jc1409

Cheek Block Cam cuts Jib Sheet

With winds 15 knots and higher gusts, we had a new jib sheet cut by the teeth of the cam in a cheek block.  Cut through sheet cover only.  Someone else was working the sheet - I understand sheet was only being held by cam.  Loads were high but not excessive.  Sail duration only about 1/2 hour total time, so not sustained load for long.  Sheet was new and not under/over-sized - likely a slipping issue or something else?  Would you consider this a common risk? 

What type of line was it?

Age and condition of cam?

photo?

Not sure what type of line, a picture of the line (including the cut) attached.  I'm trying to find out material.

Age/condition - new/new

I don't have a picture of the specific cam - here is a picture of a the type of 

IMG_0399.jpg

cam.jpg

That's a footblock with a lock-off.  The lock-off is for temporarily holding lines.  An example is holding the tail of an unloaded spin sheet while the winch is being used for the jib sheet.

They are not intended to be used as a cam cleat since they won't release easily under load.  And as you've discovered, the teeth are larger and chew the line.

They can be dangerous if you're easing a loaded line through them and they lock.  I have a pair on my boat - I keep the levers fully open and secured with zip-ties.

Thanks you BobJ.  I like the idea of zip-tying them, which takes care of concern of inadvertent lock.  In your opinion any concerns with using them temporarily to ease load off of a winch (with return of load to winch for ultimate release)?  Jeff

We use something like this on a 50 footer for jibes and when adding wraps. Works great. Should be fine to close load it and do what you need to do and open it 

Those foot block are ok (just ok not great) for TEMPORARY use, as in seconds not minutes. 

The pic and line looks like a Beneteau, what size boat? 

You might also check the angles for chafe or inspect it carefully for a sharp areas that need dulling. Generally, sailing upwing, tacking frequently, a highly loaded big boat jib sheet is not going to like being stopped off like that, the load in gybes is much less. Standard practice is to use a winch, maybe in combination with a cleat, to hold the jib sheet. That's what your primaries are primarily used for. What is it about your upwind technique that precludes using your primary winches to hold the jib sheets?

Thanks Bruno - makes sense.  It wasn't me on the jib sheet at the time, but I think you are right about setup at the time when this happened - foot block at the time was being used to hold jib sheet under high loads.