Jules

Where Has Your Boat Taken You?

Where has your boat, or any boat, taken you?

When you stepped onto the boat, alone, with friends, or with family, where did you go?

And what experiences did it bring?

Aw, c'mon.  Try.

Chicago to Mackinac Island something like 8 times.  From Chicago to Saugatuck, Benton Harbor, Michigan City, Pentwater, and back.  One time into the North Channel and to the Benjamin Islands.  Memories never forgotten.

Then there was the trip from Lake Worth, FL to West End in the Bahamas.  From there to Lucaya.  And back home.  And the squall that scared the shit out of us.

One trip into the north end of the Keys.  Wish we had enough time to go further.

The last trip was across the state of Florida.  From Titusville to Punta Gorda, through the Okeechobee Waterway.  Felt like a trip down the Amazon.

Based in Portsmouth, NH:

• As far North as Quebec (Magdalene Islands) 
  • As Far East as Cape North on Cape Breton Is, NS
  • As Far South as Nantucket

Based in Alameda, CA

• As far North as TIburon
  • As far South as SFO, 
  • As far West as 200 m past the GG bridge 

With or without the twins?

2 hours ago, Jules said:

When you stepped onto the boat, alone, with friends, or with family, where did you go?

All around southern New England and up to Maine when we lived on Narragansett Bay.

Then we went cruising and moved onto the boat.

The Caribbean (windards & leewards, Aruba), Panama, the Galapagos, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Fiji, New Caledonia, Australia.

The realtor thought I was being metaphorical when I told him I was negotiating the sale of my house from a phone booth under a palm tree on a remote atoll in the South Pacific (Rangiroa, in this case).

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.6cbf9cc48fbfd08d829556bda21ae806.JPG

• Like 4

BJ, most real estate brokers don't have enough imagination to get there

where ya at now mate?

500km along the North Queensland coast.  Seen here at Scawfell Island approx 30 NM offshore.  Among other places

Sledder.jpg

• Like 3

"...to where I've always heard it could be." From the song Sailing, by Christopher Cross. The US east coast from LIS to SoFla, and most of the islands between Bermuda and the Grenadines. Tobago Cays snap attached.

Tobago Cays 2.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

....most real estate brokers don't have enough imagination to get there

or no what methaporicale meanes.               :)

based in maine and between the my 2 boats: all over the maine coast, and most of the nice spots in the england, nova scotia, USVI, BVI bahamas. 

• Like 1

Nowhere except in ever decreasing circles,

I have taken it from Saudi to the UK.

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

Does sailing on other people's boats count?

Yes

27 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Less than a mile from the marina...

cheap seats ?

Here, there and everywhere...

14 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Based in Alameda, CA

• As far North as TIburon
  • As far South as SFO, 
  • As far West as 200 m past the GG bridge 

While there is plenty to enjoy in that bay, there is more to be had at the edges.  

I've done that loop on a windsurfer. ;-)

I am a bit jealous though... enjoy it.

West coast, Ensenada to the south, as far as Sacramento via the bay, to the north, including a good bit of the Delta, and pretty much all harbors in between.  All the SoCal islands except San Nicolas. 

Charter - BVI/USVI,  also Raiatea, Taha'a, Bora Bora.

Friends - BVI, Around Antigua, Tortola to Buzzards Bay MA via Bermuda.

1 hour ago, Windward said:

While there is plenty to enjoy in that bay, there is more to be had at the edges.  

I've done that loop on a windsurfer. ;-)

I am a bit jealous though... enjoy it.

Bay south of about San Leandro gets shallow and turbid quickly

North of Angel Island funnels to Suisun, and you are soon sailing in a river delta, 

Yerba Buena +/- 2 miles has all the variations you could reasonably desire except open ocean large waves and that's just outside the gate. 

My first boating experience at the age of 6 months was on the Aquarama  on a run from Detroit to Cleveland. 

I distinctly remember being hoisted up un the gunwhale and feeling a bit of acrophobia.

My most recent destination was Bahia Concepcion in Baja California Sur. 

50 minutes ago, Archytec said:

Just a little delivery.

Ondine snow.JPG

Oh no no no.....Tell us more please (while I put a jacket on..........)...

Mine took me from a childhood dream to a dream come true.

