rhpaw

R2AK 2020

There's about 10 off of Tofino right now

Screenshot_2020-04-05-18-21-33-213_com.android.chrome.jpg

I don't think they are real boats. None of the boat names come up on a web search except for 'sailingonline'

When I downloaded an ais app, none of those boats appear

2 hours ago, CatFive said:

Screenshot_2020-04-05-19-37-38-476_com.astrapaging.vff.jpg

Yup that’s a real boat. It’s a trawler on it’s way from Dutch Harbour to Seattle.

1 minute ago, D Wayne G said:

Yup that’s a real boat. It’s a trawler on it’s way from Dutch Harbour to Seattle.

Does this have something to do with the R2AK?

You'll have to read the previous posts to get the context

32 minutes ago, CatFive said:

32 minutes ago, CatFive said:

Yes thanks. I have been following this thread. Still not sure what it has to do with the R2AK. Interesting though. 

29 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

Does this have something to do with the R2AK?

In the process of investigating this report, I learned that:

• "All Van Isle 360 qualifying races for 2020 have been cancelled."
  • April 3, 2020

Notice from Schooner Cove Yacht Club

BMW Lasqueti Island Regatta June 5-7 2020

With deep regret, Schooner Cove Yacht Club announces the cancellation of the
    BMW Lasqueti Island Regatta for 2020. BC's Provincial Health Officer and Minister of Health predict that physical distancing will be with us until late May or June at the very earliest and that expectation makes delivery of the regatta impractical.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/269685786452327/

• Swiftsure and THRASH are the latest COVID-19 victims.

• Notice of Cancellation - Blackline Patos Island Race

With the growing crisis relating to the COVID-19 and with today’s drastic travel restrictions and recommendations by the government health authorities, the race committee for the Sidney North Saanich Yacht Club has decided to cancel this year’s Blackline Patos Island Race. 

• CANCELLATION OF THE 2020 SOUTHERN STRAITS RACE

Our focus for the race has always been to organize and run an event that puts competitor and volunteer safety at the forefront of our decisions and delivers a quality experience. We will be reaching out to all registered competitors to arrange refunds as necessary.

Fuck, let's just write this year off, rip van winkle it until next year, and start over again.

Someone suggested doing an unofficial R2AK.

Someone else noticed a fleet of sailboats on an AIS tracking board. Similar area to R2AK.

The number of boats seemed unlikely, I posted a screen shot of the website showing ten boats in a fleet, and then a screenshot of only one fishing vessel in the same general area at the same time.

I do like the idea of more events along the same lines that are less organized and have little or no cost. 

Obviously the timing sucks and borders are closed, but they could be a little league leading up to the big event

6 minutes ago, CatFive said:

I do like the idea of more events along the same lines that are less organized and have little or no cost. 

You mean "racing"? I'm down as most "organizited" events have been canceled for this month. 

Im in shilshole ready to go for a race. I don't have a problem with social distancing as I sleep with my teammate (gf).

Bring your PHRF and let's do it, as long as it's over the weekend of course (man's gotta work still!). Set a course and time let's go. 

I've got a decent paying job, but flying across the country for a weekend is a little too rich for me. 

Anyone in for a 'Round Georgian Bay' race?

If everyone is raring to go, how about a Round the Island race? Stays in one country, no load on communities, and lots of beautiful country to see.

19 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Just don't take a radio or cell phone to call for help.  Have at it then!  But don't try to land in Canada.  

Bottom line is that small communities up the BC coast don’t want outsiders coming in. Period.  Haida Gwaii’s local leaders have all said don’t come here.  Other First Nations communities too -  Shearwater/Bella Bella has (I learned from my wife yesterday, who works in the medical field on the coast) only one ventilator in their hospital.  Local leaders there (like everywhere), the Heiltsuk First Nation, don’t want visitors now.  See: https://www.heiltsuknation.ca/

Very limited medical supplies for the community.  A Covid-19 outbreak in a place like that could be disastrous for them.  People in various communities here have memories of smallpox decimating populations.  Just not the time to go there, sadly.

