Sign in to follow this  
Lake Schooner

Vesper Cortex

Just announced. Personally, I'm pretty excited about it's potential and small form factor. No idea how much it costs. Would need to chain that handset down so it doesn't walk off or go for a swim... Wonder how accurate that heading output will be. 

https://www2.vespermarine.com/cortex

image.thumb.png.081b6c08df3bbafc85f4140fca3db919.png

Looks very cool.  Would definitely need a wrist strap or lanyard on that handset as I don't suspect they'll be cheap...

They'll sell a version of the handset with a power cord. Unfortunately, the pricing is through the roof. I also dislike the use of 2.4GHz wifi as the link between the base and the controls. Too many wifi transceivers on many boats, too few channels, network topology issues too if you try and integrated. 

Panbo did a thorough write-up with many more details. 

IStream, I hear you on the 2.4GHZ.

As for pricing, it is high, but for someone that does not yet own any components it might make sense. I think they're pretty close to the mark if you were to buy each component individually. I find myself in that situation now. My boat has zero electronics at the moment and I've been trying to figure out where to start this journey. 

Basic VHF with AIS display ($400)

+ Vesper XB800 ($750) OR Digital Yacht SOTDMA transponder ($1000)

+ splitter ($250)

+ basic heading only sensor ($150)

+ monitor like Maretron SMS100 ($700) 

Ballpark $2k 

Now if you already own one or more of the expensive components it's a different story. 

What's the expected life of this system? The handset is basically a mobile phone and they typically last only a couple of years and can fail quite easily when dropped etc. Can the battery be easily replaced? Can you even get a new handset after 5-10 years?

My current VHF is from 2005 and there are plenty of much older ones still going strong although without DSC.

Simrad/B&G has also just released a VHF/AIS transponder combo. It can already be bought unlike Vesper. Unfortunately it uses separate antenna outputs for VHF and AIS.

BAM!!! This is exactly what my "new" boat needs.The boat currently only has the original VHF and no AIS. The simplicity of the install, maintenance and troubleshooting of a combined unit are impossible to ignore.