Israel Hands

Lusting on Yachtworld

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I would suggest going outside and yelling at the clouds.

That's pointless - I think I'll just chase some kids offa my lawn.

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

Do you think the stern overhang extends the WL in practice?

I've seen overhangs that appear to work - they can't be tucked up too high above the water or they never reach each other but I've seen plenty of pics of old, long overhang boats where they are fully immersed.

Has to make a difference between light air/short W/L and heavy air when several feet more W/L get "created".

There was a Soverel 39' Locura here - the one that got butchered into that bizarre "motorsailer" - that had about 6' of stern overhang that ran out only inches above the water. Once that boat created any sort of wave at all the whole thing would have been immersed and lengthened the W/L by several feet.

6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The stern overhang also allows a fixed back stay which, due to the size of the sailplan and length of the boom, would be otherwise impossible.

Aha!

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Aha!

Indeed. Back in the Good Old Days, they would just have a boomkin out back. Also gave you a good place to poop from. Dropping a deuce into the aft cabin isn't nearly as stylish.

Indeed. Back in the Good Old Days, they would just have a boomkin out back. Also gave you a good place to poop from. Dropping a deuce into the aft cabin isn't nearly as stylish.

Image result for express 37 sailboat

The Express 37 has great aft footholds.

12 hours ago, MaxDog said:

I have my dream cruising boat, so I lust after racers.  I'm impressed at how low the asking price on this one is.  I guess it's just that hard to sell a 30 year old race boat, no matter how good the condition and pedigree.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/taylor-40-3594908

Screenshot_2019-10-13 1990 Taylor 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www yachtworld com.png

Is that the proverbial Big Friggin' Wheel?

On some days, I luster after this beautiful Camper&Nicholson 35.

I imagine how my wife would ask me where I was going and I would reply: "Me and me lads, we'll spend A Day at the Races. Don't worry love, we'll not bet or some'in".

And then, in the evening, we would have won the Round the Island Race. With ease.

0x0_325_26165677659c3c99c30f50.jpg

Sort of off topic, but I’m pissed at Yachtworld for redoing their web site so that “Advanced Search” is no longer a pull-down option on the home page, and the damn site doesn’t remember previous searches (even though it claims to do so).  Add to that that the boat pictures now don’t load on the search page about 50% of the time.  Why is it that people always hire software engineers who don’t have a single clue about what the site they are rebuilding is actually used for?

• Like 5

Change for changes sake.

3 hours ago, The great unwashed said:

Why is it that people always hire software engineers who don’t have a single clue about what the site they are rebuilding is actually used for?

Been there...Wrote a bunch of software in the late 80’s 90’s and 2000’s.  I taught myself coding because I was dyslexic (making working with 6 and 7 digit decimals a real chore) And, what we had to work with was archaic and often just plain unworkable. Always got pissed when an application forced the user to accept a choice.  Most developers had no clue who or what they were writing for. Worse, in the end, our statewide IT person who shall be (in my mind) forever known as LBJ.  (Lane Brain Jane) could not even run the programs she was hired to teach.   

Wrote software for myself and the people I worked with.  My proudest moments were when para-professionals could do my job with virtually no training other than using the software I wrote.  These were Industrial Engineering applications so the work was not a given.  

My next series of applications were for a agency that worked with people suffering from Developmental Disabilities.  Being a State Agency, the forms and contracts were complicated and very tricky.  Software found all the nuances of the forms that were so easily missed.  

Everything I wrote, offered quick choices to save time but Always allowed the user to input thier own choice if my choice was not fitting for the situation.    It only made sense.  And, it also made sense for someone doing the work to create the application because that person knew what was needed and the problems needing to be overcome.  

I realize I am bragging a bit, I sure was pleased with the results of my effort.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matagi said:

I imagine how my wife would ask me where I was going and I would reply: "Me and me lads, we'll spend A Day at the Races. Don't worry love, we'll not bet or some'in".

And then, in the evening, we would have won the Round the Island Race. With ease.

Your current ride is nicer.

in the evening, we would have won the Round the Island Race. With ease.

No matter what happens, that bit will forever remain only in your imagination.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:08 PM, socalrider said:

Here's a zombie apocalypse escape pod for the latter: gotta love a 55' aluminum cutter with 4 cabins, 11 berths, and... a tiller!  Love it.  Bit spendy tho.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1991/alubat-ovni-56-3596477/

image.thumb.png.d7e7ad842716286be0b0dca97f11c473.png

I read the description and thought French... sure it was!

