smackdaddy

Heavy Weather Sailing

If you've not seen Erik Aanderaa's YouTube channel - you're missing out on some of the best offshore sailing videos out there. Taking to the Norwegian Sea, single-handed, in crazy conditions, with some of the best cinematography and storytelling you'll see. Dude is the real deal.

Look for his Faroe Islands vids - just incredible.

Enjoy.

• Like 3

Heh. Your tears are my champagne, Fij.

Anyway - if anyone has anything better - post it. I have my doubts.

You mean while you're tucked safely in your lounger sipping cocoa, casc? Sure - I'll tell him.

Anyway, just thought I'd share as this guy has some great videos of stuff you never see in YouTube sailing...

It's what real sailing looks like. Take it or leave it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

It's what real sailing looks like. Take it or leave it.

The fuck do you know what real sailing looks like?  You've never left your harbor

If you've got anything of your own better than the above, Clean, post it. I'd love to see it.

If nothing else, you can learn a lot about production quality and storytelling...and sailing.

12 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

If you've not seen Erik Aanderaa's YouTube channel - you're missing out on some of the best offshore sailing videos out there. Taking to the Norwegian Sea, single-handed, in crazy conditions, with some of the best cinematography and storytelling you'll see. Dude is the real deal.

Look for his Faroe Islands vids - just incredible.

Enjoy.

Meet David and Karen Bowes, the anti-Erik Aanderaa.  Tie your cashmere sweaters tightly over your shoulders - it’s going to be a crazy ride!  Don’t spill your martinis - they’ll stain the chamois cockpit cushions.  (Poor guy had to wait an eternity, six months, to have the boat built for him :-) )

• Like 4

(And, not to be critical, but I wanted to hear more about the Viking festival he sailed to the Shetland Islands to go see - the very brief scene with all the torches!  Looks like a good time.)

DC0681A7-F8F5-4889-8705-1CA71A5214C4.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

(And, not to be critical, but I wanted to hear more about the Viking festival he sailed to the Shetland Islands to go see - the very brief scene with all the torches!  Looks like a good time.)

6 minutes ago, Mid said:

Here’s the actual one in Shetland - just looked it up - never heard of it.  Looks fucking cool. (The vid on the page is quite interesting, in fact, with a bit of the back story - it’s not all about just fire :-) )

https://www.shetland.org/things/events/up-helly-aa/lerwick-up-helly-aa

“There will be no postponement for weather". That's a defiant boast by Shetland's biggest fire festival, considering it's held in mid-winter on the same latitude as southern Greenland. But it's true: gales, sleet and snow have never yet stopped the Up Helly Aa guizers of Lerwick from burning their Viking galley - and then dancing the dawn away.”

6CAC9B84-9289-4808-9A23-EDA2549BBAEF.jpeg

All good , and a celebration of sailors who have passed in the preceding year .

Valhalla

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I mean. Up Helly Aa is just about the coolest thing on the planet - and I'd never heard of it much less seen it. Also, as you'll see, his drone work is just phenomenal.

To your cashmere/martini point above, he's got another video where he specifically mentions "no bikinis, no cocktails, just cold and sailing". I really like the guy's attitude. I mean how can you not appreciate the tagline...?

Heh.

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Meet David and Karen Bowes, the anti-Erik Aanderaa.  Tie your cashmere sweaters tightly over your shoulders - it’s going to be a crazy ride!  Don’t spill your martinis - they’ll stain the chamois cockpit cushions.  (Poor guy had to wait an eternity, six months, to have the boat built for him :-) )

I'd hate to be on a boat with her, grimacing like that all the time

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I mean. 

Reality TV type stuff isn’t my bag, and he does have the reality TV “shtick”, a very polished...sometimes almost campy, over-dramatized presentation style (in my view - but that’s what seems to sell nowadays)...but seems like he’s got real sailing cred, and the vids are instructive for short handed and heavy weather sailing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

The fuck do you know what real sailing looks like?  You've never left your harbor

I believe he was gone last year for a good run of the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Panhandle with his sons on a Hunter named MoonRaker or something like that. He definitely left Harbor, I saw it on YouTube.

Have to keep facts straight here in Shitville.

19 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I believe he was gone last year for a good run of the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Panhandle with his sons on a Hunter named MoonRaker or something like that. He definitely left Harbor, I saw it on YouTube.

