B.J. Porter

Selling My .22

Sorry for the non-political post in PA, but this is where most of the gun people I know hang out.

I'm back in the U.S. helping my parents move from their house to an apartment. One of the things we need to get rid of is my old . 22 - a Springfield model 120A. It's not worth a lot, but condition suggests $50-100. It's in nice shape, though the stock was refinished from the original. It's pretty, but it's not the way it came from the factory from what my dad says. He refinished and restored it before he gave it to me about 40 years ago.

With them into an apartment and selling their house in the woods and me living on a boat for the foreseeable future I don't see a reason to hang onto it. We also have another handgun laying about, a semiautomatic . 22 target pistol my parents got from my grandfather's estate when he died. It looks a bit like a Luger without the lumps, I don't have the details handy. Research suggests that one was made in the mid 30s and around worth from $400-$1,200 depending on condition. I've never fired this one or seen it fired.

What's the best way to sell these? It seems that walking into a gun dealer with them would be like selling your antiques to a dealer - you'd basically be getting a low end wholesale price, versus what you'd get in a private sale. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

Ebay, Craigslist, etc. - the usual means I know for getting rid of old gear, of course won't touch guns.

So what's the easiest way to sell these without a lot of hassle for a decent price?

• Like 1

dogballs

Great idea for a thread, very timely.

Ive got an M1A in a Troy chassis that’s just taking up space. Im looking for ideas too.

96D7D8CE-149B-4233-B33F-E29FB15B27E0.jpeg.ecf44b412ea03f4b96746bcd7f3422be.jpeg

You should buy them from your folks at market value.  Scary as it sounds take them to a local dealer and get an appraisal (not High Noon Guns in Venice, Fl).  Then turn them into the local police for destruction. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

What's the best way to sell these? It seems that walking into a gun dealer with them would be like selling your antiques to a dealer - you'd basically be getting a low end wholesale price, versus what you'd get in a private sale using the gun show loophole while voting against it. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

Just the terminology, but I helpfully corrected you. Much like with badlat, I expect that your use of the notorious gun show loophole is excusable around here because TeamD.

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Sorry for the non-political post in PA, but this is where most of the gun people I know hang out.

I'm back in the U.S. helping my parents move from their house to an apartment. One of the things we need to get rid of is my old . 22 - a Springfield model 120A. It's not worth a lot, but condition suggests $50-100. It's in nice shape, though the stock was refinished from the original. It's pretty, but it's not the way it came from the factory from what my dad says. He refinished and restored it before he gave it to me about 40 years ago.

With them into an apartment and selling their house in the woods and me living on a boat for the foreseeable future I don't see a reason to hang onto it. We also have another handgun laying about, a semiautomatic . 22 target pistol my parents got from my grandfather's estate when he died. It looks a bit like a Luger without the lumps, I don't have the details handy. Research suggests that one was made in the mid 30s and around worth from $400-$1,200 depending on condition. I've never fired this one or seen it fired.

What's the best way to sell these? It seems that walking into a gun dealer with them would be like selling your antiques to a dealer - you'd basically be getting a low end wholesale price, versus what you'd get in a private sale. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

Ebay, Craigslist, etc. - the usual means I know for getting rid of old gear, of course won't touch guns.

So what's the easiest way to sell these without a lot of hassle for a decent price?

do the right thing and burn them..or are you trolling? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Unless you are really hard up for cash and want top dollar from someone who can't pass a background check, take them to your local gun shop or sell them to someone you know isn't a criminal. NFW would I sell my gun to some random person I didn't know for a fact was legal to own it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

You should buy them from your folks at market value.  Scary as it sounds take them to a local dealer and get an appraisal (not High Noon Guns in Venice, Fl).  Then turn them into the local police for destruction. 

I had a welder torch my old target pellet trainer (about the same muzzle velocity as a dogballs short) from the tip of the barrel through the bolt, sawed up the stock, and threw the melted mess in the dump.  The cops would not accept it for destruction, but they advised me not to throw it away whole.  