Is it just me or does it seem like every time they change the site it's more difficult to use? Especially on a tablet. I don't understand too many apps but the YW app seems like a POS.

• Like 4

It's not just you - this latest change makes it extremely frustrating to use.

Do they just have too many IT staff with time on their hands or something? Make big changes to degrade it - brilliant.

I couldn't even find a way to contact them to tell them about what a POS it is now.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

I couldn't even find a way to contact them to tell them about what a POS it is now.

That feature is working properly, at least. <_<

• Like 1

I just did some more hunting and found it - everyone should contact them and tell them to change back.

I've sent many messages, never a reply. Too bad someone from their site doesn't lurk here.

• Like 1

I've sent 4 messages about the latest change--with zero response.  Among other things, the "advanced search" feature is no longer easy to get to, and the site no longer remembers previous searches.  Also, since the last change, there are almost no US boats on the new boat listings--maybe 25% of what was listed on daily basis before.  Almost all European boats now.  I'm wondering if Yachtworld was bought by another search site and is being re-purposed to serve a different clientele.  

• Like 1

The manufacturers listed on their search engine dropdown list are missing a fark-load of premier brands, past and present.

13 hours ago, The great unwashed said:

I've sent 4 messages about the latest change--with zero response.  Among other things, the "advanced search" feature is no longer easy to get to, and the site no longer remembers previous searches.  Also, since the last change, there are almost no US boats on the new boat listings--maybe 25% of what was listed on daily basis before.  Almost all European boats now.  I'm wondering if Yachtworld was bought by another search site and is being re-purposed to serve a different clientele.  

Probably if you guys went on the site and instead of just browsing around non-seriously actually spent some money, like US$250-300,000 (just click the handy little “Add to Cart” icon), the site analytics would recognize you as serious Yachtworld website users, and then what were once normal features of the site (and now available only to Yachtworld Admiral Level contributors) would now kick in.  It’s easy :-) :-) :-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Probably if you guys went on the site and instead of just browsing around non-seriously actually spent some money, like US$250-300,000 (just click the handy little “Add to Cart” icon), the site analytics would recognize you as serious Yachtworld website users, and then what were once normal features of the site (and now available only to Yachtworld Admiral Level contributors) would now kick in.  It’s easy :-) :-) :-)

"I fuckin' hate a cover charge, man. You want me to pay ten bucks to drink your warm $5 Budweisers and listen to your nephew butcher Brown-Eyed Girl?"

• Like 1

A while ago I was looking at some boat, it deserved an email. Now, a long time later the broker still sends me periodic links to listings, doubt they are all his. That's OK except sometimes he will respond with "I see you've been interested in XXX boat, are you ready to make a bid?" Really kind of creepy knowing he is watching what I do on the interwebs. I guess he gets notified if I click through from his email?

7 hours ago, bmiller said:

A while ago I was looking at some boat, it deserved an email. Now, a long time later the broker still sends me periodic links to listings, doubt they are all his. That's OK except sometimes he will respond with "I see you've been interested in XXX boat, are you ready to make a bid?" Really kind of creepy knowing he is watching what I do on the interwebs. I guess he gets notified if I click through from his email?

Either that, or the broker is watching you through the little tiny camera on your phone or computer, and can monitor your online boat browsing behaviour...the camera-monitoring software on his end judging, via it’s powerful facial analysis algorithms (built up from scans of 100s of millions of unaware faces buried in front of screens everywhere), how serious/interested you might be about a particular boat you clicked on by the micro-expressions on parts of your face (eyes, pupils, corners of mouth, brow, etc etc etc) as you browse. The software then kicks out an email to you, signed by the friendly broker...making you think he/she is just looking out for you... :-)

(It’s coming, if it’s not already here...)

15 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Either that, or the broker is watching you through the little tiny camera on your phone or laptop and can monitor your online boat browsing behaviour...the camera-monitoring software on his end judging, via it’s powerful facial analysis algorithms (built up from scans of 100s of millions of faces), how serious you might be about a particular boat by the micro-expressions on parts of your face (eyes, pupils, corners of mouth, brow, etc etc etc) as you browse. The software then kicks out an email to you, signed by the friendly broker...making you think he/she is just looking out for you... :-)

maybe.  But you'd think that a company capable of that would be able to build a website that can save your search settings.

