chrismSD

Retirement Locations that include Small Boat Opportunities

Hello anarchists of the small boat world. I currently live in San Diego and I'm on the search for cool retirement locales that will be fun, have opportunities for sailing, and allow my dollar to go farther than it goes in southern California. Wide open to suggestions. Many thanks.

Literally anywhere besides California?

The Great Lakes are nice in the summer, there are different cultures in different areas as far as sailing goes. Greater Detroit-Port Huron area is pretty middle-of-the-road cost of living, winters are harsh but taxes are okay. Chicagoland is pretty pricey but gorgeous in the summer; Milwaukee, Wisconsin/Minnesota finger lakes are a possibility, Cleveland-Toledo and Michigan's West Coast are okay too.

I've heard that the sailing scene in the great plains is taking off, there are lakes outside of Denver and even in Oklahoma that host boats big enough for PHRF; cost of living is probably even better if you stay out of major metropolitan areas, cons is that it's pretty light.

• Like 1

Thanks much for the response. I think my blood has gotten pretty thin living in San Diego so a long winter wouldn't work...so maybe four seasons with a short and mild winter. Excellent ideas; thanks again.

There aren't many places your dollar will go farther than in eastern North Carolina, and the sailing grounds are phenomenal.

Decent inland sailing near Raleigh as well, if you're not into going rural.

• Like 4

Thanks for the response - that area has been part of my thought process. I grew up on the east coast and would spend a week or two at the Outer Banks each summer, very cool area. Coincidentally I'm going to be in Charleston and Savannah next week.  Don't want to be in a rural area, need some city life since I've been living in downtown San Diego for a decade. I've gotten used to walking for all I need. Thanks again - much appreciated.

• Like 1

yes, I'm looking forward to checking it out this week. thank you.

Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, Philippine Islands. Great sailing. Racing. Yachts and dinghies. Diving. Great expat yacht club. Living is almost free when compared to anywhere in the USA.  Beer and pizza. Internet. English language. No need for a car. Never cold. Reasonably typhoon safe. Super friendly. The USA politely sends the SS payments. Did I say fun? It will blow your mind...promise.

• Like 2

Wow; that sounds pretty idyllic. Had not considered the Philippine Islands but they are now on my radar. Thanks much.

After you see some other places, you will realize that you are already in the place where everyone wants to live. You will rue the day you left such a great place to live. Figure out to live on less but DON'T MOVE!

• Like 5

Miami/Biscayne bay. Dinghy sailing all year. Olympic sailors train and sail here for the winter. Can live here affordable or expensive, you choose.

Auckland NZ, Sydney in Australia both have outrageous sailing scenes. Some spots in Spain, and in France as well.

• Like 1

Park City, Utah. Great summers, mild winters with the sun (roads clear by early afternoon after every snow fall), skiing and sailing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xonk1 said:

After you see some other places, you will realize that you are already in the place where everyone wants to live. You will rue the day you left such a great place to live. Figure out to live on less but DON'T MOVE!

100%

What an amazing story!

Not Texas!! It is hot!! Lousy wind!! Polluted bays!! Zebra mussels and toxic algae in the lakes!! . Horrible traffic!! High housing prices!! No restaurants except Tex Mex ( beans and rice with cheese). Nasty bugs!! Poisonous snakes!! Coyotes!! Bobcats!! Air pollution!! Mexico is sending all its bad people here.... murderers, rapists ... although some are good people. 

You would much happier in Alabama!!! At least they have football teams that win. Of course, where you live now, nobody expects that 

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

Not Texas!! It is hot!! Lousy wind!! Polluted bays!! Zebra mussels and toxic algae in the lakes!! . Horrible traffic!! High housing prices!! No restaurants except Tex Mex ( beans and rice with cheese). Nasty bugs!! Poisonous snakes!! Coyotes!! Bobcats!! Air pollution!! Mexico is sending all its bad people here.... murderers, rapists ... although some are good people. 

You would much happier in Alabama!!! At least they have football teams that win. Of course, where you live now, nobody expects that 

Texas=bbq 

And Gouv, you aren’t exactly advertising very well for your Easter regatta 

1 minute ago, bill4 said:

And Gouv, you aren’t exactly advertising very well for your Easter regatta 

It is early... before big season or summer heat on the cleanest lake in the state and we have chocolate bunnies!!! 

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

You would much happier in Alabama!!! At least they have football teams that win.

"Alabama, will most likely be hit much harder than anticipated."  

20190904-trump-map-sharpie-ap-773.jpg

3 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

It is early... before big season or summer heat on the cleanest lake in the state and we have chocolate bunnies!!! 

A 30 hour drive for me. Maybe I will surprise you! But not if you are sailing that Air-o ....

10 minutes ago, bill4 said:

A 30 hour drive for me. Maybe I will surprise you! But not if you are sailing that Air-o ....

Maybe I will surprise you but not if you insist on sailing the Runner Up Boat At The Olympic Evaluation.

53 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Maybe I will surprise you but not if you insist on sailing the Runner Up Boat At The Olympic Evaluation.

Noting the Laser won the Athletic Suitability and Performance categories - ie the sailing parts. Admirable for a 50 year old bitch.

Anyway - San Diego rocks. (Roll Tide and Hook ‘em Horns notwithstanding)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bill4 said:

Sour grapes

Not at all.