16 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You know metal guns don't burn well, right???????

Depends on how hot the fire is I suppose.

16 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You know metal guns don't burn well, right???????

hydraulics work better, but the oldest way known to man is still a furnace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oH5Anb0ZUE

1 minute ago, Amati said:

I had a welder torch my old target pellet trainer (about the same muzzle velocity as a dogballs short) from the tip of the barrel through the bolt, sawed up the stock, and threw the melted mess in the dump.  The cops would not accept it for destruction, but they advised me not to throw it away whole.  

There you go Kent.

I don’t know why, but when I posted it, the site kept changing dogballs to Dogballs.  Are we being punkt?

edit - twenty two to dogballs

1 minute ago, Amati said:

I don’t know why, but when I posted it, the site kept changing dogballs to Dogballs.  Are we being punkt?

Editor's little joke on Tom...been that way for a while :D

B.J., you are sensible, and aware, and informed, big time. So destroy the guns. They have left their mark already. Let's get this over with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

Editor's little joke on Tom...been that way for a while :D

That makes a  me laugh.....

51 minutes ago, chum said:

I think we’ve been trolled. BJ is trolling.

The silence is deafening.

I think so!!  BJ, I might be interested in them, if you want to do a private sale, but as others suggest, you are probably just trolling, which is out of character for you??

If this is BJ trolling then it's working but I don't think so. And despite you know who and his obsession with Dianne Feinstein do you know who uses dogballs caliber weapons to commit crimes? Morons and professional hitmen.  (may include women for all I know with equal pay and working rights). There may still be a number of Saturday night specials but those were popular for a short time 50 years ago.

If it was .223 and 9mil? Different.  Some of you clowns act like it's the first time you ever saw boobies.  If I were close by I would take a look.  That being said I would like to try and shove that M1A up chum's ass.

Again with the violence.

You would have to show me the stats on dogballs caliber crimes. 

The odds any self-respecting criminal would want my old shotgun are very low, but I would not take the chance. It would only ever get sold to someone I know or through a gun shop.

This is a bolt action single shot rifle, useful for rats in the barn that disappear after the first shot.    They are totally unsuited for mass murder in a crowd.   I found one online for $45.   Can you add a bayonet?    That would increase lethality considerably.

9 minutes ago, Lark said:

This is a bolt action single shot rifle, useful for rats in the barn that disappear after the first shot.    They are totally unsuited for mass murder in a crowd.   I found one online for $45.   Can you add a bayonet?    That would increase lethality considerably.

I have been harassing the Grackels that chase the small pretty birds from our six feeders.  I scare them, then shot some BB's into the tree they have flown too a couple times, and they go away, but not for long.

BJ - I don't know what side of C-ville you folks are in, but, Albemarle County Firearms on 29 North was a reputable place when I was last there about 8 years ago.  The 2 pieces you mentioned aren't going to be worth a lot, and if you are interested in a proper disposition, I'd suggest you give those folks a call. 

Gunbroker.com will give you some idea of values, and there are many other similar sites.

15 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I have been harassing the Grackels that chase the small pretty birds from our six feeders.  I scare them, the shot some BB's into the tree they have flown too a couple times and they go away, but not for long.

Umarex X-Shot LE Slingshot with Laser

1.0 out of 5(2)
  • Sends round-ball ammo downrange at 180 fps
  • X-Grip system with integrated laser enhances accuracy
  • Handle storage holds 10 3/8" round balls
  • Push-button auto-feed system drops a ball from the handle

Edit.ediEdit,   I chose the most pimped out one I could find, so you would have maximum style points with the little birdies.

14 minutes ago, chum said:

Again with the violence.

You would have to show me the stats on dogballs caliber crimes. 

Why bother? If you cared you could take a minute like I did and do a quick search, but that would require something you don't have.

