Mike Hunt

WTF did they do to this J/125!?

Looks like they were after a spot on the Ugly Dodger thread.

Just now, Mr Moab said:

it only weighs 3200lbs. Buy now. Don’t wait! 

pair that with the "fine" sails and its a home run.

Does it matter what they did? I say that considering, the two in the classifieds for over $300k. If you bought this one at the listing price, stripped it of the bullshit, you still get the boat at a song if it's in decent shape otherwise.

• Like 1

Hmm. In NC.  Years ago there was a home grown sail maker in the Beaufort, NC area who had one of the most basterdized Soverall 33's ever.  His nick name was "Omar the Tent Maker".  Wonder if this is some of his work?  Although he may be a little old at this point....

• Like 1

I would snap this up in a heartbeat if I was in the market for one. That is a good price(comparatively). Plus it is in a prime spot for a fast ride back to the US.

Strange choice of boat to convert to a live-aboard cruiser?  Some of the racing pics show the solar panels, and wind generators in place.

Looks more like a 6-pack fast-sailing day charter boat, where the owners lived on board. 

57 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Hmm. In NC.  Years ago there was a home grown sail maker in the Beaufort, NC area who had one of the most basterdized Soverall 33's ever.  His nick name was "Omar the Tent Maker".  Wonder if this is some of his work?  Although he may be a little old at this point....

This one is his cousin, Achmed The Flag Maker...

- Stumbling

If you go through the photos, most of them show it without the giant bimini, so I guess it's easily removable.  The 7th-to-last photo is of the bare cockpit, and you can see what looks like several small attachment points for the bimini stanchions.  So...  maybe it's rigged to be easily added or removed, stanchions-and-all?  Left ashore for racing, but then mounted when cruising?  I'm not saying it's a brilliant idea, but maybe it was someone's idea of how to get the wife and kids to come along on the racer he already owned, or something like that.

13 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

If you go through the photos, most of them show it without the giant bimini, so I guess it's easily removable.  The 7th-to-last photo is of the bare cockpit, and you can see what looks like several small attachment points for the bimini stanchions.  So...  maybe it's rigged to be easily added or removed, stanchions-and-all?  Left ashore for racing, but then mounted when cruising?  I'm not saying it's a brilliant idea, but maybe it was someone's idea of how to get the wife and kids to come along on the racer he already owned, or something like that.

Makes perfect sense, now! :D

At a 139K, unless it's a complete basket case, I'm guessing it won't be on the market long. Hell, even if it is a complete basket case.........

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Strange choice of boat to convert to a live-aboard cruiser?  Some of the racing pics show the solar panels, and wind generators in place.

Other pictures show some sort of a spin pole???

5 hours ago, trimfast said:

Does it matter what they did? I say that considering, the two in the classifieds for over $300k. If you bought this one at the listing price, stripped it of the bullshit, you still get the boat at a song if it's in decent shape otherwise.

Second that one. Good entry price to get into the boat. Just take the big flat screen home and put it in your basement!

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I wonder what this history of this boat is... Salvage (Hurricane?) insurance rescue / rebuild? May have old issues...

9 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I wonder what this history of this boat is... Salvage (Hurricane?) insurance rescue / rebuild? May have old issues...

Owner just needs to double the price and everyone will think it's a great deal.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, trimfast said:

*IF it's in decent shape otherwise. 

The $300k boats are fully sorted, updated rudders...turn key.  I imagine one would be close to $300k after buying this and putting the work/kit into it.  

Haha. It will be like this cruise modified SC50 I bought. The demented POs first purchase was a portable drill. Then they went to WM and bought every little cruise accessory off the bargain table. A few days of random drilling for self tapping screws and Voila! a cruising boat. 9 years later I am still finding screw holes and brackets. At least 20,000 patched so far.

The most painful were the multitudes of little deck brackets for the “easily removed” bimini, dodger, solar, and shade crap. Wow do those ever hurt and snag in race mode.

Half price is about right.

Two of the photos are from one of the boat listed in the classifieds. The one with out the tv and the carbon bits and the other of the cockpit with raptor deck. 

15 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Owner just needs to double the price and everyone will think it's a great deal.

That used to work for James Eastland!!  That and the fact that there are dozens of Nonsuch owners who purchased is own "personal" boat! LOL

What he said vvvv  Looks to me it does!

It’s over priced if it has an aluminum mast. 

It’s Grenada. It’s fucking sunny. There’s more usable chill out space in the cockpit than down below...and it looks reasonably set for race/short range cruising  or day sailing. 

Glad to see someone out there using the available real estate on one of these long cockpit/short cabin designs. For that climate, it kinda makes sense for the intended mixed use.

It looks like the bimini will fold on to the arch(and rest underneath the solar panels)in no time w no cloth. The panels and the dodger maybe slightly more than no time...but what’s the rush anyway? If you take the middle canvas panel out, that dodger begins to look a lot better and you’re definitely going to want it at anchor down there.

I like the vibe.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 11:38 AM, Airwick said:

It needs more/bigger American flags!

I'm shocked there isn't some sort of MAGA propaganda, or at the very least a (made in China) Trump flag. 

On 8/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, pudge said:

I'm shocked there isn't some sort of MAGAT propaganda, or at the very least a (made in China) Trump flag. 

Fixerated it for you. Make America Great Again Trumper.....pronounced maggot

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/28/2019 at 6:54 AM, RobbieB said:

That is too funny. Back in the 70's we had a cover /sailmaker in the Channel Islands Harbor area called "Omar the Tent Maker"

On 8/27/2019 at 10:31 PM, Mike Hunt said:

So what in SA’s “collective wisdom” is an appropriate amount to pay for this particular J/125?  I’m tempted (double handed day sailing, weekending, occasional beer can and around the bay type racing) but as detailed here, this boat has issues, the 8 foot draft is constraining, and it’s a LONG way from home (NE) at the moment. 

Fair market value of a race ready j125 300k give or take, new mast and boom, carbon rigging 325k. So you need to pick with boat up for -25k. 

I would recommend buying timeshaver in the classifieds it will be cheaper and it’s a turn key boat.