b393capt

Racing Crew Management Software

What are racing sailboat owners using for crew management and communication (one or more applications)?  By crew management I mean:

- provide crews with a list of all the races in the season, update them when the list changes (ideally lets them import to their outlook/gmail calendar) 

- Keep track of who is available or committed to a race (yes, no, maybe) or let the crew enter that themselves, see if you meet the weight limits for a race

- Keep track of what commitments or position assignments you made to your crew, you know when you promised someone a shot at the helm, tactics, whip (what, you don't have a whip?), or any upgrade from rail meat. 

- Keep track of volunteer commitments for items on the boat (water, bagels, etc.), how many BBQ tickets you purchased for crew and their spouses, etc.

- Provide a website or mobile application where crew can go to get information about a specific race (links to NOR, Sailing Instructions, and post Race results)

- Send messages to your crew (Assurance those t-storms are not a reason to cancel, Race Cancelled, Location of After Party changed)

- Roster of email address, phone numbers, etc. such that crew can see each others contact info. (ideally updates your own smartphone contact list) 

- Place for crew to upload pictures back to captain and crew 

- Promote your team in search of additional crew

Doesn't cover everything like that, but https://Mysail.Team does a bunch of it. Just starting out in Australia the last couple of years, really meant more as a way to find crew/boats. But the founder, Deborah is really responsive and adding in features all the time. There are some great ideas there that would probably fit in nicely. It's also available as an app.

50 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Try TeamSnap. 

Teamsnap is for soccer moms.  Crew Manager is for sailors!

Full disclosure - I used to use Teamsnap for my boat and decided to write Crew Manager when Teamsnap didn't respond to update requests to accommodate unique sailing requirements. Subscription costs are the less than Teamsnap Premium, but you get your own boat website and more features with Crew Manager. Crew Manager updates and enhancements are based on sailor inputs. Instead of supporting a big business, your subscription payment actually helps a sailor!  

• Like 1

Teamsnap is ok.

Yes, http://crew-mgr.com/what-is-crew-manager/checks all the boxes, ideal for reducing the workload / reducing how good our memory has to be as we fairly manage our crews volunteer efforts as they share the sailing addiction with us.

A crew management application, written by a Super Anarchist!

We should all be checking this out.

I use Air Table. Think of it as a spreadsheet on steroids. We had a mostly new team top to bottom this year and a heavy schedule. I had it set so that users could edit select fields and add themselves. I could also add a lot of other notes, and insert and store copies of the NRs and SIs so that the entire team had access. Although it's not a tool dedicated to sailing, it turned out to be a great tool. I'm sure I'm not using it to its highest abilities either.

image.thumb.png.87ddef1b19e6a3d9715d662a2902d8d4.png

A timely post!  The features that Jubblies describes about the spreadsheet on steroids in the post above are all included with Crew Manager.  Once a Skipper adds a user to the crew, each crew member may set their availability for all the events on the calendar.  The Skipper is automatically notified  about any changes in availability, and makes crew position assignments that are displayed on the crew list for each event.  The Skipper can posts links to race documents or upload documents and notes on the website.  Since it is blog based, comments are easily added to an event with pictures and uploaded documents so the post race recap is available for all to see and share. 

I just did a major Crew Manager software update over the past week and also updated the Skipper Manual and Crew Manual.  There is now an importer so a first time user may upload an Excel template to their schedule.  This is in addition to the importer available for the All in One Event Calendar by Timely.  After using Crew Manager for a season, the Annual Event Smartcopy allows a Skipper to selectively copy events to future years, shifting the dates so it aligns with a day of the week, or a fixed date. This saves a bunch of data entry. The schedule may be easily added for display on existing standard calendars the crew may have on their phones so it is dynamically updated and no need to retype the information.

Read this link on the Crew Manager website for an overview, and browse around the site to learn more. There are currently subscribers on both coasts with their own customized sites featuring an integrated schedule and automatic crew notifications.

A 60 day no cost free trial (no credit card required) is available.  PM me if interested.  If you are ready to sign up now, click this link for the new website with annual subscription.

Below is a screen shot from a recent event showing the format and content that is possible.  

2019-10-01.png

Gee we just use Facebook page www.facebook.com/Lioness981 and email....