7 minutes ago, Lark said:

1.0 out of 5(2)
  • Sends round-ball ammo downrange at 180 fps
  • X-Grip system with integrated laser enhances accuracy
  • Handle storage holds 10 3/8" round balls
  • Push-button auto-feed system drops a ball from the handle

Naw, Gunz are more fun!  I have a Crosman break action pellet rifle that fires at about the same speed as a dogballs  Need to get the scope dialed in though....

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

Why bother? If you cared you could take a minute like I did and do a quick search, but that would require something you don't have.

He doesn't have "care", or a "minute"?

3 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

You have a special search engine?

Just now, chum said:

You have a special search engine?

Yes, only the best people get to use it. It's the deep state special called Google. If you decide to try it beware as it will offer up a lot of information that may make your tiny head explode. Best stick to:

Breitbart News.

CNSNews.

Conservative Review.

The Daily Caller.

The Daily Signal.

The Daily Wire.

Drudge Report.

The Federalist

I just realized that when I type period 22, it changes it to dogballs? LOL

Shoot, I’ve got Google. The rest of your reading list appears to be a bit right for you.

Just now, d'ranger said:

Yes, only the best people get to use it. It's the deep state special called Google. If you decide to try it beware as it will offer up a lot of information that may make your tiny head. 

I use Google a lot, but am trying to train myself to use duckduckgo instead, as it doesn't track you, or send you adverts similar to something you were just looking at.  Also trying to switch from Chrome to Brave, which has Private window with Tor.

• Like 1

Not a statistician, so I could be wrong, but it looks like BJs automatic pistol is used in more murders than “assault” rifles.

All that aside, there’s no way that BJ  “I like guns” Porter is selling his guns. We’re getting trolled masterfully.

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

If you haven't learned by now, the easiest way to deal with your problem once you have good advice is simply keeping it private. Unless of course, you want to discuss it for five years or more.

36 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Yes, only the best people get to use it. It's the deep state special called Google. If you decide to try it beware as it will offer up a lot of information that may make your tiny head explode. Best stick to:

Breitbart News.

CNSNews.

Conservative Review.

The Daily Caller.

The Daily Signal.

The Daily Wire.

Drudge Report.

The Federalist

The Federalist?

(thump!)

2 minutes ago, Amati said:

The Federalist?

(thump!)

Aren't they all Right Wing Propaganda Screed rags?

5 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Aren't they all Right Wing Propaganda Screed rags?

(thump!)

But the Federalist is an intellectual :lol: Right :lol: Wing :lol: Propaganda :lol: Screed :lol: rag. 

;)

Try it once!  You’ll worship Harper’s after one reading, no matter how dour, laddie! 

Och!

• Like 1

Can we get back to the disposition of BJs automatic weapon here? This is important stuff, he’s looking to you bunch of scallywags for what is very important advice.

Keep it.  That rifle is a key to a whole other world.

With it, you can hang out with other gun owners.  Go to the shooting range and listen to people bitch about the inevitable loss of gun rights, liberals, and

just the general whine of snowflakes calling other people snowflakes.

You can go to gun stores to "browse" for ammo, while talking to the clerks about how good of a shot you are, how quickly you can reload, and how the recent mass-murderer

did it ALL WRONG.  Mention how YOU could have had a much higher body count, and you'll garner the respect of all the other people "browsing" for ammo.

Go to gun shows and "accessorize" your weapon.  Much like a 16-year old kid putting a chrome exhaust tip on his Dodge, you can talk about all the mods you did to your precious, what receiver you have, the benefits of barrel length and material.  Rails are cool.  You say you have 3?  I have 5 on MY gun.  Yep, I need 5 for all my tactical gear.

Chat and rub elbows with guys and talk about "perps" that "deserve a double-tap center-mass and a headshot" because, and

don't forget to use this line liberally, "I have the right to protect me and my family."