2 minutes ago, socalrider said:

maybe.  But you'd think that a company capable of that would be able to build a website that can save your search settings.

LOL!!  Good point.

18 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Either that, or the broker is watching you through the little tiny camera on your phone or computer, and can monitor your online boat browsing behaviour...the camera-monitoring software on his end judging, via it’s powerful facial analysis algorithms (built up from scans of 100s of millions of unaware faces buried in front of screens everywhere), how serious/interested you might be about a particular boat you clicked on by the micro-expressions on parts of your face (eyes, pupils, corners of mouth, brow, etc etc etc) as you browse. The software then kicks out an email to you, signed by the friendly broker...making you think he/she is just looking out for you... :-)

Believe it or not, on the advice of a very savvy computer engineer guy,  I have a little piece of tape on the camera.

Either that or someone has implanted a monitoring chip with wifi in your brain which logs visual input, endorphin and arousal chemistry, and a crude transcript of your thoughts ("Hot boat sexy want wife tho en suite shower mortgage") and relays your vulnerability to boat brokers around the country, for a price.

I find I get less spam email by wearing three layers of aluminum foil on my head. Coincidence? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Believe it or not, on the advice of a very savvy computer engineer guy,  I have a little piece of tape on the camera.

Zuck does that too, which is pretty fucking hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Either that or someone has implanted a monitoring chip with wifi in your brain which logs visual input, endorphin and arousal chemistry, and a crude transcript of your thoughts ("Hot boat sexy want wife tho en suite shower mortgage") and relays your vulnerability to boat brokers around the country, for a price.

I find I get less spam email by wearing three layers of aluminum foil on my head. Coincidence? 

:-):-)

12 minutes ago, bmiller said:

True story.

Three of us were sitting on our ferry (live on an island) last summer going home after a day of work.  I sail and climb sometimes, friend is a big climber.  Talk turned to extreme sports type of things, and somehow we ended up talking about high altitude sky-diving.  Guys sponsored by Red Bull go to the upper atmosphere, I guess, and skydive down a very, very, very long way.

No word of a lie, within a day or so, we each had high altitude skydiving and related extreme sports videos on our YouTube main pages.  And neither of us had searched this or a related topic at all recently.  It was quite unsettling.  Siri - it’s listening.  I’ve no other way to explain it.  We both randomly discovered this a day or so later.

I’m not the tinfoil hat type, but I’ve disabled a bunch of Siri-related settings on my phone now. (And have never used Siri anyway.)  It’s the ultimate personal data mining, no?  That, and cameras.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:55 AM, Matagi said:

Where is the Advanced Search now located?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

You could most certainly fit a hoof or two through those fairleads.
0C3243E0-8697-4B6F-B68C-752419F17872.thumb.jpeg.86ed4fe549052f9499c754be16532073.jpeg

It's unclear if you're referring to the bow chock or the hawser pipe, both of which are indeed huge.  Neither of those is a fairlead. 

1 hour ago, eliboat said:

It's unclear if you're referring to the bow chock or the hawser pipe, both of which are indeed huge.  Neither of those is a fairlead. 

Back in my sailing ship days, way back before the incandescent light bulb, and horse carriage, and even before the Internet, we usta call’em “hoof holes”.

Ya hearda the Horse Latitudes, ain’tcha, laddie?  Hadley cells.  Global air circulation. And all that rot?  You sound like a book larnin’ type, throwing around fancy words like “hawser pipe”, “fairlead” and “bow chock”, so I betcha heard of Hadley cells and whatnot. The Horse Latitudes is part of one of’em, see, where, how it went was, when we got to that band of generally lightish winds, we weren’t always too certain ‘bout making our destination with enough victuals like water, see? So, we had no choice at times in those parts but to push overboard some of livestock we were carryin’, mostly but not only horses, in order to make sure the crew would have enough water for the many days that would remain of the voyage.  So, ever since they’ve called them hoof holes in the ship, as the poor damn horses they dug in their hooves to keep from getting pushed over (horses not being particularly good swimmers and such: have you ever seen a horse swim?)

Of course, there are alternative explanations for the origin of the term “Horse  Latitudes”, but I’ll be dammed if those aren’t called hoof holes, for all the very good historical reasons I just ‘splained to ya.  That’s what we call’em anyway.  And there you have it.  The lowdown about hoof holes, straight from the horse’s mouth.

