Lightningflash

J/80 North Americans - Sept 19th to Sept 22

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Just A Skosh said:

Yep

What boat are you sailing on? 

 

I will be on USA 1001.   Breeze forecast was bleak, but now it is looking a bit better for Friday and Sunday.

Can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the 80 NA's in 2006 on Lake W on USA 352. Was the craziest sailing I've ever seen. Massive random shifts in wind velocity and direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Student_Driver said:

Did the 80 NA's in 2006 on Lake W on USA 352. Was the craziest sailing I've ever seen. Massive random shifts in wind velocity and direction. 

ha yes, expecting quite a bit of that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummed that I couldn't swing it. GO THE TUBBY!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, daffy said:

Why would anyone sail a J-80 in a light air venue?

Typically it's not that light, especially in late September.  But without a consistent sea breeze, I don't know why they picked Winnipesaukee. 

It was an incredibly frustrating regatta.  Only time in my life I've been in a race that started in 3 knots of breeze.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, Just A Skosh said:

Typically it's not that light, especially in late September.  But without a consistent sea breeze, I don't know why they picked Winnipesaukee. 

It was an incredibly frustrating regatta.  Only time in my life I've been in a race that started in 3 knots of breeze.  

Sail in Marblehead, they start in drifters all the time! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 9:16 AM, d'ranger said:

At least they weren't J105s..... that's worse.

Have you sailed one? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, proOC said:

Have you sailed one? 

 

Of course, and if it's blowing can be a fun ride. In light air it's a snoozer thus my comment.  Can I help with anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Of course, and if it's blowing can be a fun ride. In light air it's a snoozer thus my comment.  Can I help with anything else?

B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago (I am old but mid 90s??) on the one big offshore race here from Galveston to Port Aransas a friend of mine had sold his J30 and bought a 105 - was blowing at the start, they popped the kite and were never seen again until the awards presentation. My buddy was doing bow/trimming and said it was white knuckle the entire trip and kept wondering if the chute was going to last.  I of course was on a 6 ktsb and only got to see the beginning of that epic sail.  Good times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 11:04 PM, daffy said:

Why would anyone sail a J-80 in a light air venue?

Because Fleet 1 is the largest J/80 Fleet outside Annapolis at 1 sailing venue (Buzzards Bay is up there too), they have always put on a nice event for the out-of-towners, when run as J/Jamboree, housing many of us in their homes...and their fleet is well represented at events up and down the East Coast. It’s a gorgeous venue made better when the breeze picks up.

I think it’s absolutely fantastic Fleet 1 gets up to 12 boats on the line for a weeknight series given their rural location (with 3 more potential owners looking for boats). That’s what one-design sailing should be all about...made better by flying an asym.

Indeed, it was a fun but frustrating regatta...absent of the self-abuse from crewing for the J/24 Downeast Regatta a week before. Our boat (compiled with crew from 3 fleets) rounded in 2nd twice and perhaps Top 5 in another before velocity changes and big shifts caused us to get caught from behind.

Kudos to Aegir, Shenanigans and Lek from Seattle (Kerry with the assist)...along with PRO Carter White, Fleet Captain Dave Stowe and his LWRA/WYC fleet members and volunteers!

On to 2020 Worlds in Newport - Fleet 14 picked up 1 new owner in Portland in 2019  - now we just need to find owners #4 and #5 who want to:

-add an asym boat to their Etchells and/or J/24 racing program

- want to sail asym AND one-design in our great small city

- want to tune up locally before a Worlds Regatta in Newport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J24Dan said:

Because Fleet 1 is the largest J/80 Fleet outside Annapolis at 1 sailing venue (Buzzards Bay is up there too), they have always put on a nice event for the out-of-towners, when run as J/Jamboree, housing many of us in their homes...and their fleet is well represented at events up and down the East Coast. It’s a gorgeous venue made better when the breeze picks up.

I think it’s absolutely fantastic Fleet 1 gets up to 12 boats on the line for a weeknight series given their rural location (with 3 more potential owners looking for boats). That’s what one-design sailing should be all about...made better by flying an asym.

Indeed, it was a fun but frustrating regatta...absent of the self-abuse from crewing for the J/24 Downeast Regatta a week before. Our boat (compiled with crew from 3 fleets) rounded in 2nd twice and perhaps Top 5 in another before velocity changes and big shifts caused us to get caught from behind.