Bonus points if you work in muzzle velocity and bullet type.

So I think you should just keep it.

Be one of the cool guys.  Man-Card.

And don't forget, always, ALWAYS mock people that call it a clip.  THOSE losers have zero credibility.

• Like 2

Based on what he has posted in the past I have to assume this is a trolling post.

If not then the best solution is a cutting torch.

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Based on what he has posted in the past I have to assume this is a trolling post.

If not then the best solution is a cutting torch.

Longitudinally- if you cut it athwarts-barrel , it can be welded together again, or so I hear-

BJ, that gun isn't worth much in this current market, maybe you get a few hundred for it with a lot of work, maybe even less. I've gone though this with a pristine WWII-era semi-auto that I inherited. It isn't worth the effort.

Since it's a family conversation piece, maybe just give it to someone in your family. They'll think of your dad when they play with it, and that's the best return on investment sometimes.

2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

BJ, that gun isn't worth much in this current market, maybe you get a few hundred for it with a lot of work, maybe even less. I've gone though this with a pristine WWII-era semi-auto that I inherited. It isn't worth the effort.

Since it's a family conversation piece, maybe just give it to someone in your family?

Wait, does BJ have a Will? Problem solved. 

@chum uh, no those are not automatic weapons, you need better bait.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

when they play with it

The essential attitude behind the gun mess in the USA.

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The essential attitude behind the gun mess in the USA.

I've no problem with people playing with their guns. It's when they use them for their designed purpose that the "gun mess" tends to embolden itself.

Just to add a little value to this thread, I bought a pound of tuna last night, I'm going to make some ceviche in a bit for the day. I've never used tuna for ceviche, I usually use rock fish, wahoo or even salmon. Anyone ever made ceviche with tuna? Does the meat hold up well to the citrus? Should I aim for escabeche instead?

Ok, maybe the Ruger Match isn’t an automatic weapon in the true sense of the word, but who ever cares about true definitions. It’s automatic, and it’s a weapon. Automatic weapon.

I have a question about guns in movies and tv ... why is it that the bad guys often seem to have a bunch of assault weapons but they still get taken out by the good guy cop armed only with his trusty sidearm? They burst into the villa courtyard, spraying hot lead everywhere, but they get killed by that little peashooter held by the last honest cop in Brooklyn, or Medelin, or whatever.

Why do we love that fable so much? In reality, isn't it usually the "good guys" who have the nuclear-powered attack robots and the "bad guys" try to protect Finland with a few Malotov cocktails and an old bolt action rifle?

And speaking of nuclear powered attack robots, why do the people who build these things in the tv shows always seem to cheap out in critical details? How much extra could it cost to add the ability for the thing to navigate a set of stairs? Do they pay $60 million for the nuclear powered attack robot and then decide "y'know, that extra $20,000 for the stair-climbing ability, I'm not going to need that am I?"

Or even just plug to the openings to the giant killer robot so that the hero can't disable it with a damned Super Soaker? Why even have a $60 million nuclear attack robot if the fucking thing isn't even waterproof?

16 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

that's not ceviche, that's some gringo bullshit. i don't understand why people use good fish for ceviche.

I respect your ideal to use cheap fish, and I do it a lot. But ceviche is fish soaked in citrus just long enough to denature the proteins. It works with low quality fish, but high quality fish makes a better ceviche. In Peru, the cevicheterias used the best quality rock fish. The cheap fish, you leave in the citrus for too long, the good fish, it's a much faster cook, soak then drain while the center is still pink. The cheap fish has to stay in the juice too long and it loses some of its brightness.

My sushi chef is from South America, trained in Japan. He made a ceviche for me once with sushi-grade snapper, just three little chunks, marinated all of 15 seconds, it was the best ceviche I ever had. That's an excellent high-end fusion, Japan meets Peru/Chile. The South American method relies on the ingredients, the Japanese method relies on the expertise of the cut. Put them together, sweet smoking Mary ...