See “Etymology” in this here link for more useful cocktail party conversation tidbits about the Horse Latitudes.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_latitudes

Advanced Search feature on Yachtworld: click on "your recent searches" drop-down menu on the home page.  It will display some previous searches.  Click on any of them--and get ready for disappointment.  You'll have a (harder to use and dumbed-down) Advanced Search menu on the left side, but you will NOT have your previous search cued up--all the search categories will be blank.

So, fill in all the damn info for your specific search, and then notice that 90% of the listings that pop up are for boats outside of the US--apparently US brokers are not using Yachtworld much any more.  I have no idea where they all went.

3 hours ago, eliboat said:

Here in the home of the Cup they are known as bulwark and toe rail fairleads.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Anyway, fortunately you don’t need one of those half million dollar custom aluminum jobbies to get to Antarctica :-)

One of the greatest sailing feats ever...does anyone remember this?  https://www.sail-world.com/Canada/Ushuaia-to-Antarctica-by-beach-catamaran--the-Drake-Passage-conquered/-10853?source=google.ca

Interesting crossing of the Drake passage - crazy to take that on with a beach cat.  Six guys just rowed across, which is also nuts, though the rowers had a chase boat, didn't see one for the beach cat:

https://apnews.com/733e3eda7d1f318cc8beabd961c424d3

I've no interest in a circumnavigation or even an ocean crossing (at least not in my own boat) these days. Maybe more like a comfy coastal cruiser able to go to the Carrib and back comfortably. This one caught my eye recently and the design was recently included in CW's top 50 cruising designs this year.

1988 Al Mason 44

72769859_2797680346933454_24864501077471

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/mason-44-3569076/

I talked to the broker and it's basically been used as a day sailor so would need some upgrades to go cruising but it seems a good value to me at $120K. There's another one on Yachtworld slightly better equipped for $100K more.

ETA The down side is a 6' draft. I asked the broker to verify if that might be with the board down but he says no centerboard, just a deep keel. Anyone know if the ditch is doable with 6' draft?

3 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I've no interest in a circumnavigation or even an ocean crossing (at least not in my own boat) these days. Maybe more like a comfy coastal cruiser able to go to the Carrib and back comfortably. This one caught my eye recently and the design was recently included in CW's top 50 cruising designs this year.

1988 Al Mason 44

I talked to the broker and it's basically been used as a day sailor so would need some upgrades to go cruising but it seems a good value to me at $120K. There's another one on Yachtworld slightly better equipped for $100K more.

What a beautiful boat!  That's a lot of teak...

Just now, Israel Hands said:

What a beautiful boat!  That's a lot of teak...

Yeah, and it looks to me that there are a few sprung bungs in the deck. Might be a good negotiating point. 

I ain't scared a no brightwork!

5 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Yeah, and it looks to me that there are a few sprung bungs in the deck. Might be a good negotiating point. 

I ain't scared a no brightwork!

I'd help ya for a day in exchange for a daysail!  :D  She looks in great shape.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The great unwashed said:

Mason drew beautiful boats--nice sheer lines, good integration of the house into the overall flow of the boat.  This one doesn't have the dreaded off-center companionway, does it?

Ahem...

2.jpg

A sistership, but the same never-sail-on-port-tack companionway.

I read about one that was heeled over in a meltemi enough to downflood the cabin through the gaping hole.

• Like 1

The cabinhouse is high enough that if you're over far enough to flood through that companionway it wouldn't matter if its offset or central. Al Mason knew how to design sea boats.

(Dodgers, closing hatch covers, washboards, are all good ideas.....)

• Like 1

Ahem...

2.jpg

A sistership, but the same never-sail-on-port-tack companionway.

I read about one that was heeled over in a meltemi enough to downflood the cabin through the gaping hole.

I read that they were on starboard tack at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willin' said:

1988 Al Mason 44

ETA The down side is a 6' draft. I asked the broker to verify if that might be with the board down but he says no centerboard, just a deep keel. Anyone know if the ditch is doable with 6' draft?

This is a really nice looking boat, but way, way too much money for me to keep.  The costs of having someone keep all that varnish looking good, would totally bankrupt me and my neighbors and my friends and my relatives and would probably eat up Joe Borrow’s signing bonus as well.  

Still She is Pretty!