Have to keep facts straight here in Shitville.

Ah, it doesn't matter Sail4. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I couldn't care less what Clean or anyone else like him thinks.

I just like great sailing. Always have. And I share it when I see it.

Cheers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Looks like plenty of storage space for all his Grey Poupon. 

35 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Ah, it doesn't matter Sail4. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I couldn't care less what Clean or anyone else like him thinks.

Cheers.

That would be great but you posted a boring video of a guy going out for a routine afternoon sail, testing his cameras,  and flogging his mainsail. 

I shall petition the moderators to remove this thread! 

Great, a PHRF protest. Go figure. Heh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Great, a PHRF protest. Go figure. Heh.

The vid is clickbait. Boring. Not much weather. Nice day for a sail.If he said "going sailing" then it wouldnt be clickbait.

That's not boring. If you've got something better to show - put it up.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

Cheers.

Maybe they are unaware of how tough and cruel life can be and can’t see the beauty in a simple sail.

It’s not very exciting, but a view I’ll likely never see front my cockpit, so it was a good choice. Thanks!

• Like 1

I’m basically not a vid watcher unless it’s something useful/informative - that's just me.  No patience unless it’s a really good story.  But when he opens a vid saying, “Once again, here to relieve you from Bahamas boat snorkelling...[boat crashes in big waves in murky light]...beach parties...[wind howling in background, distorting the sound, narration in dark with headlamp]...and good recipes [shaky camera as a spoon digs out a bunch of beans unceremoniously dumped into a pot]” - I’m laughing.  He’s right on.  99% of the sailing shit I’ve seen on YT is shit.  At least he’s *trying* to make it interesting, filming solo outings, in winter, in some challenging conditions.  “I’m here to take you on a trip across the ferocious North Sea, in wintertime.”  He starts by scraping off snow and ice.  

As viewer, I’m certainly 110% more interested than the S/V Delos (etc.) nonsense for my limited eyeball time. 

Here’s the one:  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

When I'm sailing in not boring weather, I don't have the camera rolling...

10 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Sorry, you're on ignore...

Anyway, thanks but no thanks.

Which one? I have both of them on ignore. 

5 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

When I'm sailing in not boring weather, I don't have the camera rolling...

Exactly. That's why Erik's videos are all the more compelling.

2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Looks like plenty of storage space for all his Grey Poupon. 

Pretty sure Erik Aanderaa would eat straight Grey Poupon, stone cold, in winter, right outta the jar, while slamming into winter seas.

And make a video about it with stirring, dramatic background music and a serious narration tone of voice that would have you on the edge of your seat waiting to know what happens next  :-) :-). Mano a mano sailing with the Grey Poupon Garcia yachters delicately sipping Chardonnay :-)

• Like 1

That Gray Poupon guy owned three boats before that one, and lost one during a transAtlantic crossing to collision with a whale. I think he might even eat gray poupon straight outta the jar too--even with his cardigan around his shoulders.

If his wife would let him! 

Seem like nice, yet ignorant yacht buyers in the video.

7 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

That Gray Poupon guy owned three boats before that one, and lost one during a transAtlantic crossing to collision with a whale. I think he might even eat gray poupon straight outta the jar too--even with his cardigan around his shoulders.

He said in the vid the whale hit him.  He didn’t hit the whale.  Whale’s fault. :-)

I’m just saying Erik is, shall we say, much less posh (but very self-conscious of performing for his camera —as any good YouTuber is).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mad said:

Which one? I have both of them on ignore. 

Metoo, I got away before they raped me!

10 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

He said in the vid the whale hit him.  He didn’t hit the whale.  Whale’s fault. :-)

I’m just saying Erik is, shall we say, much less posh (but very self-conscious of performing for his camera —as any good YouTuber is).

Poupon Out Sauerkraut Home?

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Pretty sure Erik Aanderaa would eat straight Grey Poupon, stone cold, in winter, right outta the jar, while slamming into winter seas.

And make a video about it with stirring, dramatic background music and a serious narration tone of voice that would have you on the edge of your seat waiting to know what happens next  :-) :-). Mano a mano sailing with the Grey Poupon Garcia yachters delicately sipping Chardonnay :-)

Poupon? Are you kidding me? This is actually what Erik eats out of the can underway - cold...(in one of his vids)

Trondheim-brun-lapskaus-stew-norwegian-b

He's essentially the Chuck Norris of sailing.