I was delighted that the Aero won the Olympic Trials, but I am also immensely relived that it will not be in the Olympics.

Sarasota, get a cheap place and join the  SSS.  Or Seabrook Texas, nice dingy club with some week-day clear lake dingy sailing options.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sushi said:

Sarasota, get a cheap place and join the  SSS.  Or Seabrook Texas, nice dingy club with some week-day clear lake dingy sailing options.  

This is a great idea except that summer is almost unendurable in these places. The air conditioning will run up your electric bill to the point of curtailing funds available for sailing.

Another idea is to put 'location' on the second tier of priorities, and look for sailing clubs and/or programs that you want to be part of... maybe you can be a volunteer if your retirement is covering 3 hots+cot...

FB- Doug

If you were in the UK I'd say Norfolk,  you can race all year round,   for less than £400 including  membership and boat park fees. 

Unfortunately, housing the house price in Norfolk  is £250,000, and you probably wouldn't like our taxes.. 

Western Carolina Sailing Club on Lake Hartwell (Georgia-South Carolina border @ I85) is high on my list. Really great club facilities for dinghies and keelboats. Low housing prices near the club and good support for daily necessities. Reasonable distance to a lot of other clubs, inland and coastal. Low hurricane risks. 

Been meaning to look at whatever that place in TX is that has a community fleet of 30 or so RS Aeros is all about. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Western Carolina Sailing Club on Lake Hartwell (Georgia-South Carolina border @ I85) is high on my list. Really great club facilities for dinghies and keelboats. Low housing prices near the club and good support for daily necessities. Reasonable distance to a lot of other clubs, inland and coastal. Low hurricane risks. 

Been meaning to look at whatever that place in TX is that has a community fleet of 30 or so RS Aeros is all about. 

Second that. Western Carolina Sailing Club is set on a wide area of a big lake. The surrounding area has plenty of what people want in a home and much less expensive than the norm. I lived for 12 years across the lake in Georgia.  Loved the area. But the sailing business lured me to Florida.

17 hours ago, bill4 said:
19 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Texas=bbq 

?? Last time I was in Texas, they tried to give some kind of torched sheep and called it "BBQ"

FB- Doug

33 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

?? Last time I was in Texas, they tried to give some kind of torched sheep and called it "BBQ"

FB- Doug

Then you went to some kind of wrong place! Try Franklins:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/millionmilesecrets.com/inspiration/best-bbq-in-usa/amp/

And I am Scottish - leave torturing sheep out of this conversation. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

A lake that is liquid year round beats a lot of other places in the winter. 

• Like 1

Vermont is probably cheaper than SD, has tons of sailing on Lake Champlain. Yacht club membership is cheap, and downtown Burlington has the Community Sailing Center. Might be too much Winter for you.

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bill4 said:

Then you went to some kind of wrong place! Try Franklins:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/millionmilesecrets.com/inspiration/best-bbq-in-usa/amp/

And I am Scottish - leave torturing sheep out of this conversation. 

Y'know, some of that stuff is pretty good, and I don't care if you call it "BBQ" or whatever.

The best BBQ in this world is found in a dozen or so places around eastern NC, and I'm not going to tell you where. Fuck it. They don't need your business, and I don't like having to wait in line.

FB- Doug

[edit to add] I think in Texas they keep the meat for themselves and serve outsiders the charcoal. I've never even had steak ordered rare in Texas that wasn't burnt to fuck and back

• Like 1

Southeast coast.  Charleston, Beaufort, Savanna, Hilton Head areas. Lots of sailing clubs and not too far from the Florida regatta scene. Of course you have to deal with hurricanes. If you have the resources one option is to have a small second home in the mountains or inland areas on a sailing lake as a getaway for the hurricanes.

TX is high on my list.  Sounds like Dago is great, (except perhaps cost of living and potentially traffic on the roads).  I love Charleston and we have tons of small boat sailing in the SE in general.  Inland cost of living isn't bad, but compared to TX it's pretty high.  

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 3:56 PM, chrismSD said:

Hello anarchists of the small boat world. I currently live in San Diego and I'm on the search for cool retirement locales that will be fun, have opportunities for sailing, and allow my dollar to go farther than it goes in southern California. Wide open to suggestions. Many thanks.

Great lakes you will learn to sail much faster than you ever dreamed of in San Diego:
isa1.jpg

Web-Header15-980x325_857821253.png

• Like 1

Coast Guard friend of mine can't wait to retire and move back to Traverse City Michigan.   He was a chopper pilot stationed in Traverse City,  Puget Sound, Kodiak, and Juneau and wants to go back to Michigan for the sailing and diving.

On 9/13/2019 at 4:54 PM, SecondWindNC said:

There aren't many places your dollar will go farther than in eastern North Carolina, and the sailing grounds are phenomenal.

Decent inland sailing near Raleigh as well, if you're not into going rural.

Way more sailing opportunities around Charlotte on Lake Norman (4 active yacht/boat clubs) than any lake near Raleigh. But both have a lot of light air months, and neither begin to compare to San Diego. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 11:07 AM, sushi said:

Do you have a Hampton One Design sailing with you?  

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, WCB said:

Park City, Utah. Great summers, mild winters with the sun (roads clear by early afternoon after every snow fall), skiing and sailing.

Thanks much, I did not think of Utah but it is a state of great beauty. 

• Like 1