13 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

This is a really nice looking boat, but way, way too much money for me to keep.  The costs of having someone keep all that varnish looking good, would totally bankrupt me and my neighbors and my friends and my relatives and would probably eat up Joe Borrow’s signing bonus as well.  

Still She is Pretty!

Jeez, kids these days!

ETA: A little hard work never hurt anyone! If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right! (I can here my Dad telling me these things when I was a tadpole. Gawd I hated hearing that crap. I'm sure more will come to me later!)

Now, Get off my lawn!

1 minute ago, Willin' said:

Jeez, kids these days! Get off my lawn!

Sorry but the grass was so inviting, I just wanted to throw a couple of footballs to my friends.  And it wall went crazy, now they give me this big trophy, I am playing on a world class college football team, with a coach that no one outside of Louisiana can understand (but his players and fans cause As Posted earlier, English is a third language in Louisiana) 

What else can I say.  It is a gorgeous boat, that I would love to own and sail.  

On 10/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, Ishmael said:

And in the not so old days, the last step on the cockpit of a Soverel 33 was aka "The Poop Deck"

7055046_20190418151424052_1_XLARGE.jpg?t

Did 1986 SORC on a Soverel 33 that had been somewhat tweaked for the IOR rule.   The motor was located in the bow, resulting in the boat getting squirrelly when the bowman went forward for a sail change.   Head was also located there, and it was verboten to use while racing.   One would got to the last step with their Lirakis safety harness on, take one wrap around the stern pulpit upright with the lanyard and clip in to the toe rail.   Once that was confirmed connected, one would face forward, drop trow and lean back into the harness.   When you were done, you could do a quick dip inward towards the transom and have a nice saltwater bidet!  

No hit for sailing performance, but you definitely did not want to be in viewing distance to anyone...

- Stumbling

On 11/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, The great unwashed said:

Advanced Search feature on Yachtworld: click on "your recent searches" drop-down menu on the home page.  It will display some previous searches.  Click on any of them--and get ready for disappointment.  You'll have a (harder to use and dumbed-down) Advanced Search menu on the left side, but you will NOT have your previous search cued up--all the search categories will be blank.

So, fill in all the damn info for your specific search, and then notice that 90% of the listings that pop up are for boats outside of the US--apparently US brokers are not using Yachtworld much any more.  I have no idea where they all went.

When I Google Yachtworld, their website comes up first on the list. You can click on their home page, but there are other secondary choices that take you directly to certain parts of their website, one of which is Advanced Boat Search (also Boats for Sale, Used Boats, Power Boats and others). If you click on the Advanced Boat Search option, you get the good old screen with all the proper filters (like wood hulls ;))

By god, woodyguy, you are correct.  So the idiots at yachtworld have bungled their own front page but left the search engine available thru a back door.  Now that is quality work.  Glad to know how to get to the better search engine, though—mahalo!

Looks as though the Australian version of Yachtworld still has the proper search page.  

25 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Wow...that boat just about perfectly fits as the fantasy world cruiser that I will never have.  Just for fun, I might rename her Bunga Bunga.

Why -- do you want Berlusconi knocking on your hull at 3AM with a bag of coke and a couple 14 year olds?

Mmm. Don't answer that!

21 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Why -- do you want Berlusconi knocking on your hull at 3AM with a bag of coke and a couple 14 year olds?

Mmm. Don't answer that!

Actually this lady says that Mr. B gave her that nickname, and she organized the parties...

'I am bunga bunga,' says 36-year-old German actress Sabina Began

Sabina Began

and I don't want any of them knocking on the hull!  Just think that Bunga Bunga is a more fun name than Loomba Loomba

6 minutes ago, Crash said:

What a beauty, right up until you look at the transom.  That transom just ruins the boat to my eye.  

no kidding!

Off hand I can't recall a good looking tail end that Chance ever designed.

The most famous one.

image.png.db7631b7dffd23a0b0add28ed7b8cf66.png

You mean most infamous right?

Looking at pics of Chances boats, I was struck by the number of them that show the stern wave just kissing the end of the transom.  I think he essentially decided any more transom was a waste from a sailing length perspective, so just "chopped" it off at that point.

Image result for britton chance yacht designer

Image result for britton chance yachts

51 minutes ago, Crash said:

What a beauty, right up until you look at the transom.  That transom just ruins the boat to my eye.  