It was a journey. To build my own boat and to sail it accross the ocean.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 1:15 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

BJ, most real estate brokers don't have enough imagination to get there

where ya at now mate?

New Jersey.

From the Orange bouy near the boat with funny flags on it, to the green bouy a couple miles to windward, back to the green and orange bouy near the boat with funny flags on it, to the green bouy, then back to the boat.  Lather, rinse, repeat. 

That and up and down and across the Chesapeake for cheeezburgers, beers, and tiki bar drinks. Looking to take her someplace that has  clams and lobstah in the next year or two. 

• Like 1

Hawaii, Baja, USVI, British BI, Panama Canal, Costa Rica, US West Coast from San Diego to Canada, Mexico from Ensenada to Acapulco, Vancouver Island, US East Coast from Florida to Canada, Newfoundland, St. Maartin, St. Barths, Anguilla, Antigua, Norway, Germany, Denmark, France, Italy, Sardinia, Egypt, Suez Canal, Greece, Turkey, Monaco...

Not all my boat, but all on boats, 55 years of sailing and working as a captain on yachts.

Been sailing since I was a little kid with Dad on the ancient beater Hobie 16 we had.   Been in the biz and crew and captain since about 1990.   Have been across the Atlantic three times, all over Caribbean, Bahamas, VI's, up and down East Coast, Chesapeake, Maine, Florida Keys, Ireland, Portugal, Madeira, Bermuda....  All a blast.

Then the ice sailing bug bit me in about 1999.   Chasing hard water has taken me all over the northern US, Canada, and all over Europe and even to Lake Baikal in Siberia.

Have seen tons of awesome sights and met so many interesting and great people along the way....

What the hell do people that aren't into this kind of shit do all their lives?

DN GC 2014 4.jpg

IMG_1639.JPG

• Like 1

Many nooks and crannies in the Chesapeake Bay and around the Delmarva peninsula, solo.

Setting my sights on New England, next summer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Serge A. Storms said:

By the way if you want to try the hard stuff (water that is) check the following sites....   It is simply awesome.   Best bang for the buck in sailing!

https://www.idniyra.org/

https://iceboat.me/

https://theneiya.org/

https://www.iceboat.org/

what do you do with Coleman when you're off messing about in boats? I don't imagine he does cold very well

Sailpacking to N Manitou Island and the crystal clear Caribbean blue waters of N Lake Michigan.20190705_132001.thumb.jpg.4cf36e73fb5cec3e84132b98b9ff56fd.jpg20190705_132207.thumb.jpg.8718933aa995259533a41201b672b6fa.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/11/2019 at 10:03 PM, Jules said:

I was just looking at some old picture albums  ...there was a newspaper clipping  of the boat 

1991, second week of July , St Petersburg, Russia , alongside the dock ..river Neva..festival of the white nights 

On 9/13/2019 at 8:01 AM, B.J. Porter said:

New Jersey.

Me too. What exit?

I’m at 82 off the Parkway as usual

On 9/12/2019 at 9:24 AM, Jules said:

Aw, c'mon.  Try.

Well, we did a SuperMac at least once, ~45 PH to Mackinac Races, and have visited darn near every port or anchorage on Lakes Huron, Erie, St. Clair, and Michigan. Always back to the same place in the end...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keysrock35 said:

Well, we did a SuperMac at least once, ~45 PH to Mackinac Races, and have visited darn near every port or anchorage on Lakes Huron, Erie, St. Clair, and Michigan. Always back to the same place in the end...

I sure miss the Great Lakes...

10 hours ago, Sail4beer said:
On 9/13/2019 at 8:01 AM, B.J. Porter said:

New Jersey.

Me too. What exit?

I’m at 82 off the Parkway as usual

Right now I'm in Ocean Grove, right next to Asbury Park. Tomorrow we drive up to RI for a bungee visit there with family then back to VA to keep helping my parents move out of their house.

In a bout of epic fun, we were informed by NZ immigration officials that our visa would only be approved for four months, not the 7 or 8 we need to safely dodge cyclone season if we return to NZ on 10/4 as planned, so we're going to get stuck here in the US away from our home for a few more months. Location TBD.

Ocean Grove, the only dry town until Island Heights, next to Toms River...

Have a safe trip to RI and VA. Would have offered to take you out for a ride if I knew you were local...

... to the moon on gossamer wings