• Like 1

I have been locked out of my boat for 2 weeks now and likely until the order is lifted in Washington.  I had so much work worked to do on it, and now I can't get anything done.  Somehow out of all the marinas that are still allowing people to go to their boat, I find the one that is locked down.  I understand their position to protect the older people there, but it definitely makes it impossible to get things done.  I am looking at moving it to another marina, but not many of them are responding to email's.  At this point I really just wish they would cancel and push it to next year.  At this point I am increasingly considering backing out until next year so I can save my money in case things get even uglier with the economy.  Right now I just want to get back on the water anywhere, much less worry about trying to fit pedaling stations for a race that may not happen.  

@SeattleB how does it work with your entry fee? I can't speak to conditions on the west coast, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't cancelled

6 minutes ago, CatFive said:

@SeattleB how does it work with your entry fee? I can't speak to conditions on the west coast, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't cancelled

Good Question...I had to look it up in the FAQ.  I think at this point they should offer 100% refunds to people that are having difficulty getting things done in time for the race (or hold it till next year).  

-Cancellations must be received in writing (email ok) 60 days prior to event.  We’ll keep 30% to teach you a lesson.

-Cancellations made less than 60 days prior to event will not be refunded

-If NWMC cancels, 100% of fees will be refunded.

In good conscience, the NWMC should cancel the event. But if the event organizer isn't self isolating, that gives an indication of how serious he thinks covid19 is. IMHO pretty disrespectful to the native inhabitants along the coast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Bottom line is that small communities up the BC coast don’t want outsiders coming in. Period.  Haida Gwaii’s local leaders have all said don’t come here.  Other First Nations communities too -  Shearwater/Bella Bella has (I learned from my wife yesterday, who works in the medical field on the coast) only one ventilator in their hospital.  Local leaders there (like everywhere), the Heiltsuk First Nation, don’t want visitors now.  See: https://www.heiltsuknation.ca/

Very limited medical supplies for the community.  A Covid-19 outbreak in a place like that could be disastrous for them.  People in various communities here have memories of smallpox decimating populations.  Just not the time to go there, sadly.

That is the responsible thing to do. Timing is not right. I would hate to be responsible for killing off a whole tribe due to my selfishness.

Does not mean that an unofficial race could be done at some stage... 

38 minutes ago, SeattleB said:

Good Question...I had to look it up in the FAQ.  I think at this point they should offer 100% refunds to people that are having difficulty getting things done in time for the race (or hold it till next year).  

-Cancellations must be received in writing (email ok) 60 days prior to event.  We’ll keep 30% to teach you a lesson.

-Cancellations made less than 60 days prior to event will not be refunded

-If NWMC cancels, 100% of fees will be refunded.

I spoke with someone who cancelled. He requested that fees be applied towards next year.

Interesting predicament... NWMC probably are using fees towards some preparation for this year. So, at what stage do they break even and say that they need to preserve the fees either for paying back or put in the bank for next year. 

It also would not be as much being at the event either if zero spectators are allowed and we can't socialize with each other.  Half the fun is hanging out in PT, Victoria, and Ketchikan.  Also its not exactly safe to know people could have it and not show symptoms until your already on the water and in the middle of nowhere.   

Bella Bella is not letting boats dock there, they turned away a couple of boats on their way to Alaska. No Covid 19 in the community and they want to keep it that way.

Despite daily exhortations from health-care officials to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic, and repeated pleas by remote communities to stay away, the Heiltsuk Nation on B.C.'s Central Coast says travellers in yachts and sailboats are still trying to access their shores — and being turned away.

On March 27, the Heiltsuk issued a bylaw banning non-residents and non-Heiltsuk from entering their territory, including Bella Bella, to avoid bringing infection into the community. Essential workers including health-care staff are exempt.

On Saturday, the First Nation turned away two sailboats en route to Alaska, and have stopped other vessels from docking, said Chief Councillor Marilyn Slett.