Focusing on the freakin' leach of the sail or the background music is like focusing on whether Brian Lima's socks match as he's just about to knock your marrow out onto the pitch.

PS - That whale that hit the Cardigan Couple - it's in that can.

Who is Brian Lima? Oh the humanity...

2 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Who is Brian Lima? Oh the humanity...

BlandHelplessKitten-small.gif

Oh, he plays one of them British games. "Pitch" gave it away :-P

• Like 1

He seems very good at hitting people when they are not looking. And he falls down in the end zone a lot.

Bloody fast though  

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Poupon Out Sauerkraut Home?

Don’t know if you remember the crazy Norwegian Viking who “ate” bitter sauerkraut after all his adventuring some years ago?  Nearly died around Antarctica - others did when their big steel boat, “Berserk”, sank.  The so-called Wild Vikings had some truly bad weather down there.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/4709377/Three-die-in-Viking-yacht-off-Antarctica

Let’s hope this guy, Erik the Viking, keeps safe with his winter voyages.

I'd say you're talking about a completely different can of Lapskaus.

I'm sure there will be safety nannies that will nitpick Erik (though they probably won't understand his background) - but those Berserk guys, unfortunately, just met the inevitable end of the road they were careening down completely out-of-control.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Aussie rules football. 

4 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Aussie rules football. 

I can't really tell the difference between the various versions of rugby. If there are non English non American accents I just wave my hands and say, "which one?"

• Like 1

Just now, fastyacht said:

I can't really tell the difference between the various versions of rugby. If there are non English non American accents I just wave my hands and say, "which one?"

I agree with you there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, woahboy said:
21 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Aussie rules football

Rugby, it’s played all around the world. 

Not sure how you jumped from British games to Aussie though, the clue was in British/English. :lol:

21 hours ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

He seems very good at hitting people when they are not looking. And he falls down in the end zone a lot.

Bloody fast though  

Falling down in the end zone is quite good.

Just a word of advice Parma...you better leave the harbor soon or Clean will be all over you. Heh.

What everyone thinks their youtube sailing footage looks like:

VOR.jpg.e6e6c65fbdc708d025606182d9e75378.jpg

What everyones footage actually looks like:

fat-man-boat.jpg.137231c7b58693a4762500bf6c0c3f48.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

No, Union.

Here we go, mate.

35 minutes ago, Psycho Tiller said:

What everyone thinks their youtube sailing footage looks like:

VOR.jpg.e6e6c65fbdc708d025606182d9e75378.jpg

What everyones footage actually looks like:

fat-man-boat.jpg.137231c7b58693a4762500bf6c0c3f48.jpg

Not everyone.

I don't care how ballsy you think you are, doing any kind of winter-time crossing - single-handed - in the North Sea is impressive. That's why I like this guy's videos. He pushes things - but in a smart way.

Here's that video I was looking for earlier. The difference between what he's doing and what pretty people in the tropics are doing...

And Lapskaus features prominently.

What was that British survivalist dude's name that did something similar and his Chubby Girl washed up in Ireland or something with video of his last moments before rescue?

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

What was that British survivalist dude's name that did something similar and his Chubby Girl washed up in Ireland or something with video of his last moments before rescue?

Doesn't ring a bell.  Only similar type person I can think of is Chay Blyth (first to row the Atlantic?), a Royal Marine or SAS guy or something?

On 9/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, smackdaddy said:

Poupon? Are you kidding me? This is actually what Erik eats out of the can underway - cold...(in one of his vids)

Trondheim-brun-lapskaus-stew-norwegian-b

Focusing on the freakin' leach of the sail or the background music is like focusing on whether Brian Lima's socks match as he's just about to knock your marrow out onto the pitch.

PS - That whale that hit the Cardigan Couple - it's in that can.

what else do you need except the nutritional value of some vegetables, that's a king's banquet compared to the dog food I've eaten at home on more than one occasion. it was actually pretty good.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 2:54 PM, smackdaddy said:

This is also quite a boring vid (as some perhaps rightfully argue Erik’s vids are boring, compared to say Volvo Ocean Race stuff). But guaranteed not a boring experience for the guy actually doing the action  :-)

Definitely not boring to me. I'm a sport climber - I get it. I'm not a fan of free-soloing (like this guy House, Alex Honnold on El Cap, etc.) - but these kinds of videos are very far from "boring".