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I just realized that when I type period 22, it changes it to dogballs? LOL

Yeah, it's been there for a long time.  Repressed/Repastried/Rerun Tom wouldn't shut up about his.... so.... there ya go.  You know who I'm talking about.  The guy who has entire conversations while no one else replies in threads that are years old.

27 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Yeah, it's been there for a long time.  Repressed/Repastried/Rerun Tom wouldn't shut up about his.... so.... there ya go.  You know who I'm talking about.  The guy who has entire conversations while no one else replies in threads that are years old.

Yes, I know!  AKA "Dogballs Tom"! :P  He's kept my thread up top from time to time, about licensing my 20 round magazine for my Mini 14, for a year or two!!

Me thinks BJ got hacked. 

6 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Hey BJ, send me a Pic of the pistol.  I might be interested.  I'm always looking for orphans to adopt.  ;)

4 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Hey BJ, send me a Pic of the pistol.  I might be interested.  I'm always looking for orphans to adopt.  ;)

RIGHT ON CUE! LOL  Tom, is that like the cat we are about to rescue from a shelter?

6 hours ago, chum said:

dogballs

Great idea for a thread, very timely.

Ive got an M1A in a Troy chassis that’s just taking up space. Im looking for ideas too.

96D7D8CE-149B-4233-B33F-E29FB15B27E0.jpeg.ecf44b412ea03f4b96746bcd7f3422be.jpeg

The M1A in the Troy Chassis does nothing for me.  However, I've been on the lookout for a good match grade M1A in its original clothing.

210142_1.jpg?sw=1350&sh=1000&sm=fit

It’s a loaded, not a match. The Troy is ok for accurizing, as I understand it. Hell, the things never been fired, let alone sighted in or accurized. 

6 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Careful you have been sucked into a profile https://www.infowars.com/trump-administration-considering-social-credit-score-system-to-determine-who-can-buy-a-gun/

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

In Peru, in my personal experience, ceviche was made with all kinds of seafood. My favorite was a mixto of some whitefish, shrimp, squid and octopus. 

sushi dipped in citrus for 15 seconds isn't ceviche.

He cut the fish in such a way that the citrus reacted fast with the fish. He first dunked it in, maybe only five seconds, just enough for the juice to adhere to the outside of the cubes, and then he drizzled. I've had a lot of ceviche in my years, and a lot of sushi. What he made definitely wasn't sushi, and it definitely was ceviche. 

Shrimp and squid is more of a Mexican ceviche, but yeah, they do use that nasty pulpo in Peruvian ceviche, no thanks. The most common fish there seemed to be rockfish, at least when I was there.

I made my ahi tuna ceviche, it was good, but the problem is the color of the meat  it doesn't contrast the greens and reds as well as lighter colored fish. If they don't have sea bass or wahoo next time, I'll probably just grab some salmon, it works well enough.

57 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

The M1A in the Troy Chassis does nothing for me.  However, I've been on the lookout for a good match grade M1A in its original clothing.

210142_1.jpg?sw=1350&sh=1000&sm=fit

That looks like one of my guns, an M1 semi-auto carbine, 0.30, by Universal. Never fired. Mine has a big chunk engineered out of the stock though, apparently for the strap.

It isn't legal for hunting larger game, not enough projectile. So my dad bought it back in 1950-something and never took it out of the box.

I inherited it, but I'm a motorcycle guy, not a gun guy, so it remains unfired.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

That looks like one of my guns, an M1 semi-auto carbine, 0.30, by Universal. Never fired. Mine has a big chunk engineered out of the stock though, apparently for the strap.

It isn't legal for hunting larger game, not enough projectile. So my dad bought it back in 1950-something and never took it out of the box.

??????

4 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

??????

It won't humanely kill a deer or ilk, too small a round, not enough momentum. That gun and round was designed to kill people in WWII in the lightest, most reliable package available.

