Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Marlow Excel Fusion

So I'm thinking but exactly sure that my mainsheet line is the Marlow Fusion..... It's really nice and light and super soft. The best stuff I've ever had. So I wanna buy some more but most places just don't have it or not in the size I want. I had ordered some Samson Warp Speed II from Fisheries just to try. It's nice but not similar at all.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar Samson line or Marlow?? I called Fisheries and tried to ask them but they were not sure about that Marlow line. And all I have in Austin really is a shitty West Marine and hardware store that actually carries better line than WM :(

Take a look at New England Ropes Nexus Pro. Dyneema/polyester cover over a dyneema core

I’m looking for 8mm. 5/16th”. Meant to put that in the initial post. 

I was going to send you a PM, but looks like you have that turned off, or your inbox is full.

I have a couple of lines in my box that you might want to look at.  Maffioli Superswift is probably pretty close.  Another that I've used and liked, but isn't quite a light is Salsa; really nice feel.

I'll be up at the AYC Centerboard regatta, and will be setting the boat up and practicing the weekend before.

4 minutes ago, DaveK said:

What about Alpha ropes SSR?

I love SSR as a spin sheet (this is what I run on my boat), but don't know if I'd like it as a main sheet...

Edit, I'm a moron, I used SSR as my working portion of the main sheet on my a-cat and it was good, but it doesn't have the life of some of the other lines when running it through a ratchet block or a cleat.

Just started using the new Samson MLX3 on jib sheets  so far I like it . it is soft and reasonable price .  use single braid Samson control DPX on the  main , very soft and low friction and runs very fast.  Fisheries has both

• Like 1

Odd Fisheries wouldn't know about Excel Fusion as they have some in stock.  Warpspeed is a harder and stiffer line, not really the same.  If you want light, soft, and flexible, a blended single braid line like Salsa or DPX would give you that.  They aren't as durable as a double braid in my experience.

Samson Control DPX is much nicer to splice than Salsa Braid, I'm not sure if that is a concern for your application.  It's very soft and nice in the hand, but does flatten out more than Salsa Braid.

41 minutes ago, ease hike trim said:

Fisheries has Excel Fusion in stock.  Post a pic if you want to verify that's what it is.

They do have it in stock but it's either the same color as I already have or not the right size..... I can't remember. When talking to the guy there, he said it they did not stock lots of line since cost are so high to keep these large spools.

Thanks for the other ideas!!! I'll order some of both styles mentioned!!

2 hours ago, wlrottge said:

I was going to send you a PM, but looks like you have that turned off, or your inbox is full.

I have a couple of lines in my box that you might want to look at.  Maffioli Superswift is probably pretty close.  Another that I've used and liked, but isn't quite a light is Salsa; really nice feel.

I'll be up at the AYC Centerboard regatta, and will be setting the boat up and practicing the weekend before.

I'll look for ya at the Centerboard regatta!! But feel free to text me at 512-468-4300!!

Thanks!

They've rearranged since this photo was taken, but the line racks are still they same size.  Fisheries has a lot of line in stock (and more racks in the basement).  APS was similar, maybe a little less, but we know those days are past.  

Image result for fisheries supply

I was using 8mm Excel Fusion in my A-Class mainsheet - 9:1 with 2 ratchet blocks, but the ratchets  were wearing out the cover in 9 months of sailing.  I switched over to Excel R8 and love it.  8 plait cover gives it lots of grip, technora blend in the cover gives it durability, and the dyneema core allows me to taper it down for running smoothly in 7 of the 9 legs.

I have some extra 8mm laying around.  PM me if you're interested.

-Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lamorak said:

I was using 8mm Excel Fusion in my A-Class mainsheet - 9:1 with 2 ratchet blocks, but the ratchets  were wearing out the cover in 9 months of sailing.  I switched over to Excel R8 and love it.  8 plait cover gives it lots of grip, technora blend in the cover gives it durability, and the dyneema core allows me to taper it down for running smoothly in 7 of the 9 legs.

I have some extra 8mm laying around.  PM me if you're interested.

-Mike

Awesome Mile from Zihk!! I’ll pm you. So what’s up with the super warms?? Now there’s a superwarm X and V. Both 3mm neoprene? Just a super thin neoprene version? I like the original and wanna order another for a Xmas gift but thought I’d ask. 

7 hours ago, Overbored said:

Just started using the new Samson MLX3 on jib sheets  so far I like it . it is soft and reasonable price .  use single braid Samson control DPX on the  main , very soft and low friction and runs very fast.  Fisheries has both

+1

FYI Salsa is polyester and Dyneema and gains a great deal of weight when it gets wet.  Fusion is Dyneema and polypro and therefore doesn't absorb water. Apples and oranges aside from the 'soft' feel.

19 hours ago, Alex W said:

Samson Control DPX is much nicer to splice than Salsa Braid, I'm not sure if that is a concern for your application.  It's very soft and nice in the hand, but does flatten out more than Salsa Braid.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but since DPX has come up several times... Anyone know of a source for Control DPX other than Fisheries? I'm looking for 7/16 and they only sell that size by the spool. WM and Vela don't carry that size at all. 

Thank you in advance! 

59 minutes ago, Lake Schooner said:

Not trying to hijack this thread, but since DPX has come up several times... Anyone know of a source for Control DPX other than Fisheries? I'm looking for 7/16 and they only sell that size by the spool. WM and Vela don't carry that size at all. 

Thank you in advance! 

DPX runs a bit bigger then the size it  says .  i use 3/8" for the main sheet  and seems a bit larger then that in your hand but under tension in the blocks it runs like smaller the 3/8". works ok in the winch but in the electric jib winches it does not fed out good always and has gotten jammed.  The PO installed bigger winches then the boat needs so I have to use a larger size line then needed. . I bought some 1/2" DPX and it looks like 3/4" line and is way to big. now using 7/16" MLX3 and all is good in the winch . the DPX splices very easy. has a very loose weave but still does not bulk to much when spliced.  Salsa braid is easy to splice but the splice bulks up and gets very big at the splice. nice line but the splices look way to big for the size of the line

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Overbored said:

DPX runs a bit bigger then the size it  says .  i use 3/8" for the main sheet  and seems a bit larger then that in your hand but under tension in the blocks it runs like smaller the 3/8". works ok in the winch but in the electric jib winches it does not fed out good always and has gotten jammed.  The PO installed bigger winches then the boat needs so I have to use a larger size line then needed. . I bought some 1/2" DPX and it looks like 3/4" line and is way to big. now using 7/16" MLX3 and all is good in the winch . the DPX splices very easy. has a very loose weave but still does not bulk to much when spliced.  Salsa braid is easy to splice but the splice bulks up and gets very big at the splice. nice line but the splices look way to big for the size of the line

Overboard, thank you for the info. I don't have a winch on my mainsheet, just some 57mm Harken T2's and cam cleats. 7/16 is the max line size for those blocks, but based on what you're saying 3/8 might be the most efficient size for DPX. I was trying to go for the largest diameter sheet possible for maximum grip and comfort. 

17 hours ago, DaveK said:

Awesome Mile from Zihk!! I’ll pm you. So what’s up with the super warms?? Now there’s a superwarm X and V. Both 3mm neoprene? Just a super thin neoprene version? I like the original and wanna order another for a Xmas gift but thought I’d ask. 

Both use the same 3mm neoprene, but the X has more "features" - leg pocket, velcro fly, hydrobase lining, and a few others

• Downvote 1