DA946554-6599-4DE2-910D-B07EBE698408.jpegOld photo; favorite boat 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

No.

Well I guess if it did that could go two ways.. 1) make small in/out body adjustments very easy.  2) make tacking and jibing really exciting! 

• Like 1

Probably my two favorite pics. Need to hit up Luka for some photos of me sailing my new black one. Though I would like to point out that, despite me obviously jumping out of the boat in picture 1, she is still completely flat!

@RobbieB Steve Clarke in the UK actually did make a seat like that at one point. It was basically just the frame with a bucket seat running along the inside on runners, very similar to the seat of a rowing shell. Unfortunately that eliminated one of the nice bonuses of the sliding seat - it has enough volume and buoyancy that, if/when you hit a lull and go in to windward, it will keep you afloat long enough that you can get back to the boat and won't tip over to windward. The seat actually will act as a kick stand for you for a little while. It won't do it for very long - no seat has enough buoyancy that it will stop the boat from eventually going over. But it does buy you some valuable time. Also the seats are shaped so that, when they hit the occasional wave, they skip along the top of it and don't create much additional drag. Take away the volume and you take that away as well. Plus with the bucket seat arrangement it's hard to get yourself all the way out to the end (you're legs don't reach the gunnels when you're all the way out) or hike off the end of the thing. Overall it was a cool idea but nonetheless was soon abandoned.

So, the typical move is, rather than keeping your ass in some sort of bucket seat that slides, you instead just slide your ass along the seat using your feet (either on the gunnels or the foot wells) to propel yourself inboard or outboard. The only downside of this method is it does create some general wear and tear on your posterior, which is why after a few days of tweener weather you'll hear many in the fleet begging for enough breeze for us to hike off the end of the seat as shown below rather than sliding our butts along it.

@martin.langhoff do cats not count as dinghies? Whelp, great photo nonetheless. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Best,
Willy

IC Flip.jpg

IC Powerd Up.jpg

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Wow.  A lot going on there...

TBH I think the gybing technique in that vid is a lot harder than the one I use. Mine is 5 steps.

Also that video has 10k views!? Good God.

• Like 2

And why one does not pad the sliding seat with anti skid or neoprene, ask me how I know. Seriously, end of seat is best place to be on the water, so freakin fun! This was first day on new to me AC, very windy.

AC FIRTS DAY.jpg

Edited by ortegakid
AD PIX

gallery_2532_1307_354305.jpg

broke hiking stick, or we’d be flatter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bill4 said:

44D30489-8D11-4CF3-8D51-DACF24E2E6EA.jpeg

Dayyum, that Lightning is a good-looking boat. I don't think there is -any- angle they don't look graceful and fast.

That's difficult to do with a hard-chine hull, brilliant design

FB- Doug

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bill4 said:

i love lightnings. they are such great boats!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

You need to add "MXRAY 589" to your signature line ;-)

I USED TO HAVE ALL MY BOATS LISTED, THEY CHANGED SIG RULES. LOVED THAT LITTLE TURD!

On 9/19/2019 at 7:28 AM, bill4 said:

Hey our boats have pretty much the same paint scheme. See Post 11 above

2 hours ago, Locus said:

Hey our boats have pretty much the same paint scheme. See Post 11 above

Close! Looks like yours is white below the stripe. And I do have a bit of a chunk out of my bow, but it is patched up better! :P

• Like 1

AHHHH... Frostys!!!!

Here's mine.......currently for sale on CL.......near Seattle..1989 International 14, built in UK shipped to Annapolis, designed by Bob Ames (V15 vanguard)

Image may contain: sky, ocean, boat, outdoor, water and nature

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dieharddinghysailor said:

Here's mine.......currently for sale on CL.......near Seattle..1989 International 14, built in UK shipped to Annapolis, designed by Bob Ames (V15 vanguard)

"Obsession" is a perfect name for an I14!

Here's mine at the SF world's last year... Also for sale in Toronto

fullsizeoutput_11fd.jpeg

• Like 8

This was in pretty good breeze last weekend... fun and scary stuff at the same time :D

MOT_8890.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, sailfst said:

swthbeer (2).jpg

They were always faster than the GP14 and cooler boats than the snipe. Like a little star boat (but you already know why).

22 minutes ago, Daniel Holman said:

Some more gratuitous and highly self indulgent San Fran.

credits Jenn Virskus

Dan H 2018-I14 Worlds-HR-6991 - small.jpg

GBR 1556 2018 I14 Worlds HR-6985 smaal.jpg

A1847v2.jpg

That's freakin awsome. I love it when the board is out of the water like that.

• Like 1

My 2 boats sailing at Royal Varuna Yacht Club Pattaya Thailand.

OK GBR2083 now sails with personal number THA17

9A83FC84-EDCB-4A54-ABFC-BA2D254504FF.jpeg

C727B7E5-0117-469E-A114-8DFE2EC76224.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris Maas said:

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 9.01.37 AM.png

Black Betty.....!  Do you still have an IC now that she's busy winning races in the UK..?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dieharddinghysailor said:

Black Betty.....!  Do you still have an IC now that she's busy winning races in the UK..?

