Sign in to follow this  
Sol Rosenberg

Dorian Bahamas Relief

I mentioned in another thread that I was planning a trip south to take a truckload of hurricane relief items to the freight boat that runs the route from WPB to Marsh Harbor and Freeport. If you wish to participate, and you do not live between St. Augustine and West Palm near I 95, you can do so by purchasing e-gift cards from Lowe’s, Home Depot or Walmart and sending them to me.  I’ll take pictures of the receipts, the merchandise, and the delivery. If interested, PM me and I’ll tell you how to do it and where to send it. 

If you live between St. Aug and WPB, and can bring stuff to an exit on I-95, PM me with details. A list of items they will take is on the shipper’s website here: https://www.tropical.com/news/2019/carnival-corporation-partners-with-tropical-shipping

Many people in the affected areas are now unemployed on top of being homeless. The US has denied them temporary protected status, so they can’t come here to get by until things are up and running again. Let’s heap some help on them instead of the ration of shit they already have. I’ll be heading down on Monday or Tuesday. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I mentioned in another thread that I was planning a trip south to take a truckload of hurricane relief items to the freight boat that runs the route from WPB to Marsh Harbor and Freeport. If you wish to participate, and you do not live between St. Augustine and West Palm near I 95, you can do so by purchasing e-gift cards from Lowe’s, Home Depot or Walmart and sending them to me.  I’ll take pictures of the receipts, the merchandise, and the delivery. If interested, PM me and I’ll tell you how to do it and where to send it. 

If you live between St. Aug and WPB, and can bring stuff to an exit on I-95, PM me with details. A list of items they will take is on the shipper’s website here: https://www.tropical.com/news/2019/carnival-corporation-partners-with-tropical-shipping

Many people in the affected areas are now unemployed on top of being homeless. The US has denied them temporary protected status, so they can’t come here to get by until things are up and running again. Let’s heap some help on them instead of the ration of shit they already have. I’ll be heading down on Monday or Tuesday. 

Did I get this because you've blocked me or for some other reason?

Sol Rosenberg cannot receive messages.

This is a good opportunity to get your actual relief supplies to a devastated community with free transport from Sol and free shipping from the freight company. I'm happy to help fill Sol's truck and help fill that freighter. It's high-impact aid to people who are really suffering right now.

Buying an e-gift card only took me two minutes.

Thanks, Sol!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lasal said:

This is a good opportunity to get your actual relief supplies to a devastated community with free transport from Sol and free shipping from the freight company. I'm happy to help fill Sol's truck and help fill that freighter. It's high-impact aid to people who are really suffering right now.

Pretty much exactly what I told my wife when I said I wanted to donate.

6 hours ago, lasal said:

Buying an e-gift card only took me two minutes.

7 minutes but I did have to use the magic magnifier on my phone to read my card.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Pretty much exactly what I told my wife when I said I wanted to donate.

7 minutes but I did have to use the magic magnifier on my phone to read my card.

Cheney bros is taking trucks to the same location with donations from local organizations. 

https://www.yoursun.com/charlotte/news/bringing-our-donations-to-the-bahamas-after-local-businesses-hold/article_196ee9be-d4ba-11e9-8bee-bb43b530d2d1.html

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Yes, I've been following their efforts and those of Captains for Clean Water to help them on Facebook. I know other groups and businesses are helping to fill the Cheney trucks. I hope they can sustain the effort. Does anybody remember Michael? The FL panhandle is still a mess from it and they have trains and interstate highways.

9 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Yes, I've been following their efforts and those of Captains for Clean Water to help them on Facebook. I know other groups and businesses are helping to fill the Cheney trucks. I hope they can sustain the effort. Does anybody remember Michael? The FL panhandle is still a mess from it and they have trains and interstate highways.

Recovery takes time, will, desire, investment, and effort.

We still have a big vacant spot in the middle of town from Charlie in 2004 and a lot of vacant lots elsewhere.

On 9/15/2019 at 7:59 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

where do I send the e gift card?

thank you..If I lived closer, id be there  too

34 minutes ago, dacapo said:

where do I send the e gift card?

thank you..If I lived closer, id be there  too

You've got your message box either full or blocked.  I'll send my email to your FB messaging....  

• Like 1

Several people have graciously donated E-Gift cards, which I will use tonight at Lowe's. You can still send them through this afternoon, about five more hours. 

After that, if you still wish to contribute, there are some great ways to get help directly to the people who are helping on the ground in Grand Bahama and the Abacos.  