"I know that people are scared and trying to find a place of refuge, and maybe get away from the urban centres, but our community of Bella Bella is highly vulnerable to a COVID-19 outbreak," she said.

"This is not the time to visit Bella Bella."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/heiltsuk-coronavirus-bylaw-travel-restriction-1.5522569

20 hours ago, Ishmael said:

If everyone is raring to go, how about a Round the Island race? Stays in one country, no load on communities, and lots of beautiful country to see.

Absolutely true.  No load on communities, unless...

Here are things that have happened on my 10 trips racing around the island - on my boat or another of the Van Isle fleet - that I can recall:  A rudder broke, another rudder broke, a mast broke, an arm broke, a gooseneck broke, a capsize, an MOB, a parent dying back home, Insulin shock set in, spreaders broke, an engine packed it in, a rock was hit, another rock was hit, another rock was hit, another capsize, another mast broke, and other stuff I'm not aware of.  

Something always breaks or someone gets sick or there's an emergency back home.  Almost all of it resulted in an unexpected load on the local communities.  

From my quick mental math, here's a 5% - 10% chance of a boat not making it around and needing assistance, in my experience.  So do you want to be the one who forces the SAR folks out of Ucluelet or the CG out of Port Hardy to make the impossible choice to either come and get your or one of your buddies or to maintain their community's COVID isolation?

• Like 1

Thank you Left Shift. A lot of that happened on my watch including one of the capsizes that was a double whammy on my watch. Shit happens, lots of it, almost every time. I love the R2AK but this year it feels like we are pushing the rope uphill.

29 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

Thank you Left Shift. A lot of that happened on my watch including one of the capsizes that was a double whammy on my watch. Shit happens, lots of it, almost every time. I love the R2AK but this year it feels like we are pushing the rope uphill.

The Van Isle 360 has rigorous safety requirements and inspections for a reason.  The coastal community people are wonderful, and should not be put in a position to make that kind of a call for somebody's urge for an "adventure".

Looks like they are making an official decision on the 24th of this month.  Interesting day because its still about 10 days out till Washington is out of stay at home orders.  They also are not accepting anymore applications.  Looks to me like its going to be cancelled.  As bad as I want to go it is a very stressful time to balance work and trying to get a boat ready for this race.  

My guess is they are looking at pushing the race back to later this year as a possible option?  

On 4/11/2020 at 6:46 AM, SeattleB said:

Looks like they are making an official decision on the 24th of this month.  Interesting day because its still about 10 days out till Washington is out of stay at home orders.  They also are not accepting anymore applications.  Looks to me like its going to be cancelled.  As bad as I want to go it is a very stressful time to balance work and trying to get a boat ready for this race.  

My guess is they are looking at pushing the race back to later this year as a possible option?  

If it gets canceled, may be a few intrepid sailors will just by sheer accident start at about the same time from the same location and sail in the same direction with the same destination in mind. Not a race, but I am sure that they will all be very interested in who arrived at the destination first.

They may want to carry a motor, but will not use it. If anyone wants to go outside in a Hobie TI, it is up to them to dig their own grave. Maybe they will wait for each other at places like Campbell River, Port Hardy, Shearwater, Prince Rupert, and maybe not? Maybe only people with boats smaller than 25 or 30 ft will do this, and possibly only people who are single-handed, or built their own boats, but then again maybe not.

If they don't get apprehended at the border, they'll find northern BC towns have their own form of rough justice. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dsackman said:

If it gets canceled, may be a few intrepid sailors will just by sheer accident start at about the same time from the same location and sail in the same direction with the same destination in mind. Not a race, but I am sure that they will all be very interested in who arrived at the destination first.

They may want to carry a motor, but will not use it. If anyone wants to go outside in a Hobie TI, it is up to them to dig their own grave. Maybe they will wait for each other at places like Campbell River, Port Hardy, Shearwater, Prince Rupert, and maybe not? Maybe only people with boats smaller than 25 or 30 ft will do this, and possibly only people who are single-handed, or built their own boats, but then again maybe not.