You can only think these videos are "boring" if you have no clue what's involved. If VOR is your only standard - you are either an actual VOR racer, or purely a spectator on a sofa.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:14 PM, smackdaddy said:

Just a word of advice Parma...you better leave the harbor soon or Clean will be all over you. Heh.

My video got just as many likes as your did.

So there!

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, smackdaddy said:

Which brings up two very unrelated —yet surprisingly once related— topics.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 10:36 AM, smackdaddy said:

Definitely not boring to me. I'm a sport climber - I get it. I'm not a fan of free-soloing (like this guy House, Alex Honnold on El Cap, etc.) - but these kinds of videos are very far from "boring".

You can only think these videos are "boring" if you have no clue what's involved. If VOR is your only standard - you are either an actual VOR racer, or purely a spectator on a sofa.

yup.  Cue the "that's not heavy weather, I've been out in plenty more" armchair experts.  

North Sea in winter - bring your heavy, pre-stained set of underwear!

That Honnold El Capitan documentary scared the crap out of me.

• Like 1

So does F10 count as "heavy weather"? Heh.

Dude's got balls of steel.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:54 AM, smackdaddy said:

I must be getting old.

It gives me the shits when someone pulls a camera out while racing!

Had one bloke who filmed every meal and drink along with himself against the sails, the ocean and/or the sailors working the boat behind him,  then spent the next half hour with his phone and a separate wifi hotspot from a different carrier trying to upload the pics from the middle of the ocean.  The whole lot (him included) newly got tossed overboard.

Maybe it's just a generational thing,  but I respect those who were there and did that but DON'T HAVE THE PICTURES!

• Like 1

Yep, you're old. Heh.

Seriously, I follow A LOT of sailing channels. And there are a huge number of them now with the younger generation coming up - way above what was going on in the FLICKA and DOVE generation.

But think about it, even back in the day Robin, Tania, and even Moitessier, etc. were snapping selfies for eventual books, etc. (you know, before wifi)...

40308-R1-24-24-1024x692.jpeg

the-final-leg-to-LA-Small-1.jpg

joshua.00.jpg

So, this is certainly nothing new. The mode of communication has just changed.

Even so, very few channels out there now show any kind of hardcore sailing. Usually when it gets bad - even a squall - this new generation drops the camera and holds on for dear life, then talks about it later while sipping a D&S and staring intently into the camera.

Erik shows exactly what's it's like to be in the North Sea in F10 conditions. You just don't get that hardly anywhere else. And that's an important thing to see. Lots to learn if one pays attention.

Whether one likes the style or not is immaterial. It's great for people to see how boats do in these kinds of conditions when sailed by good sailors.

Now, I'll get off your lawn. Heh.

Also Alain Colas. He made a trademark of heavily documenting his sailing, filming himself, and editing the footages with inspired (borderline cheesy, but that was the norm then) narratives. It quickly won him the non-sailing public attention, and incidentally funds raisers interest. It was during the seventies. It's not about generation, but communication indeed. Today, the hardware is cheaper and more available, that might be why it looks like a generation specificity. 

• Like 1

And I enjoy Erik vids too. Obviously the content is refreshing, impressive, and quite a step amay from the bazillions I-roast-my-balls-in-the-sun theme. Technically speaking, he might not be the best cinematographer among the myriads of sailing channels, but he's still one of the best, and most importantly his work has a unique feel to it. He has an identity. I even like the coldish, clamped color grading.

Overall I'm just glad all those guys are documenting their sailing. It brings interest to the sport. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TUBBY said:

I must be getting old.

It gives me the shits when someone pulls a camera out while racing!

Had one bloke who filmed every meal and drink along with himself against the sails, the ocean and/or the sailors working the boat behind him,  then spent the next half hour with his phone and a separate wifi hotspot from a different carrier trying to upload the pics from the middle of the ocean.  The whole lot (him included) newly got tossed overboard.

Maybe it's just a generational thing,  but I respect those who were there and did that but DON'T HAVE THE PICTURES!

I know what you mean, in a way - those who are too busy taking pics to “be present”, an increasingly difficult thing to do in our screen-focused, information-saturated culture.  Put down the fucking phone and trim!!! :-)  (I’m guilty of this too sometimes.)