World Central Kitchen has provided hundreds of thousands of meals there at this point, and continue to do so.  They use a helicopter to check on the outer islands and other hard to reach communities, to check on their needs, and adjust their drop-offs accordingly.  Donate to them here: https://donate.wck.org/give/236738/#!/donation/checkout

Sol Relief (no affiliation with me) started with a group of pilots in St. Petersburg, and has grown exponentially.  They also do direct delivery to the islands.  https://solrelief.org/donate/

If you want something more directed to a particular community, dig around a bit on Facebook and you will find things for pretty much every island over there.  The Hope Town Volunteer Fire and Rescue was providing good information before, during and after the storm, and has been hard at it ever since.  Read about them on Facebook and elsewhere.  An early Sailing Anarchist is involved in this.  Their donation link is https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=Hyw0ihMaHMkpOn_LQyjEUAZU6xa-FGSuHDamEyQa7XNqHeC5zWXiU_WMmZLzi7HRCM6tjW&country.x=US&locale.x=US

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

You've got your message box either full or blocked.  I'll send my email to your FB messaging....  

my mb is all emptied now.....there were a lot of messages there , some from 2016 and earlier

19 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

World Central Kitchen has provided hundreds of thousands of meals there at this point, and continue to do so.  They use a helicopter to check on the outer islands and other hard to reach communities, to check on their needs, and adjust their drop-offs accordingly.  Donate to them here: https://donate.wck.org/give/236738/#!/donation/checkout

Not sure where she was reading it but my wife was telling me about a helicopter pilot who spotted some rubble and looked a bit closer the next day to find survivors in an isolated area of the Abacos with no roads. Apparently didn't find them earlier because many were Haitians, in the Bahamas illegally, and afraid of being deported. They were hiding from helicopters.

11 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Not sure where she was reading it but my wife was telling me about a helicopter pilot who spotted some rubble and looked a bit closer the next day to find survivors in an isolated area of the Abacos with no roads. Apparently didn't find them earlier because many were Haitians, in the Bahamas illegally, and afraid of being deported. They were hiding from helicopters.

Yup. Saw that. I hope they are near conch beds. 

45 minutes ago, dacapo said:

my mb is all emptied now.....there were a lot of messages there , some from 2016 and earlier

Got it, thank you. 

Status check. Spent last night emptying my boat shit out of the truck. And emptying, and emptying. I’ll finish that this morning and get our stuff bought and loaded before picking up the load from the biker bar. The truck holds a bit more than I remembered and I had more stuff in it than I remembered. 

22 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The truck holds a bit more than I remembered and I had more stuff in it than I remembered. 

chin chimenea ,chinchimenea,
chin chin cheroi
es tipo de suerte ,el desollinador
chin chimenea, chin
chimenea, chin chin cheroi
mi suerte tendrán si mi mano les doy
Si me besa esa chica, tendrá suerte hoy

El que desollina es al parecer, en
este gran mundo, el mas mísero ser,
aunque un vago viva el desollinador,
no hay tipo que viva, más feliz y mejor

chin chimenea ,
chinchimenea,chin chin cheroi
chin chimenea, chin
mi suerte tendrán si mi mano les doy

chin chimenea ,
chin chimenea,chin chin cheroi
chin chimenea, chin
mi suerte tendran si mi mano les doy

Yo escojo implementos de los superior
escoba muy fina y cepillo mejor

Por la chimenea, sobre los tejanos
se asoma la luna y pelumbra se ve
entre humo y estrellas
y cerca del sol
esta el mundo que goza
el desollinador
como yo veo mi londres
ahh que belleza

chin chimenea ,chin
chimenea,chin chin cheroi
cuando tu vas conmigo me siento feliz
en este gran mundo no hay gente mejor
que los buenos
chin chin cheroi chin chin cheroi
chin chimenea, chin chin chin cheroi

:D

God Speed Good Man

I just heard from a buddy who lives in Marsh Harbour (and is alright) that the supplies he'd like to see more of is the sticky back water and ice shield rolls, for fixing roofs.  I'll be picking up a good bit of that, along with tarps.

If anyone else wants to kick in, I can print out the e-certificates until I leave my office in about 3 hours.  After that, I'm away from a printer for this trip. PM me for details. 

• Like 1

Okay, we raised $400 for Lowe’s, in four contributions, and one contribution for $50 for Home Depot. 

That turned into 9 three-packs of cloth/leather work gloves and one multi pack of cloth work gloves from Hime Depot. Gloves are a big need. 