Truncated transom - and not in a good way. But 3 items together made me hit the eject button before even getting to that:  $189K  -  1970  - Aluminum

It looks like he got to the stern, ran out of ideas or got tired, and handed the pencil to somebody else. The flat sheer and low deckhouse with the tiny ports doesn't look good to me, and I think  it makes for a dark interior.

Looking at the photo gallery, I am also not a fan of the offset you-know-what, or the upside down furler, or the bulkhead-mounted commode, and I would like to know who picked out the dreadful floral fabric for the cushions. Probably someone who works in a mattress factory.

chance.thumb.png.3bf9d335e343a4195cc4b2538d9aee31.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crash said:

You mean most infamous right?

Looking at pics of Chances boats, I was struck by the number of them that show the stern wave just kissing the end of the transom.  I think he essentially decided any more transom was a waste from a sailing length perspective, so just "chopped" it off at that point.

Image result for britton chance yacht designer

Image result for britton chance yachts

that's a nice looking boat

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Looking at the photo gallery, I am also not a fan of the offset you-know-what, or the upside down furler, or the bulkhead-mounted commode, and I would like to know who picked out the dreadful floral fabric for the cushions. Probably someone who works in a mattress factory.

Top down furlers are a thing. :ph34r:

That floral fabric looks more like shower curtain than mattress cover to me.

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That floral fabric looks more like shower curtain than mattress cover to me.

I agree.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:34 AM, SloopJonB said:

Off hand I can't recall a good looking tail end that Chance ever designed.

The most famous one.

image.png.db7631b7dffd23a0b0add28ed7b8cf66.png

I think he got it. Its a big shark with no tail.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:27 AM, eliboat said:

Bottom two are sisterships to my boat.  Awesome ride.  Yes lots of bright work, but I don’t mind.  I get thumbs up wherever I go.  

Noice.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:53 PM, Veeger said:

When I really let loose with Sandman's Dream Cash,  I start to think about something like this:

https://heymanyachts.com/in-production/yachts/40-pph-pocket-pilot-house-sailing-yacht/

Then I start thinking like  Bob P's 'Mr Lucky' and figure, okay, I'll take one for here, one for Maine and one for the Baltic/Norway area....

Then.... I just go do the supper dishes.....

Wow, I love it but that's one complicated mother, roadside service required.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:20 AM, Wess said:

Actually while the wife and I exist in a totally different socioeconomic strata from the dude making that quote and owning Finn, we totally get what he is saying and relate.  Have been very fortunate to own many dinghies (including to this day) as well as big offshore cats, many monohulls, and more recently a small tri.  There is a thrill of sailing in the dinghy and the tri that you just don't get to the same extent in the monohulls and big cats.  After years of looking for a bigger boat to do more cruising on (the tri we had was just too small) and thinking we were going back to a bigger cat... we couldn't pull the trigger.  Lots of space and very comfortable.  Fast.  But the language used above exactly describes how we felt.  Didn't want to go day sail those boats. Great for passage or cruising but for just sailing it really did lack "an intimacy with the experience and sheer thrill of sailing."  We ended up buying a bigger tri and absolutely love it.  So much so that we had the chance to let her go and make a rather handsome profit on it and opted not to.  Rich or poor, old or young, I believe there is something to what the dude said. I got into sailing to sail. The joy of sailing. There are many great boats were sadly that is lost simply for the joy of being on the water.  We are about 45 feet LOA and still go out just for a 2 hour evening sunset sail... and I mean sail... where the cocktails and sunset are nice but still secondary to the joy of sitting on the windward float, tiller in hand and simply sailing the boat.  Hope that doesn't sound preachy.  I just mean never give up on the joy of sailing as priority #1!

I don't know what to say except, bravo?

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

I guess that after 12 years it became passe to the owners 

But what a years!

It is a floating luxury appartment, that can bring you to the most wonderfull harbours in the world.
Sailing is fast and luxurious as well. You won't end last in any regatta.
Travel across oceans doesn't last too long either.

Living off-shore isn't the only thing, but don't spoil it before it begins.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:50 AM, Wess said:

.. and I mean sail... where the cocktails and sunset are nice but still secondary to the joy of sitting on the windward float, tiller in hand and simply sailing the boat.  Hope that doesn't sound preachy.  I just mean never give up on the joy of sailing as priority #1!

and there it is. so - this boat I got has a wheel. The boat's still on the hard and I haven't even sailed it yet - but, its got this thing going on. a round thing taking up a large part of the cockpit. yes, a wheel.