Looks like you just don’t get it. If this race gets cancelled it is not because the organizers lack WILL but that there is no WAY. That’s because we just don’t want you up here right now. Clear?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

Looks like you just don’t get it. If this race gets cancelled it is not because the organizers lack WILL but that there is no WAY. That’s because we just don’t want you up here right now. Clear?

I do get it.

The R2AK race would have started the beginning of June and I doubt it that it will be postponed due to the logistics and uncertainty.

IF and a very big IF conditions are such that sailing the inside passage is feasible later in the year - open borders, no threat from viruses, weather conditions and a probably a myriad other factors, then such an adventure I suggested could be feasible for those that just have to do it and can not wait for another year.

No one in their right mind, or with any amount of respect for their fellow human beings will be party to irresponsible behaviors that could impact others' health. That would be stupid and border on criminality.

In no way did I suggest that any such adventure could be done while there are any threats from Covid or others. My apologies that you have interpreted it as such. Can I suggest that you go for a walk and not have jumping to (wrong) conclusions be your only exercise, or is cabin fever getting to you?

15 minutes ago, dsackman said:

I do get it.

The R2AK race would have started the beginning of June and I doubt it that it will be postponed due to the logistics and uncertainty.

IF and a very big IF conditions are such that sailing the inside passage is feasible later in the year - open borders, no threat from viruses, weather conditions and a probably a myriad other factors, then such an adventure I suggested could be feasible for those that just have to do it and can not wait for another year.

No one in their right mind, or with any amount of respect for their fellow human beings will be party to irresponsible behaviors that could impact others' health. That would be stupid and border on criminality.

In no way did I suggest that any such adventure could be done while there are any threats from Covid or others. My apologies that you have interpreted it as such. Can I suggest that you go for a walk and not have jumping to (wrong) conclusions be your only exercise, or is cabin fever getting to you?

OK  Glad we had this little chat. It seems that I as will others interpreted your first sentence as “at the same time” as meaning as the race. I can see that you meant” as each other” . Sorry..  No cabin fever. On the boat at the moment. You may have a point though as we who live on islands and in small coastal communities are understandably really jumpy about the notion of visitors for awhile. We good?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D Wayne G said:

OK  Glad we had this little chat. It seems that I as will others interpreted your first sentence as “at the same time” as meaning as the race. I can see that you meant” as each other” . Sorry..  No cabin fever. On the boat at the moment. You may have a point though as we who live on islands and in small coastal communities are understandably really jumpy about the notion of visitors for awhile. We good?

I have some friends on Bella Bella working at the hospital with the Heiltsuk people. They have been totally isolated since around the beginning of march - not even mail. As it should be.  Fortunately e-mail still works and can not spread illnesses.

I have a deep appreciation for what "western" illnesses can do to people who have not been associated with any in the past. Whole tribes can be wiped out and had been. We can not let that happen.

We are all a little edgy at the moment due to the virus, economy and what the future holds. I really appreciate your passion protecting the area. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dsackman said:

Fortunately e-mail still works and can not spread illnesses.

I'm a digital nerd and let me tell you, I would certainly contest the idea that e-mail can't spread illnesses :lol:

Anyway, let's stir some more shit up in here. I'm hoping that it doesn't happen this year. 

Why you ask? Corona? Nope. I was just never going to be ready and was always targeting 2021... Now I don't have to feel sad and depressed this year.

I have an idea I'd like to float: How about a little race to get the ya ya's out? I was thinking Neah bay would be weather mark and maybe an overnight stop as I don't like to sail at night around here. We could start from PT, or preferably Dungeness spit. We could meet there the day before and start from there. it would be cool to have it all be anchor-out to save marina fees and stop any corona spread. It seems like we could have some raft-ups without risk by staying on our own boats and washing up before and after tying our boats together. Behind Dungeness spit is beautiful and could be a great place to have a before & after gathering of boats. Racing out the Straits and back would be challenging and would make up for some of the stuff that's not happening. It should happen soon so there's wind.