From Lowe’s, the request for sticky back ice and water shield was met with three 36’x3’ rolls of shield. One large tarp, two medium sized tarps and two boxes of reusable contractor sized garbage/debris bags put us well over the $400 mark. My contribution, aside from the overages at Lowe’s and HD is part of the stuff at the biker bar and the buck and a half for fuel. 

Purchase pics coming once I shrink them down so they will load. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Okay, we raised $400 for Lowe’s, in four contributions, and one contribution for $50 for Home Depot. 

That turned into 9 three-packs of cloth/leather work gloves and one multi pack of cloth work gloves from Hime Depot. Gloves are a big need. 

From Lowe’s, the request for sticky back ice and water shield was met with three 36’x3’ rolls of shield. One large tarp, two medium sized tarps and two boxes of reusable contractor sized garbage/debris bags put us well over the $400 mark. My contribution, aside from the overages at Lowe’s and HD is part of the stuff at the biker bar and the buck and a half for fuel. 

Purchase pics coming once I shrink them down so they will load. 

That's something. But PA, really? There's a bunch of blue collar workers there with next to no government support. Come on! Tom gets it. Right Tom? If there's another ship we should do a $20 Buck thing. Sol's van needs the miles and 20 times 20 is another $400. Jeez.

Thanks Sol. Good call on the ice and water shield. That's what we use out here in the mountains. Insta roof! Or a roof under your expensive tile roof that won't leak.

• Like 1

Sol, I'm sincerely disappointed in our collective response. That takes NOTHING away from what you'reorganizing, but crows almighty people, y'all claim to care, to want good things to happen for the poor folks who are suffering, and ya ignore this opportunity for your help to bypass bureaucracy, grift and to get directly to those who need it?  

I'll take a month long break from.posting here for every $1k that's raised within the week. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lasal said:

That's something. But PA, really? There's a bunch of blue collar workers there with next to no government support. Come on! Tom gets it. Right Tom?

Not sure what you're asking?

If there is another boat I'll keep posting but I'll kick in again if Sol wants to do another run. I'll do my best to get us up to 1k however. Thanks, Guy! :)

2 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Not sure what you're asking?

Well out of nine people on PA, only four of us tossed s roll of paper towels to the Bahamas. We are no better than Trump. Sad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Sol, I'm sincerely disappointed in our collective response. That takes NOTHING away from what you'reorganizing, but crows almighty people, y'all claim to care, to want good things to happen for the poor folks who are suffering, and ya ignore this opportunity for your help to bypass bureaucracy, grift and to get directly to those who need it?  

I'll take a month long break from.posting here for every $1k that's raised within the week. 

This was done in very short notice. I’m impressed to be honest. Let’s get this one done and then talk about another. 

Now the fun part. Tropical says that they can’t get into Marsh Harbour yet. They can get to Freeport, where they have been getting aid by the cruise ship load. The airport in Marsh just received a mobile air traffic control station via C-17, and I think smaller aircraft have been getting in there. 

Need input. Is everyone alright with shipping to Marsh by air?  A buddy owns an FBO at FLL, and is organizing relief flights with another FBO at the airport. He has a flight leaving tomorrow morning which I cannot make, but I can drop off for the next flight. Still free of freight charges. Jetscape FBO is doing the delivery, I think. Waiting to hear from my buddy with the details and if the morning flight is full. I really don’t feel like driving all night but I will if I have to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

TBH that's a disincentive ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Need input. Is everyone alright with shipping to Marsh by air?  A buddy owns an FBO at FLL, and is organizing relief flights with another FBO at the airport

Sure, air direct to Marsh is great especially with items that can fit in a small plane that are needed asap.

I was looking, mostly unsuccessfully, for info on the current conditions. If anyone has an up to date news source on the recovery this might be a good place to relate it.

Thanks. I'm a pretty good project manager but I'm a terrible fund raiser, so sorry to brow beat on PA!  There are so many disasters and crises out there and donors have commitments already. Natural disasters like hurricanes and tornados freak me out -- partly it's being powerless to help much.

7 hours ago, lasal said:

Well out of nine people on PA, only four of us tossed s roll of paper towels to the Bahamas. We are no better than Trump. Sad!

I'm still not sure what's political about this. People in the northern Bahamas got hammered hard but they're conveniently located next to Florida, where lots of us feel attachment to those islands and the people who live there. This is one of many tiny, privately-run relief efforts. People are loading up their fishing and cruising boats and heading over. We're not loading up a whole cruise ship but we're ... um... doing something. I'm happy, not sad.

