Sign in to follow this  
Snow Guy

Annapolis Racing- Looking for Tips & Tricks

Next month, my crew and I will be going down to Annapolis for the US Offshore Nationals.  None of us have raced out of there before.  Any tips/tricks when it comes to local knowledge?

Seems to me that the currents should be pretty straightforward in the main channels.  Are there much for eddies?  I don’t have access to Expedition, but we do plan on bringing a tablet to run OpenCPN. 

Any quirks with the breeze?

Thanks in advance.

Sailed there last September...just as hurricane Florence was coming in.

Apparently that made shit a little fucked. Great racing, though.

Met some dude at the Boatyard who was firing off some tips, but me and the boys were already getting after it, so it's a bit fuzzy.

If all else fails win the boat and go left

Not sure exactly.  We will be racing the Navy 44s out of the Academy.  All the NOR says is 3 buoy races and a medium and a long distance race.

3 minutes ago, Snow Guy said:

Not sure exactly.  We will be racing the Navy 44s out of the Academy.  All the NOR says is 3 buoy races and a medium and a long distance race.

Say "fuck" a lot. Like, three or four times per sentence. That will show the Navy you know what you're doing.

FB- Doug

Late September there is a good chance that you will get frontal driven weather, so pay attention to the tides and current in addition to the wind.

If all else fails, my recommendation is to head to BWI, get on airplane, fly to a destination with good sailing conditions.

Odds are they will try to set up in the vicinity of R-2.  Typical river mouth wind and current influences.  Normally will have decent winds at the end of Sept, often NNW or NW behind a front so you will see a shore effect toward the Western shore.  Expedition would be a good tool if you can borrow a copy but it's only a guide as persistent winds and runoff in the large watershed really impact the shallow Bay .

Whatever you do, keep the boat moving.  They are big heavy boats.  

--Kevin

• Like 1

As you probably know, we have weather here, not a climate. It could possibly be flat calm and 100 degrees, 50 degrees with 25-35 out of the NW, a tornado, a hurricane, or 5-10 light and variable from the south, or all of the above.

The "tricks" with current are fairly obvious at first glance, the tidal currents are faster in the deep channels and slower in shallower water. The confusing part is sustained wind can totally negate the official tide tables. Strong NW winds that last all day pretty much eliminate the incoming tide - it just goes out and then more out.

I don't think it is possible to explain all the local variations in wind, but there can be significant differences over fairly small areas. Look ahead for what you can see on the water. Speaking of water, we have the most enthusiastic seaweed growth going on this year that I can remember since I was a kid. Make sure you haven't collected any before the start. I managed to back out of my slip the other day right into a jungle of the stuff :o

Hurricanes aside, you might see two kinds of storms. We have solid nasty "storm fronts of death" that are one big red line on the radar. We have lately had a ton of isolated storms with clear weather between. It has literally been storming like hell a mile north and south of me recently without me getting one drop of rain. If those kind of storms come through the race course, you might be clear of them while others are not or vice versa.

It's not the area to worry about it's the boats. We did it twice on the Navy 44's and there's a big disparity between them. When we did it they made us tape over all of the instruments that were working and you could only take a handheld gps. You changed boats everyday but take the same jib and spinnaker with you from boat to boat. You can't adjust or fix anything on the boats. We sent our bowman up the rig to adjust the windex, don't do that! They will give you an safety officer (retired navy) and a cadet that stays with you from boat to boat. I thought our rudder fell off a couple of times but then the boat finally started to turn. Oh yeah, there's a lot of protesting that goes on too. Good luck, overall it's fun.

• Like 1

Been racing in Annapolis area my whole life since the 60s.  As soon as you think you know what's going on, wind does the unexpected.

If you're doing Lloyd Phoenix, I raced in it 3 times, twice with my old man as skipper and a friend as skipper.  Or if Kennedy and/or Mac cup, I've done each of those twice.  Won all of those.

Like someone else mentioned, heavy boats.  Keep maneuvering to a minimum, especially if the wind is under 10 kts.  Try to pick a clean lane to what you deem as the favored side of the course, keep the rudder action to a minimum.

I did that event twice. Upwind, Stay out of the middle. Also, Stay out of the room. If you are dragged into the room, bring your midshipman with you.