I spent a very brief time motoring from dock to boatyard - and (the horror) - I kind of liked the wheel. but my fear is that it was only because "motoring". 

but sailing with a wheel - not sure if that's an actual joyful thing or not (the boats only 30').. But on a boat with many projects, how high to prioritize removing the wheel? (appears to be a relatively simple project aside from fabricating/acquiring the wood itself). 

4 minutes ago, floater said:

and there it is. so - this boat I got has a wheel. The boat's still on the hard and I haven't even sailed it yet - but, its got this thing going on. a round thing taking up a large part of the cockpit. yes, a wheel.

I spent a very brief time motoring from dock to boatyard - and (the horror) - I kind of liked the wheel. but my fear is that it was only because "motoring". 

but sailing with a wheel - not sure if that's an actual joyful thing or not (the boats only 30').. But on a boat with many projects, how high to prioritize removing the wheel? (appears to be a relatively simple project aside from fabricating/acquiring the wood itself). 

Uh all of a sudden this long ago quote of mine keeps coming up for some odd reason.  And on this occasion you have me lost.

What is "this" boat to which you refer and what are you asking me?  For our boat (a Corsair C36 trimaran) we spent a lot of time (and I do mean a LOT) of time tweaking the rudder rake to get to near perfect rudder balance.  With sail trim I can induce light (because the rudder is balanced) lee or weather helm.  In the tiller (or the extension) I can feel immediately how the boat is going.  So to (hopefully) answer the question helm balance and feel means a lot to us and we put a lot of effort into getting it near perfect.  As an aside this also makes it far easier for the autopilot to steer under sail. Less load and less amps.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, floater said:

Wheels are fine.  While it's true you can always lift up a tiller while youre having cocktails, you certainly cant when youre sailing, and they take up the whole cockpit in most cases.  My brain personally doesn't see the difference between a tiller and a wheel as far as helm feel (short of inherent slop in a traditional steering cable setup on a wheel)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wess said:

..we spent a lot of time (and I do mean a LOT) of time tweaking the rudder rake to get to near perfect rudder balance.  With sail trim I can induce light (because the rudder is balanced) lee or weather helm.  In the tiller (or the extension) I can feel immediately how the boat is going.  So to (hopefully) answer the question helm balance and feel means a lot to us and we put a lot of effort into getting it near perfect. 

exactly. you've spent time balancing the rudder - to get response on the tiller. has anyone, ever, spent time balancing their rudder to get feedback on the wheel?

no insult to all you wheel favorers out there - you know who you are ;) - but as a fellow sailor who might simply be reliving the joy of sailing as a child (every time I go out) that was learned on a dinghy..

so yeah. can it really be joyful sailing if a wheel is involved?

1 minute ago, floater said:

exactly. you've spent time balancing the rudder - to get response on the tiller. has anyone, ever, spent time balancing their rudder to get feedback on the wheel?

no insult to all you wheel favorers out there - you know who you are ;) - but as a fellow sailor who might simply be reliving the joy of sailing as a child (every time I go out) that was learned on a dinghy..

so yeah. can it be really be joyful sailing if a wheel is involved?

You are maybe missing the point. The tiller is the most direct form of steering there is. But a wheel ain't a wheel ain't a wheel.  Its at least partly and maybe even mostly about the linkages and feedback.  Hydraulic?  Cables?  Other?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, floater said:

This is nonsense.  Horseback riding is horseback riding whether English or Western or Bareback.  Swimming is swimming regardless of the color of your suit.

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

This is nonsense.  Horseback riding is horseback riding whether English or Western or Bareback.  Swimming is swimming regardless of the color of your suit.

people like their motorboats too. just sayin..

12 minutes ago, floater said:

people like their motorboats too. just sayin..

that would be motorcycling not a version of horseback riding :)

the point Wess made was subtle - not at all what a sailboat should have. but what does a sailboat have when it gives pure sailing pleasure?

people like riding their motorcycles too - just saying.. :)

Wheels are O/K but tillers have much nicer feel.

Hydraulic wheels suck majorly. I sold a boat once primarily because of the hydraulic steering. It was like driving a '59 Caddy - the only way you knew it was turning was by watching the bowsprit swing across the horizon.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, floater said:

You need to get out more. There are a lot of fantastically fun boats with wheels.