4 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

did you miss who posted that?

fucking mikey will bullshit about anything. every fucking place I went in Peru had a half dozen or more types of ceviche

Write what you want, if you like pulpo and shrimp in your ceviche then you probably never left Fujimori's hotel when you were in Lima.

That gun can't be used to hunt large game, so maybe you should shut your dipshit mouth, or shove some tourist ceviche in there.

In this case, I have to defend mikey.  He likely refering to an M1 Carbine.

springfield-armory-m1-carbine-bb-rifle-2

MAssively underpowered pistol round in a "rifle" chassis.

main-qimg-33bfbf772e8f6863458099676797ff

I used to have one a long time ago.  I definitely wouldn't hunt anything much over a squirrel or rabbit with it.  

7 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It won't humanely kill a deer or ilk, too small a round, not enough momentum. That gun and round was designed to kill people in WWII in the lightest, most reliable package available.

Cite please - I've killed a LOT of deer w/a .30 cal round.  Edited to add - sorry Mike - that isn't the same as the .30-30, and that's what I'm thinking of. 

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Cite please - I've killed a LOT of deer w/a .30 cal round.  

See my post above

7 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

.30 carbine is legal to hunt deer with in a number of states, underpowered or not. magazine size restrictions matter in some states.

I know it is in VA & PA, but I *was* thinking of the .30-30 at first.  In VA - the restriction is based upon caliber - I could hunt deer w/a .357 pistol, anything bigger than a .223 

6 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I know it is in VA & PA, but I *was* thinking of the .30-30 at first.  In VA - the restriction is based upon caliber - I could hunt deer w/a .357 pistol, anything bigger than a .223 

My BIL in NY killed a deer with his service .357 at 75 yds or so. The .30-30 carbine dropped more deer than any other, well at least when I was hunting. My brother had an m-1, legal or not I would never use it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Just now, d'ranger said:

My BIL in NY killed a deer with his service .357 at 75 yds or so. The .30-30 carbine dropped more deer than any other, well at least when I was hunting. My brother had an m-1, legal or not I would never use it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Yep.  I would sooner hunt deer with a .357 Magnum than a .30 Carbine. I know a guy in upstate NY who routinely got a deer every year with a .357 revolver.

3 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

in fairness to mikey colorado has minimum caliber, minimum bullet weight and minimum energy requirements. .30 carbine comes up just short on energy in Colorado. I believe Montana has no restrictions on caliber.

Is there some database for all of the hunting caliber restrictions sortable by state out there? It'd seem to be something kinda useful.

I'm certain that there is, but, am too lazy to spend much time worrying about the requirements in places other than where I plan to hunt. This USFWS site has pointers to each state - but, I'm not aware of an actual aggregation - if I'm going to go someplace, I'd look up the laws there.  https://www.fws.gov/hunting/state-license.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

That's the one I have. That hole in the stock always annoyed me. Other than war and target practice in the Civilian Marksmanship Program, I have no idea what purpose that caliber has.

But back in the 1950s, my old man, along with a lot of other recently discharged soldiers, thought that invasion by the Rooskies wasn't off the table, so they armed up with civilian versions of their trusty carbines.

The CMP used to have so many surplus 0.30 carbines that they sold them by the carload to folks who did the CMP program. They even offered the folding-stock paratroopers version.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

I inherited it, but I'm a motorcycle guy, not a gun guy, so it remains unfired.

M1 carbine:

image.jpeg.c59ced0d938462bc2d046844c4b5125c.jpeg

M1A:

Image result for m1a

I don't think they look the same, but ymmv..

M1 carbine uses .30 Carbine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Carbine

49 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

The .30-30 carbine dropped more deer than any other, well at least when I was hunting. My brother had an m-1, legal or not I would never use it.

30-30 (30WCF) isn't 30 Carbine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester

You wouldn't hunt with an M1 Carbine or M1 Rifle?