I don't like being told what I can and can't do. Don't tell me to wear a life jacket (all the time) unless you want a piece of my mind, but if it's not cool to to get shipwrecked in Canada, I'm not keen to sail there. 

I think the Maritime Center is sweating bullets over all the lost events and programs. This thing has really screwed them and  their funding. Maybe they are thinking about alternative events. Anyone know?

• Like 1

Russell, a sailing expression session, sort of like the Rincon Classic, used to be before it became "a tradition".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

it would be cool to have it all be anchor-out to save marina fees and stop any corona spread. It seems like we could have some raft-ups without risk by staying on our own boats and washing up before and after tying our boats together.

The course sounds fun, ~60 nautical miles each way?  But a raft-up is a terrible idea.  Inevitably, someone will want or need to go ashore in Neah Bay and they won't be well received.  A fleet that remains anchored out (for two nights?) is likely to draw the attention of authorities.  COVID-19 doesn't give a fuck about what anyone likes or doesn't like.  It kills people!  I'm way more concerned about disruptions to retail food distribution than to non-essential activities like recreational boating.  It's a big pain for everyone but attitude doesn't guarantee immunity.

• Like 2

Maybe it wasn't my best idea, but something where we don't cross borders and don't congregate in marina's could work.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

Maybe it wasn't my best idea, but something where we don't cross borders and don't congregate in marina's could work.

I floated the idea of unofficial 'training events' earlier in this thread but it didn't take off. I'm not on the west coast. I'm not advocating for organizing events during covid19, but maybe something in the future?  I wonder if there's an existing social networking platform that would be good for organizing local events. Facebook? On a forum like this one? My idea is that people want to get together to sail, possibly compete, or just have a shared route / experience without paying a large entrance fee. 

You blokes are lucky if you get to sail.  Down here in socal they got this shit on lockdown.  Me and my pals are olde cat sailors.  We almost always fly solo, little or no contact other than an occasional obscene gesture as we pass each other.  But the Gestapo has overreached and shut down what is probably one of the safest activities you could imagine.  You got thousands of mammals shuffling around inside Costco hoarding chips and soda but somebody wants to get out in the ocean and play, you send in the stormtroopers to surround them and drag em down to the local calaboose to for with the other nefarious scallywags.  If you fellers get to do some solo work please record so we in lockdown can live vicariously.

• Like 3

An interesting phenomenon here in Nanaimo where club racing has become almost non existent over the years. Since the social distancing came into effect our club has organized Covid sailing. Single handed or double handed crews providing you live in the same house as your crew. No skippers meeting, pursuit race with pre assigned start time, first finisher wins. It has become really popular with the fleet getting bigger each week. Everybody raves about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D Wayne G said:

Single handed or double handed crews providing you live in the same house as your crew.

This is my main gripe about my area (PNW) cancelling all races - including all of the single/double handed races.

Which to me, makes no sense as my sailing partner sleeps about 1 foot away from me every night.

Although I realize not everyones' sailing partner lives in the same household as their own, some do.

Hey Mundt,  it is true we are shut down here in Ventura Co.  I had to cancel a Weta swarm I was going to host through VSC this weekend.  But, I think Santa Barbara might still be open for business.  I am not sure about the SB launch ramp, but I am pretty sure Goleta Beach is open for beach launching.  Guerdon, do you know?

Not sure bout s.b.  I might go up there and purchase a multi-million dollar shack if I find out it's open for business.  I'll check my surfline cam to see if there's activity at sandspit.  We've been doing lots of walks up there in some nice, isolated hidey holes but the harbor and beach areas have been crowded.

And yes, Ventura and the Nard are locked down.  Though some notorious individuals may or may not be investigating beach launch options...

15 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I think the Maritime Center is sweating bullets over all the lost events and programs. This thing has really screwed them and  their funding. Maybe they are thinking about alternative events. Anyone know?

I'm sure they are - I bet somebody there has considered at least once or twice that if they cancel R2AK they have to give the money back, but if they become insolvent they don't...