7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Need input. Is everyone alright with shipping to Marsh by air?  A buddy owns an FBO at FLL, and is organizing relief flights with another FBO at the airport. He has a flight leaving tomorrow morning which I cannot make, but I can drop off for the next flight. Still free of freight charges. Jetscape FBO is doing the delivery, I think. Waiting to hear from my buddy with the details and if the morning flight is full. I really don’t feel like driving all night but I will if I have to. 

Works for me and is a good example of what I was just saying. It's not just fishing boats and cruisers but pilots like the (unrelated) Sol group above and these Fort Liquordale operations. Little groups of people add up to lots of help in the aggregate. We can be more flexible than a bigger operation that is filling a cruise ship.

• Like 1

It’s not political at all but I kinda wanted to make a decent counterpoint to the conspiracy theory thread. A tiny bit of decency goes a long way. 

I am on the list for an email alert from Tropical Shipping the moment that they schedule the Marsh Harbour route. They have to survey the route across the banks to make sure they can make the passage, for one thing. With the storm sitting there for 36 hours pulling up water, a Whole lotta sand got moved around. Smaller boats that have made the trip since the storm have reported minimal debris in the water. I expect that route to be running soon. Kinda surprised it isn’t already. 

There are some really good groups of people making a difference. They’ll need to keep doing it. 

Okay, I’ll make it political. Sen. Rubio says that the US should commit to helping to rebuild the Bahamas, lest we cede the area to Chinese influence. The Chinese already have a base on Great Abaco, just west of Cooperstown, supposedly for fishing. I know what that will do to fisheries. Check it out on google earth. Notice the deep channel by Spanish Cay. I’d like to keep Chinese influence limited to that. But who’s gonna pay for it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It’s not political at all but I kinda wanted to make a decent counterpoint to the conspiracy theory thread. A tiny bit of decency goes a long way. 

Fair enough. Hope you don't mind my linking this thread in Sailing Anarchy in the "whining about PA" thread.

8 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Okay, I’ll make it political. Sen. Rubio says that the US should commit to helping to rebuild the Bahamas, lest we cede the area to Chinese influence. The Chinese already have a base on Great Abaco, just west of Cooperstown, supposedly for fishing. I know what that will do to fisheries. Check it out on google earth. Notice the deep channel by Spanish Cay. I’d like to keep Chinese influence limited to that. But who’s gonna pay for it?

Chinese influence is growing around the world and I don't see our efforts doing much to displace it. If they want to help in the Bahamas that doesn't mean we can't. If we want to help, it doesn't mean they can't. I wish they were more responsible in their fishing operations around the world but I've wished that about Bahamian commercial fishermen for years. Not much left for us recreational fishermen in their wake.

Maybe we could abandon the Mission in Niger, whateverthefuck that is, and spend a bit of our bloated military budget in the Bahamas? I really have a lot less confidence in that idea than in private efforts like the topic one.

We do kinda need a 501 (c) 3 corperson so that our efforts, if sustained, could become tax-deductible.

2 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Fair enough. Hope you don't mind my linking this thread in Sailing Anarchy in the "whining about PA" thread.

Chinese influence is growing around the world and I don't see our efforts doing much to displace it. If they want to help in the Bahamas that doesn't mean we can't. If we want to help, it doesn't mean they can't. I wish they were more responsible in their fishing operations around the world but I've wished that about Bahamian commercial fishermen for years. Not much left for us recreational fishermen in their wake.

Maybe we could abandon the Mission in Niger, whateverthefuck that is, and spend a bit of our bloated military budget in the Bahamas? I really have a lot less confidence in that idea than in private efforts like the topic one.

We do kinda need a 501 (c) 3 corperson so that our efforts, if sustained, could become tax-deductible.

There is a 501c3 with a Sailing Anarchist involved that is in place and starting to gain momentum. Check out Hope Town United. 

• Like 1

By the way, I have a pretty large pile of big tarps in my shipping container and had to use them a couple of years ago to cover a couple of houses we were building. So they have some holes in them from the nails and they're not folded all that neatly and they're a bit dirty. I'd like to send them to the Bahamas and replace them with new ones. I'll probably find a local drop off but if you want to add to your driving and come get them that works too.

I also have a pretty large pile of furring strips. I haven't seen these mentioned but they're necessary if you ask me. Tarps just rip around roofing nails when a thunderstorm comes but if they're nailed down using furring strips they stay on through thunderstorms.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

This was done in very short notice. I’m impressed to be honest. Let’s get this one done and then talk about another. 

