PaulK

Trapeze Harness

Am contemplating getting a trapeze harness for various crew to use on my 505. In other words, if there’s a trapeze harness that goes with the boat, which one should it be?   Is there a harness that will adjust to fit a range of different people, or is a precise fit too critical, with different people needing different harnesses because of their varying dimensions?  

Me too!  I had figured I'd end up with an old Hobie diaper off Ebay but now that you mention it, there are probably better options available.

yes it really depends. I have a Zhik XL to account for my height. I have the waist adjusted all the way in and its probably just a bit too big. So someone smaller would be flopping about in it. 

My Ronstan XL is too short for me (almost lose the strap when putting it on) but the waist has more room to come in for me, but not much room to let out. 

so like clothes its hard to get something to fit a tall and narrow vs a short and round. 

So i have both with me to make sure i can take different people sailing and have the harness fit. For a casual sail does not have to be precise but my Zhik might be an issue for a skinnier person. 

Definitely try before you buy, and optimally, hang around for a bit in the harness as you would from a trapeze wire. 

I've bought two nice harnesses, but keep winding up with other harnesses ... buy a few Hobies and they often come along with the purchase, An '80s rainbow diaper just arrived last month, courtesy of a club member selling his boat and thinking of me.

My Zhik T1 harness is hands-down my favorite, but I'm a little tall for the L/XL and could use an extra couple of inches in the webbing just to get into the gear (OK when buckled in, but probably entertaining to watch *during* buckling). The Magic Marine Full XL Harness has longer legs which is handy for dinghies; it has more length in the straps/webbing, as well... but the Zhik just feels better. All my other harnesses are handy butt buckets to have for casual crew who require various different sizes of buckets for their butts... but most serious crew have their own gear that fits them best. 

I think I have...four different harnesses right now?

Probably comes down to how much you want to spend and the kind of racing you are going to do.  For me, I do some long distance catamaran racing, so comfort is number one.

The Zhik is super comfortable, but I just don't trust the velcro anymore after it nearly dropped me twice.

The Magic Marine Ultimate is quite comfortable, but I don't think they make it any more.

My go-to is now my Neil Pryde Elite harness; more comfortable than the MM and much lighter as well.

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Image result for sailing butt bucket harness

Whole lotta pain represented by this photo. Old school torture. 

So I’ll avoid those, thanks.  Any comments on the Gill harness?