A .308 will do. Mine punches hard. I don't hunt but I have no doubt it would drop a deer.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

He cut the fish in such a way that the citrus reacted fast with the fish. He first dunked it in, maybe only five seconds, just enough for the juice to adhere to the outside of the cubes, and then he drizzled. I've had a lot of ceviche in my years, and a lot of sushi. What he made definitely wasn't sushi, and it definitely was ceviche.

How does it do that in 5 seconds? It's always 30 minutes in my recipe. I don't care how you slice it, that's a huge difference.

Take 'em apart, put the different bits in different boxes, and mail them to me. I'll keep the rifle for varmint control, and sell the pistol to my neighbor, and send you the proceeds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

main-qimg-33bfbf772e8f6863458099676797ff

I used to have one a long time ago.  I definitely wouldn't hunt anything much over a squirrel or rabbit with it.  

Tommy Dogballs, is the M1 legal in CT?  I can't be arsed to look it up, but I'm sure you can recite the statute from your instant recall memory, in your sleep!! LOL

what's up BJ , you sitting somewhere waiting for the wind to blow ? <_<

46 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

M1 carbine:

image.jpeg.c59ced0d938462bc2d046844c4b5125c.jpeg

M1A:

Image result for m1a

I don't think they look the same, but ymmv..

M1 carbine uses .30 Carbine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Carbine

30-30 (30WCF) isn't 30 Carbine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester

You wouldn't hunt with an M1 Carbine or M1 Rifle?

Carbine? No. Why?  I am very familiar with all types and have shot everything minus elephant guns although my NRA brother had one of those as well. I don't hunt (unless you count nuisance hogs) and haven't for some decades. Oh and cotton mouth snakes, use a dogballs revolver or a single shot .410 for that.  My dad taught me gun safety and hunting when I was big enough to keep up and carry it. Meat on the table was a big deal for those folks. I normally avoid the gun threads but it's not because i am not very familiar with them.

7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

is the M1 legal in CT? 

M1 What?  M1 Carbine?  M1 Garand?  M1A?  M1 Abrams?  Those distinctions are important.

BTW - only one of those above uses a "clip".  The rest use magazines.  Just saying.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

A .308 will do. Mine punches hard. I don't hunt but I have no doubt it would drop a deer.

How does it do that in 5 seconds? It's always 30 minutes in my recipe. I don't care how you slice it, that's a huge difference.

Because he used sushi grade fish and cut it as only a Japanese chef can; a master's knowledge of fish muscle geometry. So a very rare cook was what made it different from sushi.

But using citrus that strong isn't part of the Japanese repertoire. So this South American dude, you know he grew up on limes and cilantro in probably every dish he ever touched, suddenly he's thrust intro the orthodoxy of Japanese sushi, and yeah, he clearly has mastered it, but you know, at home he's probably mainlining lime and cilantro the way we all do. So this asshole physicist walks into this bar, he's drunk of the dirtiest gin they had in the hotel bar, this fat fuck is showing off in front of his friends, and he asks the sushi chef for ceviche, just to be an asshole in a sushi bar like every other asshole from 1995 who unironically wore yellow suspenders.

But this chef, fifteen minutes ago was probably trying to soothe his nerves over life in the insanely impatient version of America, but this one in the Northern Hemisphere, suddenly he's face to face with some fat fuck who wants ceviche at the sushi bar. What did he have to lose? He just made him roughly the same thing he used to make for his baby cousin, who couldn't chew meat too well. Except that now he had access to sushi grade fish and sushi training from Bow Your Ass Down Because Japanese Precision Is In The Fucking House. Thank you.

He made it the same way that every uncle of every cholicy baby has ever made it in the last few thousand some years of Incan wisdom taught him to do. Baby finally has something to suckle that gives it the energy and elements it needs not to fucking die, and then baby lives another day, maybe even grows up into an Incan warrior.