6 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

The course sounds fun, ~60 nautical miles each way?  But a raft-up is a terrible idea.  Inevitably, someone will want or need to go ashore in Neah Bay and they won't be well received.  A fleet that remains anchored out (for two nights?) is likely to draw the attention of authorities.  COVID-19 doesn't give a fuck about what anyone likes or doesn't like.  It kills people!  I'm way more concerned about disruptions to retail food distribution than to non-essential activities like recreational boating.  It's a big pain for everyone but attitude doesn't guarantee immunity.

Too early to get close to other people. The curve is still rising. Maybe in a few months' time...

My idea was a bit half-baked but I think something like it does have merit, especially if it can be single or double handed and all anchor-out. Saying it's irresponsible makes me want to do it all the more. 

11 hours ago, mundt said:

But the Gestapo has overreached and shut down what is probably one of the safest activities you could imagine.  You got thousands of mammals shuffling around inside Costco hoarding chips and soda but somebody wants to get out in the ocean and play, you send in the stormtroopers to surround them and drag em down to the local calaboose to for with the other nefarious scallywags.  If you fellers get to do some solo work please record so we in lockdown can live vicariously.

Who knows what's going to happen with the R2AK, but if they cancel, it seems like the entry fees should apply to next year's race. They do some pretty important educational stuff with our money and it's got to be rough for them right now.

• Like 1

S.B launch ramp is closed.  Not sure about Goleta beach.  Time for mind/sailing/boat prep.

Conceptually this sounds like fun and we are allowed to launch and sail here but crossing the border would be a whole other issue...

And just showing up and anchoring out without "officially" getting in the country isn't really something you'd want to risk, these border guys don't joke around and a "clump" of boats would probably attract attention!

I was just looking towards "you guys" on Sunday (shroud is basically "cutting through" Dungeness):

image.thumb.png.eb0ce04f2130e8736048f9a245ec8de6.png

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 3:50 PM, dsackman said:

17 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Saying it's irresponsible makes me want to do it all the more. 

Pastor Who Defied Social Distancing Dies After Contracting Covid-19, Church Says, April 14, 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/bishop-gerald-glenn-coronavirus.html

A Virginia pastor who defied warnings about the danger of religious gatherings during the pandemic and vowed to keep preaching “unless I’m in jail or the hospital” died over the weekend after contracting Covid-19, his church said.
[...]
Mother Marcietia Glenn, 65, the bishop’s wife, also tested positive for the virus, Mar-Gerie Crawley, their daughter, said in an April 4 post on the church’s Facebook page. Ms. Crawley said at the time that her father was on a ventilator at the hospital.

“It becomes very real to you,” Ms. Crawley said on Facebook. “I just beg people to understand the severity and the seriousness of this, because people are saying it’s not just about us, it’s about everyone around us.”
[...]
During a March 22 sermon, Bishop Glenn preached to a few dozen worshipers at the church [...]  At the time, the bishop was quoted by local media outlets as saying that “I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus.”

Famous last words...

• Like 1

What a crock of shit. I wasn't talking about crossing borders and I definitely wasn't talking about doing anything riskier than going to the grocery store. 

• Downvote 1

Cortez, Cortez, what a killer.

13 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I wasn't talking about crossing borders

Well some of us are on the other side so that would make it hard for us to participate, that's all I'm saying...
And I agree it's not riskier than going to the grocery store but not everyone applies logic in these times, especially not "officials" of different sorts!

54 minutes ago, Airwick said:

And I agree it's not riskier than going to the grocery store but not everyone applies logic in these times, especially not "officials" of different sorts!

Going to the grocery store is the riskiest thing many people do now, but it is an essential activity, unlike recreational boating.

The idea that this threat will completely disappear in a few weeks or months is a fantasy of those who ignore the science (mostly Republicans with their heads up their ass or those who just aren't paying attention).