Kudos to Aegir, Shenanigans and Lek from Seattle (Kerry with the assist)...along with PRO Carter White, Fleet Captain Dave Stowe and his LWRA/WYC fleet members and volunteers!

On to 2020 Worlds in Newport - Fleet 14 picked up 1 new owner in Portland in 2019  - now we just need to find owners #4 and #5 who want to:

-add an asym boat to their Etchells and/or J/24 racing program

- want to sail asym AND one-design in our great small city

- want to tune up locally before a Worlds Regatta in Newport

This!!  Fleet 1 hosted an a great event and you could tell how much work they put into the event.  This was my first big travel event in the J/80 Fleet and everyone went out of their way to make us very welcome ( including housing.)    Just too bad that Mother Nature did not cooperate. 

 

Make sure to put the Marblehead NOOD on your calendar for late July next year.  Will be a good warm regatta for Worlds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lightningflash said:

This!!  Fleet 1 hosted an a great event and you could tell how much work they put into the event.  This was my first big travel event in the J/80 Fleet and everyone went out of their way to make us very welcome ( including housing.)    Just too bad that Mother Nature did not cooperate. 

 

Make sure to put the Marblehead NOOD on your calendar for late July next year.  Will be a good warm regatta for Worlds.

My philosophy is LOCAL>FLEET>REGION>USA/CANADA....so goal #1 is 5 J/80s on the line weekly and an official Sportboat start in Portland without Etchells and other "level" oddballs.  FYI, Boothbay Harbor, like Buzzards Bay, has the stronger #s...their Annual Regatta is usually the last weekend in July, so there may be a conflict, but let's see how the schedule develops!  I'm currently talking to some of the Fleet Captains about the 2020 Schedule and Peter already put in a plug for putting NOODs on it.

Too bad we didn't meet (or maybe we did).  I'm rooting for the North Shore "squadron" - congrats on the first J/80 class start at Marblehead NOODs I'm aware of. I trimmed spin on Heat Wave, Katabatic and Gigi after this Annapolis sportboat sailor met a Cambridge girl at the 2010 Flip Flop Regatta and moved north. Know how many are now in a) Salem Sound, b) Boston and c) South Shore? 

Make sure Courageous keeps their "new" J/80s class legal and talk to them about considering making them available for regatta charter like J/World Annapolis does! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 2:07 PM, J24Dan said:

My philosophy is LOCAL>FLEET>REGION>USA/CANADA....so goal #1 is 5 J/80s on the line weekly and an official Sportboat start in Portland without Etchells and other "level" oddballs.  FYI, Boothbay Harbor, like Buzzards Bay, has the stronger #s...their Annual Regatta is usually the last weekend in July, so there may be a conflict, but let's see how the schedule develops!  I'm currently talking to some of the Fleet Captains about the 2020 Schedule and Peter already put in a plug for putting NOODs on it.

Too bad we didn't meet (or maybe we did).  I'm rooting for the North Shore "squadron" - congrats on the first J/80 class start at Marblehead NOODs I'm aware of. I trimmed spin on Heat Wave, Katabatic and Gigi after this Annapolis sportboat sailor met a Cambridge girl at the 2010 Flip Flop Regatta and moved north. Know how many are now in a) Salem Sound, b) Boston and c) South Shore? 

Make sure Courageous keeps their "new" J/80s class legal and talk to them about considering making them available for regatta charter like J/World Annapolis does! 

What boat were you sailing on?  i don't  think we met, too bad. 

Conditions at Marblehead NOOD were perfect this year.  All 3 days.  I sailed the new-to-me J/80 the night before the NOOD's started for the first time ever, so we were in a bit of a learning curve, but having 11 solid races over 3 days definitely helped.  Hardest part was figuring out how not to shrimp the kite on sets.  Did it twice that weekend.  Not Fast!!


We have 3 in Salem sound as of this fall.  We should all be racing Thursday nights at JYC as part of a mixed PHRF class, but at least there will be 3 of us.  ( only 2 this past season)

Seem to be a few around Boston but they don't seem super active.  The one of the South Shore that was in Scituate is the one that was sold and just came up to Salem/Marblehead.

Good idea on the Courageous boats.  I know someone who works there so will put a bug in his ear about it.

 

Looking forward to a fun summer leading up to Worlds.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now