But I think the selfie is just sort of a human thing, documenting the experience of “being there”.  For Van Gogh, for example, in one of his many self-portraits, the one with the bandaged ear, his “there” was (I suppose - only he would've known) his increasing mental instability due to the effects of plumbism.

For Yves Gelinas, he was a filmmaker and sailor who wanted to show what his solo experience through the Roaring Forties was like.  His “self-portrait”. Well worth a watch — old school film, brilliantly shot with kite cameras, etc.  The sometimes cheesy narration makes the endearing, in a way.  https://www.bwsailing.com/cc/2014/10/the-film-with-jean-du-sud-around-the-world-re-mastered-in-hd/

(Another old school film worth watching with heavy weather footage —early small boat circumnavigation of Antarctica—  is the recently released “Following Seas”, about the impressive voyages of the Griffiths on “Awahnee” back in the 1950s/60s.  Google it for other options to watch.)  Impressive camera work - heavy old film cameras!)

(And let’s not forget probably the best early example of heavy weather footage, the Peking Battles Cape Horn...seriously impressive camera work.)

384BF924-0B00-4D8C-B02A-8D40587B4C7C.jpeg

• Like 1

I didn't know Awahnee had been lost - that was a famous boat BITD.

I believe it was the first ferro boat to circumnavigate.

On 9/13/2019 at 2:41 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Reminds me of the Greta thread.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 11:11 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Which brings up two very unrelated —yet surprisingly once related— topics.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Erik before he goes to sleep each night.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Erik shows exactly what's it's like to be in the North Sea in F10 conditions. You just don't get that hardly anywhere else. 

Bullshit. F10 is going to be the new Tradewinds. Saint Greta told me. 

21 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Bullshit. F10 is going to be the new Tradewinds. Saint Greta told me. 

You may be right about that, cupcake.  Gigantic cat 4 Hurricane Lorenzo very curiously forecast to head NE (not west).  And lowest pressure and strongest winds ever recorded for an eastern Atlantic Hurricane.

Lorenzo '19 is a record setter
Dorian '19 was a record setter
Michael '18 was a record setter
Ophelia '17 was a record setter
Irma '17 was a record setter
Harvey '17 was a record setter

There's something happening here. What it is, isn’t exactly clear.  Said some meteorologist who was probably exaggerating.  Not.

D76DD6F4-BDFF-4BF3-9ECF-B936815737F5.jpeg

Well Erik will be certainly be happy. 

Thanks for the graph. No climate change discussion is real without them. What app do you use to make yours?

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Well Erik will be certainly be happy. 

Thanks for the graph. No climate change discussion is real without them. What app do you use to make yours?

Who brought up climate change - I was just quoting a cautious atmospheric scientist who noted the data and said no one really knows what’s going in.

Graph courtesy of......er, that’s not a graph.  US met office NOAA - national hurricane centre forecast site - hurricane forecast track:  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/000424.shtml?tswind120#contents

• Like 1

Jeez - take it PA, LB. Who cares?

41 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Jeez - take it PA, LB. Who cares?

Which of his socks is going to bring it up there again?

16 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Which of his socks is going to bring it up there again?

As you so eloquently frame it, Ish - Fuctifino.

Socks are for chumps.

Socks are for losers who can't accept that no-one is interested in their drivel.

They think that if they can just get that perfect screen name then they will be recognized for the stable geniuses that they are.

• Like 1

Holy hell it's crazy good looking out on the Norway coast.    Most Excellent drone work.   This guy gets it -NBJS.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, smackdaddy said:

Enjoy.

I've been watching his videos for a while.  He's crazy! :D

The worst kind of yacht broker customer.  :-) :-)  Thank goodness he didn’t buy the Bavaria...

https://scandinavianmariner.com/blog/sailing-singlehanded-on-the-north-sea

“The sales representative said the Contessa was not fit to live onboard since it was dated and uncomfortable. He then tried to sell me a Bavaria instead. I didn't get what he was on about and subsequently bought the Contessa 35 on the spot. The yachts offshore capabilities was the most important and I didn't care much for comfort.”

Knowing his experience and background - here's what makes him good:

I have no other plans other than to continue to do what I do now. To develop as a sailor and become better all the time is really what it is about. Offshore sailing is definitely driving me forward.