Are we really hitting a pandemic "peak" — or is this a media mirage?, April 16, 2020
We're told the "worst" is over and the curve is flattening. But real-world evidence suggests a long road ahead
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/16/are-we-really-hitting-a-pandemic-peak--or-is-this-a-media-mirage_partner/

It's possible that these longstanding, seemingly self-sustaining outbreaks will soon take a turn for the better, and new cases and deaths will indeed fall off sharply. But it's also possible that the response to the coronavirus' pronounced lethality and asymptomatic infectiousness — a drastic physical separation necessary to prevent a quickly mounting death toll — means that COVID-19 will not be a normal disease with a steep arrival curve and an equally sudden departure.
In other words, there may be no peak.

People react differently to exposure. Some are asymptomatic, some experience ten+ days of severe symptoms and in the worst cases, some suffer "cytokine storms" where their immune system "over-reacts" requiring extreme ICU intervention and causing death.  It's deadly, not just a conspiracy by alarmists and snowflakes.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:43 PM, Russell Brown said:

Who knows what's going to happen with the R2AK, but if they cancel, it seems like the entry fees should apply to next year's race.

I don't agree with that.  A lot of businesses are hurting, large and small, but that doesn't justify keeping anyone's money for events that don't happen as scheduled.

U.S. Department of Transportation Issues Enforcement Notice Clarifying Air Carrier Refund Requirements, Given the Impact of COVID-19
https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-issues-enforcement-notice-clarifying-air-carrier-refund

Friday, April 3, 2020
WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation today issued an Enforcement Notice clarifying, in the context of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency, that U.S. and foreign airlines remain obligated to provide a prompt refund to passengers for flights to, within, or from the United States when the carrier cancels the passenger’s scheduled flight or makes a significant schedule change and the passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier.  The obligation of airlines to provide refunds, including the ticket price and any optional fee charged for services a passenger is unable to use, does not cease when the flight disruptions are outside of the carrier’s control (e.g., a result of government restrictions).

I think someone mentioned here that they knew someone who deferred their entry to next year. R2AK's rules stipulate that fees are refunded in the event of a cancellation. Those who can afford to may choose to support the organization by deferring their entry rather than take a refund

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 5:44 PM, dsackman said:

I have some friends on Bella Bella working at the hospital with the Heiltsuk people. They have been totally isolated since around the beginning of march - not even mail. As it should be.  Fortunately e-mail still works and can not spread illnesses.

I have a deep appreciation for what "western" illnesses can do to people who have not been associated with any in the past. Whole tribes can be wiped out and had been. We can not let that happen.

We are all a little edgy at the moment due to the virus, economy and what the future holds. I really appreciate your passion protecting the area. 

Alert Bay has a case of Covid.  Not good to hear, for such a relatively isolated place. 
https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/mayor-of-alert-bay-tests-positive-for-covid-19-1.24117387

Vancouver Aquarium could close permanently without emergency funding, CEO says
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-aquarium-closing-permanently-covid-19-1.5534238

The Vancouver Aquarium, the first public aquarium in the country, could shut down permanently within several months unless it begins receiving financial aid, according to its CEO.
[...]
The Vancouver Aquarium is a not-for-profit operation, but depends primarily on revenue from visitors rather than government support. Gustavsson said the centre usually makes $3.3 million from visitation every month, but that revenue has been lost in the pandemic.

The Ocean Wise Conservation Association, which runs the facility, laid off 60 per cent of its workforce — about 340 people — as the losses began last month. Gustavsson said remaining staff are working part-time and senior leaders have taken pay cuts in an effort to save money. 
[...]
Still, the association said it costs $1 million per month to feed and care for the 70,000 animals at the aquarium.
[...]
"Unless we were able to mobilize support from governments and others, we will have to close permanently," he continued. "If we're going to close this down in a decent way, paying all our bills and all our dues, we have two, maybe three more months."
[...]
The aquarium first opened to the public in 1956.

