Sign in to follow this  
Greyhound37

Donnybrook is back (on the market)

Is she the Donnybrook that hit the rocks by one of the tunnels of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel during and Annapolis-Newport Race?

15 minutes ago, Crash said:

Is she the Donnybrook that hit the rocks by one of the tunnels of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel during and Annapolis-Newport Race?

Its easier to list what she hasn't hit.  They should have the guy with the binocs looking forward 

donny.jpg

2 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Its easier to list what she hasn't hit. 

"Located in Portsmouth Rhode island, her owner is now able to accept all offers for this ( still) very fast machine.

Good sails, good equipment, she has everything needed to start racing again, except is in need of a new keel fin."

Has to be among the most cursed boats still around no?

So if you were selling an 80ft racing machine, wouldn't you at least sweep the floor, throw some oxy clean on the bunks and generally scrub the shit out of the interior??  They can obviously afford to race her, how much would it cost to get some cleaning people in there for an hour??  

32 minutes ago, Crash said:

No that was the smaller one. Jim took the insurance payout and bought this instead of taking care of his crews insurance deductibles/expenses when they got injured due to hitting the rock like any good skipper should have. This one BTW has hit many things as well,. including a whale during the Halifax race. 

43 minutes ago, shaggy said:

So if you were selling an 80ft racing machine, wouldn't you at least sweep the floor, throw some oxy clean on the bunks and generally scrub the shit out of the interior??  They can obviously afford to race her, how much would it cost to get some cleaning people in there for an hour??  

You haven't bought many boats have you? ;)

IME they are pigstys more often than not. People don't even take the time to sweep the crap out of frame when they take pics let alone actually clean things up.

Of all the boats I have owned only one was at all tidy when I looked at it.

The boat sounds like it's had a hard life but that price makes for a pretty cheap rig and hardware to outfit a new big boat. The rig alone must be worth well over that asking price.

Last time I heard anyone talk about the boat, it needed a whole lot of work to the keel, structure and the sort. I have also heard stories from the C600 where the crew were just hoping the keel would hold for the race. So it really isn't surprising the price is so low, if the work still needs to be done. Anyone have any other details? 

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

You haven't bought many boats have you? ;)

IME they are pigstys more often than not. People don't even take the time to sweep the crap out of frame when they take pics let alone actually clean things up.

Of all the boats I have owned only one was at all tidy when I looked at it.

My point is that this is a frigging 80 ft racing machine.  I can see your point with a J24, ericson39, or somesuch, but come on man, that dude has the $$ to get someone in there to make her look purty, Just doesn't care.  Sad really...  

if you look closely you can see "water lines" in both the bow and steering quadrant sections. Did this yacht ever (partially) sink?
also it looks like the rudder bearing is leaking.

I was aboard her in the yard at Soper's Hole. She was hauled for the keel head failure during the delivery down from New England. It definitely has been ridden hard and put away wet.

3 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

I was aboard her in the yard at Soper's Hole. She was hauled for the keel head failure during the delivery down from New England. It definitely has been ridden hard and put away wet.

That's the case with anything Jim has ever owned and never properly funded hoping it would just "hold together". From the electrical fire on the 74 footer to this, I'm not surprised its in the condition it's in. Come to think of it I'm surprised it's in as good condition all things considered. 

About the cleanliness..

The problem with a boat like that is it must have a pro crew.  At least 2 full time people if not 3, and then if you want to be competitive you need pro sailors to do well.  Boat kike that just can't be handled by a large majority of the crew being weekend warriors.  Donnybrook was known for slap together crew, boat like that needs a buncha pros on standby payroll to do whatever race the owner wants to do.

I find it amazing the guy would try to be the self proclaimed arbiter and top lobbyist for national safety regulations. Is there a program that had more accidents/ injuries issues over the years?  You can’t save fingers by wearing a pfd 24/7. 

Everything needed - except a keel. :blink:

On 8/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Hope the yard is donating storage. 

Sure sounds like the yard owned it...