Sign in to follow this  
DA-WOODY

Your version of Windows 10 is out of date .... Please someone be a Guinea Pig

You gunna just go for it not caring if you end up with Win 10 / SP win-8 ?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No !!/??

• Yes (what do I have to live for anyway)
    • No (Fuck That, Been there Started Over)

Your device is running an older version of Windows 10. To continue to receive security updates and enjoy the latest features Windows 10 has to offer, you need to update your device to a newer version of Windows 10.*

UPDATE NOW

No Not Me till I clone my SSD so I truly Can go back

TWMGrove what you Say/Advise ???

Fuck it don't do it. windows will pester the shit out of you about it. but the latest windows sucks 

Why if Windows 10 is currently getting Updates,

is it Outdated ??

My guess Something We enjoy that that they kan't disable otherwise

I Do NOT Want a Mobile Version on my PC

I would think that makes sense. they can claim a serious security update and disable some feature you enjoy. The problem with not doing it is you might not get auto-updates anymore. I would back up your data and do the update IF you want it and stick with it if you like it 

I'd like to get away from windoze entirely, but it's so glommed into my computer that I can't.

It's just as bad as a virus. It's legal malware IMHOP.

33 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I'd like to get away from windoze entirely, but it's so glommed into my computer that I can't.

It's just as bad as a virus. It's legal malware IMHOP.

I think Windows 10 is spyware labelled as an operating system. I only use Windows for iTunes. Why does Apple force people to use that awful app.

As for operating systems, I've been using Linux for the past 11-years and I am very happy with it. I started off using Ubuntu for a little more than a year, than went to Ubuntu Studio for a couple, then moved to Linux Mint which I love and have used since I gave Ubuntu Studio the boot.

11 minutes ago, QBF said:

I think Windows 10 is spyware labelled as an operating system. I only use Windows for iTunes. Why does Apple force people to use that awful app.

As for operating systems, I've been using Linux for the past 11-years and I am very happy with it. I started off using Ubuntu for a little more than a year, than went to Ubuntu Studio for a couple, then moved to Linux Mint which I love and have used since I gave Ubuntu Studio the boot.

Does it run all otherwise intended fo Win-10 programs properly ??

I have a station to Clone a HD

You can make 2 clones and upgrade one and if not liked toss it out and Bob's yer Uncle once again !!

Bad enough doing updates on HD you are using But UPGRADE'z is a Greaser Fish to Fry !!!

28 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Does it run all otherwise intended fo Win-10 programs properly ??

I have a station to Clone a HD

You can make 2 clones and upgrade one and if not liked toss it out and Bob's yer Uncle once again !!

Bad enough doing updates on HD you are using But UPGRADE'z is a Greaser Fish to Fry !!!

Unfortunately, for the most part no. There really is no all wonderful operating system that can do everything. 

As I said, as much as I dislike Windows, I still need to use it for iTunes, and and a few minor apps.  I can run some Windows apps by running Windows in a Virtual Box from within Linux, but not every Windows app works in Virtual Box.  For example, iTunes!

And that’s the scoop!

2 hours ago, QBF said:

Can I load Linux onto this machine w/o windows running amok and fucking everything up?

2 hours ago, QBF said:

I think Windows 10 is spyware labelled as an operating system........

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

........they can claim a serious security update and disable some feature you enjoy....

^^^^ This. Or downgrade the free (already paid for) version and offer you a professional/premium version, for a monthly retainer. It will never end.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Can I load Linux onto this machine w/o windows running amok and fucking everything up?

My current machine is a duel-boot with Windows10/Linux Mint.  

Linux Mint installs rather seamlessly next to Windows. However, there were a few hoops I had to jump through on this very modern machine.  When I am on my laptop this weekend, I’ll pm you some info.

Already told the story about a friend who updated and it took him 5 hours to recover his plotter driver function.

1 hour ago, QBF said:

My current machine is a duel-boot with Windows10/Linux Mint.  

Linux Mint installs rather seamlessly next to Windows. However, there were a few hoops I had to jump through on this very modern machine.  When I am on my laptop this weekend, I’ll pm you some info.

Danke Shoen.

This computer is a dinosaur, but it's all I have. (My older donosaur couldn't be revived last year.)

6 hours ago, QBF said:

not every Windows app works in Virtual Box.  For example, iTunes!

????  I've been running Fedora for the past 8 years or so and I never had a problem running iTunes in Virtualbox.  I think I had to pay some attention to network parameters to allow the phone to find the itunes server, but nothing too serious.

I've found linux variants of all applications I regularly use with the exceptions of Expedition, Word, Excel and iTunes.  For those functions, there's VirtualBox.

woodie dude get the upgrade. They   have seen some of the  old pics you post. They are telling you that with the new upgrade you will be getting some younger (legal age) pics to post.

8 hours ago, Que said:

????  I've been running Fedora for the past 8 years or so and I never had a problem running iTunes in Virtualbox.  I think I had to pay some attention to network parameters to allow the phone to find the itunes server, but nothing too serious.

I've found linux variants of all applications I regularly use with the exceptions of Expedition, Word, Excel and iTunes.  For those functions, there's VirtualBox.

I downloaded a copy of Fedora this morning and will try it out this weekend.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Danke Shoen.

This computer is a dinosaur, but it's all I have. (My older donosaur couldn't be revived last year.)

Old computers are even easier! 

Here is the direct link to Linux Mint 19.2 with Cinnamon desktop which is the version I use on my 11-year old Sony!

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=267

Newer computers use UEFI firmware that can create "issues" when installing Linux Mint, and possibly other Linux distro's.

My new laptop is an Asus Q535UD with a NVIDIA GTX1050 graphics card that creates lots of problems until the video driver is updated. Unfortunately, to do that I had to jump through a lot of hoops. My Asus laptop was designed to run Windows 10. If anyone that has one wants to run another operating system, have fun.  My old trusty Sony never, ever gave me a problem installing any Linux distro, but as I said, it is now 11-years old and has started to fail.

So has Anyone drank the KoolAid and upgraded yet ?

Any improvements or just a Bunch More Permissions Granted

Does it now look more like Windows or an iFone ?

Regrets or Happiness ???

TWManGrove do you use Windows ?

I did it. Only issue is that I lost Samba support for my 6 year old NAS. It’s Smb version 1 and Win10 only supports SMB2. I haven’t taken the time yet to see if I can update my NAS to the new standard. 

yawn...      just back up the data  (email / pics / etc )  and let er rip..

Version 1803 (the April 2018 Update) will reach its end of service date on November 12, 2019. Starting in June 2019, Microsoft says, it will begin automatically updating PCs running versions 1803 or earlier to the new version.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yawn...      just back up the data  (email / pics / etc )  and let er rip..

Version 1803 (the April 2018 Update) will reach its end of service date on November 12, 2019. Starting in June 2019, Microsoft says, it will begin automatically updating PCs running versions 1803 or earlier to the new version.

Should have allot of the Bugs worked out before its Automatic ( if connected to interwebz )