No R2Ak this year. Letter from the Race Boss https://r2ak.com/news/?fbclid=IwAR0h4zhK3Cjgn_xnzhP2Rnz-b0zHi5cuV_wgbmMlaNzxs5FwpiQadsNRdEE

• Like 1

There are two ways to say this:

1. R2AK and SEVENTY48 are canceled in 2020.
  2. R2AK and SEVENTY 2020 aren’t canceled, but you can’t cross the starting line until 2021. 

Either way, Race to Alaska and SEVENTY48 are not running this year. Beyond the barrage of fan/hate mail for putting off the decision until now, we’ve been working behind the scenes weighing ethical and practical issues and holding hope in a chaotic environment. These days, finding answers is like reading tea leaves while skydiving. Foregoing the near impossibility of getting leaves to stay in the bottom of a cup, when we did, we were left with answers like, “bird, Aries, purification, wheel”—oddly on par for this virus. In the end, we switched back to coffee and chose to answer the same questions we ask of racers when racing:

Can we do this? Yes or No.

Is it worth the risk? Yes or No.

Can we survive this? Yes or No.

If you haven’t guessed, you need a triple affirmative before pushing away from your last success. The first error leading to any great debacle is often a simple decision compounding into a chain of errors leading to a free-fall, tea-leaf dive reading, “spiral, anchor, knots, stop.” (Which is apparently bad.)

Race heroics are often race jeopardy, and we refuse to gamble with others’ lives without their consent. We could race; there is a route around all the closures, but, like driving with your feet, could isn’t should, and it’s not worth the risk for racers or communities along the way. 

Out of all the scenarios, pandemic was not a culprit calculated to close our races. It’s the correct and painful decision whose wake leaves us formulating our next steps. Dates are already set for next year (June 7, 2021) and barring, I don’t know, gigantic dinosaur extinguishing comets, we will be on the water in 2021 taking pictures like tourists and high fiving finishers. We hope to see you all there, and stay tuned for next steps.

In the meantime, we still plan on honoring the humans who signed up for 2020 and delighting/angering our fans by completing the bios for this year. Sure, there’s no race, but these people are still awesome, and you should know about them. We’re also working on some other content to keep ourselves busy and the R2AK nation remotely together. 

It’s an ironic/dated phrase at this point, but we’ll be in touch.

Dan

On 4/6/2020 at 9:36 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It will reach them sooner or later though. 

4 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

Are they refunding and or honoring race fees for next year?

Daniel asked that people send him an e-mail and he will follow up with the individuals. Looks like it will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

R2AK, Seventy48, Wooden Boat Festival canceled
https://www.ptleader.com/stories/r2ak-seventy48-wooden-boat-festival-canceled,68986

The [Northwest Maritime] Center also announced the Wooden Boat Festival, an annual weekend event in September, is canceled this year

“There is great uncertainty of festivals being allowed to happen come fall, and if they are allowed, the conditions may be ones that defy the heart of our Festival—being together, boats rafted up, sharing the docks, the presentations, the food court, the dance floor,” wrote Festival Director Barb Trailer in a press release on April 24.

This year would have marked the 44th festival since its start in 1977. It will be the first year the festival has been canceled in its history. 

“What is fall without the festival?” Trailer wrote. “For the sponsors, boaters, vendors, volunteers, presenters, the RV’ers, and all the people that come every year, it's part of our annual rhythm and lives.”

22 hours ago, Controversial_posts said:

It will reach them sooner or later though. 

So, you’re suggesting it’s better that it reach small isolated communities sooner, before they’re prepared or have a vaccine. Gotcha, Controversial_posts.  So, that means you’ll take the bullet sooner rather than later too?  

It was announced today that the US/Canada border remains closed to non essential traffic until at least June 21st.  Good call by  the Race Boss.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

So, you’re suggesting it’s better that it reach small isolated communities sooner, before they’re prepared or have a vaccine. Gotcha, Controversial_posts.  So, that means you’ll take the bullet sooner rather than later too?  

Controversial Posts is:

1) A known troll,

2) An intentional asshole,

3) Unworthy of your attention.

• Like 1