No, all I have are keelboats now. I'm not really sure why that has happened.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:01 PM, 17mika said:

This was in pretty good breeze last weekend... fun and scary stuff at the same time :D

MOT_8890.jpg

I understand it gets pretty dicey foiling in lumpy seas....

3 hours ago, RobbieB said:

I understand it gets pretty dicey foiling in lumpy seas....

If it's breezy and wavy downwinds get pretty "interesting". Upwinds are moreless ok in any kind of waves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 17mika said:

If it's breezy and wavy downwinds get pretty "interesting". Upwinds are moreless ok in any kind of waves.

Down wave was the hardest nut to crack when the Navy and Boeing were all busy building hydrofoils. It even has a pretty good discussion in the 1960s PNA.

1 hour ago, shaggymatt said:

Can I do two? Props to the photographer, upwind shots IMHO are usually so-so, I love this one. 

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7648.jpg

Lightnings are such pretty boats, they're classics

In this upwind shot though, the skipper should have given a big ease (or better, dropped the traveler) before putting the tiller up so hard. The rudder is always a brake but it looks like he just hit the pedal hard.

FB- Doug

009BC194-BB81-49AA-9A74-7CBFBCCA9ADF.thumb.jpeg.e54b97f8f492550c9f86bb2bbf47fa29.jpeg

me and my dad in the fireball that his dad (my granddad) built. You can tell it’s me skippering by the poor start

• Like 2

Loaned my boat to a friend to sail the Austrian Championships.
Love this pic.

Lisa.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Lightnings are such pretty boats, they're classics

In this upwind shot though, the skipper should have given a big ease (or better, dropped the traveler) before putting the tiller up so hard. The rudder is always a brake but it looks like he just hit the pedal hard.

FB- Doug

This was typical of a lake regatta when the breeze is perpendicular to the shoreline, 45º shifts, we parked and in the same race two boats capsized. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GER308 said:

Loaned my boat to a friend to sail the Austrian Championships.
Love this pic.

Lisa.jpg

Girl AND Finn! Can't have too much of either :)

• Like 1

Okay, this is not my personal boat, one of a fleet I help with

High school kids on their first sail, ever

DSCN9461op1.jpg

Yeah the boat is an unexciting little dump truck... Oday Javelins (we have 6 now)... but they work, they actually sail, they're tough enough for this service (and they get used hard), they're not too scary, and they're what we have!

http://nbnjrotc-sail.blogspot.com/

FB- Doug

• Like 6

On the way back to the shore, from the premiere sailing with my Frankenboat built this summer, around an ancient BIC410 hull and a Blaze main.

CF95D48E-4A23-4C2F-8D7F-5DD0F642DE2A.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, revintage said:

On the way back to the shore, from the premiere sailing with my Frankenboat built this summer, around an ancient BIC410 hull and a Blaze main.

CF95D48E-4A23-4C2F-8D7F-5DD0F642DE2A.jpeg

Got any pics of it foiling... yet??

;)

Actually, you don't look happy in this pic. Problem(s)? The boat looks like fun!

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Actually, you don't look happy in this pic. Problem(s)? The boat looks like fun!

i'd be unhappy if i had to come in from sailing too!!

• Like 1

Actually, I was concentrated to to find the best way to land on the beach :-) . But I wasn´t overly happy with the placements I had choosened for the trim cleats . It sailed well and all in all I had a great ride with the unused sail I had bought from UK. Have sailed a few times more with it and bit by bit I am getting closer to satisfaction. If you wonder about the slack lines from the rear of the wings, they are a part of the system where the leeward wing is lifted, when you load the windward with your butt :-) .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

ahhh, the memories.  <;~]    

Cool video Michael. And it is interesting to see that power cat race committee boat we built for JSC what, like 40 years ago at the end of the video? 

8 hours ago, Chris Maas said:

Cool video Michael. And it is interesting to see that power cat race committee boat we built for JSC what, like 40 years ago at the end of the video? 

Hah,, 'We'!?   <;~D

...all I recall doing was coating the inside with sealer**, definitely a Maas touch.

..........**.... likely lost enough braincells on that, that I don't recall much else.  <;~l

3 hours ago, Foilman said:

Sailing with my kid.  Fireball Worlds this past August. 

C91D73DF-5A03-4291-B3CE-CEB91C181E63.jpeg

man. i miss my fireball! great shot

35 minutes ago, dgmckim said:

man. i miss my fireball! great shot

That can be fixed - buy another one!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eyeshotpar said:

Coronado 151968409956_Commodores2015-1.thumb.jpg.2fbc1a7384cfdd815088d6acd384238f.jpg

Those are great boats. N.C. State sailing club had five of them, mostly beat-up and dead on their feet -BUT- sailable. They had trapezes that we abused insanely.

IMHO these boats deserved to be a lot more popular... it'd be nice if they were better built but compared to everything else that wasn't the problem. If there was a class of these near us, I'd get one to sail with my wife in a heartbeat

FB- Doug

• Like 1