But now it's the era of impatience and sick children don't suck on raw fish, so nowadays, Incan warriors sear the surface in citrus juice, but only thin enough so that the baby's lips don't touch raw fish. Then the baby sucks on this synthetic fish breat and either dies or survives. Yes, I get that there is always a possible danger of the raw fish acting as a vector for pathogens and that children shouldn't eat it. I get it. But as weak as some children are in Developing Nations with low healthcare, like say, Haiti, or Washington D.C., pathogens from assorted vectors are probably the least of their concern and the cheapest to treat, lately given investment in medicine for Developing Nations from Bill and Melinda Gates. I don't always agree with them, but their methods are proven. So the warrior gave this fat fuck what he would give a baby, and this asshole is bragging about his boat, and by some miracle he stopped talking long enough to taste it. And then he looked down at his broken shoes and his life that had no more depth than a typical plate of 1993 cocaine, and he was suddenly fixed. Just like that baby brought back from the dead by an uncle who knows what magnesium ion actually does in the functioning conduction layer of the myelin sheath in the axon nervous system, that filthy, disgusting drunkard was brought back out of that filthy fucking Bendy Toy cabin with the polished walnut and the way they keep the fiberglass so smooth.

Look, guys, I'm not going to give any specifics of my sexuality here, but when I'm in any typical 1990s era Benneteau cabin, I suddenly get this unstoppable urge to do a few rails off the ass of a stripper named "Mrs. Opheria Diagonal Substitution McCarly."

I digress ...

When you have fish of exceptional quality, preparation, aging, and cut, you can eat it perfectly raw, thus sushi. Fish of that quality only needs a tiny bit of acidity.

Ceviche is the fish equivalent of cold brew coffee. You don't need a great quality fish, you just need it to be as fresh as possible. My tuna was okay today, but that tuna was made for a quick sear and pink on the inside. It wasn't sushi grade tuna, which would have been a huge waste. But yeah, what McMoyle said is right, but there is a disconnect because I assume he isn't an inlander like me. When I said tuna, that's an expensive fish compared to whatever van be dragged in from shore. But up here, all fish is uniformly expensive. Salmon,, Tuna, Trout, Mackerel, Dorado, I guess swordfish, that's about all the fish we get up here, and it all costs $14/pound, but the supermarket sometimes picks one to discount to $12/pound.

It's not cat food money, but the rest of the dish is pretty flexible. Hot peppers of any kind, the juice which you can often swipe sufficient lemons and limes from the bartender tray to make, a little onion, sea salt, the cilantro. And if you're broke and need it to last for 4bySeven servings, then you add mushrooms and cherry tomatoes cut in half. And if you're flush then you leave it out and give the leftovers to the dog, because fucking aceterhuisenfeiffer, that's a damned good dog.

But sushi, that's more like hot coffee. A good quality bean, a good age, a good preparation, all that stuff matters, so they say. Fuck coffee, you black bitch,  you lovely delightful maiden of my destiny. Coffee has to be good and it has to fresh, just like sushi grade fish, it has to be the good stuff. And sometimes the good stuff is cheap, and sometimes the good stuff is expensive. Very expensive. But it has to be the good stuff. Because once it gets into this restaurant, we expect him to turn that very expensive fish into money, because this is an expensive town, and the kids are in school and it's not cheap to run a sushi restaurant. And it's suicide to run a cevicheteria unless you do it from a food truck parked outside of Golden City Brewery or Federal Avenue.

And that's ceviche made from a sushi chef. But the stuff we grew up on? Raw fish, pulled monkey style, there was nothing sushi about it.

My reasonable advice?  Forget selling it.  

Go sailing and drop it off over the Mariana Trench (or similar). It’s the only way to ensure that the AW’s will never present a public health hazard again.

19 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Because he used sushi grade fish and cut it as only a Japanese chef can; a master's knowledge of fish muscle geometry. So a very rare cook was what made it different from sushi.