Sign in to follow this  
Tmacmi

Repair rroken boom mounted reef cam

I this cam no longer has much spring left in it. (I jammed it up prior to the photo) Has anybody repaired one of these cams (see attached) Its aluminum and mounted on the boom. I tried to take the clip off this past weekend and it was a bitch so I started fussing with other stuff.Reef Cam.pdf

It's not run right either, the line should go over the top of the sheave.

After that try some lube on the cam.

6 minutes ago, See Level said:

It's not run right either, the line should go over the top of the sheave.

After that try some lube on the cam.

I'll admit I tried a half dozen times to figure out the path of travel. I just got the boat 3 weeks ago an that wasn't rigged.

I tried going over the sheave but I couldn't figure out how the line can go over the sheave and still run through the cam.

I think Mike has it - pop those snap rings off - I'll bet the spring in the cam is dead - then reverse them on the pivots.

Be prepared for them to have dozens of loose, tiny little balls that will spill all over the deck when you slide them off - have someone hold a plastic tub underneath when you slide them out.

Don't ask me how I know this.

33 minutes ago, RImike said:

Looks like the cam and the sheave are reversed. 

That would seem to make sense, but See Level jogged my memory of an almost indecipherable rigging plan in a old copy an "owners manual".  From what I can see plan calls for the line to run as shown in red in the attached pdf and the cam to jam it before the sheave as shown in blue.

If that is the case the cam spring is blown. So question 1) can this be done while the boom is on the mast in the vertical position? I have no idea how you would repack ball bearings in that orientation. 2) where do you get replacement springs?

Correct Running.pdf

1 hour ago, RImike said:

Looks like the cam and the sheave are reversed. 

Nope, sheave is there to direct the line to the next block at the base of the mast. Looks like the lever handles been broken off.

No ball bearings in those old Kenyon cams.

blcW8sV.jpg

The above pic is the correct layout. No balls anywhere in those parts.

1 hour ago, See Level said:

Nope, sheave is there to direct the line to the next block at the base of the mast. Looks like the lever handles been broken off.

No ball bearings in those old Kenyon cams.

blcW8sV.jpg

That makes much more sense. The cam does it's work against the boom itself. 

I don't think there's a spring there, either. Just the missing handle.

Thanks to all who helped. Rig Rite may have a direct and improved replacement. I'll let you know.