, he should not solicit them.  BTW, the new owner has already responded and seems to take no offense … which is appropriate, since no offense was meant.

Telling the man that his intended use wasn’t “the only appropriate thing to do” and suggesting he didn’t have enough money to do whatever you decreed was the “appropriate thing to do” is not a particularly nice thing to say to someone who just bought a new boat. That’s the reason for the tone.

And because your idea that racing boats must be raced is stupid. I’ve been cruising my racing boat all summer and having a blast. 

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alaris said:

Telling the man that his intended use wasn’t “the only appropriate thing to do” and suggesting he didn’t have enough money to do whatever you decreed was the “appropriate thing to do” is not a particularly nice thing to say to someone who just bought a new boat. That’s the reason for the tone.

And because your idea that racing boats must be raced is stupid. I’ve been cruising my racing boat all summer and having a blast. 

So, for example, if someone bought a modified 1D 35 to use primarily for daysailing, you would think that is OK?

You are just looking for a fight.  I’m not.  Have a good day

Absolutely. Have fun with the 35. Why do you care what someone else does with their boat? The racing boat I cruise has a carbon rig, masthead kites, running backstays, and no standing headroom. Are you going to tell me I shouldn’t do that either?

Not looking for a fight. Just pointing out that your idea of how to use a boat isn’t gospel. You may be shocked to learn some people race cruising boats as well...

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

Walter changed the entire dynamic as to how the Boat Vendors (f/k/a Boat Boys) interacted with the boats in Tobago Cays and the surrounding areas.  I have several good Walter stories, but I will only bore you with one right now ...

Anyway, one time Scott was giving the local “chalk talk” he mention one of The Moorings boats has ended up on a reef in Tobago Cays.  He ran down there in a 20 ft RBI and found all the Boat Vendors from yester year (Free Willy, Mr. Fabulous, etc.) waiting to salvage the boat.  Scott, who was just a monster of a human being (and one of the nicest and smartest guys you could ever meet) motored up and said in a really loud voice, “I am dealing with Walter on this.  Does anyone have a problem with that?”  That was the end of discussion.  His point was you ONLY set things up with Walter.

The guy who ran the Usual Suspects website (which was the seminal source of Southern Grenadines info in the old days) turned me on to Walter.  Walter and I called him once from Tobago Cays in March.  The guy was in Canada in the snow.  Still not sure who enjoyed that more … including me.

Walter’s family owns (or runs) the airport bar on Union Island.  I always stop by and tell a Walter story when I am in town …  His no nonsense approach changed the entire Southern Grenadines for the better.  I have always thought the government should name the national park the “Tobago Cays/Walter Bobb Memorial Marine Sanctuary.”  His was just a giant … and a great guy who loved his country.  A great Vincentian.

Walter.jpgO

Yep, that's Walter....good to know it was him who organized the Boat Vendors.  They remain a well organized group to this day.  You mention Free Willy (Ken), we just ran into him last year as we passed through the Cays.....he was living in Canada, but didn't sound like things turned out for him so he came back.

When we started to charter out of Barefoot (St. Vincent)  in the early 2000's we read a lot of Rob Charuk's info on the Usual Suspects website.....great info that helped to get our bearings.  I'm sure he loved getting the phone call with you and Walter.   Our second season of chartering I raced on a local boat in the Bequia Easter Regatta and wrote a trip report for Travel Advisor, or some such online resource.  Rob enjoyed the article and asked to repost on his site....I think it was the last trip report prior to him taking the site down.  We had some great phone calls with Rob and did the same as you......called Rob with Free Willy on our boat!  Thanks for the Walter memories!  BYW - enjoy your avitar.....Janti's place has continued to grow and has a hellava business.

I joined SA because the general comments about the J125 were interesting and informative.  I was hoping for constructive ideas from actual J125 owners on how to maximize enjoyment of Eagle's Wings.  It was great to see, for example, a recommendation for an improved rudder bearing, which I need to replace.  Clearly, selling the boat (that I just bought and is still on the hard) to a committed racer for a complete makeover isn't what I had in mind.  

Enough said.

Kiss and make up.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Enjoy your new boat sir and do with it what you wish. Too many folks like telling others what to do with their property. 

Thank you, brother.

I would say check the mast head, but I think this boat has a Al rig.   I have sailed on 2 of the 125’s and both had issues with the mast head crane. 

We also use a plug on the exhaust as we found in a bad port down knockdown water can work it’s way into the motor. You might not have this issues but a flapper would also solve the issues. We put the 125 port side down mast in the water for about 3 minutes, and in that time water worked up into the motor. We had to take the head off the motor and get it rebuilt. 

• Like 1

My take on the J/125 is that it was essentially ahead of its time. An updated, better-executed Hobie 33 in spirit.

I truly believe that it took a decade before people -- and, more specifically, racers -- learned what it was all about and learned how to exploit its specific strong points. I wonder how many down payments it would take for J/boats to make another run of them. And how many people would commit? In some ways the design is dated but, hey, they're still winning and fun as fuck to sail.

Do whatever you want, of course. It's your boat. But think about resale value. Or is this your keep-until-I-die boat?

You keeping it in San Francisco? I'd start with a J/120 as others have mentioned. My guess is you can sell the J/125 in SF for "your cost" + "transportation costs" + "a tidy profit", then buy a primo J/120 and upgrade/refurbish to your hearts content and still have 10s of thousands of dollars left over. Less dependent on crew weight for fast comfortable sailing. But that's just my ideas.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:27 AM, JimBowie said:

All I;m seeing on your linky is megayachts suitable for hiding Putin and Trump from prosecution for months at a time in luxury.

This coming from SA's latest ahole is just wrong.
The link is to a yacht sales site that has obviously removed the boat because it sold. DUH

• Like 1