Now the fun part. Tropical says that they can’t get into Marsh Harbour yet. They can get to Freeport, where they have been getting aid by the cruise ship load. The airport in Marsh just received a mobile air traffic control station via C-17, and I think smaller aircraft have been getting in there. 

You're closer to this than most of us are - I don't think that there's any question about your intent or judgement - go with what ever looks like it'll work best. 

• Like 1

Leaving in the wee hours to FLL and dropping off at Jetscape FBO early AM. Should have it dropped off in time for breakfast at my old favorite place, a stop at our south office to pick up some crap, and should be back in the office by late afternoon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Leaving in the wee hours to FLL and dropping off at Jetscape FBO early AM. Should have it dropped off in time for breakfast at my old favorite place, a stop at our south office to pick up some crap, and should be back in the office by late afternoon. 

Enjoy a good cuban sandwich for me while you're down there. 

On 9/17/2019 at 10:47 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

i get paid tomorrow....do another and I'll give more

• Like 1

No prob. Thanks to all of you who participated. 16 hours in that truck is a long day. Full report and pics tomorrow. 

We should do this again next month. By then more people will be back there and wanting building supplies. Good times. 

• Like 2

Okay, some pics.  

Reciepts

71257447_2450776681668683_4490408717652570453900_2450776701668681_55860434803139

The home depot stuff.  Multi packs of work gloves.  

70587256_2450776791668672_82391138249474

The Lowe's stuff.  Sticky back water/ice shield (3), two medium and one larger tarp, two boxes of contractor bags (reusable). 

70547304_2450776835002001_30505277391917

71550128_2450776898335328_61654479301876

Keep in mind that was possible through the donations of five SAers over just a couple of days, from a post in PA.  The next one needs to run longer and get better placement.  The process works.  

The loaded goods (once all the other Palatka donated crap was offloaded.... )

70916535_2450774025002282_87120796565572

The delivery

70584607_10219767350191238_8686602430248

70889566_2450773611668990_20724245332471

70273504_2450773618335656_67114681017806

John Evans, out busting ass with the ground workers.  A huge thank you to John for organizing all of these flights.  Awesome effort.  

70388939_2450773755002309_40484093210740

16 hours from the time I left the house to the return. 600 miles covered. The next trip should not be right away, and should be almost entirely focused on construction tools and supplies.  

I put the fuel expenses on Mr. Underhill's American Express card, want the number? 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

No prob. Thanks to all of you who participated. 16 hours in that truck is a long day. Full report and pics tomorrow. 

We should do this again next month. By then more people will be back there and wanting building supplies. Good times. 

Man, that is a long day driving a less than stellar handling machine. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Okay, some pics.  

Reciepts

71257447_2450776681668683_4490408717652570453900_2450776701668681_55860434803139

The home depot stuff.  Multi packs of work gloves.  

70587256_2450776791668672_82391138249474

The Lowe's stuff.  Sticky back water/ice shield (3), two medium and one larger tarp, two boxes of contractor bags (reusable). 

70547304_2450776835002001_30505277391917

71550128_2450776898335328_61654479301876

Keep in mind that was possible through the donations of five SAers over just a couple of days, from a post in PA.  The next one needs to run longer and get better placement.  The process works.  

The loaded goods (once all the other Palatka donated crap was offloaded.... )

70916535_2450774025002282_87120796565572

The delivery

70584607_10219767350191238_8686602430248

70889566_2450773611668990_20724245332471

70273504_2450773618335656_67114681017806

John Evans, out busting ass with the ground workers.  A huge thank you to John for organizing all of these flights.  Awesome effort.  

70388939_2450773755002309_40484093210740

16 hours from the time I left the house to the return. 600 miles covered. The next trip should not be right away, and should be almost entirely focused on construction tools and supplies.  

I put the fuel expenses on Mr. Underhill's American Express card, want the number? 

The fuel for the van, or for the jet? That Lear burns about 195 gallons an hour I'm guessing.

Just now, lasal said:

The fuel for the van, or for the jet? That Lear burns about 195 gallons an hour I'm guessing.

For the van, which doesn't seem to be far behind sometimes...yet it is. 

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

For the van, which doesn't seem to be far behind sometimes...yet it is. 

I don't doubt it, your van is a beast! Did you buy that thing just so you knew you could open a food truck and say fuck it all if you wanted to? :)

5 minutes ago, lasal said:

I don't doubt it, your van is a beast! Did you buy that thing just so you knew you could open a food truck and say fuck it all if you wanted to? :)

No, it's for pulling boats and storing gear for the program. By the time I get too old to sail, I'll have it set up as an RV and will sell everything that doesn't fit in it, and go see the country until I croak. 

So somehow I missed this thread and want in, can donate to the Hopetown but would rather it go where I know it's helping.  I could do both, we just dodged a soggy bullet here.

Sol - WFD sir, and thanks for providing an opportunity to let us help.   D - just reading about the Wx in your area, I hope y'all make out OK.   I'm on some high ground in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley - if ya want a change of scenery for a bit - the upstairs bedrooms are empty at the moment. 

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

So somehow I missed this thread and want in, can donate to the Hopetown but would rather it go where I know it's helping.  I could do both, we just dodged a soggy bullet here.

Hope Town has a special place in my heart...starting in 1966

https://www.facebook.com/HTVFR/

PS if you read down a few days ago they said $$$$ is what is best...actually go back to the first posting after the hurricane and read what they have said...

• Like 1

First Mate Xty and I were just talking about the Chinese worker housing on Abaco, mere trailers on the work-site, totally blown away, I imagine.
Two visits ago we gave a lift to a bunch of school-girls who lived in "the village", now completely destroyed, I find from this video:

Thanks for your bottoms-up relief effort, Sol.  I am just catching up on all this, having spent the last while saying goodbye to my father, just a couple weeks after a glorious sail with him on the Georgian Bay.  So glad he didn't have to process all this destruction in his final days: we kept this news from him. At 90, he had a fine run.

TC was one of his favourite places in the whole world.  I promised him long ago that one day, I would meet him there on my boat...

and finally did, in 2018.  But now many of the places in Xty's slideshow (and at least one of the people) are no longer with us...  here's to those who keep calm, and carry on!  Thank you.

• Like 1

Well done -

Employees at this Florida bar pulled about $14,000 off the walls — and they’re donating it to Hurricane Dorian relief

Excerpt -

It’s been a tradition at the Siesta Key Oyster Bar for years: Customers staple a dollar bill or two onto the wall for a laugh, and to help decorate the neighborhood bar in Sarasota, Fla.

But for the past month, dozens of employees have been gingerly peeling the money from the walls and ceiling for a purpose — to donate to Hurricane Dorian relief in the Bahamas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/10/01/employees-this-florida-bar-pulled-about-off-walls-theyre-donating-it-hurricane-dorian-relief/

B92A6870-BE29-4BAC-8E46-67A6FDA79643.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sean said:

It’s been a tradition at the Siesta Key Oyster Bar for years: Customers staple a dollar bill or two onto the wall for a laugh, and to help decorate the neighborhood bar in Sarasota, Fla.

The walls at the restaurant on Cabbage Key are decorated the same way. I once tried to figure out how many dollars were hanging and came up with about $30k. Just a guess based on counting a small area then figuring how many such areas there were.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:20 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

If we do that four more times, we can actually surpass...

A little girl and her lemonade stand

...“After watching the news and seeing the devastation, Brianna had the idea of opening a lemonade stand for a few days,” said her mother Stacy. “She wanted to earn her own money to help those in the Bahamas.”

After three days and about 100 customers, Brianna counted the donations. She was elated. She raised $2,009.

She wrote a letter to Samaritan’s Purse explaining about the “lemon-aid” stand. She tucked a check into an envelope and mailed it to the nonprofit corperson.

OK, so I changed a word to make it political. ;)

Donations Still Needed

Which is not surprising. That will be "headline news" for quite a while yet.

Lydia Ruth Hill, who is the ninth generation of her family to live on Abaco, evacuated her parent’s coastal home but watched it disintegrate over the next day.

She spoke to the Sun by cellphone Thursday night.

Hill’s group has named itself Abaco Hands and Feet, based on the fact they are helping each other in some very basic ways.

It is one place where donations from Agape Flights, based in Venice, is going. Coming in through its planes, Agape has teamed up with Mission of Hope, which has its ship, True North, docked in Abaco.

Together, they are moving needed donations in and around the island.

Agape Flights put out a new list for supplies on Friday, seeking “immediate needs” that must be collected by 4 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17. It includes macaroni and cheese dry mix in a box; canned soups; canned beef; Spam; tuna in water; canned sardines in tomato juice or oil; Vienna sausages; ramen noodles in cups; and Carnation evaporated milk.

Collection hours are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

The group asks people donating to sort and box similar items together.

The items will be going to another hard hit area: Freeport.

No, really. They want Spam.